Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

20,901 to 20,920 of 38,236 messages
09/10/2012 at 22:37

They're culling the wild boar in the Forest of Dean because there are too many.  They are cute, but apparently vicious barstewards up close and personal.

Slokey: fingers crossed for a miracle recovery, but if not then there will be other marathons.

10/10/2012 at 00:09

AR - Tricky situation as it's always tempting to go the full distance. As a full marathon entrant, I believe you can still run the half marathon instead of the full at Leicester as I think that's what some others have done previously. Maybe just do the half as a training run? See how you feel on Friday.

MsE
10/10/2012 at 04:46

Howdy y'all!   Just had a very lengthy read back to see a lot of fishy behaviour going on and a couple of stonking performances from efc-col and poacher.  Smoking times, boys!  So am I right in thinking the best way to prepare is, um, not really terribly well and wing it on the day?

I am sorry to read that SJ  remains benched but at least we can sit here together?  And I hope that AR  gets well soon. You sound like you have had a bad run indeed!

I am 3 weeks into my time off and suffering from the same withdrawal symptoms I imagine alcoholics might experience when they seen a drink. Or something like that.  It was a beautiful weekend in San Francisco and the sun enticed all the runners out which, bizarrely, made me want to wrestle each one, who seemingly jogged past me in slow motion taunting me, to the ground and pummel them with my fists shouting, "it's not fair! It's not fair!"
Luckily, I didn't.  Instead I cycled a bit more, lugging my toddler on the back of my heavy bike, and this week upped my daily classes of full yoga/pilates body conditioning and bar work by going twice today...  What CV fitness I will have lost shall be more than compensated for in terms of flexibility and a more balanced and stronger body which is probably a good thing.  I shall have a pelvic floor of steel.

Recovery is also happening slowly I think and the lump on my achilles seems smaller. I have been getting acupuncture and am seeing a sports doctor/podiatrist this week to double check on the state of things and whether orthotics might help prevent a recurrence of this when (note confident use of the word "when" there) I am back up and running.  Whoever said running is just putting one foot in front of the other has no idea what running involves (... erm, my husband then).

10/10/2012 at 06:33

AR - sorry to hear you've had a bit of a nightmare over the last week or so. Take care and get well soon.
Ant - Thanks for that. It's a bit grim pounding the streets during the autumn and winter around here and I miss getting out into the countryside.
Moof - recover quickly.
MsE - good to hear from you and glad to see things are progressing; hang on in there!
I did a 3 mile recovery run this morning.

10/10/2012 at 06:50
Slokey - really sorry to hear your woes. Definitely not what you want right now. And you too AR.

MsE - good to hear from you but not good to hear your state of mind (funny though ). 10 weeks must feel like a lifetime but if it does the trick them its worth it. I think it feels like a bereavement when you're off through injury and you're right, no one understands. At least you're getting lots of classes in and the biking. Can you still dog walk? Come Boston it'll all be forgotten.

Hope Speedy is surviving the tapir?
10/10/2012 at 07:23

Great to hear to are back running MsE, just take it steady we've all been there.

Ant, I once met an enormous stag planted on the pathway of a forest in Paris few years ago- I'm not sure who was more scared but he eventually bolted after an eyeballing moment. 

Shocker at the GP last, my worst time for a year averaging 6 min. miles for 3.6. Can only blame a heavy w/end. Things not going to plan lately  

10/10/2012 at 08:34

Lots of poorly people on here. Fingers crossed for AR, SJ and Moof.

MSE - I know exactly what you mean, I cant stop myself from muttering 'stop showing off' everytime a runner passes me.

Thanks for the pointers re the software all, am trying them out to see which one I fancy. Plugged watch in and pleasaed to see that I have my history back to VLM (must have cleared it before) - a massive total of 37 runs and 206 miles since May and 26 miles since June.

Off to fizz this AM, hopefully my shoulder is fixed enough for some 'light running' which will hopefully confirm that time has done its job for my leg.

10/10/2012 at 08:48

Please don't feel sorry for me - any problems I have were kind of predicted, and I had a fantastic holiday. Slokey is in a worse position, so send your luck and wishes that way (although I am grateful for the comments)

Cough seems to be linited to nighttime. Once I get a bit more strength, and a bit more stretching, a bit of physio, and my wife stops calling me Mr Burns, Also-ran will Also-run .

The porrage is coming thick and fast now - weight back into double figures!

Edited: 10/10/2012 at 08:52
10/10/2012 at 08:55
Get some vitC down your neck Moof! Yes I was following an adapted 55-70 schedule - I left the sessions in but took the recovery runs out and replaced them with a bit of swimming and cycling. Seemed to do the trick actually but I think a tight right hip which I left unchecked has altered my gait enough to put a bit of extra torsion onto my left foot as it hits the ground. Other than that I've been feeling fairly bulletproof - my usual nemesis of shin splints hasn't been a problem at all this time around.

Try to stay sane MsE!

Good luck Menna!!

Thanks for the good wishes by the way. I'm not giving up hope yet. I bought a night splint off t'internet which arrived yesterday (essentially a boot which keeps your foot flexed at 90degrees (ish)). Could really feel the strain on it in the night as my foot/calf tightened as I slept - cut the circulation off a bit it got that tight. Hopefully that will make a difference (assuming my foot doesn't drop off)
JD3
10/10/2012 at 12:49

just wanted to wish a speedy recovery to those ill/injured and ask two quick questions:

On marathon day what is the appropriate race attire if it's freezing cold and dry?

Same question but in a freexing cold and raining scinareo?

I feel I take a lot more out of this forum than I contribute, so thank you all for the advice/encouragement.

JD3
10/10/2012 at 13:10
If its chilly I'd wear an old t-shirt or bin liner over my vest and chuck it at the start or after the first couple of miles.

If its going to stay really cold (less than 8-10deg) Id wear a tshirt under my vest too

If its raining, as above but definitely have the bin bag with head and arm holes for the start and a carrier bag on my head. If its chucking down you may as well get wet once you've started running and suck it up rather than having a cumbersome and generally hot jacket on.
personally I run a lot better when it's cold and rainy (although the chafage count goes up exponentially!)
Poacher has an interesting hat which might keep your head warm....
10/10/2012 at 13:11

JD3 - depending ono how attached you are to them, but old race t-shirts are good to wear over the top and disguard before the start. Some races actually collect them up after the start and give them to charity.. Also a bin liner (with holes cut in it for head/arms) is alos good for keeping warm/rain.

MsE - good to hear the recovery is working albeit slowly. The good thing about seeing other runners is an incentive to get back running however tough it is to see them running.

Hope all the injury woes subside for everyone.

10/10/2012 at 13:29

JD3 -  I run in a t shirt compression vest and put a running shirt over if It gets cold. In fact I run in that unless it is Hot. The compression top also helps with the chaffing issue currently under thread discussion.

Got the green light from the Fizz - Nothing to long or too strenious. So I am going to smash 2 miles in 20 mins later! I have had a couple of these false dawns recently so will have to be sensible about it still.

10/10/2012 at 13:46
And if its really windy and pi$$ing it down just cut eye holes the bin liner.

I train wearing a compression top when its raining or cold but prefer to race in just a vest (and shorts) can't stand getting too hot and I'll worry about the chaffing and screaming when I get in the shower later.
10/10/2012 at 14:07

It's sad to see the injured and sick list growing. I know it is very frustrating but the body is equipt with wonderful self-repairing capabilty which needs a bit of time to work.

Last session of P&D done and dusted this lunchtime of 8miles with 3x1mile.  Nearly ended my campaign a bit more abruptly when I tripped over the curb in one of the intervals.  I blame it on the guy who was doing aerobatics in his plane causing a distraction.

Just easy/recovery running and a few sets of strides and a bit of MP to run before next Sunday.  My whole thighs remain very sore however from all this fast running and hoping it will clear in the next 10 days - might even get a sports massage.

10/10/2012 at 17:14

MsE - "I am 3 weeks into my time off and suffering from the same withdrawal symptoms I imagine alcoholics might experience when they seen a drink" --  try 8 months and counting . . . . .   - and yes, they're everywhere - taunting and mocking as they run round the park and jog by my window, breezing by as I walk to the shops . . . .anyway, saw consultant y'day & scan reveals, as I suspected, a medial ligament tear, with some "bone bruising" thrown in.  Decided on arthroscopy, as opposed to leaving things to see if it recovers with time (which could be more months). Chap reckoned I can be back on the road within 4 weeks of op, which tallies with my prev experience (other knee) of this.
JD3 - agree with others re pre race attire, but for racing it's singlet and shorts, maybe a throwaway pair of cotton gloves if very cold.. All part of the racing racing mindset. 

10/10/2012 at 17:42

Birch - Thats good bad news (if you catch my drift). Did He give you a date for the op? Hope its soon for you.

Bike it - Hope the leg recovers nicely!

10/10/2012 at 19:08

Glad to see that shoaming is becomiong more common use: you can get mugs now:

http://rlv.zcache.com/custom_urban_dictionary_mug-p168422380300109771enw9p_400.jpg?t_urbanimage_iid=0f583401-0bc1-4ec2-9b41-f7062fa99492

10/10/2012 at 20:00
???
10/10/2012 at 20:02
Great news Birch. Half the mental battle is knowing that you are taking positive action. Fingers are crossed
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.