Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

20,861 to 20,880 of 37,712 messages
JD3
08/10/2012 at 08:22

I’ve ‘haddock’ up to here with the fish puns!

Bike It – I think deep down I knew that an ultra was a different ball game, but I’m still tempted, it might be fun?- just in a get to the finish way, not a race it way. It could be an 80k LSR

Birch/SJ/KR – It seems sensible to leave it a little longer after a marathon before racing a half- I ought to see how I feel I guess, there’s slim pickings of halfs to do over the winter though

CC2 – I hope that the tapering is going well,

Joolska – hope the clams/donkeys work well

Lunchtime – hello! I’m quite new round here too, but have found this book helpful http://www.amazon.co.uk/Advanced-Marathoning-Peter-Pfitzinger/dp/0736074600

Bike It – I hope that the trip away put you back on good terms with running. I had a terrible few days a few weeks back, but a day off and a change of scnce helped then. One bad run doesn’t negate all the training youve done.

SJ  - I hope your foot/cold are clearing up.

OO- hope you had a good weekend in the lakes

Lorenzo – good hilly 15

PMJ – It sounds like things are going OK if you accidentally run 25% further than planned.

Gul – good Parkrunning

Minni – that seems like a very good long run

DM – running with someone makes a difference doesn’t it- I had to fight the urge to race someone today- they were going a touch faster than me, but it was a long road so I could see them the whole time slowly inching away from me. It wasn’t worth charging after a stranger and upsetting the run. We’ve got an easyish looking week this week haven’t we. I’m not too excited by the 3x1M @ 5k pace though.

Poacher – congratulations. A great race and a confidence booster for Abingdon.

Moof – nice trophy and a good 13miler, good luck for next week.

Efc col – well done, that’s a great run. A negatively split sub3 hr marathon- that's the stuff 'breams' are made of. (That's my last fish joke I promise)

JD3
JD3
08/10/2012 at 08:32

Seems like there's been a very high standard accross the board this weekend. It took me a while to catch up.

Had a pleasing couple of runs myself- P+D suggested a warm up race on Sat, which I would normally translate as being Parkrun, but that wasn't possible this week, and I couldn't face a solo time trial, instead I did 3M warm up, then the next 6 miles were MP,HMP,10k pace ,10k pace ,HMP, MP, then a 2M cool down. Very pleased because all came out a couple of seconds quick. And I almost accidentally ran a 10k PB by mistake in training. 

Then 17 yesterday, the first half was about MP+15%, then the 2nd half about MP+5%.

In order try and get used to race day conditions (to try and control pre race nerves) I've done a couple of park runs, is 8 days before a marathon too soon to race a park run flat out, or should I just run it but not full speed?

JD3
08/10/2012 at 08:44
JD3 wrote (see)

is 8 days before a marathon too soon to race a park run flat out, or should I just run it but not full speed?

8 days is plenty enough time after a 3 mile race to recover. I did a parkrun Saturday before VLM and it was pretty much full of VLM runners and I scraped 2 seconds off my previous PB. Just be sure you do not overdo it in that last week, so don't go out for a 20 mile on Sunday. (I actually did a nice 12 which was basically up one valley, flip to another and back down so the last 4 or 5 miles were all downhill and running them at MP was easy so good confidence boost.

08/10/2012 at 09:59

JD3 - my comment re the half 2 weeks after a raced marathon was based on experience - I'm usually still coming downstairs backwards 5 days after a mara, and apart from the physical aspect, I wouldn't have the "head" for a half PB effort so soon after. My PB, though, was set 2 weeks after a marathon - but I dropped out at 20 miles after a stupid pace misjudgement - similar to Poacher's (previous)! PB coming fairly soon after a hardish 20, and demonstrating how the last few miles of the mara really give your legs a good seeing to! 
Also, experience leads me to agree with PMJ re your parkrun question - a 5K effort 8 days before is fine, imo.    Good luck, anyway.

Here, a 5 mile "run" on Sat brought my annual total to a meagre 599, the majority being completed by mid-Feb !  Never mind, looking at pics of my knee with consultant tomorrow.

08/10/2012 at 10:38
Foot still buggered and cold in full flight, now developing a nasty cough too! Booo

On the plus side, managed to get a cancellation appt with Fizz tomorrow night! Yay
08/10/2012 at 10:44

Gul - Thanks for those kind words, but first I'll have to shed a few pounds!

JD3 - Hello, I like the sound of that session you did on Saturday there, good going. It's hard to motivate yourself to do that sort of thing on your own, so well done.

Col - Absolutely brilliant! Enjoy all the accolades that come your way as you've thoroughly deserved them. And was was that, a 3-min negative split?

Poacher - I am in awe. No - I mean it. Are you winding us up or did you really feel carp (heh) before the race? Anyway, many congrats, and fitting that this weekend you should PB at the Conger Eel-ton HM.

08/10/2012 at 10:45

Slokey - Steady as she goes, good luck with the fizz.

08/10/2012 at 13:07

EFC-COl - That is a brilliant performance! - you must have had the Turbot on for the second Half

Poacher - A great time from a Dab Hand

Moof - great results - Nice to be perched at the top of the tree

Birch - Hope the photies offer an explanation and solution

JD3 - I Pb'd what was a soft Half time 3 weeks after vlm. Maybe you can book it and see how you feel when you have completed your A Race?

Slokey - hope the Fizz can do some good.

Ant - Isnt Coger Eel ton near Stoke on Trench?

08/10/2012 at 14:42

Mennania - Yes, not far from Mackerelsfield.

08/10/2012 at 14:48

Poacher Great PB, looking good for sub 3

Col Perfectly paced and controlled sub 3. Is it a PB?

JD I smashed my HM PB 3 weeks after running my mara PB. It is possible to cash in on post marathon fitness.

Didn't run yester day (only 11 miler planned) I decided to spend an hour in the park with the family and dog instead. Total of 19 for the week.

08/10/2012 at 15:14
Col that is a great run by you, outshines my lightweight effort by miles. You must have been so chuffed and to do it with a neg split is even better. The perfect race really. Sub 2.55 next time?

Lovely pic Moof

As for the lack of sleep, within limits it doesn't make a lot of difference IMO. I have averaged about 5 hrs a night for many years and work really odd hours so don't have a "normal" body clock. My only regret about yesterday was that I had no idea I was in that kind of shape and probably could have gone a bit faster.

Anyway two questions (1) probably ought to have a 2 week taper - if anyone has
P&D or another sensible training plan to hand, can I ask what the recommendation for this week would be? It's thirteen days to race day.
(2) do I really want the stress and pain of a sub 3 attempt at Abo? Or just an enjoyable day out
08/10/2012 at 15:53

Ant - Nice plaice but what about Bassingstoke in East Angler? All this fishy fun is taking its toll, I am beginning to Flounder.

Poacher - Come on now - 1,21 HM two weeks before ABO is a precursor to a full on assault as sub 3.00 for you. And to answer your question directly, yes you really do want the pain!

08/10/2012 at 16:02

Col -  excellent racing particularly considering your relaxed build-up.  Congratulations on a great result

Poacher - brilliant PB - you seems to be running fast at the moment.  Congratulations.   Don't think I can answer Q2 for you, but here is the answer to Q1:

Here the last 2 weeks of P&D (12week schedule upto 55m per week)

M REST or X
Tu General Aerobic + Speed 7mi with 8x100m strides
W VO2max 8mi w/3x1600m at 5K pace with 50-90% duration jog between
Th REST or X
Fr Recovery + speed 5mi with 6x100m strides
Sa REST or X
Su MLR 12mi

M REST
Tu Recovery 6mi
W Dress Rehersal 7mi with 2mi at MP
Th REST
Fr Recovery + speed 5mi with 6x100m strides
Sa Recovery 4mi
Su 'AVIT

08/10/2012 at 16:59

AVIT must be in the new edition - it doesn't look familiar

08/10/2012 at 17:59
Thanks. Can I turn the dress rehearsal on the 2nd Weds into a fancy dress rehearsal? The honest truth is that I am probably a couple of LRs short of optimum. We shall we
08/10/2012 at 18:09
Poacher- I read somewhere that your longest 5 runs of the campaign should total around 100 miles?
08/10/2012 at 20:06

Hi guys,

Lost all of my historic training logs due to a puppy/glass of wine/computer incident. C drive is now unreadable despite the best efforts of outr IT guys. So have started looking at where to stick my downloads. Any suggestions?Garmin, Fetch (not a member)? Other?

Thanks

08/10/2012 at 20:27
Mennania - I feel your pain over the loss of your data. I log mine on fetch, but that's all I do on there. The site seems far to complicated to do anything else! I also save it to a spreadsheet that is stored in Dropbox and this is stored somewhere beyond this world. You can access this from anywhere. Then I save it on garmin, which is stored of computer (but I back this up).
08/10/2012 at 21:34

Mennania - I use Running Ahead. (www.runningahead.com) Easy to use, simple, and relevant. I tried Garmin, Fetch and something else but went back to RA. Try it, and you won't look any further.

08/10/2012 at 21:35
Minnie- isn't garmin data stored in cyber space? You can access it from any internet enabled computer. It's funny as you don't actually own the data!
Edited: 08/10/2012 at 21:36
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.