Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

21,001 to 21,020 of 37,709 messages
14/10/2012 at 20:16

Thanks for the comments. I know I'm being tough on myself. My 1st was 3:02 on a bugger of a course, and this was as flat as you like - I'd built my confidence up over the past few weeks and really felt I was in good condition till lurgy/injury  came.  I will take some pride from it after a sleep. Still missing a few kg's of body weight, so will over endulge tonight and start thinking about my first VLM.

Edited: 14/10/2012 at 20:18
14/10/2012 at 21:18

AR: it's pretty hard to avoid the totally gutted feeling when you miss your target, even if the reasons for the result are both obvious and rational.  As you say, sleep on it and take the positives.

Speedy has posted on FB and is ok for result to be shared.  She's pretty gutted after just dipping inside 3.09.  Split on course for 3.05 but looks like the second half was a bit of a grind.  It's pretty darn close to a pb but obviously not what she wanted.

14/10/2012 at 21:40
AR- shame you didn't get the time you were after but let's face it after the few weeks you've had, strength in your legs running at full tilt was always going to be a tough grind for 26 miles. Still a great effort though, shows good mental stubborn grit.
14/10/2012 at 21:42
AR's and Speedy's days show yet again what a cruel thing the mara is...you can give it the lot then it turns round and kicks you in the kidneys. Totally different kettle of fish from shorter races, let's face it anything up to 20m is lightweight middle distance. Got to take the positives and come back for more.
15/10/2012 at 06:25

SJ - sorry to hear that you've had to pull out of Abo; hope things are back on track very soon.
AR - very brave attempt. Amazing that you did it at all after the last couple of weeks and a great finishihng time everything considered. Sub3 for sure next time. Take care of yourself now.
OOlg - never mind, at least you gave it a shot; did the bet specify which parkrun?
Moof - that's some going, especially full of cold. Well done on a cracking time.
RJ - just awesome!!! Congratulations on another huge achievement.
Gutted for Speedy.
Anyone heard from KR yet?
6 mile plod for me this morning.

15/10/2012 at 08:34
NIce one Moof. That's a super half when not 100%

RJ, yeah not bad....

AR, ouch! Was always going to be tough for you bearing on mind what you've been through over the past couple of weeks but you had the guys to give it a go and you weren't too far off. As has been said above, there really is no hiding place at the Mara distance, a bit of a niggle, a bit of under or overtraining, a bit of illness can all be magnified by a factor of 26.2 to turn a race into a real trainwreck so I think you actually did brilliantly to hold it together for a 3:04. Which is probably a good indicator of actually how fit and quick you are. Sure you'll smash 3 when you are healthy. No holidays before your next race!!

Speedy, great result but sounds like a tough day out - hope you are recovering well.

Foot is still sore this morning
15/10/2012 at 09:15

AR - sorry I don't give you any good wishes as on Friday I assumed you wouldn't be running and haven't read the thread this weekend.  You surprised me by running it.  Very good performance considering.  As other have said, I sure sub3 will be no problem for you on another occasion.

Moof - good result there.  I very much like that course and its got a good feel that race.  The hill at 8miles is a classic.

RJ - astonishing.  I can't even run 1 mile at that pace.  Well done fella.

SJ - go easy there and sorry to hear you're probably out of Abo.  I will also be at Manchester.

My wife had her first day back at work on Saturday so I looked after both kids.  It went well so I celebrated by getting a hangover.  11miles yesterday and hips and thighs still sore but getting better. 

15/10/2012 at 11:26

I was once offered a re-location package when the insurance firm I was working for moved to Peterborough. I decided to go to Uni at Hull instead.

Moof - A great result when not feeling your best, and on a tricky course, too. Good stuff.

Jase - We love you, too. A stratospheric effort from you - even when a bit porky!

AR - I'd say that's a result to be proud of given the circumstances. Just getting round took enormous cojones.

Meanwhile, I did some great off-road running over the w/e, 9 miles on Sat and 10 on Sun. I was particularly pleased with Saturday's progressive effort, over testing terrain and having been chased by sheepdogs and then a bull! I finished with 3M at a decent clip, HMP, probably. I think I'm starting to get myself into the sort of shape where I can actually contemplate starting marathon training in mid-December.

15/10/2012 at 12:36

Ant - also went to Uni at Hull. Good Times.

15/10/2012 at 13:19

Had a good (ish) run in Peterborough and got round in 1.25.40 which was my 2nd fastest half and just 14 seconds off my PB. Can't help feel a bit disappointed though to get so close to a 3 year old PB. I've had a cold for the past 4/5 days and have been dosing up on Sudafed. It did help out but still didn't feel 100%.

I was however please with my pacing and managed to knock out pretty consistent 6.30 miles with the fastet being 6.25 and the slowest 6.38. I think this was helped with the flatness of the course. The race is really great and with 4000+ runners, totally closed roads, a very flat profile it has all the right ingredients. The other good thing was that there were lots of other runners of the same ability, so no big patches of running solo, which I think also helped with the pacing side of things.

I've had a blinding year running this year with 4 x sub 90 minutes halves (1.26.11, 1.26.10, 1.27.43 & 1.25.40) and want to put all the good training to good use - you never know what next year has instore! I'm tempted to have another go at another half this Autumn having got the training behind me - just got to find another flatish course to have a bash at - any ideas?

15/10/2012 at 13:24

Great marathon time there AR, don't be disappointed with that given the past couple of weeks.

Speedy - 3.09.xx is still a brilliant time. It's always tough to hit a PB when all the training has gone to plan and the marathon can be an unpredictable monkey. Llike Poacher says, you've got to look at the positives.

15/10/2012 at 13:50
Moof- solid half on a hilly course and flu hanging around! Great effort.

RJ- what can I add to above! Awesome half and this must have put you on the podium if not first? The stuff that's dreams are made of for us mortals

AR- hats off and total respect for achieving that time under the circumstances. Most would have pulled out or thrown the towel in. You are made of stern stuff! I would bite your hand off twice for a time like that next week. A substantial sub 3 is a matter of when not if.

KR- another impressive solid half and some nice consistency in that series of halfs. Too late for Cardiff?

My preparations have continued fairly smoothly and last week of taper. I perhaps pushed a little too hard in yesterday's 13 but was keen to maintain a bit of intensity. I did however scare myself a wee bit last night by locating a garmin connect profile of my marathon course next week. (Dartmoor vale). I was fully aware that there is a biggish hill at mile 6 ( and 18, 2 lap course), but was horrified to see it on the elevation graph. Ran it through the garmin player and its 0.7 miles long and rises 250 feet or so. I've incorporated a similar hill into most of my long and medium runs but it's worrying me now and I'm wondering whether I should have been building this one twice into the 20 mile plus runs. Too late now. I revamped my plan last night and have a strategy for a sub 3.10 target now with a contingency of sub 3.15. A few weeks ago I thought I would getter closer to 3. All my training has been done on sub 3 pace. The hills are giving me self doubt and the tough days people have endured above on the back of more experience and training than myself.
Edited: 15/10/2012 at 14:02
15/10/2012 at 14:01

KR - good going at Peterborough. I can sense your frustration at coming so near and yet so far. PB next time!

15/10/2012 at 14:14

DM - not be too over anxious about that hill; after all, as you say, you have been including a hill in your MLRs and LSRs. Just keep an even effort, stick to your target pace and see what comes out on the day. You might be surprised!

15/10/2012 at 14:35
GD- thanks I needed soothing and reassuring!
15/10/2012 at 15:20
C'mon DM, it's only a little hill! Just get your arse up it without burning too much fuel and enjoy the downhill - it will probably be a relief to get to use your legs a bit differently by then. Just don't sprint up it and don't try to make up any lost time too quickly, plenty of time to claw a bit back here and there.
15/10/2012 at 15:22
Well done KR! You are becoming Mr HM consistency. You should have plenty of speed in your legs come April...,
15/10/2012 at 16:19
If hills are so much fun why do so many plump for Abo? )

Checked out garmin connect profile and it must be flattest around?

If anyone has time check out Eden project in Cornwall. Rises to 1000 feet and total 2300 feet gain on whole run.
15/10/2012 at 17:32

DM: I had a total elevation of approx 2800ft up, 2800ft down on my first Marathon in June - run in 3:02 - I am still so proud of that. That added to yesterdays disappointment on a flat course.        I like hills!

15/10/2012 at 17:35

Reverse Order review;

Dylan Man - Dont fret on it, you have your contingency already set out so give it a bash.

KR - Another nice half there.

AR - Its only a matter of time till all aspects come together at the same time and sub 3 will be there,

Moof - Impressive given not at 100% fitness

RJ - add my congrats to those you already have and deserve

Speedy well done and we look forward to your report!

Another 25min run under my belt and am now starting to think about increasing these little jogs to something a little more structured.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.