Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

21,621 to 21,640 of 35,723 messages
05/11/2012 at 21:12
Hi to the new folks. Looks like some quick chicks jumping in which is top

Nice work from a few on the racing front.

Still not run a step since Abo but feeling a bit twitchy now so back to it tomorrow

Sal- how did you find Amsterdam? I'm contemplating it next year
05/11/2012 at 21:30

Who gets more bored in the track mara- the runner or the counter? You cannot be serious Minni, this is the running equivalent of water torture surely?

Aparently there is a running fleece on it's way to me as my Derwentwater race prize. Knowing my luck probably 5 sizes too small. Anyway I was 18th from 400. I'm puzzled how times are down on last year when conditions seemed good.

Anyway focus now is the A race- Brampton to Carlisle 10 miler in 2 weeks. I'm just goind to concentrate on fast sessions this week with a club GP next week then cut back a few days before the race- unless anyone has better advice?    

05/11/2012 at 21:36

Fraser - I prefered Berlin to Amsterdam, both are very flat but Berlin was less congested and they wasn't the tramlines and surrounding cobbles in Berlin. I also found the support better in Berlin. That said it was obviously a very quick course in Amsterdam!

05/11/2012 at 21:42
OO - well done on the prize. . I don't think it would be that boring - just stick the headphones in and switch off.... I'm doing Brampton to Carlisle too but technically I'm still in recovery from the marathon so no fast stuff. . (this is why I like running marathons! )
05/11/2012 at 23:59

Welcome Karen to the thread. As you can see lots of support on here especially from others of a similar endurance background. My advice would be a weekly speed/track session. I found this to be a good benefit plus the longer runs with marathon paced miles. I do agree too that getting some of your shorter race times down will help the marathon time too.

Well done on your 10 mile PB time Sal. I'm seriously thinking of doing the Amsrterdam marathon next October. We were out there for a week as it was half term and really enjoyed it, so back next year - it would be rude not to run it next year!

Getting a bit more enthusiastic now just reading about everyones plans for Spring marathons. I'm looking forward to starting training again.

I'm actually from Crewe Minni and the Cumberland track where they hold the track marathon was my home track - so many memories, although strangely I used to do Long Jump & sprinting back then in my late teens. The thing that puts me off a track mara is that you'd be running half of the distance round a bend!

06/11/2012 at 07:55
I have never done a track marathon but we used to have an hour track race do my record is 42.5 laps and after that I didn't want to do any more. Our club had a guy who did 100 miles, 12 and 24 hour track races and they flip direction every so often.
06/11/2012 at 08:40

Half round the bend is exactly where I would be at the end of it KR. Running round a track 'ad infinitum' sounds as bad as a treadmill to me.  Cant be to good on the overloaded leg I imagine either.

Just looked at the PnD schedule and it might provea struggle to manage that through the winter up here.  

06/11/2012 at 08:51
Running in the outside lane makes the corners less tight. Also, since track distances don't lie it's a good way to develop pacing by feel. Also a good place to practice "bend curve mathematics", I bet PMJ is an expert on that.
06/11/2012 at 09:00
Poacher wrote (see)

Running machine?    Good luck with that 

Poacher wrote (see)
Minni I never did the track mara as my car broke down. I did a solo track HM as training though.

Surely not a lot of difference?

06/11/2012 at 09:03
Indoor v outdoor? I did 8m on a hotel treadie last week, even had Liverpool v Everton on the big screen, but it was still tedious
06/11/2012 at 09:32

Not sure about the track marathon either...5 laps at the TM was fine, but 100+ .  I do use the treadmill a lot though - no problems with that, although an hour max normally.  When we've had snow I have done one or two LSRs on the treadmill, I think 15 miles was my top mileage. I quite liked it though in a saddo kinda way

Karen - wow, amazing result from Comrades! I know nothing really about ultras, but it would seem logical that you should be on for a much quicker marathon if you are training specifically for it rather than the longer stuff - or else presumably you just get used to running slower?  Mind you, you are really packing them in! Your HM and mara PBs are pretty much spot on with mine (my HM is one second slower than yours!) and I'm hoping to beat 3.20 in VLM and start to get closer to 3.15.  Not sure I'll beat that barrier but I'd like to give it a go.

06/11/2012 at 10:00

Can't say the idea of a track marathon appeals to me but at least it's outside!

I had the pleasure of running part of last year's Country to Capital with Lee Chamberlain who held the world record for treadmill running (http://www.leechamberlain.co.uk/?p=26) - genuinely good guy, but clearly a nutcase.

Volleyball training last night, so easy 4.5 miles through the woods this morning. Frost on the ground, but resisted the temptation to wear leggings!!

06/11/2012 at 12:19

Headphones are banned on most tracks Minni.

06/11/2012 at 12:55

I seem to be using the treadmill a lot at the moment.  This was originally to aid recover from an ankle injury but now that this has recovered I'm finding it hard to break the habit on a dark wet evening ...

Of course, what we need is a treadmill carriage on the commuter trains in to London so you can get your daily fix on the commute to London.  Must have a word with my freind Richard ...

06/11/2012 at 12:59

I don't think they were banned at Crewe because I'm sure I saw a photo with someone wearing them.

06/11/2012 at 13:05

I didn't think you needed a ipod at track marathons as they played this on a continous loop over their sound system.

06/11/2012 at 14:22

SBD - that's a habit I got into in previous years. Becomes quite hard to break when the weather turns like this. Good idea about train treadmills - ask him to put 3D TV's up as well and you'll feel like your in a race!

Started reading P&D last night. Was surprised at the level of detail in the early chapters. Nothing like anything else I've picked up. Looks like I'm going to be another convert...

06/11/2012 at 14:32

Kier - I cant access that link from my work computer but I'm guessing its something like, 'Let's go round again...'?

DS2 wrote (see)

Started reading P&D last night. Was surprised at the level of detail in the early chapters. Nothing like anything else I've picked up. Looks like I'm going to be another convert...

Sure you didn't pick up your OH's 50 Shades of Grey....

06/11/2012 at 15:05

I'll have to take your word for the content of 50 Shades Minni......

I once did 36k on a treadmill at the gym when it was snowing outside. I thought it was good mental preparation. Took me 3 hours. The first couple were bearable but it got progressively more difficult. Never ever again. Have similar thoughts about a track marathon. We have a marathon down our way on the local cyclopark beginning of June and I was thinking of running that but 17 laps!!!! Apparently they give you a band to take off as you pass go - seems a good way of keeping track.

06/11/2012 at 15:44

My OH bought me 50 shades a while back. Biggest pile of c**p I've ever read.

Minni - Close about the track...it's Dead or Alive (You spin me round)

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.