Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

21,121 to 21,140 of 37,117 messages
17/10/2012 at 21:08

Nosh has that meaning here too, Menna
Snap - Ant's definition is correct here - eg today my snap (at meal break) was a chicken & lettuce sarnie, with 2 tomatoes, orange and apple.
Nesh - also used as a verb occasionally - "to nesh" - often in football context; eg
"he neshed it", to describe pulling out of a tackle for fear of being hurt.

17/10/2012 at 21:20

Menna/Birch - Down in leafy Surrey we prefer(red) to use the phrasal verb "to nosh off".

17/10/2012 at 21:53
Snap is a word associated with miners, men used snap tins to stop the rats eating their sarnies. It's called "bait" in the north east. This feels like one of those odd taper conversations.

Anyway I will nail colours to the mast - hard to predict a time for Abo on Sunday, will see what it feels like on the day but it will be stg like 2.59 - 3.14, anyone else got a target?
17/10/2012 at 22:08

For you? Yes, 2:58:59. And yes, that's the context in which I first heard the word 'snap': in Orwell's 'Road to Wigan Pier'.

18/10/2012 at 06:35

Mennania - nice steady progress.
And it's just plain ol' grub round these parts. No such thing as nesh or snap, I'm afraid.
Set out in light rain for a steady run this morning. I've finally found a 3.5 mile route to my in-laws that keeps to the street lights. It's a bit uncomfortable carrying my younger daughter's music books, but I was really enjoying myself on the way back, at a slightly faster pace as I was no longer encumbered. Then just after 5:45 it absolutely chucked it down and I ran the last 10 mins or so in a deluge. In the words of my French teacher, je me suis trempe jusqu'aux os.

18/10/2012 at 08:22
Gul Darr wrote (see)

In the words of my French teacher, je me suis trempe jusqu'aux os.

I seem to remeber our French teacher was a man of few words and a good left hook.

18/10/2012 at 08:39

I was referring to "Eric" - he was never short of an anecdote to share with the class and I don't remember him ever raising a hand in anger. Which one did you have in mind?!

18/10/2012 at 10:06

We used 'scran' for food in the cold north of England and that term is adopted by the Navy as well.  'Nesh' I know well, but as our school's culture was to not wear coats or jumpers even on the coldest days of the year, I grew up being decidedly un-nesh.

Target for Sunday - probably I'll start at around 7:20 pace after a slow first mile and see how I go. Target is to break 3:15 for the first time - it's within my capability so just needs good execution and reasonable weather.  Speedwise, endurancewise and aerobically it is achievable, just my sore hip and thighs are still present.  The fallback target should things go bad is to get the 'B' seeding standard for Comrades, which is sub 3:20

18/10/2012 at 12:15

And not to forget one can also encounter a cold 'snap', which of course brings out the worst nesh behavioir.

wish I was fit enough for a marathon this w/end.

18/10/2012 at 13:23
Ant van Oviedo wrote (see)

Menna/Birch - Down in leafy Surrey we prefer(red) to use the phrasal verb "to nosh off".

Never heard that in our part of Surrey, but I'll be careful when I next pop into somewhere for a bite to eat.

I've never though of myself as particularly nesh when it came to running, but I have had the gloves on already this year. Definitely still shorts weather though.

Most amusing example of the day so far of the wrong letter being used but not being picked up by the spell checker was an email that got sent to the whole of our company that said "if some of the fire extinguishers are not located on the wall please don’t worry as they are being testes".

Good luck to all the Abo runners for Sunday - I'll be pleased with anything sub 4 in the Greensand Marathon but it is a little bit hillier than Abo. And rain is forecast.

18/10/2012 at 14:10

Lorenzo - Ah, but we're north-east Surrey...Asfor the person who sent out that email, I hope they got a bol***king.

I also wish I was fit enough for a marathon this w/e - I've got a bit of something or other and am feeling totally washed-out, so my 7-milers today and yesterday were a bit of a struggle. HR way up and sweating like there was no tomorrow.

18/10/2012 at 17:36

careful Ant- I work in HR

18/10/2012 at 19:25

ooh, talk about marathon targets is quite exciting isnt it. Good running to all.  I am under the weather with a virus but given where I am it it is no biggy. Kudos to Ant for running two 7 milers when not right and not letting the cnba monkey get in the way.

Lorenzo - someone sent a card to all office staff thanking us for a present for their newborn and I quote " I would like to thank you all for the gift of the personalised muslim..." still makes my laugh and cringe at the same time. Worrying thing is out of 40 odd only two of us noticed.

Edit - bad time for a typo

Edited: 18/10/2012 at 19:26
18/10/2012 at 20:28
Gul Darr wrote (see)

I was referring to "Eric" - he was never short of an anecdote to share with the class and I don't remember him ever raising a hand in anger. Which one did you have in mind?!

Same one, he struck one guy full blow, one half of the bully pair: Moore and Julian?

18/10/2012 at 21:30
I'd have assumed a couple of heavyweights like you and Gul would have assumed the Gripper Stebson role at your Alma Mater PMJ....
18/10/2012 at 21:42
Which one was Flashman and which was Tom Brown?
Or was it more like Malcolm McDowell in "If"?....
18/10/2012 at 22:12

Hmm, bait and scran I'm familiar with, but snap? That's a card game. We'll be onto the great cob/bun/roll debate next.... (it's a BUN, unless it's got something in it, and then it's a BUTTY).

18/10/2012 at 22:21

Barm cake

18/10/2012 at 23:39
Bap
MsE
19/10/2012 at 00:06

Hmm, an ex-boyfriend used to refer to something else as baps...

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.