Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

20,941 to 20,960 of 38,651 messages
11/10/2012 at 18:10
Fraser - its good to run relaxed, if one has a decent rhythm it's fairly easy to keep an accurate pace without a watch.The danger lies in the sprint finish, it would be a shame to miss a target by a few sec due to not having the right data over the last couple of miles.
Speedy - you will do it I'm sure, you have a good racing head and a fast one is there for the taking if you keep your nerve
Commiserations to the injured ones. Birch - actually it does sound quite promising, you could be back running in the foreseeable
MsE - for the benefit of new posters on here, perhaps you should post another pic of the Wrong Trousers.....has to be seen to be believed. Whatever your problems, sort them out now as Boston is a tricksy course and deferral is generally not allowed so you need to be fit for 2013
AR - yuk. If its any comfort I ran VLM a few years ago having just returned from Bhutan where the national dish is red hot chillies floating in liquid cheese. Came very, very close to an embarrassing accident on Tower Bridge...but "held on" to finish. Just.

8m on the beach this afo, no big mammals to report but ticked off oystercatcher, godwit, eider, sanderling & ringed plover.
Edited: 11/10/2012 at 18:11
11/10/2012 at 18:27

MsE - great to hear the "Wrong Trousers" are still on the go - your mention of them made me laugh;  slightly disappointing you had to change into fresh gear, though . . .
Speedy - best wishes for Munich - I'll not say "luck" because we know luck isn't involved (notwithstanding freak 90F temp!)  - you've done all that's necessary and proved you can execute your plan brilliantly - so as Poacher says - keep your nerve!

11/10/2012 at 19:23
Best wishes to all the injured, poorly and recovering amongst us. Too many to mention.

Can't wait to see the wrong trousers? Although I hope they are not similar to the sh.t happens photo doing the rounds!

Good luck to speedy for the Deuchtland smack down. They don't like it up em you know.

Last real session tonight. 8 miles with 3x 1mile with 50% jog recover . 5.42 5.42 5.41. Hard work tonight but I guess it's supposed to be. What is the benefit if this 10 days out?

Can't sleep as well at the moment because I am not shattered all the time like I was a week or two ago. Tapering is yuck. Feel like I'm losing the edge.
11/10/2012 at 20:21
DM- looks like the taper is going to plan if you're not feeling totally cream crackerd and that's a tasty 3 * 1 mile interval sets.

5 miles for me today after a couple of enforced days off because of the lurgy, tried a mile at HMP but legs didn't want to know so gave it up after half a mile. Threw in half a dozen sets of strides just so my legs remembered what a bit of speed feels like. Sweating and breathing a lot more than I should be.
11/10/2012 at 20:31
But its only a cold so should stop feeling sorry for myself.

Glad to hear you're on the road to recovery, Birch.

You too MsE, let's hope you're not out of action for too long or I fear for the odd yank jogger.
11/10/2012 at 20:47

Dylan Man - There is a running/fitness app called sports tracks with a plug in called training load which is good if for nothing else showing you the benefit of your training runs and  taper. Some clever bugger has put an algorithm together to show a Training stress balance line on it which you want to be negative (ie body under stress)  right upto race day where it needs to go positive which (allegedly) means your body has the right combination of fitness and recovery. Might be a total placebo but helps simple peeps like me make sense out of the taper. I would send you my graph as a demonstration but a little cocker put paid to that.

Moof - Hope it passes soon.

11/10/2012 at 21:04
Thanks Mennania, I'll check it out!
Edited: 11/10/2012 at 21:04
11/10/2012 at 21:06
Oh and sorry Moof, hope you make a quick recovery. I think the colds going around appear fairly minor ones! So fingers crossed.
11/10/2012 at 21:30

Dylan - That is a very pacy set of mile reps - the main benefit of them 10 days out is the confidence boost, I would say. You're looking in great shape.

Speedy - Gute Reise, and all the best for the race. You know the rules by now...AVIT!

Gul - Nice fauna spot.

Best wishes to all those benched and/or lurgied.

I'm starting to feel like a runner again.  Another 7 miles today, out and back - out 26:01, back 23:59. No sign of injury... Wildlife Watch: cows, goats, horses, sheep, chickens.

Public Holiday tomorrow so off to Zamora province to run between vineyards and cornfields. Oh, and to drink wine and eat meat.

Edited: 11/10/2012 at 21:32
11/10/2012 at 21:42

10M for me tonight including 4 x 1M at planned 10M pace so about 6.30m/m (in the p!ss!ng rain) and then sports massage.  Hamstring tendon is still a little tight but much better than last week, so going in the right direction.

11/10/2012 at 21:45
Menna, is that on the app store? Couldn't find it.
11/10/2012 at 21:53

Birch.. hope the op goes well, I need all the old codger company I can muster!  Fingers crossed for you.

12/10/2012 at 08:40

SJ - Sports Track Training Load This should take you straight to the plug in. You will need to download Sports track first but it is free in a limited version and is more than good enough for me.

Cheers

12/10/2012 at 08:50

EFC-Col - If it's only once every 4 years then I wouldn't worry too much about the wine and champagne consumption! Please report any stag sightings in Amsterdam...
Mennania - good news; keep it easy now.
AR - look after yourself.
SD - hope you find your mojo soon. There is one particular spot on my run up to Sandringham that is good for heron spotting, but not likely to be going that way now until the spring.
Poacher - nice twitching.
DM - looking very good; don't think you're losing your edge but sounding sharp and should be all fired up by race day.
Moof - after effects of the lurgy will soon be gone.
Ant - sounds like a perfect holiday; running, eating and drinking... Enjoy yourself.
Jools - good news on the hamstring.
I went for a haircut this morning after my 3 mile recovery run, hence the "late" post. Have a good weekend everyone and all the best to anyone racing. Weather forecast says a spot of rain in Munich today and a nice cool weeeknd (14/15C) with just a chance of a light shower on Sunday morning. Sounds ideal for Speedy.

Edited: 12/10/2012 at 08:51
12/10/2012 at 10:42

Menna thanks for that plugin. I will have to study it to figure out what it means.

I use SportTracks to log all my training runs.

12/10/2012 at 11:55

I log all my runs in a spreadsheet (goes back 5 years now). I mail it to myself occasionally (workhome) so I have oodles of back up copies in inboxes. Simple but effective.

As for my training plans, I've been trying to absorb all the advice here and from my newly purchased P&D. It has now dawned on me that not only do I need to lengthen the long run (10m+ to 15m+), but that I need to lengthen at least one of my mid-week runs (5m to 10m-ish) - I'll just have to "make the time" as they say. This to get me from 30mpw to 40mpw off 5 runs before I start on a specific marathon lead-up plan. That's the idea anyway. I have a couple of months to do that.

12/10/2012 at 12:24

Thanks, Wardi - I notice you have returned from your travails in fine style, so I take inspiration!  

12/10/2012 at 15:08

Our runners don't need luck as they are prepared but hoping for good running conditions for Speedy at Munich.

Quick mention to off forum runners:

MatrinH at Leicester
Race Jase at Great Eastern Run hoping for a 69.xx half!

14.5 at lunchtime in 1:50 so the lunchtime runs are starting to look a bit better.

Edited: 12/10/2012 at 15:08
12/10/2012 at 15:52

Here's to a happy Sunday afternoon of pb race reports

12/10/2012 at 19:08

Good luck Speedy!

GD, KR - see you in Peterborough, maybe! Have a good one!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.