Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

22,221 to 22,240 of 35,770 messages
29/11/2012 at 09:56

I'm still in shorts. If it's really cold I'll add a long sleeve top and maybe gloves, but never tights/leggings/whatever.

29/11/2012 at 11:07

DS2 - in case I don't get another chance GOOD LUCK for tomorrow!  Really looking forward to hearing all about it and I really hope you get through to the next stage.   You'll definitely get my vote.

If however you do not get through then don't fret.  There's more than enough knowledge and experiece on here to get you to where you want to be. 

29/11/2012 at 11:09

LTR - I don't mind tights in the really cold weather. But it's a great feeling come March time to get back out of them and feel free again. Seems to add a spring to the step. Could be just that the tights have made me really slow, of course!

Off to Asics Target 26.2 bootcamp tonight. Not sure what I'll need to wear? Probably layers but when we do the track stuff I won't want to be in much. Knight rider?

29/11/2012 at 11:30

Good luck DS2. You will want to stand out in the minds of the coaches / judges to be picked. How about running the track stuff in a chicken costume?

29/11/2012 at 12:28

Keir - do you have one you could lend me - is it thermal?

Minni - thanks for the good wishes. I am going firstly to enjoy it rather than to get stressed. If I get through, fantastic, but my A goal was initially the Halstead marathon 5 weeks later than Paris and I have assumed nothing will change. be delighted if I do get the chance but more important to stay part of the running community in general.

I will do my best 'not to be sh!te'!

29/11/2012 at 12:49

Good luck to all of the guinea pigs....remember to smile for the cameras!

29/11/2012 at 13:21

Thanks MS - I'll take with me my 'Simon Cowell' dentures!

29/11/2012 at 13:45

Yes, good luck DS2. Looking forward to your report on the day

I confess I wore tights at the Norwich HM on Sunday. Wasn't intending to, but just chickened out of taking them off at the last minute! I also wear gloves more than many people as I get very cold hands - slightly poor circulation.  Plus I like a base later and a hat.  OK, I'm a wimp and not too proud to admit it 

29/11/2012 at 14:41

Good luck, DS2.

Good news this end: second attempt at a test-run and the neck seems pretty ok.  Phew.  Cross-country on Saturday is back on and it'll be a proper mud-bath!

29/11/2012 at 14:54
Enjoy Jools!

Good luck DS2. Looking forward to your report back
29/11/2012 at 15:25

Thanks all. That sounds like (he says tentatively) good news Jools.

29/11/2012 at 15:52

Good luck DS2

Good news Jools

29/11/2012 at 16:24

Bad news from the physio - at least another 3 weeks out, so I think that comfortably puts the lid on any attempt at VLM. I'm wondering about an autumn marathon (Abingdon or maybe the new Bournemouth race), but I'm not very good at running distance in the summer, so maybe I'll just be focussing on shorter distances in 2014.

29/11/2012 at 17:45

Good luck DS2, excellent news Jools, sorry to hear you are still struggling BOTF.

I am still in shorts, but with gloves. It would have to be totally Baltic for me to consider leggings/tights-although I do posess them, I have never worn them.

10 miles this morning at 8mm at 7am. - Thats my 4th pre work run in two weeks. I am starting to become a convertee.

29/11/2012 at 18:23

Mennania - thanks! Yes another pre-work convert. Excellent. I rarely wear my leggings either but have got a bit wimpier in recent years (not as wimpy as Freemers - obviously). Usually, when I do wear them I regret it about 2 miles in.

BOTF - that's bad news. Sorry to hear that. It's never easy being on these forums when you are injured and others are planning their spring marafun attempts. I know from bitter experience . However, I wish I'd stayed involved more in the past because it's good for the motivation. Especially since nearly everyone on here would have suffered a major injury at some time. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

29/11/2012 at 19:05

BOTF Bad news. 3 weeks off, is it not possible to build up and then go for a 12 week schedule?

After the "golf ball" last night and ice and drugs and compression. I woke a couple of times with pain, so I wore my compression sock all morning. Took it off this afternoon and pain free.

I decided to risk a run, but I would stop if any pain whatsoever. No pain and once warmed up all very nice. 8 miles at 7:15 pace with last 3 at 6:37 pace. Slight niggle now, but I expected that. Ice and drugs and compression, plus rest day tomorrow. 

Blisters    pirate
29/11/2012 at 20:20

Good luck DS2, excellent news Jools, I'm glad to hear that the mud of Brizzle is going to get a serious churning. Scooby, what are you trying to do? Kill or cure? Mennania, we haven't really communicated, but 10 miles before work sounds like you are either a part timer or a flipping early riser! I know that you are struggling BOTF, but it always seems to be worse when you're in the midst of an injury/recovery. I'd recommend that you start to think about all those positives of summer running. Like daylight, warmth, suntan opportunity, avoiding hypothermia, not getting covered in sht, and being able to train when on holiday. If you're out there in the heat of a foreign morning means that you get the respect of the locals and visitors. Forget pace, it's simply about miles and hills. I had one summer training daily up and down some gurt big feckoff hill in Jamaica that turned out to be the stomping ground of one U Bolt. Never saw him though. I did get a good result in the autumn though.

Er, yeah, I think that I'm on for a rest day today. 20th January is not being taken seriously as a 3:15 target. 3:28 without stopping would be fine. Negative split would be good. I do need to dig out a proper long run shortly though.

29/11/2012 at 22:18

It is officially winter. I decided this when I went out for a run in gloves and my hands were still so cold that my fingers were throbbing and I struggled to retrieve my key from my pocket and open the door. The long tights have been worn three times now, and I wasn't too warm on any of those occasions. 

29/11/2012 at 23:38

Good luck tomorrow DS2. As far as gear is concerned, just go prepared for all weather! Could be cooler i the morning than after lunch?

30/11/2012 at 08:44
Scooby Dudek wrote (see)

BOTF bad news. 3 weeks off, is it not possible to build up and then go for a 12 week schedule?

I've barely run since May and have done no other exercise either, so even assuming I'm given the all-clear in 3 weeks time, I just don't think there'll be enough time for me to get back to at least GFA pace. If I can't do that then I'd rather defer the place to 2014.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.