Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

21,741 to 21,760 of 38,974 messages
TR
11/11/2012 at 23:15

Blisters - dont know who Andy Holgate is, I only know who Deek and Jonesy are. I have Going long though. Looks like Gloucester Mara then, nice one, I'll be able to vote for you as marathoner of the year again soon then.

12/11/2012 at 00:35

I'm doing the Turkey Trot too Speedy as a Clubmate who is injured offered up the place. I've heard it is a bit hilly/undualting so I've been doing some good hilly routes in preparation. Did a 14 mile "find as many hills and run them" route tonight.

Good luck with the op Birch!

12/11/2012 at 06:39

Nice running yesterday DM, Jools.
Speedy - great result on tired legs in the XC.
PMJ - sorry to hear the recovery is taking longer than you hoped. Be patient.
LB70 - must be good to have your son join you in the XC.
Birch - great to get the date for your op; but difficult decision to make now the knee feels ok.
Blisters - nice LSR; the endurance will return.
Nice and easy 6 miler for me this morning.

12/11/2012 at 08:39
Hi Blisters- having recently completed Dartmoor vale marathon, I had read one of your reviews/reports with interest in the run up! Are you tempted to have another crack at that one sometime? Fairly challenging?
JD3
12/11/2012 at 08:54

hello all,

hope alls well- seems like some good training going on, glad Gul is getting the millage back (at the cost of a toe nail!) and blisters getting in a november 23miler! Lots of XC going on too- is XC a club only game?

Not much to report here- another slow 50miles this week, and a bit of cycling.

Tried one mile at MP+15s mid week - It came out averaging the same BPM that I averaged for the last mile of the marathon! Not sure what to think of that. Hoping to start thinking about spring HMs this week, but will play it by ear if thats where I'm at now.

Thank you all for your thoughts previously on HM training- I've decided to adopt a mrathon training aproach and race a half rather than racing long. Will see how it goes

JD3
12/11/2012 at 10:25

Welcome (back)?  Blisters - was the 23 a crazed "out of the blue" expedition, or have you been building back towards longer distance? Either way, more inspiration for me to return from the puny foothills of where I am - 7 mls Sat in 74 mins ( did stop a couple of times, tho'), 6.6 y'day in just over the hour  . . . . .
LB70 - "you'll have to persuade him to step up to the marathon " - tks,LB70, but he's much too sensible  . . . .

12/11/2012 at 10:48
DM- how are you getting on with the head torch as I fancy one myself.

Gul- hope the toe isn't throbbing too much and well done on the breakthrough mileage.

16 miles for me yesterday morning. Great time to be running along the Kennet canal on a frosty and sunny morning. That is the longest I've run since VLM but I was doing that length of LR this time last year off of 40 miles a week, now I'm doing 50+ miles a week it felt pretty comfortable.
12/11/2012 at 11:14

Morning all,

Speedy - nice XC result . And I'm with you on the Town Moor course - Minni is deluded

The Stowmarket 7 was pretty good yesterday - perfect weather and a nice run out over a slightly odd distance. I was going to treat it like a 10k and just hang on, but then remembered I haven't run a 10k in about 3 years so didn't really remember how to do one! I wasn't sure how well I'd recovered from the Town Moor but just decided I was going to target sub 49, try not to overcook it at the start as mile 1 is net downhill, and save a bit for the second half which is largely uphill.  Splits were 6.39, 6.56, 6.19 (measured short), 7.23 (measured long), 7.13 (uphill), 6.45, 6.52 - finish time 48.07 and 3rd lady. Dinky little cup (gotta luv the bling) and £10 for my day's work. Nice

12/11/2012 at 12:16

Looks like I missed out on a busy w/end- away in London for my anniversary. Sunday LSD consisted of an 8 mile run around the docklands- changed a lot since my school days.. 

12/11/2012 at 12:33
Moof- it's a Silva trail runner plus. The battery pack is worn on a Seperate belt around the waist. When it arrived I was skeptical about the separate battery belt as the cable clips on the head band at the back and runs down your back under shirt or jacket.

Looked fidly and "faffy" to me on first inspection. However, once you get it fitted properly and cable management sorted I have to say its a quality piece of kit. Battery pack is so light you don't feel it's there and head band is comfy especially over a beanie. I've used it 4 times now and I am more conscious of wearing the HR strap now than the head torch! Beam has 3 levels and vertically adjustable. Top level of beam is extremely bright and will dazzle people coming towards you. Very pleased for 46 pounds. They have a super duper model out now which is 180 pounds. No thank you.
Edited: 12/11/2012 at 12:34
12/11/2012 at 12:38

Top work Freemers. Did you feel totally recovered from the marathon?

12/11/2012 at 12:54

Minni - I think so, although as it was a short distance it's hard to say if my legs would have started to hurt with anything longer.  I guess the HM in 2 weeks will tell me everything! You have a 10 miler next weekend don't you? What's your strategy for that?

12/11/2012 at 13:03

I'm curious how long it lasts for DM. £180 for a super duper model with a strap-on waist belt could be a bargin if it goes all night long. 

12/11/2012 at 13:11
It was great thanks Gul - although his race started just after mine, I still got to see him due to the way the course looped. Also as he'd finished before I'd finished the first of three laps, I got his shouts of encouragement at the end of each lap!

On the downside I had two pairs of spikes to clean yesterday!
TR
12/11/2012 at 13:22

Keir - alpkit gamma. Sub3 thread favourite. LT 1/10th of £180 too.

12/11/2012 at 13:23
DM- I have to do a few miles urban before the rural so as long as it last about an hour out in the sticks then it will be okay.
It's my son's 7th birthday next week, I know what to get him now.
12/11/2012 at 13:24
Keir wrote (see)

I'm curious how long it lasts for DM. £180 for a super duper model with a strap-on waist belt could be a bargin if it goes all night long. 

- when put it like that Kier, yes cheap at half the price!  Gioes for 24 hours aswell......................................

12/11/2012 at 13:27
moof wrote (see)
DM- I have to do a few miles urban before the rural so as long as it last about an hour out in the sticks then it will be okay.
It's my son's 7th birthday next week, I know what to get him now.

Moof - I am sure he be thrilled with that!!

4 batterys last 48 hours on low beam according to blab.

12/11/2012 at 13:30
TR wrote (see)

Keir - alpkit gamma. Sub3 thread favourite. LT 1/10th of £180 too.

TR- have a look at Kiers post again and keep an open mind.......................................

12/11/2012 at 13:45

Sorry TR  

It's the alpkit which I actually already have and I've not yet reached the stage of life where I am looking to trade in for a 'better looking model'.

BTW - Andy Holgate is a 'pirate' who is on these forums occassionally. He wrote this.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.