Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

22,501 to 22,520 of 37,386 messages
10/12/2012 at 21:42
None more black Minni......
10/12/2012 at 21:49

Keir - I can only imagine!!!

11/12/2012 at 06:41

KR - not far off; up at about quarter to and out of the house just before six, slacker that I am.
DS2 - yes, I much prefer early mornings in the spring/summer, but needs must.
Keir - base training for me too until end of Jan; but no P&D to follow.
Ant - you're a brave man.
Back to Lorenzo o'clock for me today. 9 slow miles, which turned out to average 8:52m/m.

11/12/2012 at 08:49

Minni - thanks so much for your encouragement. I definitely have renewed hope from the help I've received.

Fraser - thanks for the support. I'm quite happy now whatever happens but it has been a bit of a rollercoaster.

CC2 - yeah that's not right. Glad to hear that error was corrected. I think this year everyone is getting involved in the forums and many of them will stick around. The guys in my group are a great bunch and I know they are looking for answers just like me. 

11/12/2012 at 08:51
Keir wrote (see)

Ohhh. I love my alplkit even more now, after reading through the TR posted thread. If you've got one, hold the on button down for 3 secs. Then press it again. Then again. Hold for another 3 secs to put back to normal. I don't want to spoil the surprise, but I feel as if I've just discovered a secret hidden head torch power!

If you have a Garmin Forerunner 305 (and I assume 205 as well) and you power it on by pressing the enter and on/off buttons at the same time, you enter some sort of test mode that reports temperature (so we need some screen shots at negative temperature, any talk of ice will not be accepted without proof) , allows a beep test (reputedly good for scaring off big dogs but I would rather keep running) .

See http://www.montebellosoftware.com/ascent_forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=574

11/12/2012 at 10:13

Keir/Minni,Speedy,CC2, Gul, Fraser, Poacher (and any other I've not mentioned) - thanks for the support you've given to DS/Malcs and me in this forum. Certainly Malcs and I were new to this, and finding our way. The competition puts a lot of emphasis on the forums and I think a lot of us felt panicked into getting involved, while at the same time intimidated by potentially being seen as 'campaigning'.

I have found you guys very welcoming, and this forum to be really useful. I plan on sticking around irrespective of outcome later this week

Question- Greg Mcmillan and Alberto Salazar have advocated/experimented with  doing a lot of speed work before 'traditional' base training for a marathon cycle; the rationale being you keep the speed and then it is easier to reintroduce in the later stages. Has anyone tried this, or any thought??

11/12/2012 at 10:24

Gul - I got out earlier today. Very cold (minus 4) but beautiful on top of the downs. Went to the park and ran on the undulating paths. It was lovely. 6 1/2 miles with 4 in the middle at just 7:15mm. Beginning to feel strong so the base building must be having some effect. It was still minus 4 when I got back in the car!

PMJ  - I have a 305. I will have to put to the test!

Clive - that is how I trained years ago. Not through choice really - needs must because of the guy I was trying to help for his middle distance championships. I have tried that approach as I have got older and invariably I have broken down. That is why I've reversed it this year and concentrated on base first. Basically listened to the advice on here!

11/12/2012 at 12:26

Club GP tonight. Hoping to end the slide in form but lets see.

11/12/2012 at 13:51
Well done on the HM, speedy. Nice pic, I see the crowds were out in full force. Will you be updating the list to make your sub 3 attempt official?

Welcome back RFJ, that injury sounds a nasty one.

No running for me at the weekend due to other commitments (two Christmas parties and a couple of matching hangovers!) Still, best to get it out of my system before the self imposed drinking ban at the start of January.

P&D training starts next week with 9 miles including 5 at tempo as a nice gentle intro to the Mara campaign.
After a couple of months of HADD style base training keeping the heart rate below 75% max. I've always felt a bit sluggish when attempting any pacey stuff, So I will be easing back into the quality runs and the 10/20% runs will be based on current MP (whatever the hell that is!) Rather than hopefull planned MP of - 6.50.
11/12/2012 at 14:04

moof - good effort at the weekend. Did you manage more drinks than you would usually have run miles?

Nice and easy does it on that P&D. It certainly does come as a shock when you increase the quality after a lengthy run of base!

11/12/2012 at 14:11
Just completed the P&D 9 with 5 tempo moof - I've started a week early. It came as a bit of a shock to the system. Didn't look at pace, just kept the heart rate around 88 - 90%. I was pleased to end the 5

Great HM Speedy. Do you ever get to have a non racing season/break- you seem 'fully charged' all year round!
11/12/2012 at 14:41
DS2- of course...with the help of a few whiskey chasers.
11/12/2012 at 15:45
Clive. I wonder if that approach might be an icing on the cake scenario for seasoned marathoners. The reality is raw speed isn't as important as a good base and endurance to try not to fall to bits in the last 6.2 that counts at our level

6 for me today with some strides then a final quicker mile. Something of a shock to my legs to try turn over a tad quicker!

When is the Asics 26.2 decision made????
11/12/2012 at 15:52

Thanks Fraser- sounds reasonable. Means I don't need to worry about plodding on the cold winter runs!

Managed 6 mile tempo intervals at lunch as afternoon list starting late- could have done with a bit more time ot stretch after tho...

voting closes tomorrow at midday, decision on thursday we think.

11/12/2012 at 16:07

Good to see some postive comments on injury/recovery recently. I'm trying not to panic - I went for regulation 10 mile MLR on sunday and have managed to aggravate my (left) achilles. I'm really, really annoyed with myself. I felt something not quite right after about 5 miles, but ploughed on to the end partly because I was with a running partner. I know exactly what to do (ice, eccentric calf raises etc) as I had this a few years ago on the right leg - and I even had the sense to back out of a couple of runs a few weeks ago because I could feel the (right) achilles beginning to feel wrong. Arrggghhh.

So 40 minutes as a galley-slave on the rowing machine today to keep myself ticking over.

On a positive note, I have managed an average of 36mpw over the last nine weeks, max LSR 17 miles, a few 15 milers. Hoping to be ready for P&D sub 55 starting Jan 1st. Hoping.

TR
11/12/2012 at 18:10

Clive - what Fraser said. For us numpties (as against hardened high milegae marathoners) if you dont have the endurance and miles in the bank, then how fast you can race shorter distances or do reps counts for nothing when the wheels have come off at 18M.

Edited: 11/12/2012 at 18:11
11/12/2012 at 18:40

For us it is all about endurance anything else is icing on the cake. If you can't run for 3 hours slowly, you have no change of running quickly for 3 hours (not sure where I got that one from, but I like it).

7 miles in just over an hour tonight. First of my cut back and jiggle week, prior to the schedule next week.

11/12/2012 at 21:08

Played 4-a-side football in a gym last night as was a works conference.... DO NOT let me back near a football again... I am aching all over, covered in bruised and sore... running and football do not combine well... hence why I gave it up many years ago... do not get tempted...

Cold out there today, be careful on the ice over the coming days all....

Just had a quick skim over the posts... take care all

Edited: 11/12/2012 at 21:08
11/12/2012 at 22:17

AR - I had a couple of weeks easy after each marathon this year, and now I have three easy weeks before I start the VLM build up. Tonight I went to the intervals session dressed in the entire contents of my wardrobe (nearly) so that I could help out with the timekeeping. Luckily I only had a group of 5, but trying to operate the stopwatch and write down times in the dark, standing up and with numb fingers was quite a challenge!

12/12/2012 at 08:48

Clive - as per others. Endurance first; maybe find a bit of speed in a few months time.
3 easy miles this morning. I'm going to try and fit in my "long" run tomorrow as I've a Christmas Party on Friday evening and might not make a 4:45am start on Saturday!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.