Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

21,561 to 21,580 of 35,761 messages
04/11/2012 at 16:45
Jools- I did 10 miles at 6.30am this morning on part of the Bristol to Bath cycle path and it was pretty unpleasant with snow and sleet. Temptation to stay in bed with snoring Mrs Dylan man was very tempting!
04/11/2012 at 16:47
Sorry i'm not really a p+d expert. Is it like the Bible? As everyone seems to be quoting from it.
04/11/2012 at 16:58

P&D - well worth adding to the Christmas List.  It's so good that some runners own both the first and second editions

12 for me today but kilometers rather than miles ().  No snow but a first appearance of the tracksters and thermal vest - I think Winter Training is about to start ..

It seems like you have to enter your Spring races earlier and earlier.  I had fancied running Brighton HM in February but registrations have already closed and Wokingham is filling fast ...

Edited: 04/11/2012 at 16:59
04/11/2012 at 17:17
Thanks for the advice - will definitely be P&D, though still toying with adding in a few tweaks

Base building at the mo following a couple of weeks off post Mablethorpe. 9M easy yesterday (ave 8.25 pace) and rest day today
04/11/2012 at 17:35

You have come to the right place LB70. Many of us broke our 3:15 or 3 hour targets with good advce from this thread.

Congrats on the parkrun victory poacher. My only victory was in the summer when all the good runners was on holiday, but they all count.

Good blast in the mud Joolska.

Well the Derwentwater 10 today was sunny, cool with a slight breeze.Still waiting for the results but my time of 61:30 was 20 secs down on last year, However I think I scraped a top 20 finish in a good field, and am waiting to hear if I get a Vets prize.

Lovely w/end in Keswick including seeing Skyfall at the quaint Keswick cinema with all the family. 

04/11/2012 at 17:56

I've already entered Wokingham, Bramley (20M option), Bath and Reading as marathon pace/tune up races, plus the local 5M series in Weston.  Stick in a few XC races and parkruns and I think that's enough tempo work!

Dylan Man: I woke up at 7am, saw the rain which had big flakes of snow mixed in (but not enough that they were settling) and decided I was prepared to wait until 10am for things to clear, as that's what the forecast was suggesting would happen.  For once, they were right (almost to the minute!). You did well to tough out 10M in those conditions -  brrrr.

04/11/2012 at 18:50

Impressive Admin Jools.

I've been pretty fustrated not to have been able to run the past week, but I certainly timed it right weather wise. I've spent my off time wisely though. Ignored the HARD CORE exercise link posted the other day and instead browsed ebay and have come away with a running machine.  Dry but monotonous mornings await!

Well done on all who braved the conditions today.

04/11/2012 at 19:13
Keir- that's enough excuses, just get out there but don't forget the wheelbarrow!

15 slow miles for me this morning in the freezing rain. I'm finding these 'easy' slow long runs quite hard work trying to keep the heart rate below 75%.
04/11/2012 at 19:38

Running machine?    Good luck with that 

OO - nice time on what can't be a particularly flat course. The Alhambra is a real gem. Is the film any good?

Careful now Scooby!

Lorenzo... we need to see a team pic of the Discos in their spandex and legwarmers

Welcome delurkers.  LB you have the speed to go well under 3.15, prob just need a bit more training and really believe in yourself over the last few miles on race day.

Interesting that so many now use P&D. Is anyone actually using the old RW schedules? Or any other plan.  

Edited: 04/11/2012 at 19:42
04/11/2012 at 19:42
I just make up my own plan which takes parts from many different plans I have used before. I use what has worked before and just add in a few tweaks if I think I need to work on speed / endurance or anything else. I also tailor some of the sessions depending on the race eg. Off road , hilly etc.
04/11/2012 at 20:01

Not a great fan of Bond films poacher but definately watchable.

Yep it's a 3rd V45 vet prize

04/11/2012 at 20:20
Great race result OO

I'm not big Bond fan either but loved Skyfall.

It's been a glorious day here in the NE. Unfortunately, apart from a couple of hours watching my son play rugby, I've spent it in bed ill. Must have been something I ate....
04/11/2012 at 20:35

Hello to the Newbies!!

Poacher - I used the RW sub 3.15 plan last year for VLM but put in a couple more 20+ runs as it is light in that dept. It did what it said it would. Nice result btw.

Nice result too OO

Hope you are feeling better Minni

I am reading P&D presently - I have managed to get a pdf version of it and have it on a usb stick on my key ring so it is never far away.

9 miles of bimble around the 8.30 mm for me nice n early today -it was quite warm up here, still in shorts and no gloves or hat.

04/11/2012 at 20:46
Actually for those going to follow the P&D I still have a copy of the spreadsheet SteveC designed a couple of years ago to support it. It has all the formulas for calculation paces etc. If anyone wants a copy pm me your email address and I'll forward it on.
04/11/2012 at 21:00

Thanks Minni.

If anyone wants a copy of the PDF version (clearly as protection for the hard copy you have already purchased) pm me. It is 23mb mind.

04/11/2012 at 21:03
To be honest you need the book as back up for the spreadsheet too.
04/11/2012 at 21:18

Just finished my 24 week P&D training planner (I am a 1st and 2nd edition girl, so have the 24 week option), but it will be 'P&D plus' because of various races.  I race a bit more than they think you should...

04/11/2012 at 22:00

Congratulations OO on the Vet placing at Derwentwater.

Jools - thats some list of races you have lined up. I see what you mean by "I race a bit more than they think you should..."

Hello delurkers.

First real week back to running next week. Did just over 15 this week, less than I did on the indoor rower.

9 this morning in the freezing rain. Had to stop a mile from home as I felt a recurrence of my recent injury - I think the cold/rainy weather wasn't helping   I'm reckoning on several weeks before I use the word Tempo or Speed.

Not decided on a marathon plan yey. I had a look to see how close I was to P&D 55-70 from the last campaign. Midweek my mileage was a little lower, although I did similar medium long runs. I seemed to have gone nuts at the weekends as there were 10 weeks out of 16 where I ran 20+. Half a dozen 20's next time for me maximum.

04/11/2012 at 23:03

Very organised Jools - looks a good series of races. Amazing to have snow where you are - I studied in Bristol for 3 years and I don't think we ever got any. Won't be long before I dust off my copy of P&D.

Get well soon Minni - sounds like you've had better weather in your neck of the woods. Elder Lorenzito's rugby match was called off due to a waterlogged pitch.

Poacher - no pictures I'm afraid. We lost 3 sets to 1, but at least that's one set better than our last outing. I'm more knackered from all the jumping around than I am after a 20 miler so might make tomorrow a rest day.

Think I might have to go and see Skyfall next weekend - I've heard loads of good reviews about it.

04/11/2012 at 23:51
Poacher - Well done on the Parkrun win - a win is a win so don't knock it. No sleep is the new sleeping pattern, apparently Margret Thatcher used to survive on about 4 hours sleep too, bet she never ran a Parkrun though
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.