Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

21,961 to 21,980 of 38,982 messages
21/11/2012 at 10:32

Jam and peanut butter on toast is rather quite nice and much nicer than on a sarnie me thinks, but you need two.

Jools - hope the neck gets sorted.

No 6 am run for me this am as the missus has developed labyrinthitis which means she is out of the game and the kids duties are inherited by me. I did manange a pleaseant 6 miles last night at ave of 8.15 with a heartbeat ave of 131. Comparing the stats with sundays post beer run I was over 20s a mile faster with an average hb of over 10 less which means that through empirical analysis I can conclude that a pint of Timothy Taylor costs you 5s per mile over a 12 mile run for the same effort, and 8 pints costs you 40s.

21/11/2012 at 10:39

Moof - That made me chuckle - but not the part about 3 needles in your big toe. That made me whince!!!

Mennania - no TT after a few TT's then! I think you need to test your theories a little more. Is the detioration linear or exponential. I think you need to experiment having had one pint leading all the way up to 8 pints over the coming weeks. In the name of science of course!

21/11/2012 at 10:48

Thanks for that scrote refernce Dr Moof. Glad I've already had my breakfast.

Can't say I fancy the idea of a jam and peanut butter combo, but jam and Philadelphia is rather nice.

Out of the house at 5.xx this monring (well 5.50!) for a quick 6 and a little bit miles - same run as yesterday, but in reverse. Also happens to be one of the stretches of the 3 Mole Hills run on Sunday, so good prep. Raining to start with so a good baptism for my new running jacket.

Talking of rain, anyone else fancy a run through the mud and waist high water at the Brutal 10 on 8 Dec?

Thanks for all the birthday wishes BTW - I'm now officially in the 45-54 demographic group!!!

21/11/2012 at 10:54

What is this "Running on Air" thing all about.I have a special system where unused energy is stored in the legs and liver, and I'm forced to use thay. I think Sweatshop sell them if you are looking for a Christmas Present.

First run into double figures since mid September (apart from the double marathon week). I've been running 2 mile loops from my door, quiting when my injuries start to play up. Only managed a max of 5 to 6 miles in the last month pain free . Today was 11 comfortable miles. Hopefully this signals the end of the most boring period of running to date and I can get out to some better scenery.

This injection talk is making me uncomfortable

21/11/2012 at 11:05

Also-ran - that sounds like very good news. Well done on sticking at it. Must be good for mental strength though!

Work is so boring today. No clients in so paperwork, paperwork and more paperwork. I feel like sticking those needles in my eyes! Should have gone for a run this morning.... at least I would have accomplished something!

21/11/2012 at 11:18

I'm not a morning person, full stop. I value my sleep and try to get 8 hrs a night, usually managing 7-8. Anything less and I just feel carp all day. I don't know how all you people get up so early: Earliest I have ever gone out to run is about 8am, but when I do go out early I usually just have a glass of water - that's good for up to 12 miles anyway.

Now that I'm building up my long runs, I'm doing them in the evenings. Planning a personal-longest 16 miles tonight, fuelled with gatorade.

21/11/2012 at 11:28

The advantage of getting up at 5.30am means that 6.40am the next morning feels like a lie-in! Like you I will be running my LSR tonight, before the club's core stretching session LTR.

TR
21/11/2012 at 12:15

Fit your training in when it best suits you and your family. Endurance sports are selfish and your family dont ask you to do them. I train early or I dont get to train, as I'm not prepared to give up other time for training. I have too much else going on that comes before my own sports especially in the cricket season.

I trained for my first VLM in the evenings but in my experience most folks that want to keep at this for a while switch to early mornings. If you need more sleep then you just go to bed a bit earlier.

21/11/2012 at 12:23

TR - keeping those at home happy is paramount in my opinion. Luckily, having three daughters (if that could ever be lucky??) I have fairly quiet summers and whenever lurking on this or the Sub 3 thread I was always amazed at how you fit in so much. Then the winter arrives and I have a similar life which forces my running to the early mornings whilst driving my eldest to various hockey matches. Cricket is so time consuming though so I take my hat off to you!

I love reading how some of our kids are doing in whatever sport they have chosen. My early cricket days were amongst the best of my life and I often think back to those times when I read your updates.

21/11/2012 at 12:42

3 daughters here too DS2, but not very sporty. My house is empty now 2 are away at Uni and the 3rd became a hermit always studying.

21/11/2012 at 13:17

It's all about finding the right balance with the home life. Marathon training does take up a lot of time, so I usually go out when the kids are in bed or early doors on a Sunday AM. I can only manage the LSR though early!

21/11/2012 at 13:45

OO - my other daughters aren't all that sporty. They are twins but have some learning difficulties related to being autistic so following instructions is quite difficult for them and, although, the elder one likes sport she is dyspraxic so lacks co-ordination. She tried hockey but it's not easy for her, but they are both pretty good swimmers so they stay fit & healthy, and above all happy!

Knight rider - how old are your children?

21/11/2012 at 14:01

inversely exponential deterioration DS2. ie starts off really crap and ended up better. I agree it needs more research on my part and intend to selflessly throw myself headlong into scientific analysis this Saturday watching Wales being overwhelmingly overrun by some massive antipodeans.

2 girls for me with hockey, netball, sleepovers and parties being the main focus of their lives.

I have my rescheduled MLR tonight and may try a little 4 or 5 miler tomorrow am all things permitting.

21/11/2012 at 14:14

Mennania - haha. Timothy Taylors - one of my favourites. Do you live in that part of the country? Used to drink a fair bit of it when I worked in Skipton. Have three sisters as well as three daughters, hence the massive amount of time I spend doing or watching sport!

Have just had the go ahead to share the fact that I am in at bootcamp for the Asics target 26.2. Apparently, they are even happy for us to tweet it this year! Should be a great day out whatever the outcome and really looking forward to the coaching from what I've heard from previous participants. (eg. Knight rider).

21/11/2012 at 15:04

DS2 - great news. Fame and fortune for another forumite!

2 active lads (excluding me) in our household. Elder one (nearly 16) plays and refs rugby as well as playing in a couple of brass bands and (in theory at least) studying for his GCSEs; younger one (just turned 12) does cross country (min 2 club sessions a week training), badminton (school and club), rugby (school), volleyball (club) and plays the guitar and ukulele(!).

Mrs L runs, teaches and sings in a choir (not all at the same time!)

I run, cycle (when the weather's decent), play volleyball (and squash and badminton occasionally), help manage my son's rugby team and am a governor at the primary school my lads went to. No surprises that the only time I can get out for a run is before the rest of the family are up.

21/11/2012 at 15:08

Lorenzo - Another active family - it's the only way! Understand the very early starts now!

Have tweeted my delight at being shortlisted. My first ever tweet! My eldest will be so proud of me - or maybe embarassed???

21/11/2012 at 15:57

Great DS2   do us proud

21/11/2012 at 16:37

I've not yet got into Twitter, but I quite enjoy the occasional foray on Facebook, if only to see some very intriguing picture of fellow forumites! 

21/11/2012 at 16:38

Oh no, the rogue picture of me and Minni has made a reappearance!!!

21/11/2012 at 16:41

Nice legs Minni! 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.