Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

22,381 to 22,400 of 37,722 messages
07/12/2012 at 08:53

DS2 - things are ok, thanks. Obviously, it's hardest for my mum, now on her own after 55 years; lots of people around to try and support her as best we can.
Malcs - welcome to the thread. All the best with sorting out the cramp/aches issue and achieving sub 3:30. As a general rule of thumb, total weekly mileage should be 3 to 4 times the distance of the long run, but most people have to bend that rule a bit when it comes to 20 milers!
I did another slow 6 miles this morning. It's freezing out there, but we seem to have managed to avoid the snow so far.

07/12/2012 at 08:55

Poacher - brilliant 

I will consider myself warned. Everything I have printed out so far has just been sent to the shredder

....I am tempted by the running in women's underwear option though

Thanks Gul Darr - I'm way off by that multiplier.

07/12/2012 at 08:57
What d'ya mean Poacher, I've built all of those recommendations into my running routine - are you saying they are not now regarded as best practice?
TR
07/12/2012 at 09:23

Malcs - dont be embarrased, you've been running marathons the hard way. They are about to get easier if you run more often and for longer. Minni is right, the folks here will help you along if you let them.

07/12/2012 at 09:38

Eyup, Malcs - sound advice already - and your experience so far isn't wasted - it has led you to this point, and as TR says, things are about to get better. Like many, my first mara was a horror show for the last 8 miles or so, but once I sought advice from experienced exponents of the distance (well before internet forums existed), I was able to eventually make the most (nearly) of what I've got.
All the best. 

07/12/2012 at 09:41

No mention of marathon running with a fruity hat Poacher?

Badbark - just looked through your 20 week (140 day) programme. I am concerned about the Saturday of week 14. I reckon the 1 rest day could undermine the 139 running days. Perhaps you should put in at least an easy 5 in there instead? 

07/12/2012 at 10:45
Have now signed up for TCCSTFTeam - my commiserations to all of you....
07/12/2012 at 10:59

Welcome to Malcs, the only thing I can add is that if I did all  my lsrs at half slower than MP and half at MP my legs would probably ache too!

Badbark - one intense programme - good luck with it

I did 6 hilly miles this am at 8mm. It was quite pleasant - had to take my coat and gloves off at the end. Works do tonight so it looks like the weeks total is going to be 43m for the week.

07/12/2012 at 11:03

Thanks for all the ‘welcome back’ comments everyone.

Welcome aboard Malcs. Great advice given from everyone 

Keir – LOL! I’m using the programme as a rough guide and it peaks at 87 miles while I peak at 75 and I have a rest day every 7 to 10 days. This is the book I got the schedule from - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Run-Faster-5k-Marathon-Coach/dp/0767928229/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1354877394&sr=8-1

The book attempts to teach you to be your own coach and therefore run to your own limits. Certainly not for beginners but worth a read for anyone with a few years of running experience and multiple marathons completed.

It’s certainly helped me improve considerably over shorter distances recently.

07/12/2012 at 11:13

I’ve uploaded the level 2 Hudson Marathon plan to here - http://www22.zippyshare.com/v/4906182/file.html

As some peps have pointed out level 3 is pretty damn intense and my own personal plan has a mixture of level 2 and 3 runs. 

07/12/2012 at 11:18

Cheers for the link BB. I've added it to my Xmas list.

07/12/2012 at 11:29

Thanks for all the ‘welcome back’ comments everyone.

Welcome aboard Malcs. Great advice given from everyone 

Keir – LOL! I’m using the programme as a rough guide and it peaks at 87 miles while I peak at 75 and I have a rest day every 7 to 10 days. This is the book I got the schedule from - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Run-Faster-5k-Marathon-Coach/dp/0767928229/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1354877394&sr=8-1

The book attempts to teach you to be your own coach and therefore run to your own limits. Certainly not for beginners but worth a read for anyone with a few years of running experience and multiple marathons completed.

It’s certainly helped me improve considerably over shorter distances recently.

07/12/2012 at 11:45

Some things merit repetition

10M and then sports massage for me last night.  11M planned at lunchtime: a daytime MLR in December = a marathon runner's treat

07/12/2012 at 11:58
Wow - Jools, you certainly are putting the miles in. Is your much better.
07/12/2012 at 12:34

I believe there is a fast mentor available.....

HERE IS YOUR CHANCE !!!!

Have you been shunned by Asics?

Stuck in a training rut?

Got a marathon place and can only run round the block??

Busy busy busy and no time to train??

I have six lovely mentors all lined up and chomping at their Mizunos to get involved

All you have to do is to tell us why you should be given the prize of the millenium

YOUR PITCH

Should not threaten to harm small animals
Should not send people to sleep or need a screen break

It will contain your hopes for a marathon time
It will contain your marathon entry confirmed
It will contain a brief running history of recent times and pb's

We would love to hear all about YOU, strengths, weaknesses and limitations

---------------------------------------

This thread will close on Monday 17th December and then Kittenkat and her esteemed Adjudicator(s) will cogitate the pitches and we will then announce the LUCKY SIX on Christmas Eve

Asics 6??  As they said on Channel 4 ... thanks for the warm up    

Click on the link below to be taken to the pitching page.....

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/spring-marathon/the-rw-forum-six/234971.html

07/12/2012 at 12:40

No word limit? I'll start planning my 12,000 word response tonight. 

07/12/2012 at 12:47

DS2: I've had to juggle my P&D sessions about this week; ideally it would have been 7M Tuesday, 11M Weds, 5M Thurs, 10M Fri.  Instead it's been 5M Monday, 7M Weds, 10M Thurs and 11M Friday.  Heigh ho.  Neck is much better!

07/12/2012 at 14:39

No Minni, you can't tempt me into running a marathon before 2014!

07/12/2012 at 15:07
Go on Gul, you know you want to.
07/12/2012 at 15:49

Hi,

I'm new to this forum, as only kinda got involved with the ASICS Target 26.2 (I'm in the busy lifestyle category). It is really interesting reading the advice from everyone about how to train. I've done 2 marathons and ran 3:23 in Berlin in September off training 4-5x week, with a max of 45 miles in a week.

Do people think I will be able to get my time down to 3:15 (BQ and GFA VLM) on that basis, particularly if I get a good base in now?

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.