Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

21,201 to 21,220 of 38,982 messages
22/10/2012 at 11:27

JD3, interesting report. I'm six months behind you, having recently done 92.xx HM and looking to run the full in six months' time. If I can emulate your progress, I'll be well pleased.

Did my first 14-miler yesterday, 37 for the week. Building up that base ...

22/10/2012 at 11:38
JD3- fantastic effort and a sensibly paced race. Great report too, don't worry only non runners find them tedious. So be mindful of that at future diner parties, mile for mile in depth detail may just bore the tits off everyone.

Sod the beetroot juice I'm on the pilau rice!

Look after those the knees Ant.
22/10/2012 at 12:23

Poacher - Congratulations sir! 31 marathons is an unbelievable effort as is  sub 3 -  I doff my proverbial fruit laden hat  to you

JD3 - Anyone running their first marathon should print off your race report and learn it off by heart!

Ant - Take it easy.

Will be difficult for the thread to top this weekends running.

8 miles for me yesterday, legs are achey today but no more than you would expect. I take it as part of my recovery programme I increase frequency first, duration second and intensity last?

22/10/2012 at 13:18

An outstanding day of Marathon Running from the thread with brilliant performances all round.

If you're going to break 3:00 hours on your 31st Marathon you may as well do it by a decent margin - stunning stuff Poacher, look forward to hearing whether it was just an accident or a carefully crafted plan.

Cutting it fine again there Fraser but congrats on another Sub 3

A good report JD3 and an excellently executed first marathon.

I can't comprehend how you can run another marathon let alone nail a Sub 3 time AR - have a rest now!

Excellent performances from Bike-It (very well paced) and Lorenzo (sounds like a lot of mud) as well.

Did someone say 6 months to London - need to start doing training!  Making the start line may the main challenge this year for me but I'm currently back up to 6 days a week of steady 5 milers so there's hope yet ...

22/10/2012 at 13:45

Very nice debut, JD3 and a nice report (speaking as a runner, I like that level of detail!).  But I'm with Ant on the pilau-rice-for-breakfast front.  May I suggest porridge or toast?

Sorry to hear about the knees, Ant and hope a change of shoes does the trick.  Is foam rollering helping?

22/10/2012 at 17:42

JD3- I thought your report might end in disaster, how nice to see you accelerated over the last few miles and finished strong. You had a good strategy, you excceded your target, and something in the bag for the next one.

22/10/2012 at 18:09

Nice one JD, you had the strategy and problem solving ability that others take years to learn. Spot on about the anticipation of what the dreaded last 6 miles are going to throw up, and about the darkness and pain of miles 23-25. Excellent work

22/10/2012 at 18:50

Anyway, race report....apologies for what may be a long one

30 previous maras maybe, but counting out early undertrained efforts and those done offroad; jetlagged; 2-14 days apart; as ultra training; in heatwaves; or in fancy dress it was probably only the 2nd time when sub3 was a realistic possibility, although it was only an outside target yesterday and has never really been my motivation. Training had been about 48mpw ave. since the start of August, but with only 3 LRs of 20m or more, one of which was a 3.18 mara. But 3 parkruns and some painful 1-3m track reps really helped. 

Crucially, a nice cold day at Abingdon. Equipment failure help dictate tactics - the Garmin is kaput so pacing was down to feel, mile markers and an old stopwatch; then bizarrely a belt malfunction meant that I literally lost all but one gel just after the start. Doh!  Under the circs and without much fuel or many LRs, a negative split would have been too hard to pull off so I decided to get some time in the bank.  Set off too fast, slowed to a fairly steady 6.45mm, got to halfway in 1.26.56, about right.  Then it was all about trying to keep it to 6.40-6.50ish for as long as poss.  20m came in 2.14 and for the first time I knew sub 3 or a 3.02 PB were on...but we all know how much can go wrong over the last few miles. I took the solitary gel, plodded on and with 4m to go worked out that I could afford to fade to 7.30mm and still make it. The last half hour wasn't pretty but those few minutes in hand meant no stress, just stay confident and it's in the bag. Probably should have gone eyeballs out for 2.56 but at the stage it didn't matter.

22/10/2012 at 19:10

....so it was 2.57.14 and 3rd OldGit50. It all felt a bit understated afterwards, sub3 had never been the Holy Grail and on the day it was a lot easier that expected. These time barriers are in the mind and I see now that there is no rocket science to becoming faster - just avoid injury, do the miles, train outside the comfort zone, and when you create an opportunity just grasp it and cash in on the hard work.

Having said that, 24hrs on it's great to have done something I never believed possible, and a nice tick in the box.  Thanks for all the kind thoughts, and extra respect to those who take fewer than 31 maras to achieve the dream!

TR
22/10/2012 at 19:21

Ant - Saucony Triumph 9's are going for £65 from Milletsports online.

Excellent reports, excellent sub3's (2 weeks in a row at ~3hrs is nuts, just push one of them hard !). But a massive well done to Poacher. Easier than expected too !

22/10/2012 at 19:29
Excellent report Poacher. I've only done 3 long runs in the run up to the TM on Sunday (which looks like it might be done in snow) should I go for sub 3?
22/10/2012 at 19:34

Go for it - just imagine that there's a tasty fella (of your choice) waiting at the finish line with a box of Milk Tray and some embrocation...should be enough to motivate you

22/10/2012 at 20:03

Minni- poachers plan sounds a fair one. Depends how important the sub 3 is. I'd say it's unlikely you'll get sub 3 on that course and you could blow up trying. I guess this is a B race so not much to lose either if you feel good on the day and really go for it. 

22/10/2012 at 20:11
ahahahah OO! I can't even run sub 3:15 never mind 3 - I was joking.
22/10/2012 at 21:10

Nice work JD3. Your strategy sounds excellent. Stay fit and there's clearly loads more to come. The detail is NEVER boring - that's what it's all about

Poacher - weird yet fantastic how it all came together for you. One of those days where it all just clicked eh. Like you said - in mnay ways it's not rocket science. Increasingly I'm realising it's about staying injury free and not getting too concerned about bad days/sessions/races in the build up

Good to see you back and posting SBD

Good luck on Sun Minni - I met the "headmaster" on Sun for the first time ! Was good to put a face to the name and have a bit of banter

22/10/2012 at 22:12

Just as well you dipped under 3 then Fraser otherwise you might have been in for a caning.....

22/10/2012 at 22:34

Poacher, I've said it before but I'll say it again, you are Legend. 

JD3 - loved the report. We love details on here, and none of them are boring. 

22/10/2012 at 22:51

TR - Thanks - yes, that's where I got them from. Suspiciously cheap, no?

Poacher - *Gets down on knees* I am not worthy.

22/10/2012 at 23:55

The Monday read back today has to be the most epic one in memory since I first arrived as The Gay Bloke.  I cannot believe a year has passed since I last ran a marathon at Abingdon!  I was very envious to hear more of you running this year and am delighted that it came good for you all there and everywhere else.

Bike It - well done on your 3:10! Plenty more where that came from I bet.

Fraser - a very impressive 2nd sub-3 to add to your marathon history.

Poacher - delighted you got your sub-3. It was only a matter of time and, let's be frank, it took 31 because you run so many of the things!

AR - I am astounded at the fact that you not only ran a second marathon in two weeks but also a sub-3. And with a distracting female grunting her way around alongside you it would seem.

DM  - you have done brilliantly to run a sub-3:15 so easily on your first outing. Does sub-3 beckon next?

Lorenzo - these flat marathons are not enough of a challenge for you are they that you have to seek out the hilliest ones around?  A great time on a difficult course!  What about coming to race in California one of these days?  Plenty of hills and not much else around these parts.

JD3 - what a great report and what a cool and calculated sub-3:15.  Congrats!

Keir  - hello again! How is the little one? Hope your family of 5 is settled into its new format now.  A very impressive top 10 finish from you there.

It is also good to see that Birch  has been for a good-for-the-soul run and SBD  is banking steady miles in anticipation of VLM. Sorry to hear about your niggle, Ant. Hope the new shoes help.  New shoes often help don't they?

Nice speedy 10K from efc and XCing (very good for form according to Goater) from Jools and Speedy!

Phew...

23/10/2012 at 00:01

Me... I'm still nursing my Achilles injury and had an MRI today as it won't hea,l despite plenty of rest and acupuncture, so continue to be benched and doing conditioning classes like a loon

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.