Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

22,441 to 22,460 of 37,385 messages
09/12/2012 at 06:10

RFJ- glad to hear you have recovered from such an injury- must have been really frustrating not being able to run for such a long time

Minni- love the picture- where was that?

Thanks for the advice everyone- think I need to look harder at my programme to get my endurance up. hopefully can get get RW/ASICS to do it if successful next week...

09/12/2012 at 09:51

well MRI scan booked for poorly pelvis,hope this gets to the bottom of it.life without running is rubbish.training for VLM starts soon,but i don't think thats going to happen,also got a dualathon in march,in clumber park,worksop thats the next goal.doctor also said i carn't swin or cycle but do a bit of yoga,go figure. 

09/12/2012 at 10:47
Welcome Clive, whatever the outcome do stick around.

RFJ. Welcome back, you will have no problem taking a big chunk off your mara time with that half time.

Minni. Loving the tough talk. Hope the long run went well.

XC yesterday for me, forgot how hard they can be.Loads of mud hills good fun though, just over 5.5m in a little over 38.xx still tells me there is plenty of room for improvement, No long run for me today, knee's a little tender so playing safe...

Hope the long runs went well for everyone!
09/12/2012 at 11:32

Minni - *Makes cat-growling-type-noise*

RFJ - welcome back and congratulations on knocking the injury on the head and then smashing that HM PB - kepp it consistently consistent and sub- 3:13 should be a shoe-in for you.

Welcome aboard Malcs and Clive - nothing to add that hasn't already been said. Suffice to say that you can already see the level of support, encouragement, wisdom and nonsense that you get on here.

Cold out there today, but gloriously sunny, too. 11M, which represents the longest run I've put in this season (post spring/summer). 30M this week which I hope to build to 40 by the end of the month in readiness for another marathon campaign in the New Year - starting 1st January early doors.

09/12/2012 at 13:22

14.6 miles in a quickish 7:11. Including last 4.6 at 6:55 mm pace. Calculates out to 3:08:30 mara. I was progressively quicker, but never quite managed any miles at 6:51. Still a nice marker prior to starting full training.

Annoyingly it gives me 45.95 for the week. I have thought about going out for an extra 0.05, but I am not that sad (I hope). 

09/12/2012 at 14:06
Nice going Ant/Scooby. Great shape at this stage Scooby.

Solid 15 for me today. First half at MP + 60, 2nd half MP + 30. Pretty windy but feeling pretty comfortable.38 for week. Certainly getting stronger.

By Thursday I'll know if I'm in the Target 26.2 team and then I can know for sure what my A Race is.

Glad to see Clive and Malcs have settled in here. Told you you'd get all the advice you need.
09/12/2012 at 14:46

Turkey Trot HM for me today. Initially I said the target was sub 90 with no heroics, the revised it to MP, without specifying if that was latest MP, PB MP or hoped for future MP. The forecast was for driving rain and up to 40mph winds, so I wasn't convinced any of those targets would happen, but the rain cleared up before the start, and although it was pretty damned windy, it certainly wasn't 40mph. 

I ran it with my nemesis from the summer who was also hoping for a similar time. It was going really well until we hit the hill at 10.5 miles, straight into the teeth of the wind. The hill is about a mile long and fairly steep, but the wind was my main issue. Up until that point we were definitely on for sub 90. By 11.5 miles it wasn't so sure, and there's another big hill to the finish line to contemplate. Some downhill here was welcome, but still running into the wind so not the easy ride I'd hoped for. 

We came in pretty much together, although Nat pipped me to the line. Knowing we were 5th and 6th I wasn't too worried about chasing her down. Prizes for the first three only. 1.29.02 for me. The effort in the last few miles was higher than MP, but for December, on a hilly course and in a stiff wind I'm fairly happy with that. So in April I just need to run that same pace for twice the distance, but with more training behind me, no hills and no howling gale. I think it's on! 

I didn't spot KR anywhere though. 

09/12/2012 at 15:04

Great run Speedy - especially in those conditions. Great to be running so well a tthis time of year! Sub 3 it is then! Nice report as well.

09/12/2012 at 15:07

I am informed that this photo was taken just after the top of the last hill, about 100m from the finish:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/522564_437647769634421_1611659927_n.jpg

I don't look too knackered and my form looks ok to my untrained eye. Also encouraging!

Edited: 09/12/2012 at 15:08
09/12/2012 at 15:35

Great report Speedy and cracking time. Once the mind believes the body will follow.

Nice LSR DS2

09/12/2012 at 16:40

Welcome back to RFJ, and welcome to Clive
Good solid running from Ant, AR, DS2, Scooby (not sad eh? even tho' you record your weekly miles to the 1/100) ?
Nice mudlarking from Lorenzo & Col.
Speedy
- good report & pic - and you're right - very encouraging result at this juncture.
Minni - 16 done & dusted? 
7 miles negotiating sheet ice & rutted paths yesterday gives me a mighty 27 mile week in 3 outings - 4 run week coming up  . . .

09/12/2012 at 16:42

Welcome Clive, you seem to have the basics so stick around and you will prosper. We'll also be able to ask you about all about our injuries

I hear they changed the course on your planned race Minni to avoid the icy tops.

Speedy, a fine run- you do look pretty relaxed in this photo.

Well after three slack weeks I decided to establish base camp for the VLM with 18 miles this morning. Just a plodding 9 min mile pace but gave me confidence and nudged me up to another 30 mile week.   

09/12/2012 at 17:17

Well run, Speedy (and as I said on The Other Thread, welcome aboard the sub 3 train from the Champs start!).

Welcome Clive  and Malcs.

Avon XC champs for me.  Not sure on finishing position because they didn't hand out tokens, but the important thing is that the pace was about 20s/mile faster than last week.  Still don't feel quite 100% after the cold, but the main thing is that I felt much more like 95% fit than the 75% fit I felt last week!  4th scorer for the club and fingers crossed we packed well enough...

09/12/2012 at 17:22
Speedy - great HM today and good to hear you sounding very positive.

Clive - North Northumberland.

I hadn't heart that OO but was glad I ditched out anyway. There was a biting wind here today and with all that mud and ice it would have been a miserable 12 miles.

So, 16 on the road instead, avg 8:48 with the last 3 miles the fastest, which is normally what happens, bringing my total this week to 58.
09/12/2012 at 17:28

Sterling performances from speedy and Jools. Nice LSR from Minni. Ladies leading the way this weekend clearly.

15 for me at 7.50s with the wind and rain and hills this morning. All feeling quite ok to be fair.

09/12/2012 at 17:50
Well done to everyone with long runs today! My two this weekend have been 5 & 4 miles respectively
In defence have been working and had 2 hours sleep so far too. Tried heart rate zones first time and felt quite good....

Definitely going to stick around irrespective if result doesn't go the right way
09/12/2012 at 20:00

Continued thanks for the welcome backs..... all I will say is sometimes its worth taking time out and looking at other targets, its worked for me...

Good running Speedy

Welcome to Clive and Malcs too.

Can confirm with Speedy that the wind was a sod today, especially in my 10k race at 4k and 8k, where I lost a total of about 20-30 secs at least... the target was to get a sub 39 which is still a way of my PB (37:32 from 3.5 years ago), finshed with 39:09, so reasonably happy with that at the end of season and in the middle of base training.... (was thrashed by Jnr though who got a 3 mins PB with 37:50 - on the back of no training this week due to a cold... the joys of being a 17 Y/O...)

Take care

09/12/2012 at 20:33

Thanks for the welcomes. Still feel a little out of my depth here around all you speedsters! 

Minni - that ice looks lethal! I bet you were tempted to have a little slide though...come on...confess!  ;)

09/12/2012 at 21:28
Welcome all new posters, learn to tell the good advice from the (large amounts of) nonsense and you will prosper
Welcome back RFJ, very nifty halves, obviously a good recovery from those injuries, 3.13 looks much more than do-able off such a good base of speed.
Nice long runs being logged, and nice one Speedy/Joolska too. Minni you are showing your true northern-ness by getting out in that weather.
Lorenzo - there must be a pic of you covered in mud...

Mixed weekend down in Kent, not actually all that cold so I got in a slow 21m on
Fri then pitched up at Orpington parkrun on Sat. Very welcoming bunch of folks, the fast people must all have gone Xmas shopping as surprisingly I snagged the V50 course record albeit with a not very fast time. Not a record that will endure. Then I saw that the overall course record belongs to some bloke called Jason with a superfast sub-16 time - anyone heard of him? Then another 8m today to make it 50 for the week.

Remember it is a long time till those spring maras, don't go mad and get injured or knackered too soon.
Edited: 09/12/2012 at 21:29
09/12/2012 at 21:36
Nice going Poacher. Glad you found the Orpington bunch friendly. We mostly are down here.

Where is RJ?
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.