Sub 3.30 2011

is it too early to start a thread....

1,421 to 1,440 of 1,537 messages
10/04/2011 at 21:38
Great time Bassrun. I would be delighted with that, congratulations!
10/04/2011 at 21:59
I'll be pleased if I can still stand up and speak by this time next Sunday!
11/04/2011 at 07:27
Well done bassrun - sounds like you enjoyed it, and you'll nail 3.30 next time
11/04/2011 at 11:43

Well done Bassrun - I presume it was as hot as the rest of the country on Sunday - any sea breezes? A near 3:30 is great especially if its hot - can easily add 15 minutes to a time or result in a DNF. I would imagine there were a few of those?

Anyone seen a forecast for Sunday recently. I believe a cold front is on it's way - will it last till Sunday?

In Holland this week - perfect for a few gentle and very flat training sessions. Got here late yesterday after getting on a train that unexpectedly sailed right past my destination. Got off at next stop and reversed journey. I need to understand the difference between a Sneltrein and a Stoptrein!

11/04/2011 at 12:23
The cold front is definitely on its way - still too early to tell about Sunday.  Much better here today.  14 degrees forecast for London on Friday after about 10 deg on Wednesday - so climbing back up although hopefully not to fast!!  Just heading off for a Sports Massage
11/04/2011 at 13:11
well there is no way it can be hotter than Paris was - for those who saw it on TV it was that hot! Now i have 6 days to recover before doing it all again. Hopefully 14 degrees as that will seem Arctic compared to yesterday.
11/04/2011 at 13:13

Thanks again everyone .  Hillheader - Brighton was indeed very hot and sunny.  Have come back with a lovely sunburn to prove it...

Judging from the number of people I saw being helped by the brilliant St John's ambulance crews, there could well have been quite a few DNFs.  I really felt for one guy who'd made it past the 26 mile marker and was then zigzagging across the course completely disoriented for a moment until someone helped him to the side - don't know whether he made it the remaining 300m....

Very glad I took onboard some of the advice offered on this forum - slowed to 9 minute miles when I knew I couldn't quite crack 3:30 (round about mile 24) and then soaked up the atmosphere!

11/04/2011 at 15:31
Yesterday's Brighton run:

After a near perfect winter training and some nice half marathon times, yesterday couldn't have gone much worse. From sleeping in the hotel bathroom to escape the stag/hen night noise from the pavement below, to the weather, to having the stitching in my gel belt come lose and losing most of them.

All in all, that was the toughest race I've ever run in. Despite collapsing with exhaustion and being helped by the race directors wife, I hated it and loved it at the same time.

I was miles away from my 3:30 target (3:55).

Despite everything, I'm going back for more next year!
11/04/2011 at 16:40
RS - I symphathise. Lots of good reasons for suffering with your time. Well done for finishing at least. It can only get better. Your training won't have gone to waste. Summer 10ks, half marathons or shortish trail races shouldn't have the same problems with the heat and your times will be an improvement to spur you on. 
11/04/2011 at 16:52
Thanks, Hillheader. I'm in better shape now than I was this time last year when I started running, and with 1 more year of training under my belt, 3:30 will be a breeze!

Bassrun, that's an awesome performance in those conditions. You should be very proud of yourself.
11/04/2011 at 19:15
So should you Richard. I've two marathons to my name, both in similar horribly hot conditions and my PB is down in 4.14! Cracking 4hours is a great achievement in the heat. And just think about your potential (thats how I look at my own marathon times anyway). So many factors come into a performance on the day. The stag/hen party sounds like hell. Well done
11/04/2011 at 21:57

Just catching up.

Well done Bassrun and Andyc.I wouldn't fancy 2 marathons in a week.Paris looked wonderful but hot.

Sounds like you've had a horror run Richard.What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.As HH says it's not wasted training you'll see the benefts throughout the summer.

I feel great this week.I've loads of energy and as can't wait for Sunday.I've had a game of golf this evening and had a real spring in my step.I played well too.Hopefully the weather will be kind to us but even if it isn't finishing is all that really matters.

12/04/2011 at 09:08

Hi everyone, just checking in from Alpe D'Huez where I'm having a pretty awful final week. The sore throat that I was hoping was nothing much has progressed into a full-blown infection and so I've spent the last couple of days feeling rough as, not able to ski (at least I don't feel I'm missing out on much as the snow's rubbish and there's not a lot of it left! - it was over 20 degrees here on Sunday!), and starting to worry quite a bit about Sunday.

Hopefully, I'll be better by then, but it'll be hard to know how much the illness has taken out of me and whether I should adjust my pacing etc. Needed to lie down after climbing the flight of stairs to our room yesterday so the thought of running 26 miles seems impossible at the moment!

I am feeling a bit better today than yesterday though, so hopefully another day of rest will sort me out and I can make a full recovery. Hope everyone else's final week is going better than mine!

12/04/2011 at 09:43

(((((Daren)))))

Take care!!  I have the Physio this morning to try and release my tight hip flexor and podiatrist tomorrow about my recently diagnosed dropped metatarsal heads.  Just a standard last week before a marathon!!   Hope you feel loads better soon - at least you haven't got injured skiing.  If still feeling a bit rubbish by Saturday try for 8.20 - 8.30 pace from the start and see how you feel

12/04/2011 at 12:05

Eek - doesn't sound good Darren. Hope it's not contageous over the forum? Still 5 days to go so finger's crossed.

Discovered that the half marathon I ran on Sunday was 13.3 miles long (300m longer than it should have been)! They screwed up the turning point. Now we're getting a gun time, chip time and "probable half marathon estimate"! Can you imagine that happening at the VLM!

12/04/2011 at 13:32

HH - that's like the one in Cardiff the other year, when they had to alter the course at the last minute because of some roadworks I think, forgot to re-measure and it was a couple of hundred yards short. Seems bizarre that it can happen, but there you go!

Daren - take care. Will you have a chance to run at all before Sunday, just gently of course to see how you're feeling?

O4S - good luck with the physio.

I had to stay over in London last night and so took myself out at 6am this morning for a run - over Tower Bridge and down towards Westminster. Ran past some men putting out the spectator barriers...all getting a bit close now!

12/04/2011 at 13:37

Been well and truly stretched out and worked on.  Hip flexor won't be great on Sunday, but will see me round, though not in any style.  Starting to feel a few butterflies, but looking forward to the weekend - especially Sunday pm

No chance of VLM being a mile or so short??  I might manage my target time in that case..............

12/04/2011 at 14:10

Hi Darren.

Had a very similar virus  in 2009 just before the dublin marathon. Took my medication but never trained for almost 2 weeks before the run. Started to feel okish a couple of days before the big day. Target that year was sub 4 and got round in just over 3.40. Started slowish to ensure got round and gradually stepped up pace as confidence grew.

Best of luck

12/04/2011 at 14:32

For those of us who'll be hanging around the green start and want to do some z-list celeb spotting:

http://static.london-marathon.co.uk/downloads/pdf/celeb2011bio.pdf

Can't say I recognise too many of them....although I have met one...

12/04/2011 at 16:44
Lots of sleep Daren. Plenty of time, try and keep calm. Oh oh oh- why's happened to Katie Price? Has she dropped out?
1,421 to 1,440 of 1,537 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.