Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

21,781 to 21,800 of 37,354 messages
13/11/2012 at 15:34
DS- always been fairly sporty and active and was a half decent runner at school boy level. Really wish I'd kept it up to see what I could have done in my prime. The 10k age grade at moment is near 80% so who knows.

Sounds like you were very competitive in your heyday.

I think the general consensus is that running fitness transfers fairly well to cycling but not necessary the other way round, so you'll be like a duck to water. Day after day endurance events sound like fun but become gruelling after a few days especially if cold and wet. Did the two moors way (120 miles across Dartmoor and Exmoor) a few years back in 4 days with a 20kg pack and that was bloody hard. Walking 30 miles a day doesn't sound much but hard graft especially carrying a tent and all your gear. Great crack though!
13/11/2012 at 15:42

DM - Yeah - I think the aerobic strengths that come with being an endurance athlete do transfer well to cycling. I find that I'm pretty strong if not terribly fast. My nephew who lives in Devon has done loads of that walking lark. Looks hard but always good fun doing challenging things with like minded people.

Was reasonably competitive but hockey was my real sporting love so it got in the way of my running a bit. Used to guide the worlds best middle distance runner in the early 90's so that's how I got into the running. Had one 6 month period at proper training and did ok. Half in 75:30, 20 Miles in 2:01 and marathon in 2:44 but then went back to hockey. Have been a has-been ever since. Now I'm getting near 50 and regretting it so told myself I have one last chance to be deservedly on this thread!!! We'll see.

13/11/2012 at 15:55
DS- you do realise you have now set up a massive guessing game! This thread will be red hot later!
13/11/2012 at 16:01

DM - Didn't mean to! He's still a hero to me. I think he won 25 Gold medals at major champs. Was, in many respects, our first great paralympian. He represents NZ now in cycling events but I speak to him every so often. He's still inspirational.

Blisters    pirate
14/11/2012 at 00:03

DS-2, regards Devon, yeah as Dylan says, some people moan about any slight incline. Whether it is worth a 10 minute handicap from London is a separate matter for discourse. I think that it sets the sheep apart from the goats. This one truly is not about a PB, or any relationship to one. I was on just over 3hr shape, targeted 3:15 and blew out at 3:30. With hills, once your endurance has gone, it stays gone. The crowd of sheep (gazelles?) that like to follow a fast pacemaker suffered, whereas the goats did OK. If it’s of interest, I did chat with one sub 3 forumite after the race, and asked what time he’d done. Coyly he said 2:58. “Fack me”, I said, “And what time did the winner do?” 2:58 he answered. Yeah, well done OO. Devon Champ.

On other matters, I give serious respect to anyone Tergatting sub 3 at age 50. I did mine at age 48 and don’t know of anybody at all who broke 2:59:59 for the first time at the senior age. There is some hard graft on that path. Let the challenge be laid. I shall keep watch. The little bike ride diversion sounds like a bucket list job as well. Just make sure you’ve got a comfy saddle. 10+ consecutive 100 milers is a bloody long way. I presume that you’ll be passing through Gloucester on the A38? I managed to catch up with another Forumite and accompanied him from Bristol to Glos (Longford Premier Inn) and next day to Worcester. Send me a Personal Message via the forum when you’ve got the itinerary.

Dylan- you’re quite fit, with some speed intervals and a fast flat course you should get a fast gong to match your ability.

DS2. OK From the latest posts, you’re not too slobby yourself.

14/11/2012 at 06:43

Blisters I ran sub 3 last year at VLM, for the first time aged 49. Hope to repeat next year age 50. But on the evidence of last nights club GP I have some way to go. Absolute shocker, Outside 6 min. pace for the 3.6 mile race. Things don't bode well for the this weekends Brampton to Carlisle 10 miler- where I go head to head with Minni

14/11/2012 at 07:19

Be afraid OO!

14/11/2012 at 08:20
DS2 wrote (see)

Had one 6 month period at proper training and did ok. Half in 75:30, 20 Miles in 2:01 and marathon in 2:44 but then went back to hockey. Have been a has-been ever since. Now I'm getting near 50 and regretting it so told myself I have one last chance to be deservedly on this thread!!! We'll see.

That is a hell of a 6 month period and the marathon time probably reflects that a bit: you need a few to get into the swing of it. I had similar half and 20 milers (my 20 was just inside 2 hours) as a senior but my marathon never happened and crash and burns etc left me at 2:5x. Has-been is a strong term especially at the longer distances where the tail off happens much mater in life. It is pretty much true that you won't win an open race when 50 is approaching (not unheard of but unlikely) but you can still be competitive in the open and if you look at WAVA grading you can compare yourself over the years. I am now knocking off the odd WAVA 80% + and as a youngster I ws just under so I think I am racing better now than I was then.

Off running for a few weeks to try and let the foot recover so taken up cycling on my old mountain bike (solid steel frame and concrete tyres, built for effort and not speed) and trying to find new routes as my running routes are not cycle friendly  (and neither are London's roads).

Edited: 14/11/2012 at 08:20
14/11/2012 at 09:21

Enjoy the lycra PMJ! A difficult but wise choice.

Are you based in Gloucester itself Blisters? I grew up just 4 miles away and was a member of Glos City CC for many years (my dad is still active in the club).

14/11/2012 at 11:01

Interesting stuff, PMJ - at 58 I'm definitely a has-been - times in my "heyday" similar to DS2 - half 75:58, 20m 2:04, mara 2:46;  so soft marathon.  WAVA for the mara (age 36) 76.4, last mara 3:20 (age 57) 73.6 (albeit harder course/conditions than PB ). Of course WAVA grading, whilst being a handy indicator, doesn't take into account the years of battering your legs have taken -  5 years running prior to PB, 26 before latest.  Last sub-3 was age 47 (2:57 = 76.6 WAVA), so a good one, but downhill since . . . . . . btw, OO, your recent form indicates sub-3 at 50 is on - be great if you make it . . .

14/11/2012 at 11:03

Meant to add- good luck with the journey back to running, PMJ - definitely can empathise with the non-running frustration . . . . .

14/11/2012 at 11:31

Sometimes enforced rest and time is the only viable option. Hope it recovers soon PMJ.

What success rate have they quoted you on the op Birch?

14/11/2012 at 11:50

Pretty good, tks, Menna - had same on other knee 4 yrs ago and have raced 2 maras and other stuff since (XC also) with no probs. However, I now have the quandary of "do I have the op"?  Last 3 weeks I have run 3 times per week, 45 miles in total ( not a lot, admittedly) but a longest of 9, with NO pain at all, or reaction. Intuitively, it feels healed, but may not be, in terms of standing up to what I still wish to do. Think I'll e-mail consultant . . . . . .
You have any plans for 2013? 

14/11/2012 at 12:21

Blisters/PMJ/Birch - Really enjoyed reading your posts. I always felt the mara time was soft compared to my other times and the point about only having a proper run at it for 6  months is probably the most relevant. With reference to Blisters post, I recognise that the tergats are extremely stretching. I've always done that - shoot for the stars and all that......I have had to give myself a plan and the forthcoming milestone has given me a new lease of life, not least because of what I've read on here about others around my age. I do realise these tergats may not be achievable but they are a long way off to give up on now. I did think about aiming for 3;20 next spring and 3;10 in 2014 and if I need to revise to those I will do but for now I'm going to continue to take inspiration from this thread and see what happens.

PMJ - that sounds wise. I started cycling only a few years ago when I had a PF injury and found pounding the pavements wasn't helping. I'll never be a Keir, but I really enjoy it - but not as much as running. I'm sure you'll enjoy it but cycling is a lot more technical than I first realised. have had a few scrapes - so be careful.

I saw an old mate from Hockey last night who in 2011 ran VLM in a negative split 3:32 with not a lot of training other than hockey and some long runs. This year he decided to take it quite seriously and hoped to break 3:10 but blew up and finished in 3:23. This guy is and looks fit and 33 years old. It really brought it home to me when I looked at him and thought about what I'm aiming to do. The only thing against him was he was combining training for a marathon and playing National League hockey which I couldn't do back in the 90's. It does make you realise how much you have to respect the distance though!

14/11/2012 at 16:26

Just had a missed call on my mobile - or rather I ignored it assuming it to be sales. Then my wife texted to say 'Someone from Runners World is trying to get hold of you. What the hell have you put yourself forward for now?!!!'

Anyhow seems I'm shortlisted for the Asics 26.2. Does anyone have any experience of this. I think I'm off to bootcamp - would that be right?

Never expected to have to explain myself to the Mrs!!! Doh!!!

14/11/2012 at 17:12

Blisters - now you do!!!

You said that you don't know anybody who broke 3 hrs for the first time at age 50+

Started running at 49 did my first marathon at 50 (London), did my first sub 3 at the age of 54 (02:58:xx). Sub 3 and pb again this year (02:57:xx) at the age of 56.

I have to admit to lurking on these forums but know absolutely nothing of the technical aspects. Have never read a book and literally do not understand most of the technical terms. VO2 MAX? anaerobic/aerobic? DOMS? Hadds? P&D? Don't stretch and have never measured my heart rate - could be scary at my age!

All I do know is that it involved an awful lot of running and it is amazing how the body can improve even at my creaky old age!

14/11/2012 at 17:20

DS 2 - Brilliant news and good luck! I planned to do it this year but managed to forget to enter! Knight Rider can fill you in as he got onto the programme last year.

Birch - Back at VLM next year with an undefined target - will be either sub 3.10 or something a  little bit more ambitious. Have a half early feb to help me decide - if I get sub 83 I will consider a sub 3 depending upon how the training goes. The long lay off has set me back but i just need to figure out what is realistic over the enxt couple of months and then to opt for the 55 or 77 P + D. I will be back upto 30 miles hopefully by the end of next week. My shoulder success rae was 85% - but it looks like I might  one of the 15 .. It is still not back to being as good/bad as it was pre op yet.

14/11/2012 at 17:21

X Post One Gear - pretty inspiring stats there! I am creaking and am only 43!

14/11/2012 at 18:00

Indeed One Gear- your one gear seems to be top gear

14/11/2012 at 18:17

DS2 - well done!  Are you allow to broadcast it......?

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.