Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

21,401 to 21,420 of 38,651 messages
31/10/2012 at 20:16

I think P&D is pretty much a development / refinement of Jack Daniel DM. 

No running for me for 2 weeks apparently.  Is it normal to feel like this?

http://lh6.ggpht.com/-9Mnp6QPqweM/TrhtBrmnMOI/AAAAAAAAABA/u7V8SKqVIDg/buster%252520gonad.jpg

31/10/2012 at 20:27
No but it is feasible
31/10/2012 at 20:31

31/10/2012 at 20:36

Pose, Chi, Hadd, PnD, etc..................run more and you will get better, run some more and you will get even better again. Simple formula really, run lots of slow miles, some quicker miles and a few even quicker miles and you will get better over a prolonged period of time.

..Splendid stuff, that should be cut & pasted on all those newbie threads that start with 'I need a plan' 

Birch.. how's the recuperation coming along?

Keir.. I know a few limericks that would suit that picture!

31/10/2012 at 20:53
Stay off the bike as well, keir. Women don't know how lucky they are!

Coke bottle worked a treat on my tight thigh. A couple of agonizing sessions and pain/tightness a distant memory.

I've booked up my spring races, Wokingham half, Reading half and VLM. May also do the Bramley 20 but this is only a week after Wokingham and I'm planning to do that at full tilt, so Bramley may be just a training run.

8 slow miles for me tonight in horizontal rain, six hilly miles yesterday and a 4 & 4 double run commute on Monday which I've been doing for a few weeks now.
May even do another double tomorrow as I thought I might as well get used to them whilst running mostly easy miles before the proper P&D training starts in the new year.

Welcome (back) DS2 and Freemers.

Glad the test was inconclusive, slokey. I've tried a few ice baths.....nah, not for me.
31/10/2012 at 21:10
Carp day at work so ran a bit harder than intended tonight. So much for slow and steady!

I'm not convinced about ice bath approach either. Have some hockey mates who swear by them but not for me.

Been thinking about Bramley 20 as well myself. Can anyone recommend?
31/10/2012 at 21:13

Can't remember who is was, some Brit I think who was living in cold Canada - but he used to keep a wheelie bin full of water outside. Instant ice bath. 

From my understanding - you actually need to switch between ice and warm water every few minutes for the treatment to be effective (Roman bath style). CNBA anyone?

31/10/2012 at 21:30
DS2- I ran Bramley in 2010, its a popular race and well marshalled, although not too many spectators. It's a fairly flat course as well and I can only remember one long incline. Two laps so you can always bail after the first.
In fact it was the first time I had ever run 20 miles and I was dead on my feet at the end and understood what 'hitting the wall' was all about but managed 2.21. So pleased with the time for a first go.
Yes I can recommend it.
31/10/2012 at 21:38
Moof - that's great. I believe it's near Reading so about 75 min drive so not too bad. Haven't done too many 20 mile races. In fact last one was in Feb 1994!!!

I was thinking I'd like to be close to 7 min miling so would be delighted to get near your time.
31/10/2012 at 22:55

Kier, you seem to have renderedMinni speechless.

Another run day lost here.

01/11/2012 at 08:00

Keir, yes there's not much that can keep Minni quiet but you've managed it with that I'm choking on my breakfast here

Ice baths? No way - too much of a wimp!

I'm glad it's not too early to start planning races for the spring. I have to say I missed having any 20 mile races for the autumn marathon training - I do almost all my running solo so it's nice to run wih some company. I'll be doing the Tarpley 20 (near Bury St Edmonds) and the Wymondham 20 if anyone else is out in East Anglia? Also the Cranleigh 21 down in Surrey which I really like. I should say that I won't be racing them. Well I might race the first one and use the rest for long runs.

Tempted by a recovery run today but probably won't...good that the thought is there though

Edited: 01/11/2012 at 08:07
01/11/2012 at 08:22

I'm setting my 2013 goals at the moment too.  Main target races:

VLM - of course
Northumberland Coastal - July
TM Marathon - Oct

OO I've entered the Northumberland half in March - have you done that before?

FW - I'll be doing the Meadows half again in March but probably just as a MP run.  You were looking for more races and this is a great one.  7 laps so also good for building mental strength.

Kier - lets just say, I hope you're feeling better!  At least you'll never have to feel like this...

http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/46278/gallery/pumpkin.jpg?width=350

01/11/2012 at 09:41

Freemers - I believe the Tarpley 20 is the modern version of the old Bury 20 - is that correct? What date is that? I could be tempted, also. I do most of my running alone as well so like doing some of the longer races for the company as well. Wymondham 20 wouldn't be out of the question either - not too far to travel and I have a caravan on the East coast so could always crash there the night before which would halve the travelling time. For the first time in years I have no family commitments on a Sunday so I intend to get back racing regularly again. It helps keep me focused throughout my training!

Minni - great picture. Some mornings I do feel like that! Also, wanted to say great effort a couple of weeks ago - and even better celebrating!

01/11/2012 at 10:00

DS2 - yes, run by the same club but I think the course is different. I've not done it before but I did the old one years ago and remember it was quite tough.  I'm seeing my podiatrist for a "post marathon check up" on Saturday - she runs for that club so I'll ask her what its like.  It's 24 February.  And Wymondham is the following Sunday (first Sunday in March).

01/11/2012 at 10:50

Freemers - I remember the Bury 20 being quite tough but I was 19 years younger when I did it and much fitter. It was pretty competitive. If I remember rightly I ran 2:01 and finished 36th!!! I imagine anyone running that pace now would be a little higher placed. This time round I'll be looking to use them more as training runs really rather than racing. I was so naiive back then that I ran a marathon the following weekend.

Is Wymondham near the airforce base at the end of the A11?

01/11/2012 at 11:08

I see NYC marathon is definitely going ahead on Sunday - ok if the wind is behind I would think!!!

01/11/2012 at 11:09

DS2 - I think my go at the Bury race was about 15 years ago, and I almost certainly would have taken over 3 hours! Definitely improved since then...

Wymondham is off the A11, yes. Probably near an airfield as there are loads round there. The start is right in the town centre, then you go out for about 2.5 miles, do a 7.5 mile loop twice and then back. Pretty flat, just one incline on the way back to the finish, but it's not steep.

01/11/2012 at 11:20

Freemers - I'll defintely aim to do at least one of those. Do you live that way? I'm 49 next April so will be 50 the week of VLM 2014 so would like to get my GFA for that year sometime in the Spring 2013. Not sure if Halstead is the fastest course to attempt it on, but I really enjoy the event so will give it a go. Very hilly where I live so it suits me ok!

Where are your PB's nowadays?

01/11/2012 at 11:50

DS2 - I live in North Suffolk, about 7 miles south east of Diss.  So Bury is about 25 miles away, Wymondham probably the same.  I've done the Bungay Marathon before too - that is the closest to me, about 15 miles away.  Some say that is quite a hard course, but I didn't find it too bad - it was my PB course for a while, although beat that in VLM last year.

PBs are 3.24 for marathon and 1.34 for HM.  3.15 is a bit of a dream and I need to get my HM time down a bit I think. I'm doing the Norwich HM in a few weeks and will give it a go then - aim for around 1.32-1.33 with any luck.  I almost never race shorter stuff, apart from the odd Parkrun - haven't done a 10k in about 3-4 years! I've just entered the Stowmarket 7 a week on Sunday which will be the first one of that sort of distance in a long while, so well see how well I've recovered from the marathon

01/11/2012 at 12:03

Freemers - I know it reasonably well up there! Have played a fair bit of hockey at Harleston Magpies over the years. Looks like you've made good improvements. I'm in a similar place as you now. I tend to ignore my PB's from when I was younger because I've had so many years in between without any consistent running that they are somewhat irrelevant. I'm looking at getting my 'current' half PB down to below 1:30 which I think will set me up for sub 3:15 as long as I get the miles in.

Since coming back on this thread I've found my motivation has increased again so I intend to hang around this time. Some of the progress on here is truly inspirational.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.