Sub 3.30 2011

is it too early to start a thread....

1,461 to 1,480 of 1,537 messages
13/04/2011 at 18:28

I'll guess the doc said you've done no training so you shouldn't run.

I can tell by your pic spoons that you pamper your hair.

13/04/2011 at 21:46

Expo on Friday around 1pm-2pm for me O4S, once we've dumped bags at the hotel then tubed and DLRed our way to Excel.

Name has been successfully ironed onto my vest in the correct order, doesn't look too bad for a DIY job if I do say so myself!

Today's feelings about Sunday are 75% nervous, 25% excited.  The doubts are nagging away in my head but I'm trying to ignore them....  still need to plan a tube journey for getting there on Sunday.

Hope the haircut went well tonight Spoons and they didn't take too much off

13/04/2011 at 21:54

I might bump into you at the Expo Carrot without even realising - but if you see a lost 65 [buts looks younger damn him] year old bloke wandering round as if he has escaped from a home for the terminally bewildered, that will be Mr O4S.  Stray dogs and elderly ladies tend to take pity on him - I doubt any of you would

A cautionary tale copied from the other 3.30 thread as I am too tired to re-type. 

Mr O4S did the ironing tonight, including his name letters on the newly arrived Macmillan shirt.  I have no idea what he did, but it was nearly as bad as my attempt 2 years ago [all the vowels ended up ironed to the backing paper then].  He managed to iron the back and front of the shirt together [no I have no idea!!] and we had to peel them apart, leaving an intersting vertical hole beside the 'H' and no colour on the running shoe on the back of the shirt.  A new ironing board cover has suddenly become a necessity.

14/04/2011 at 09:24
"Medical advice"?

As in: "you're lazy and you haven't done any training you daft cow"?

So with Jordan and Sammy Wanjiru both out I reckon I've got a good chance of winning this race.....
14/04/2011 at 09:36

Hi again everyone,

First of all, congratulations David! Great news!

Thanks for all your support and advice everyone and very encouraging to hear John and Carrot that you've both had viruses before marathons and ended up running well on the day.

I'm still not 100pc but feeling a lot, lot better than a few days ago. Managed to ski most of yesterday - went over to Deux Alpes where they've actually still got lots of snow! - and don't feel any worse for it today. Going to take it easy today though, just going to pop out for an hour or two, then I think that'll be my skiing done for the week. Been trying to sleep as much as possible, lots of fluid, vitamin C tablets, etc, and starting to carb load too so ate as much bread and cereal as humanly possible for breakfast this morning so fingers crossed I'm going to be ok.

Freemers, I'm probably not going to try to run til I get back to England on Saturday, then I'll probably just pop out for a mile or so to check how I'm feeling and that my legs still work!

14/04/2011 at 17:59

Glad to hear you're feeling better Daren!  Enjoy the remainder of your holiday

Might see you there O4S, if not definitely there then the green start, blonde ponytail, Help for Heroes vest and black shorts, no 29862, most likely to be found queuing for the portaloos. 

Final run done tonight! Four measly miles plus 6 x strides. Made the mistake of asking myself "How do I feel?" and the answer was " a bit lethargic and crappy!"  Just the taper taking I'm sure...

Mr Spoons wrote (see)
"Medical advice"? As in: "you're lazy and you haven't done any training you daft cow"? So with Jordan and Sammy Wanjiru both out I reckon I've got a good chance of winning this race.....

14/04/2011 at 18:40

Small, blond, old, black shorts and green Macmillan shirt.  Number 29,850 - wish I thought I could be anywhere near 12 places away from you. 

Spent the afternoon getting new orthotics - assessment, computer designed and made in the workshop while I waited.  They are about one quarter the weight of my existing 'hard' orthotics and feel incredibly comfortable - but have been told under no circumstances to wear them on Sunday.  I know that is the sensible advice, but I'm sure the extra cushioning and less weight could make all the difference.  Mr O4S has now confiscated them so I won't be tempted.

Went out for final three mile run and had to come back after 1 mile as my foot was so sore.  I hadn't repadded the ball of my foot after the orthotic assessment and even running on grass it was unbearable - so an extra box of padding has been added to my bag.

14/04/2011 at 21:18

Did my last run too tonight, a group run of about 6.5 miles, I enjoyed trotting round at the back and walked up all the hills.

Wondering now if a 3:30 is really on the cards, I'm  certailny faster over 5 miles and half mara than this time last year, and my long runs are all in the bank, but overall mileage is a bit down and I've missed a lot of evenng club runs due to work.

14/04/2011 at 21:31

I see a few doubts springing up now.The smile is because i've had the same thoughts.It seems ages ago since my last long run and i'm sure my legs have forgotten what to do.I hate this bit.I've rested all week but still feel tired.I'll be glad when i'm on the train Saturday and then i'll relax and actually look forward to it all.

14/04/2011 at 21:58
Good luck everyone!  Hope there'll be some cracking times on Sunday.  All the training is done, all that's left is to run the god-damned marathon.  Go for it!
14/04/2011 at 21:58

O4S you're miles ahead of me in terms of age grading though  Heavy dose of ibuprofen on Sunday morning?

Good to hear others are feeling the same re: doubts!  I'm also pretty tired this week, I'm usually tired and just put it down to all the miles but when it's Thursday and I've only run 12 miles so far this week I should surely be a bit more energetic?!

I've packed the laptop and dongle so will likely have another post-Expo update tomorrow, but in case my bag disappears off the train on the way to London - GOOD LUCK to everyone and remember: TRUST THE TRAINING!!!   

14/04/2011 at 21:59
X-post with Minni - good luck to you too, I expect to see you sailing past me around Waterloo Bridge area 
14/04/2011 at 22:00

Good Luck everyone!!  I'm getting the train at 10.00am tomorrow and won't have internet access until I get home on Monday pm, when I'll let you know how it goes and if I managed to wreck Daren's shoes!!

I want to hear about lots of sub 3.30's even if I have had to revise my target to sub 3.45.  Weather forecast is geting worse if anything as regards the heat, but I'm just looking forward to the pub on Sunday pm!!

14/04/2011 at 22:01
er Carrot, I don't think so .
15/04/2011 at 08:51

I'll look out for you on green carrot and O4S. I'm 30134, black shorts, reddish top with ANNE in white letters on the front. Gel belt with about a gazillion gels (I always overdo them!). Hair brown and short.

I'm another with doubts creeping in....feeling a bit sick with nerves today. I think it's because this year my training has gone so well and I've set PBs all over the place, so there really is no excuse not to go sub 3.30. But so many things could go wrong!

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!

15/04/2011 at 10:28

Morning all! Popping back to wish everyone GOOD LUCK. Hope everyone enjoys the day and smash their targets.

I hoping that being nervous is a good sign as I am just simmering at the moment - right, back to eating....

15/04/2011 at 13:10

Did my last run last night. 3 miles. Feeling fine. Fortunately very busy teaching this week so no time to think about Sunday. Nervous about missing the 3 trains I need to get to London tonight though. Had mild panic when I realised I had no idea where Expo was - found it now though on the net.  

For all of you on Sunday:

May the rain fall gently from the skies, may the wind be always on your back and may the road rise to meet you.

Apologies to an abused Irish proverb 

15/04/2011 at 13:32

Hi. Just want to wish everyone on this forum the very best of luck for Sunday. I posted my earlier training runs on here, but then started to follow a slightly faster target of 3:15 and jumped between threads. It's my first marathon and I know it'll be tough, so I'll just be happy to finish.

I'm on the red route, pen 3. My number is 40707; I'll be wearing an orange I CAN vest. Come and say hi.

Best of luck to you all. Rob

15/04/2011 at 13:50

Oh, and remember happiness is ... straw coloured urine!

15/04/2011 at 17:15

Arrived in London in one piece, Expo done and an early icecream consumed in anticipation of Sunday!

Go for it Freemers, you know you have it in you it's just a case of putting it all into practice on Sunday (and not going off too fast!)

Good luck to both JR and Rob, pleased to hear you're both gunning for a faster time.

HH you should get here fine what with all the travelling you're used to doing!

Off to see Phantom of the Opera tonight, plus some dinner out.  Maybe a little glass of wine!  Saw so many folks enjoying drinks in Covent Garden this afternoon, I was only a little bit envious....

Might see you ladies at Green on Sunday, I'm in pen 4 (must have said 3:30 rather than 3:29!)

1,461 to 1,480 of 1,537 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.