Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

21,601 to 21,620 of 35,763 messages
05/11/2012 at 11:43

PMJ - I also prefer fields to tarmac and tarmac to running on the spot, but there have been evenings when the young kids are in bed and I need to be listening out for them. I am not sure on the treadmill dimensions. I know the top speed is 16kmh which is fine for me at the moment. I plan to sell it on in the springtime anyway as we will then be using our conservatory again, so as long as it can see me thorough those soft southern winter months, I'll be happy.

05/11/2012 at 11:52

Keir - Can you let us know how you get on with it please? I think I'll probably try to pick one up but it will be good to have some feedback on something before hand.

Completely understand the young kids thing. It has for me, in the past, put paid to more than a few planned sessions. It could be a good way round it especially if you have a tv in your conservatory to help relieve the boredom.

Welcome KarenG. No stas can escape PMJ  - fantastic performance at Comrades. Always think it's better to be strong and then concentrate on getting quicker rather than the other way round.

05/11/2012 at 12:11

Welcome Karen - yet another medal winner on here. This is clearly the place to be!

Poacher - OK, you asked for it. Here's me leaping like the proverbial salmon - I presume the ball was somewhere up there !

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/226395/gallery/volleyball_1_reduced_size_0.jpg?width=350

05/11/2012 at 12:12

Welcome KarenG. Especially welcome someone who can give us tips on endurance running   

05/11/2012 at 12:44

Is this a spot Lorenzo's ball compeition?

Super stalking PMJ!

Fair enough Karen, perhaps you actually need to consider a Feb marathon as well!

05/11/2012 at 13:00

JD3 - I used this plan to get from 1.34 to 1.28 a couple of years back - I am not saying it is the best but it worked for me. If I remember right it was quite a low intensity too. Half Plan

Re treadmill - I borrowed one for this years VLM campaign and it was useful for those 6- 8 mile runs but anything beyond that would have been purgatory. As the programme moved on I used it less and less and less..

05/11/2012 at 13:04

Karen - your times are similar to mine - 10k 42:57; HM 1:32:40; Marathon 3:20:40. Well done on Comrades - that's some achievement.

05/11/2012 at 13:10
Very impressive Lorenzo. Perhaps John West or Princes could sponsor your kit. The guy behind the net looks very tall, he should be playing basketball.

Welcome Karen, 3 in 4 months is nothing to worry about given your obvious endurance background. Glos may be a bit soon and Rome possibly not the fastest course so London may be your best bet although it's usually a bit hot by the end of April. As has been said, Berlin and Abingdon are fast autumn races.

As for big mileage weeks, everyone is different, but IMO 50-70mpw is probably quite unnecessary. There are several ladies posting here who are in the 3-3.20 mara bracket, interesting to see what mileage they do.

I have been wrestling with being competitive in ultras while trying to improve mara performance. It's extremely difficult to be your best at both and many talented ultra runners are rather average over 26.2. Deciding to focus on the mara time for a bit is undoubtedly the right decision. Good luck
05/11/2012 at 13:15

I rarely go over 60, usually about 55.

Poacher - I think you've done a track marathon before?  I quite fancy giving it a go sometime and I see there's one down in Cheshire that's just taken place this weekend.

05/11/2012 at 13:39

Hi Karen, well done on Comerades. You are probably similar to me in that longer distances suit you much better so 10k and half times don't always equate to marathon times. I did a 1.27 half a month before VLM (3.10) this year but did a 1.31 half a month before Amsterdam (3.02), ok the course before Amsterdam was hillier but not by much. I think a 3.15 will definately be achievable due to your endurance from the ultra's. Why don't you do Rome as a time on feet LSR before going for the PB at VLM? I did the 21 mile Redbull Steeplechase 2 weeks before Amsterdam, as it was such a hilly fell race it took 3hrs 36mins so served as a time on feet run for the marathon. I had the strongest finish of all my 7 marathons so far and feel this was due to the increased endurance base.

Talking of the Steeplechase a very disgruntled email has gone to The Peak Advertiser, their report includes pictures and stats about the mens race but not a single mention of any women running it!

I got a 10 mile PB yesterday in the Guy Fawkes 10 miler, my time of 66.19 was 2 and a half mins quicker than last year but there were some very quick girls running yesterday, it was only good enough for 5th this time, I got 2nd last year. I had a look on Power of 10 at the girls on there who beat me and all are 2.57-2.59 marathon runners. Bodes well for my sub 3 attempt next year

05/11/2012 at 13:42

Poacher - I rarely go above 55 miles per week, my average would probably be 45-50miles.

05/11/2012 at 13:42

Hi Minni and thank you!

Poacher, I agree that Glos will be too soon. I was hoping to give it a go in Rome if it isn't too hot. It's flat, isn't it? Re big milege weeks I find that going over 55 gives me problems with fatigue and injury. Even my biggest week prior to Comrades was only 60. My brother (12 times Comrades runner) always says that quality is better than quantity. I agree its difficult to be good at both ultra and marathon - leg speed will inevitably suffer when the long mileage kicks in. I am just getting my leg speed back now but I am also being put under pressure to enter Comrades again - ooh er

05/11/2012 at 13:56

Hi Sal f - your experience and times make me feel more confident. i will see how the training goes between now and Rome and make a decision as to whether to run it hard or treat it as a LSR before London. Either way, as long as I get close to 3.20 I will be happy. I believe La Rochelle is a good option for a marathon PB later in the year ...

05/11/2012 at 15:26

KarenG - welcome to the thread.

Your Comrades performance is incredible - you basically then ran the whole of Comrades only a little bit slower than your Marathon Pace.  Despite the distance, hills, head wind and temperature.  I had seen your result on the Marathon Talk results page and just assumed your marathon time would be around 3hours so I've very surprised to hear you say your PB is 3:24

Last year I ran Comrades in 8:48 off a 3:20 marathon, which is a pretty standard conversion.  This year I'd like to run faster so any summary of your Comrades training is well appreciated .

Well I don't know your running history, but I have been running for around 4 years after cycling so I'm still improving.  I found that all the slow miles of Comrades training and then following a 12week up to 55 mpw P&D program let me get a improvement of over 9 minutes in my marathon time.  Maybe you also find some good improvement after the Comrades training.

05/11/2012 at 15:35

Bike it - thank you for your kind words.

I have a basic summary of Comrades training required which was sent to me by my brother. I will message you. The intention was a Bill Rowan so to get the age group win and the time was a definite bonus!

05/11/2012 at 17:10
Amazing strength and stamina KarenG. Respect. Picked up a copy of P+D on way home so will enjoy a good read and a bit of planning later. A nice hilly 5.7 miles in the sunshine this afternoon in the new shoes. Feel like the base building with no pressure is starting to pay dividends. Must not get carried away or over motivated by all this talk of Comrades.
05/11/2012 at 17:42

Good run in the Guy Faekes 10 sal f, I was looking at the mens times and assumed it was not a PB course, so well done indeed.Still no results up for my 10 miler in Keswick

05/11/2012 at 19:05

Great run Sal. Congratulations on the PB

Karen Welcome. Amazing result at comrades.

I have only had one week where I have run over 60 miles and gone beyond 50 miles on only 12 occasions in the last 2 years. As I have stated my mara PB came off the P&D upto 55 miles schedule, but I did add a few miles to some of the longer runs to get the 5 x 20 mile training runs in, I also included some quicker stuff in the long runs. Despite taking 16 minutes off my mara time, my 10k PB is still from 3 years ago. I think it is obvious, but if you train for endurance you shorter times will be out and vice versa. 

Quite a bit of a ramble above.

05/11/2012 at 19:28
Minni I never did the track mara as my car broke down. I did a solo track HM as training though. I think there are very few track maras in the calendar plus they have small fields and one is expected to provide someone to count laps. Crewe? M Keynes? Not sure where else.

If you are THAT keen there's a 40 mile track race in Barry (you might bump into Gavin and Stacey)
05/11/2012 at 20:23

Well I wouldn't say I'm that keen Poacher!  But I've always thought that I've got the mindset to do one (ie pretty dumb ) Something to think about for the future.  It was the Crewe Deja Vu marathon that got me thinking.  I have a friend lives down that way and he was there supporting, maybe counting. 

Nice 10m time there Sal.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.