Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

22,541 to 22,560 of 37,190 messages
10/12/2012 at 20:01
SJs rating on film knowledge goes up to...ELEVEN

PMJ you are probably fitter than you think
Get well KR, and welcome back to fitness FW

Malcs how did MrsMalcs do - it looked like a benign course but the mud was a tad claggy, it would have to dry out or get a lot colder to be that much quicker. As for parkrun I'm a recent convert but I think others here have been doing it for ages.

OO - embrace the 50-ness. The competition in the V50 category is a lot thinner than in the V40 & V45 - there are age group podium places for the taking and the WAVA scores look healthier.
10/12/2012 at 20:08
Ah Fraser glad you've checked in. When I was out in the hailstones tonight, keeping the vision of Speedy's excellent form in my mind to keep myself in check, I was wondering if you'd got going.

Poacher - well done!

KR - hope you feel better soon and you too SJ.

DS2, Malcs - not long to go now. I bet you're exhausted with all this build up. I hope you both get through. You've both got what it takes to hit your goals with or without the competition though.

I'm sick of the dark. I think I've said that before.
10/12/2012 at 20:21

I think we are absolutely knackered Minni. I think it may be outside of our control. Some candidates are going to the papers - all sorts it seems! Let's hope they consider more than just the final number of votes.

Not sure where it will end. I thought that I would have a reasonable chance in the voting because it was voted by the members and had been on here for a while but people will have much wider facebook coverage than me and they are getting all and sundry to sign up and vote.

Be glad when this bit is over. Either get back to normal training or get on with the RW/Asics plan. I'm sure I will achieve my goals if I stay on here with everyone's support and I'm sure Malcs will as well.

Good to see fraser showing his face.

Gul - I've been cheating this past couple of weeks and been running lunchtime. Like Minni I hate the dark! I do miss the feeling of getting it done and dusted early doors though. Need to tomorrow because diary full up for rest of it!

10/12/2012 at 20:22

Missed that one Fraser. How's the 'Grand Design' coming on?

Cheer up Minni. Mornings and eves will be getting lighter in another 11 days time.

Poacher - was that your annual winter visit to tropical Kent or will you be down this way again soon?

I've decided to delay jumping onto the P&D train until the end of Jan and focus on base training for another few weeks. It doesn't hurt as much 

10/12/2012 at 20:33
Ds2 - the voting is always a mystery. Lets hope the work you've put in over the past few weeks as well as in the past are noticed.
10/12/2012 at 20:33

Poacher - she really enjoyed it thanks. She came in a shade over 27 mins. I must admit I prefer it a bit firmer under foot myself, it did sound awfully moist!

Minni - thanks! Yes I feel so much more positive going forward having talked to people here and on other parts of the forum. Before now I really found it hard to understand why I couldn't achieve a much faster time.

The worst part about the competition is the awkward position it puts you in when posting on the forum. You get a bit paranoid about whether people are questioning your motives (well, why wouldn't they?) I know a few people who have had concerns about appearing to be vote scroungers and this has kept them from posting on other forum threads which is a real shame. 

It's perhaps easier for DS2 because he was here before but for newer members (which most of us are) it's much more difficult. If DS2 hadn't suggested I ask for advice here I would have held off too.

Don't get me wrong though, it has been great being part of the process. I've met some amazing people and the prize represents a great opportunity. We shall see what happens.

10/12/2012 at 20:35

I'm chilled with 50 but not setting silly targets with my poor form of late. The York Brass Monkey is my next serious target on 20th Jan. 81-82 mins is realistic if the weather is below the gale force we had last year.

I used to live in a small villiage where the street lights extended to a 2 mile circuit- so I feel your pain Minni.

10/12/2012 at 20:39

x-post - Chin-up DS2. You can only do what you can do. There is a lot of pressure at this stage, but also all the way through the competition - especially for those faster runners. You are in the public spotlight, everyone analysing and sometime criticising your training in this competition. Sometimes this pressure can help you get out the door, in other cases in the past it has all got a bit personal (such as when the winner didn't post anything for weeks at a time)

10/12/2012 at 20:40

OO - good to be chilled. I understand that the new age group pushes many people to run faster times again. Well that's what I'm hoping when I get there. I will be stalking your every move as inspiration

I, also, live on the edge of a small village with next to no lighting especially in the direction I prefer to run. Great in the daylight because the hills of the downs are breathtaking on a glorious chilly winters day but not so at this time of year at 6am or 6pm!!!

TR
10/12/2012 at 20:40

PMJ - I agree that you are a long way base wise from where you were a year ago, but given your long term aims I would encourage you to target and chase a few 1/2s through the year. Not sure that targetting short summer races will help the big picture, but targetting spring and summer 1/2s with some short summer races that are simply raced off the 1/2 training might though.

10/12/2012 at 20:46
Malcs - we've all been there, wondering why we're not getting any quicker even though our training is (so we believe) spot on. But I really believe you have to go through that in order to then knuckle down and improve. Think of it as long term base training! Once we see where we've been going wrong and then learn ways to rectify it running becomes so much more enjoyable and fun.
10/12/2012 at 20:49
Ten pounds on its' way to you mr SJ Sir

It's coming along slow but sure Keir. Got a good builder who seems to know what he's doing

Ds2/Malcs. Major stress. Prob the worst stage since it's out if your hands in reality. If you're successful as long as you're honest and post regularly you can't go wrong

Presumably you're head torched up minni. Doesn't help with the ice much though eh
10/12/2012 at 20:57

Fraser - not kidding but myself and Malcs both took exactly that view when we first met at bootcamp. Also, I just came on here to discuss headtorches because someone on the Asics thread just asked.

We had a conversation on here a few weeks ago. Apologies if I'm wrong but TR and Keir (I think) made some recommendations. Could anyone remind me of the name of it/them please?

TR
10/12/2012 at 21:13

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/triathlon/head-torch/233215.html I think this backs up what I originally said about the Alpkit headtorch, although someone did recommened I keep an open mind about one 10X the price. 

10/12/2012 at 21:18

I think the Alpkit one gets high recommendations. When I was in the market for one they were sold out though. 

I wouldn't worry about the vote count DS2 - 2 years ago, when it was done on time targets, we were all sure that KR would get in for sub 3.15, but some woman who had barely ever posted (and not once on the sub 3.15 thread) and whose recent times didn't even hint at sub 3.15 got it (whatever happened to her?). There was a bit of an outcry it has to be said, but the world was put to rights when KR got through last year. Back in my day (GNR Lucozade Super Six) it was largely reliant on votes, and I campaigned like a trouper to get selected, but times have changed! I'd like to think that these days they weight it a little in favour of regular posters at least. 

10/12/2012 at 21:28

Slokey/Fraser/Poacher: Too much f***ing perspective!

Call me perverse, but I'm really enjoying all this cold, dark weather, especially as the few hours of daylight we do get have been bathed in sunshime over the last few days.

I went back to the osteopath today and got thoroughly wrenched and pulled about, and feel much better now as a result. The excruciating pain I was expecting from suction cup massage didn't happen as he said another session of that wasn't necessary, but was instead replaced by getting my tender pubis massaged hard by both his thumbs. This thread will note I did NOT weep, but felt like it. Anyway, he says I need a few more sessions (well, he would, wouldn't he?) but there is no mention of resting up or taking things a bit easy, just plenty of stretching and obliqual work. The discomfort I feel at night is par for the course, he says. Bizarrely, I take great comfort from this, and fully intend to push on now and get in the best shape possible for a decent assault on 26.2 miles this spring.

10/12/2012 at 21:30

I think the 'open mind' comment was regarding a missed innuendo TR. Not sure who would have made such a lewd comment though 

10/12/2012 at 21:31

Thanks TR - I knew you'd come up trumps!

I'll post it on the other thread!

10/12/2012 at 21:38
Yes Fraser, head torched up but I'm a bit of a wuss and there are only certain routes I'll attempt in the pitch black.
10/12/2012 at 21:42

Ohhh. I love my alplkit even more now, after reading through the TR posted thread. If you've got one, hold the on button down for 3 secs. Then press it again. Then again. Hold for another 3 secs to put back to normal. I don't want to spoil the surprise, but I feel as if I've just discovered a secret hidden head torch power!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.