Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

21,181 to 21,200 of 37,757 messages
21/10/2012 at 22:07
Poacher - fantastic! Very well done. 31st marathon? Amazing!
21/10/2012 at 22:12
Congrats one and all racers today. Truly awesome efforts by all of you with pb's and v impressive Greensands Lorenzo.
Chuffed for mr perseverance Poacher!
21/10/2012 at 22:17

Epic all round.

Really brilliant DM - first mara on a very tough course - amazing result.  That ascent/descent is worth at around 8-10 minutes on a flatter course.  More to come from you.

Lorenzo - excellent result - that's a tough course and a great result with the ascent/descent and off road too.

3 guys under sub-3 at Abo - well done chaps.  Glad I missed the 'Army girl'

Good to hear from Keir and MartinH as well.

Off to the Lake District tomorrow.  So busy packing, etc. and not going to get full report done tonight.  Will endevour to do so over the next few days.

Just been celebrating at home with my wife who has been very supportive of my running and made a lot of sacrafices to let me run so many times and look after our kids.

The old heros of the past have been busted (I'm talking about Lance Armstrong and a whole host of others) and instead of seeking inspiration from their 'unbelivable' achivements, I have sought inspiration from the real world. This is where you came into my head my friends.  I have sought inspiration from each and everyone of you today and I thank you for that.

21/10/2012 at 22:46

Managed to slip in that I knew MartinH when younger Lorenzito was going through the latest edition of the Guinness Book of World Records and came across London's fastest fairy!!!

For some reason he thinks I should go for the record of the fastest London Marathon dressed as a monk. Not sure what that says about his impression of the life that Mrs L and I lead!

21/10/2012 at 23:14
Lorenzo wrote (see)

Managed to slip in that I knew MartinH when younger Lorenzito was going through the latest edition of the Guinness Book of World Records and came across London's fastest fairy!!!

For some reason he thinks I should go for the record of the fastest London Marathon dressed as a monk. Not sure what that says about his impression of the life that Mrs L and I lead!

Maybe you have just thought him that running is a good habit (yes I have been drinking)

22/10/2012 at 06:41

Poacher:  Very nice way to notch up marathon #31

22/10/2012 at 07:25

Well done poacher, another terrific performance to add the y/days roll call of Super Sunday. This thread is gonna be flat for a while after that lot. Better get our heads down for winter. 

22/10/2012 at 08:12
Congratulations Poacher. After 31! Just proves that keeping on going pays off - superb
22/10/2012 at 08:16
Poacher- brilliant stuff sir!! Is that PB for you or am I way off there? It gives me great hope that the curve for improvement hasn't flattened out yet. Monster
22/10/2012 at 08:32
Poacher- I think #31 is the most impressive stat of all Sundays great performances. I reckon you must like long distance running.
22/10/2012 at 08:40

Birch - sounds like an idyllic run; hope it's not much longer to wait now.
Speedy - good just to go out and enjoy yourself in the XC; will have done wonders for your mojo.
OOlg - good solid week; please send some of the sunshine down this way.
Bike It - fabulous PB; you should be really chuffed with that.
DM - well done on a sterling performance; that's a great time on a very tough sounding course. Perhaps you were right to be concerned about the hills after all. Congrats on the GFA.
Lorenzo - excellent sub 4 on a brutal course. Was the singing of Jerusalem compulsory? Bizarre!
FW - great news on the sub 3; huge congratulations. Look forward to the report.
AR - I am truly flabbergasted. To come back after the dreadful experience you had and nail a sub 3 a week after a herculean effort is just incredible. Hats off. Now make sure you enjoy a good rest!!!
Keir - good to hear from you again; sounds like the duathlons are going really well.
EFC-Col - cracking 10k time there.
SD - that's great news. Pleased to hear all is going well.
Poacher - amazing stuff. HUGE congratulations and thoroughly deserved. Should be a quality report too.  Any plans for an ultra next weekend?
Meanwhile, I'm plodding on with 6 miles this morning.

22/10/2012 at 09:06

Gul - it wasn't compulsory, but you would have stood out if you'd made a silent protest and not sung. Personally I think it's a great hymm and I've got it as myring tone. It also became my star turn when singing with my ex-Irish colleagues after a rather over enthusiastic initial version at about 3 in the morning!!

OK - confession time. I think I might have exaggerated the amount of climb on the Greensand but I'm blaming the Garmin for that, unless it was me waving my arms around alot on the descents!!!

Official result: 21st place - could have finished a few places higher but I got picked off by a few fast finishers at the end as my legs seized up. Still pleased with both the position and the time though.

Couple of days rest from running planned, but hoping to be OK for some volleyball tomorrow evening and then looking forward to another hilly local run at the end of November. Might try and get some more cross country in as well this year.

JD3
22/10/2012 at 09:06

A very high standard of Marathoning across the board, well done everyone. I hope you’re all suitably pleased with the times. I feel like AR (and perhaps ARs physio) are deserving of a special mention. But hugely impressive from everyone, well done.

I’m not sure if any of you are vastly excited at the prospect of a JD3 race report, but nevertheless. Now it’s done it’s a lot longer than I expected, sorry.

If we start from the beginning, well just under 2 years ago, I was 94kg and doing the occasional 3 miler (because a 3 miler was pretty much all I could do), slowly that picked up and I got down to my current 80kg format. (I’m quite tall)

I got around my first half marathon about 13 months ago, in 1.48- which was faster than expected and more painful than expected. Training went quite well over the winter, and I ran my PB half marathon in the spring of just under 1.33 (I’ve not raced one since-just done a couple at supposed marathon pace)

The aim was, and I guess still is, to try and get a sub 3hr marathon, and when I started specific marathon training I was planning on doing each week based on a marginally faster time, hoping that I could get faster and train for a marathon at the same time. The wheels came off a couple of months ago, I was running too fast to benefit fully for it, and a particularly heavy week made me realise that 3hrs wasn’t on the cards. I readjusted my goal to 3.10 and carried on with the P+D training. It was all going quite well, I did a couple of sessions I was really pleased with- taking 2 mins off my PB for my local 5 mile lap, 14 miles in 1.39, a very relaxed 1.42 half marathon, and a MP/HMP/10k/10k/HMP/MP session that almost was faster than my 10k pb (41.xx), and a MP+10% 21miler were my real confidence boosting sessions.

But then in the last week before the marathon I’d had a cold which worried me a lot, and I lost confidence a bit, seeing people saying double your HM time and add 10% etc (which would suggest 3.25 or so.) It also dawned on me that quite a lot of my longer runs/hard sessions had been on an out and back route, that was uphill on the way out and therefore downhill on the way back. This made me think that when the going got tough in the session and when I was supposed to be working hard on the 2nd half I was getting an easy ride, because it was all slightly downhill- rightly or wrongly this spooked me a bit.

Also not having done a marathon before I was a bit scared of ‘the wall’ and the unknown that came in those much talked about final 6 miles. I hoped that I had done enough to prevent the wall, Id eaten a month’s worth of flapjack, rice and potatoes in the few days previous.

I decided to aim for 3.15 and adjust accordingly, thinking if I was coughing up the last bit of a cold, then I could scale back.

Then yesterday came around, and after a breakfast of more pilau rice I was at start line, my plan involved concentrating on one mile at a time, having a gel at miles 6,12,17,22, and making sure I had water at every stop.

Intentionally I started a bit further back than 3.15 would expect to try and prevent a stupid first mile, that work quite well, with a 7.45 (7.25s is 3.15) the next two were 7.10 and 7.20, meaning after 3 miles I was bang on target. Miles 4-10 were all pretty much 7.2x,

Then in mile 11 I narrowly avoided being hit by a fast moving wing mirror, and after that the adrenaline put that mile a few seconds too fast, miles 12-15 were all a little bit fast (7.1x)  but feeling easy and I went through half way in 1.36.xx.

I’d heard that mile 13-20 were the time when it’s easy to slip a little as a few aches and pains creep in, but I was feeling very good up until about mile 18. 17 and 18 were a little slow for some reason,

JD3
JD3
22/10/2012 at 09:07

but my garmin measured them slightly long.

Miles 19 and 20 was the first time I started to feel slightly tired, but I figured after running 18 miles a little fatigue was to be expected. The fatigue was creeping in for mile 21 and 22, but I was still running pretty much at or below 7.25s.

The longest run I did in training was 22, and I think that was important, as I did feel more uneasy from then on, in the unknown, I had my 4th gel at 22 and my stomach was a little tight, but the mile was pretty much on target.

Miles 23,24and 25 were the sort of dark patch, I was tiring, and slowing a little, and I was overtaking a lot of people walking/staggering and in various degrees of pain, ranging from a lot upwards. I think in hindsight I could have pushed on harder in those 3 miles, but I was a bit reserved because of the unknown, I knew I could bleed several seconds a mile and still get in under 3.15. So I just kept running, but just not quite as fast, then mile 26 I pushed on back to around target pace, and the last bit was the fastest bit of the race- though I don’t really remember any of the last 200m or so.

So overall, my first marathon, 3.13.xx, Quite pleased, pretty much even splits, (the second half was less than 60s slower) and now I know what a marathon involves. I never felt a wall, it was more like the first 18 miles were gradually downhill, the next 4 flat, and the final 4 slightly uphill.

Having felt fine for the majority of the race I felt quite unwell at the end, so I don’t know whether I could have got much more time off, I’m reasonably confident that a 3.12 was feasible if I’d been less scared in the last 4 miles, but for a first marathon I’d rather get a 3.13 and live to tell the tale, than collapse in mile 25.

I think now I’m going to have a quiet week or two and then spend the winter doing a lot of easy off road miles to try and build up my engine a bit. I don’t think it’s my CV system that is the limiting factor (my HR was nearly uniform throughout, only averaging about 2/3bpm higher for mile 26 than mile 3) I think that by far my biggest hurdle is my lack of speed, I might try and get my 5k-HMs PBs down before I try another marathon. This time next year perhaps.

JD3
22/10/2012 at 09:22

JD3 - excellent report & a great effort.  As you say, just over a year ago you recorded 1:48 for half - you probably couldn't have imagined that 13 months later you would stitch 2 halves together, each 11 mins or so quicker!
Brilliantly executed race, and now you have experienced those last miles, there will be more to come. 

22/10/2012 at 09:30

"....in various degrees of pain, ranging from a lot upwards."
Nice one, JD3 - great stuff.

I don't think anyone doubted it'd be a sub 3 from Poacher, did they? (apart from the man himself, perhaps).  About bloody time anyway.

Excellent marathoning all round and I've enjoyed reading about it all.  Two in 2 weeks from Also-ran is a bit lively, isn't it.

22/10/2012 at 09:36

JD - enjoyed reading the report and the great progress you made since the outset. That was a really well controlled race for you first marathon (I had a monster positive split on my 1st) Sounds like we had similar races - chalking off each mile. Well done

22/10/2012 at 10:03
Poacher. Well done mate, knew you could do it
jD3 great report and a great 1st marathon, have a well deserved rest
22/10/2012 at 10:29

JD - Brilliant report of a brilliantly-managed effort. For a firdst time you were incredibly sensible about it all (apart from the pilau-rice-for-breakfast bit).

Sorry to bring the thread down with a bump, but my knees really ache. I did 10 miles yesterday to bring up 33 miles for the week, and recently on every run I've done my knees have started to ache, a burning sensation, and swell up after 30-40 minutes or so. I've got a perennially dogy left kneee, but this is affecting both. In September I changed from Saucony Triumphs to Brooks Ghosts, and they've not been working too well for me. In November my mum is coming over to visit, and she'll be bringing me a pair of Triumph 9s. I can't wait.

22/10/2012 at 11:26

JD3 Great report and even more impressive, very well controlled marathon. The objective of a first marathon is to finish thinking about the next one, rather than saying never again. So it is good you are already thinking about the next one.

Ant Sorry to hear of your knee problems, hopefully the new shoes will help.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.