Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

22,341 to 22,360 of 38,685 messages
05/12/2012 at 21:40

Another vote for DS2, also for a female with a similar marathon PB to mine who wants Sub 3, and the bloke who wants to run sub 2.20 for his first marathon and qualify for the commonwealth games. 

Welcome back Badbark, but did you *have* to remind us about the pants?

05/12/2012 at 22:15

Slokey  - not remember, but they did a gait test in neutral shoes and got told they no longer needed them. I'll see if I can message a couple of them and see if they can put more flesh on the bones. They seemed quite surprised and I got the impression they would stick as they were!!! Can't blame them - if it aint broke.....

Thanks Speedy - much appreciated! He was seriously fast and will be interesting to see if he can convert that speed!

05/12/2012 at 23:29
DS2 you have my vote too, best of luck.

Badbark. Welcome back.

Bit nippy on my MLR today, will have to dig out my leggings soon.
XC for me on Saturday quite looking forward to the race, would have liked to be in a bit better shape but at least it will give me a kick start into VLM campaign.
05/12/2012 at 23:31
...... and another vote for DS2. You should have stood in the Police Commissioner elections given your ability to get the voters out in force.
06/12/2012 at 07:49

I have my own elections to worry about. Staff here vote on the paydeal today.

Anyway another run missed. Hopefully all this rest will help my dodgy hip.

06/12/2012 at 08:17

OO - hope they vote the right way!!

Lorenzo - thanks - much appreciated. Wouldn't be hard to have won one of those votes. I think if you got your deposit returned you probably won!

Amount of time I've spent on the forums this week if I didn't work for myself I'd sack myself!

06/12/2012 at 08:34

Squash yesterday evening so just a 3 mile recovery run this morning. It was minus 3 degress when I got in the car this morning. but I'm proud to say that I was still out in shorts at 5.30am!!

Good to hear from you again Badbark

06/12/2012 at 08:58

Wow - 5.30 in these conditions. Respect! Shorts as well

06/12/2012 at 09:11

Minni - hope the knee is OK. I would "pause" my watch (i.e. stop and start - nothing as fancy as a Garmin) when delayed by traffic, but not for a fall. Or maybe I'm just not as quick thinking as you!
Freemers - I seem to remember it was a bit on the breezy side here too on that day. Sounds like you did well in those conditions.
DS2 - congratulations - I'll be voting for you shortly. You can't beat the first run of the winter in a decent bit of snow, can you? Sorry to hear about your uncle.
Poacher - sorry to disappoint, but the yellow leggings are still in one piece!
Birch - good progress. Really pleased for you.
Ant - watching your video is now on my to do list Hope the pain was worth it and the fizz is spot on.
Lorenzo - nice early run in the mud.
Badbark - good to hear from you again - good luck with the sub 3 attempt.
AR - Good running.
4:45 am in shorts this morning for a very slow 12 miler.

06/12/2012 at 09:32

Gul - thanks for the condolences. It was time for him to go to a better place to be honest. He was 83 next month and had cancer and a weak heart. He told my aunt he was ready to go and then passed away on the anniversary of his own mothers death. my aunt and her daughter took great comfort and the service was lovely.

How are things with you following your dad's passing?

I must find time to look at the consistently consistent thing. All this campaigning is taking its toll.

06/12/2012 at 11:05

Had a rough 10 miles last night at 5ish down lanes in the ice with lunatics everywhere trying to get home. I was lit up like a christmas tree but for some reason they couldnt see me. Am looking for safer routes to run but will now involve the use of the car which is not ideal. Anyway, finished the last two in sub 7.00mm so not a complete waste of time

Re - Orthotics - I has a problem with my foot pre VLM and was lucky enough to see a renowned foot/ankle sports consultant and when I mentioned overpronation/orthotics to him he flipped - said in 99% of cases it was a con and in all his years he had only sent someone for inserts two or three times. I guess if you feel better running with them than without they are doing something good for you.

4.45 am and 5.30 am running Gul and Keir? Shivering and yawning just at the thought!

06/12/2012 at 11:13

I see the spy-cam you have installed in my house is still working Menna! 

I have voted. I am not publicising who I voted for, but it was for someone who regularly posts on this thread. 

Great target Badbark. Perhaps for Speedy you should 'repost' the picture! I'll check out that marathon plan you are following later. Never heard of it before. I understand the logic of the harder LSRs, but would be concerned that they might take too long to recover from, thereby affecting your weekly sessions.

06/12/2012 at 11:25

Mennania - not kidding the ice seems to bring out the worst on drivers everywhere! On that subject did anyone bother watching last nights BBC 1 documentary 'War on Britains Roads'. Bike is locked on the TT and not coming out until I have successfully negotiated my spring marathon!

Some of the cyclists behaviour gives us a bad name as well! Not bloody helpful.

Keir - I'm all for supporting the regular forumite

06/12/2012 at 12:10

Hi all I met DS2 recently and he has been a really great help. He has directed me here. I feel a bit out of my depth as I'm nowhere near a 3:15 and humbly bow at your collective feet 

I had a specific question about leg pain during the end part of LSRs and DS2 said this would be a good place to get some answers.

After about 15 miles I get really sore legs. It's not an injury as it stops pretty much after I finish. It's very much like DOMS but without the delay  Is this something to be expected - a known phenomenon? Does it go away in time?

Many thanks in advance!

06/12/2012 at 12:15
Gul /Lorenzo. Top early morning running especially in shorts, I went out at 08.30 and it was freezing then! Knee's are just coming back to life...

Mennania good 10miler but I think a new route is a must!!! far too many loons on the road now.

DS2. Yep watched the same documentary very very scary. Brought back bad memories,those cyclists racing in the city where just suicidal...
Edited: 06/12/2012 at 12:16
06/12/2012 at 12:21
Hi Malcs where on the legs are you suffering? How fast are you running your 15m? Think we need to know a bit more info on your recent running, you will get plenty of help on here.
06/12/2012 at 12:29

efc - they made me so angry. We all know that there is no educating some drivers. I try not to get angry if I can help it when I get badly cut up because it makes you ride more dangerously thereafter and puts you more at risk.

I can vouch for Malcs as someone who has good ability and I'm sure will become a regular on this thread. Tell us more Malcs!

06/12/2012 at 12:35

Thanks efc-col & DS2. I run my LSRs between 8:20 and 9mm pace. I tried last year to run 9's first half and as close to 8's as I could get on the second.

Pain is in the thighs and calves - it's mild but it's there so it bugs me

For background I'm currently stuck on a (please don't send me away for this) 4hr marathon time. Can't shift off it. My 10K and half times are 43 and 1:34 though. I don't expect to be 3:15 but I'm convinced 3:30 is achievable. DS2 has convinced me I'm not delusional and I've had great encouragement from Minni and seren nos who have managed to knock huge chunks off their times. 

Edited: 06/12/2012 at 12:36
06/12/2012 at 12:41

Malcs - I see that you've also had an issue with cramp in your marathons and this could be connected to the pains you get when you do long runs?  I am of the opinion that cramp has less to do with hydration and salts and more to do with training and pace.   I'd say you just need to work more on your endurance to help this.  Slow down and go long.   I know that's not what you guys like to hear!

06/12/2012 at 12:47

Ha easy now!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.