Sub 3:15

the one in the middle of 3:00 and 3:30

3,201 to 3,220 of 3,411 messages
19/04/2005 at 22:40
Apparently they are getting all the womens sub 3.15 results verified somehow because it would give a championship start. Read this on the where is my results thread.

Anyway what are everyone's plans now?

I am torn between giving up running for the year to concentrate 100% on my cycling or ticking over and having a proper go at a marathon in early Dec with the intention of going for sub3 or bust.

19/04/2005 at 22:43
Sorry just read someone had already mentioned about the verifying champ start qualifiers.
Blisters    pirate
20/04/2005 at 00:23
Sorry to hear about your clubmate Humph, my thoughts are with his family.

It certainly puts a poor run into perspective.

Thinking about good runs - what was the male championship qualifying time for the 2005 entries? sub 3:00 or sub 2:45? (Don't be silly)

20/04/2005 at 08:12
2:45 blisters. Is that your next aim?:o)

Shorter races through the summer for me and still thinking about an autumn marathon.
20/04/2005 at 08:54
Blisters, male champs time - 2:45; Men 18-40 GFA - 3:00
20/04/2005 at 10:34
What would the best autumn marathon be for a fast time - or more early winter for me - December would give me a couple of months after the cycling season to train. In the UK there only seems to be Luton - I must admit after FLM I am quite sold on the idea of big city marathons with crowd support.
20/04/2005 at 11:31
Morning all :-)

I've just found a photo of me at www.actionphoto.net

Not sure what I'm thinking there :-)

By the looks of it I am somewhere around the 25 mile point (embankment)

Anyway, hopefully there will be a better one available soon - I want one showing my sprint finish !!

Legs feeling good today, so can get back to training (slow and gentle) now.
20/04/2005 at 11:59
Is that you with the white gold and green vest?

I've got a couple up too - no 24253 - unfortunately the resolution on this laptop screen is so poor I can't really make out if I look embarassingly bad in them.

20/04/2005 at 12:05
Hi all,

I have caught up with performances, generally some great results and I am really pleased for all of you that achieved or exceeded targets, too many to mention really but you all know who you are.

Hamertime, great effort and attitude and you beat me and doubtless enjoyed it more as well :-) congratulations.

I'm certainly going to have another go at this marathon lark, maybe in October, my coach says I did too well in training just to go back to shorter stuff, I thought of Halstead for a few minutes but that is undulating and was run in 30c temps last year!

This thread has been fantastic as a source of learning for me and inspirational in the performances and dedication you all have. My main lessons are:

Need to drop some weight to be more competitive at the longer distance.
Need more mid week semi long runs and MP tempo runs to condition heart rate.
Need to live on vit C and avoid all human contact for 2 weeks prior to target races to avoid the lurgy!

SusieBee, It would be good to try and keep up with you at a race over the summer, my next focus is Hatfield Broad Oak 10k in May, but maybe you and Ty will be at Felsted in July? I know he's won there a couple of times.
20/04/2005 at 12:37
Humph - condolences to yourself and your clubmate's family and friends.

Future plans - I'm getting married in July so very little opportunity for racing between now and then. Will probably still do 30-35 miles a week to maintain fitness though. I'll be having a three week honeymoon so should be fully refreshed (although a little less fit)come August. For the rest of the year I'll concentrate on Halves and 10Ks. I really want to do a sub 1:25 half and have strangely never done a 10K, so anything under 40 minutes would be good.

May well have another go at a sub 3:15 marathon next spring, possibly Paris.
20/04/2005 at 12:48
Well done y'all however you fared.
20/04/2005 at 13:01
Hi Popsider, yes thats me in the white, gold and green vest :-)

Am concentrating on getting back to my superfit state from now (need to lose 3/4 kilos) and will be back to my sub 40 10k's soon
20/04/2005 at 13:25
Pipes, thanks for that link to the Tower Birdge photo. That's rather a nice one!

hilly, yes, the one of us with our medals at the finish did also come up on my photos. I'm definitely going to order it. We all look so happy! In 2003 my equivalent photo has me on the verge of tears (after a 4:16 finish, I should add!)

I am impressed my hilly's 10K club run. I jogged the mile to my club (second claim) to thank them for their support along the way and jogged home again. Tonight I am going to jog two miles to my club (first claim) to thank them for their support and jog home again.

My next plan is this:
- enter Berlin
- do a lot of 5K and 10K races over the summer to really try and get my times down
- hopefully along the way break the 20 min 5K barrier and 40 min 10K barrier
- bring my half marathon time down
- train at the pace I would be training for if I were training for a 3 hour marathon
- run Berlin with reckless abandon, do or die, hoping to get under 3 or else a little closer or else just blow up and know I at least tried.
20/04/2005 at 13:27
And, dynamokev, congrats and good luck!
20/04/2005 at 14:03
Thanks Ratcatcher - can't wait. After all the nerves I had the night before the marathon god knows what I'll be like before my wedding day. I think I better have a good long run in the morning to calm myself down!
20/04/2005 at 14:04
RC,

I have no doubt you'll break the 40 min 10k barrier (I'll pace you if you want) over the summer.

Looking forward to seeing you at a race soon !

Sim
20/04/2005 at 14:29
Hi all

Well done indeed to all of you who beat 3:15 - particularly Hilly and RC. Fantastic and just reward for everyone's hard work.

Of course those - like me! who didn't manage it had also worked hard and we will all be raring to go for the next one I'm sure.

I finished in 3:15:56, having been on for 3:10 at 20 miles. You will infer that I hit the wall rather hard at that point. Not sure what happened, but I'd had a sore throat for a couple of days and generally felt a bit low. It was quite hot wasn't it? But I didn't feel that was a factor at the time, though my poor bald head is still sore today!

Well done again everyone.

I'm thinking of Edinburgh or Blackpool now, but will leave it a couple of weeks before deciding.

Sim
20/04/2005 at 14:48
Good afternoon everyone.

I hope you have a great day, dynamokev.

RC, Pipes, and Hilly, as Becky says, I really don't think there are going to be many non-champ start women in that time bracket. At 12 miles my colleagues said that there were so few women amongst all the guys that it was pretty easy to do a head count. Btw, I told them the approx time that I would be appearing, so it wasn't as if they were going to stand there counting for hours!

Humph, that would be great and I'm pretty impressed that you've worked out who the b/f is! I'm really keen on racing at Hatfield Broadoak. I was spectating last year and was bowled over by the general atmosphere and just how beautiful the village is. I really wanted to be out there running it, although I recall it was a pretty warm day and a number of athletes were suffering in the heat. I'll have a word with the Mr regarding Felstead too.

My main aim through the summer is to build up to around 60 per week, which is about 45% more than my peak mileage this year. As my work contract finishes at the end of June, I'm considering taking a month off to train. I'm also keen to get my 10k time down to around 40 minutes or below, run a sub 20 minute 5k and, possibly, a sub 1:30 half. With regard to the latter, the warm summer months may mean that won't happen, but there's always a chance owing to the unpredictability of the Great British weather!

Having never trained for an Autumn marathon previously, I guess the longer-than-half-marathon distance races are going to be sparse. RC, being local, do you have any in mind at all?

I'm now off to have a look at some of your photos - hopefully there's jno ust-before-collapse ones of me lurking out there.....

20/04/2005 at 14:49
Sim - so near and yet so far. How strict are FLM on the sub bit of sub-3:15. Does anyone know if they will accept 3:15:56 as a MV40 GFA? Given the fact that it is difficult to get a good pace at the start with all the crowding. Might be worth finding out.
20/04/2005 at 14:50
Sim, congrats! Sorry to hear that you also started the race not feeling 100%.
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.