Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

22,401 to 22,420 of 39,005 messages
07/12/2012 at 16:31

Hi Clive and Welcome,

I got a 3.24 down to 3.13 in 6 months so it is readily do-able. The peeps on here are going to want a lot more info from you inc shorter distance pbs and what your other mara was and what your training plan is for the VLM.

07/12/2012 at 16:41

Hi Mennania,

My times are

5k 19.29 (May 2012)

10k 41.57 (Oct 2011)

HM 1.35.19 (May 2011)

Marathons Amsterdam 2011- 3.32.43, Berlin 2012 3:23:32

I reckon my HM time could come down as not raced properly at this distance; I've done a few as training runs eg 1:37.19 in early September as a fast finish long run

I used a programme from Greg Mcmillan, and if I dont get picked for the ASICS Target 26.2 team, then possibly would use it again since it seemed to work and I didn't hit the wall either time. I would struggle to train more than 5 days a week with work and home commitments..

07/12/2012 at 17:35
Ds2 - just stuck in my vote for you squire. Good luck! How old we're you when you did your mar PB?
Still struggliing to get going up here. ....need to pull my finger out
07/12/2012 at 18:10

Welcome Clive - I reckon that if you're prepared to put the effort in over the next few months you can get down to sub 3:15. Looking at your times and your conversion from 5K to longer distances, I'd suggest that you need to focus on the long run and the medium length marathon pace run as you've clearly got some core speed to be able to do a sub 19:30 5K

5 days a week should be fine as long as you can get at least 3 quality runs in.

When you did the 3:23 at Berlin what was your split like? Any particular race strategy?

Brutal 10K for me in the morning - it already looks as though it'll be a combination of cold, wet and muddy.

07/12/2012 at 18:16

Hi Clive - I was directed here by DS2 and I have to say the folks here have been immensely helpful. I feel like I've had a year's worth of coaching in just a couple of days.

It's like that scene from The Martix where they plug Keanu into the computer and 5 secs later..."I know jujitsu!"  Well maybe not quite like that but I'm going to be completely changing my training as a result.

How was the on call btw? 

07/12/2012 at 18:24
Fraser - thanks. Much appreciated! I was 29 and 11/12.

Malcs/Clive - stick around. These guys know everything.

Ran at work today on a relatively flat course. really enjoyed being able to settle in a rythm.6.77 in 52.20 with 4 at MP.
07/12/2012 at 20:01
Welcome Clive - what Lorenzo said!

TAR, my foot is still banjaxed and seeing no signs of improvement so no chance of being ready for the Langdale Pudding race Thanks for the offer though, most appreciated.
07/12/2012 at 20:40

Thanks Guys for making me welcome!

Lorenzo- in Berlin I did a negative split 1:43:43, then 1:39.49. I almost always do negative splits in all my races as scared of going out too quick. Mind you in Amsterdam the first time I ran the 1st 5k in 29mins!

I do struggle with the long runs a bit, but think that is more a reflection of coming to this so late (I only started running again in May 2010) and starting to develop a longer base since last summer. My programme tends to be a long run, a tempo-intervels session, easy run and one or 2 recovery runs. Should I change the focus slightly towards longer runs?

Malcs, DS- great to see you guys here too. Hope the rest of the week goes everyones way

Thanks for asking about the on call- was operating till 11.30 last night , then from 8.this morning till 2ish. I don't technically finish till Monday morning so going to go for a short round the block now before I go home, then got at least a few hours operating already lined up for the weekend

07/12/2012 at 20:50
Clive. IMHO your blend of runs within the week is about right. What fraction of the weekly mileage is represented by the LSR? Do you do any fast finish or progressive or interval type long ones eg 5 easy/ 5steady/5 easy/5MP

Conventionally the other way you would prob improve is to try to squeeze a medium long say 14 miler on Wednesdays after Tuesday's interval session??

Make sure you have a couple of beers to steady your hand for theatre tomorrow;-)

Hope the foot settles SJ

Read your pitch Keir on the "not the Asics" competition thread. Nice one. You're hired
07/12/2012 at 20:54
Hello Fraser why you struggling to get going? Come on - get with the game! I've spent the whole week running round and round a 1k lap. Honestly I've lost count how many times I've done it this week.
07/12/2012 at 20:59
Thanks minni. That's what a need. A damned good kick up the arse
07/12/2012 at 21:03
I've also been doing a fair amount of 5:30am and 9pm runs. There really is no excuse!. What races have you got coming up?
07/12/2012 at 21:15
Minni- That's part of the problem - none! Need to get and enter something. In your neck if the woods just now. Going to be icy on Sunday methinks. Not many street lights here eh
07/12/2012 at 21:22
If its icy I will ditch the fell race. It's long and hilly and I will be thigh deep in mud - none of that I mind but there's a stretch on flagstone steps coming down from quite high . I'll not risk that in the ice. Last time I did it I finished covered in blood!

You need to get some races entered. And you need to be aware that you might drop down to the sub4 thread if you don't get out there.....
07/12/2012 at 21:30
Harsh words Minni. I'll be scared to become a slacker now. I heard something on a thread a few days agoabout you being a disciplinarian
07/12/2012 at 21:38
DS2. She knows I'm man enough to take it;-) it's a northern thing
07/12/2012 at 21:55
Tough love up norf!
Blisters    pirate
08/12/2012 at 01:07

Advice coming thick and fast from both directions here. From cuddly support, to JFDI from Minni. I know that TR is in the JFDI camp, but has mellowed over the past year into the cuddle factory.
For my ten pennorth, Clive has got base speed, but needs to slow down when setting off for a L-O-N-G run. Watch that dehydration too. I weigh myself before a long run, and immediately afterwards. Naked obviously, That is how I know how much fluid I've lost, and need to replace. I'll carry 500ml, but still need to drink up to 2 litres when I get home.
If I do 6x 20 milers in a campaign, then typically the first one will be shite, there will be a couple when I think I could do better, one that flies, and then another disaster. Wisdom says that I should aim to do my long runs faster (8:30), but I'm happy just to bag the runs in honesty. A bad 20 miler is fantastic training. An easy/fast run tells you nothing.

If you want to do minimalist training, cut anything except the 20 miler. If you need to build up, then you need to do the regular ratrun and build the weekly miles. That's tedious but it delivers results. Guaranteed.

08/12/2012 at 06:49

Moof - yes, I know I want to!
Welcome Clive - sub 3:15 is a possibility. As others have said, concentrate on the endurance. So slow long runs and decent medium long runs too. Don't be tempted to do them too fast.
I did 10 miles this morning including what was suppposed to be a freedom parkrun, but part of the course is under water. Did an impromptu alternative and finished in 19:57. Having not done anything other than extra-slow and a few steady miles for weeks on end now, I'm happy with that and I think it may have been a touch over-distance. 42 miles for the week. I may add one or two extra miles per week before Christmas, but will probably stick then before I go bust

08/12/2012 at 07:35
What's a "freedom parkrun"? Is that when you sneak down to the park with no one else there and Inevitably end up on the coveted podium?

Blisters is right about Minni's brutal regime - that team will be suffering like the slaves in Spartacus by the end of Jantastic. Woe betide anyone who misses a session. They will be forced into exile on the Farne Islands with only 3 puffins and a shag for company.
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.