Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

20,821 to 20,840 of 38,697 messages
07/10/2012 at 07:40

Didn't set the alarm today and consequently have just got up - a bit late to do the "long" run of the week, but at least most of the drunks will have gone home by now. Let's see if my knee and pubalgia are up to doing 10 miles.

Going out in my Team GB kit. I would never do that in Britain (It'd be rather like wearing the maillot jaune for a cyclist), but I think it's fair enough over here.

Good to see Poacher being sensible and getting an early night for his race. Good luck to him and to anybody else racing today. To those with a marathon next week, take it a bit easy today, for Gawd's sake!

Edited: 07/10/2012 at 07:40
07/10/2012 at 08:18

I did set the alarm, and consequenty have just got up - plenty time to do the "long" run of the week, but I may have more fishermen to avoid. 12 miles with 6 @ MP. Should be a doddle. Barely worth leaving the house for. 

I will not be wearing Team GB kit, but then I don't have any. Which is a shame as I could have worn it for the International Friendship Run the day before the marathon, where runners are encouraged to wear their national dress for a 5k jog round Olympiapark. I expect to be jogging with folks in their dirndl, kilts and kimonos. Meanwhile I'll be wearing my VLM 2012 T-shirt as it's the only vaguely patriotic item of clothing I posess. I also have some small Team GB flags that I bought to attach to my 'personal' drinks so that I can spot them more easily at the drinks stations so I could wave one of those. Pathetic! 

07/10/2012 at 09:07

Speedy: I was given a team GB wicking t-shirt for my birthday.  I could post it to you?

07/10/2012 at 10:30

Just checking out the latest MT to see if its worth downloading for my long run and I see someone is ranting about crazy entry fees....!  I haven't read back so this might have already been reported!!

07/10/2012 at 10:46
Good luck Poacher!
07/10/2012 at 10:55

Heh heh Minni, yes, I get a fairly good mention as the Ranter of the Week, railing against the scandal that is the NYC Marathon entry fee - Tom even calls me "Ant" at the end...Really! Such familiarity!

9.5 miles this morning, which is the longest for ages, and no trouble from either of my injuries. Had a bit of a chafing issue, however, which I didn't realise the full extent of 'til I was in the shower - nnnngggghhhhaaayy!

07/10/2012 at 11:00

Speedy - Hope the fisherman weren't too much of a problem. Do they usually "bait" you, then? (Invites more, equally poor, fishing-related puns). I bet you've haddock up to here with them etc etc.

07/10/2012 at 11:08

Thre's no plaice for puns on this threadfin, Ant.

07/10/2012 at 11:34

No, no - cod forbid!

07/10/2012 at 11:52

Better get my skates on before all the puns are gone - hope you have a whale of a time Speedy.

Gul Darr wrote (see)

Hi Lorenzo Do you have a target for Greensand?

Not as such. It's a hilly off road route and my only benchmark is The Picnic which took me about 4 hrs 45. Sub 4 hours should be doable so the more below that the better. 

07/10/2012 at 13:42

*Groans audibly*

The fishermen merely try to turn me into a hurdler by blocking the path with their rods. One nearly speared me through the ribs today as he decided to swing his rod around wildly just as I was passing. 

*waits for the slew of jokes about men swinging their long rods around in my general direction*

It was chuffing freezing out there this morning, which made me worry about next week. Metcheck says 3 degrees for the morning. Ouch. That's a bit brrrrrr. I find it hard to breath properly when it's cold. I did warm up during the MP section, but the sun finally burned through the fog then, so that would have helped. As usual, it didn't feel great. MP felt a bit too fast, the slow bits felt like a slog... A normal taper run then!

Jools - that would be fab! Of course I'll wash it and post it back afterwards. I'll pm you on facebook. 

Edited: 07/10/2012 at 13:48
07/10/2012 at 17:17

Speedy - you'd think it was too cold for swinging rods around this morning!  I can't believe you're marathon is almost here already.  Although its been a shite summer it seems to have flown past.

I've got the Town Moor marathon 3 weeks today and did my final long run today, 21.6m in 2:55.  I've only managed three 20s so we'll see what happens on the day.  GER next week that I think one or two are going to?  KR, Rase Jase, others?

07/10/2012 at 17:22
17 mile long run (7.30 av) this morning. Final decent distance before the actual day. Legs felt a bit heavy as I did a moderately quick 10k (40 mins) last night in lieu of PD prescribed tune up race. Met a runner at some traffic lights who turned out to be a decent club runner and I shared the last 5 miles with him before he went on his merry way. Really good as he was a sub 3 marathon man (2.52) and good chance to get some first hand advice. First time I've picked up a total stranger and ran with them for 30 mins plus! Really helped me out today.
07/10/2012 at 17:26

Dylan - that happened to me last Saturday, fell in with a random bloke and shared 3 miles @ 6:45mm...while still trying to keep up a conversation. Good for the soul, that.

07/10/2012 at 17:34

Good for the sole, I should think, Ant.  Sorry I wasn't in the right plaice to join in the puns, but I was rehearsing.

Off for my 'long' run in a bit; after being in work for 12 hours from 10.30am to 10.30pm, I couldn't quite face getting up at 6am to go for a run before my 10am rehearsal today...

07/10/2012 at 17:37
Ant van Oviedo wrote (see)

Dylan - that happened to me last Saturday, fell in with a random bloke and shared 3 miles @ 6:45mm...while still trying to keep up a conversation. Good for the soul, that.

Ant van Oviedo wrote (see)

His name wasn't John Dory by any chance....?  Boom.

07/10/2012 at 18:00

Jools - Can't believe I missed that one!

07/10/2012 at 19:51
You are all talking pollocks, as it were..

Race report: a strange day at the Congleton HM which thankfully improved over time. Turned in at 0315, 4 hrs after Gul got up. Alarm went off at 0645, swore profusely at it then struggled up feeling ropey. On arrival at Congleton I thought I was going to throw up with general tiredness and feelings of bleurgh-ness but fortunately at race HQ there was a canteen serving tea and cake so I took on a pile of ballast/caffeine/blood sugar and felt better.

The options were: (1) crash/burn/chunder (2) get round in one piece in 1.27-1.32 (3) run ok for 1.25-1.26 (4) tough it out, ride the luck and beat the odds. 1.25 felt the most likely.

Not a flat or obviously fast course, a bit breezy, but nice cool weather and crucially there were enough people of similar speed to keep the pace honest. Long slow irritating hills at 10m & 12m but I was on top of things by now. The Garmin has died so pacing was by mile markers, FIDO came out for the finish and a very surprising 1.21.38 - PB by 20 sec, 18th overall & 2nd Old Git 50. Woohoo! They all count. Abingdon 2 weeks today...hmmm.
07/10/2012 at 20:40

Poacher was today's flying fish, it would appear!  Congratulations - perhaps taking the pressure off was the key to success.  Cotton wool until Abo.

07/10/2012 at 20:43
Poacher- amazing performance, well done! How did you do that on 3.5 hours sleep. Incidentally, why stay up so late the night before a race? Whats the target for Abo?
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.