Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

22,561 to 22,580 of 38,246 messages
13/12/2012 at 16:51

Clearly worked for you too KR.

Just so it's clear neither of us were questioning the quality of the coaching. After seeing them mention the schedule calculator in the BC vid I was a bit worried that we might be forced to promote a plan that wasn't necessarily the best solution for us as individuals. DS2 put my mind at rest about this after telling me about your experience last year.

We both would have loved to have won (Clive too) but not winning does have some bonuses. Flexibility and less pressure are two that have already been mentioned here.

I can see why the competition has some critics. But for me it has been brilliant. It got me involved here and put me in front of some really experienced and very friendly people. As a result I now have a good idea where I'm going wrong and if I can correct it and get my time down to where I think it should be I'll be ecstatic.

13/12/2012 at 16:57
Poacher wrote (see)
Minni do you know which start you are on for VLM? Im toying with the idea of a fancy dress sub 3.15 attempt, maybe I can slipstream behind you as you storm off to a heumungus PB

are you really saying that I can slipstream you and get myself a nice pb? 

I'm on the green start and will definitely be going for sub 3:15 unless anything goes sadly wrong between now and then.   I've excited already!

Bunked off work early to get my run done in daylight.  11m @ 8:09.  Boy, its cold!

13/12/2012 at 17:15

No I will be behind you. Your training is ssssoooooo dedicated at the moment

Minni wrote (see)
.   I've excited already!

What - or whom - have you "excited"?

13/12/2012 at 17:26

DS2 - Keir is spot on. Your chances of achieving your goal have now improved substantially. I used to follow the Asics 6 when it was based on London. I remember one year only 3 of them made it to the start line and only one achieved their target and that was "the get round" person.

I feel back on track now. 50 miles for the week at 07:33 pace. That will do nicely for this week and feels good to bang out 50 miles with two days to spare.

I have a "guaranteed" sub 3hr training program if you are interested. Funnily enough it doesn't include "expert" advice, "professional" coaching, special diets, HADD, P&D - just lots of running!

13/12/2012 at 18:25
Hard lines to ds2, Malcs, Clive. There have been a few spectacular implosions under the scrutiny of the threads so you need a very thick skin to survive the process. Def a lot less pressure but still get most of the benefits in the forum six thingy

Minni. Hardcore. My mojo is more or less back now. Came through Wooler on the wy down today. Lovely and crisp and frosty in the winter sunshine
13/12/2012 at 18:29
Poacher wrote (see)

Minni wrote (see)
.   I've excited already!

What - or whom - have you "excited"?

Lol!  Not my family and friends anyway who aren't sharing my enthusiasm!

I was talking to a colleague today about running and was saying I was needing to train hard to knock 5 mins from my marathon time.  He said, 'can you not just run faster on the day'!!!

13/12/2012 at 19:57

I feel re-energised tonight. I've just had 6 weeks of good solid training with no niggles and feeling like I'm a runner again. The comments on here have made me realise why I entered the competition in the first place. I'd been on here again after a break, got loads of good advice, and decided I thought I had a good story. I made it to the last stage but maybe it's not such a bad thing.

I'm really looking forward to the Halstead marathon. I love the event and I feel totally focused on my goal. Thanks for voting and all of your support.

One Gear - would love to see your plan. I'm still a bit undecided how to go forward if I'm honest.

Poacher/Minni & every one else on here - I'll be right there supporting at VLM. I love supporting the event being my local marathon. I hope to see you on the day and especially after when you will all be celebrating. The first beer will be on me!

13/12/2012 at 19:58
Poacher wrote (see)

+1 Minni and Speedy are certainly doing some really impressive training at the moment. Keep it going ladies, you are inspiring me to get out my front door on frosty mornings. 
13/12/2012 at 20:52

Er, this week I have run 3 miles. I don't expect to run any more. 

Congratulations/commiserations to DS2, Malcs and Clive. Stick around, we'll see you right. 

13/12/2012 at 20:58

Just been saying that on the other thread Speedy to Malcs!

Mrs DS2 is pretty pleased as well. She thinks I've got more chance of succeeding by following my own (or rather that suggested by this thread) training plan and that I can make sure I fit it around my life!

13/12/2012 at 21:15

Malcs - yes the plan worked for me, but I guess that was because I needed to change the way I trained. Like Eric Morcambe said to Andre Prevan, I was playing the right notes but in the wrong order.

So what time did you bunk off work Minni to get an 11 mile run done in daylight - midday? Love the enthusiasm!

That's an impressive weekly milage at this time of year OnGear, what are looking to peak at?

Steady on Speedy, that's nearly a 5k!

Feeling a lot better now after 4 days of medication, so went out for an 8 miler tonight (in darkness Minni - that's hardcore! ) at a very leisurely 8 min mile pace. Think there was actually an 8.18 mile in there too somewhere. Amazing what a few pills can do.

13/12/2012 at 21:36

Commiserations/congratulations to DS2, Malcs and Clive.

Some very impressive dedicated running going on here at the moment. 5 miles at an amazing 9:03 for me tonight, it was raining a little bit, but still nice and warm. Stressing more and more about returning home next week.

As part of my cut back week, last night I went to see The Hobbit and had a few beers afterwards. I had almost forgotten what mid week social events felt like. Still I spent most of the evening sat down, so good for resting.

13/12/2012 at 21:42
KR - E's and whizz....you've gotta lov 'em
13/12/2012 at 21:50

There speaks the thread's medic.  

13/12/2012 at 22:10
Did Timothy Leary ever knock out a decent mara?
Edited: 13/12/2012 at 22:11
13/12/2012 at 22:30
Fraser Wells wrote (see)
KR - E's and whizz....you've gotta lov 'em

E's whizz and dolly mixtures!

The Shamen sang about it in the early 90's (Ebeneezer Goode) as did Pulp (Sorted For E's & Wizz). I think I'll stick to prescribed legal drugs!

13/12/2012 at 22:52

knight rider - that will be the mileage I stick at until the Runner's World sub 3 schedule catches up with me in late Feb/March where it goes up to the low 60s. I tend to try and increase the average pace for the week through Jan/Feb/Mar and find without this kind of base in the 3 months before christmas I struggle to stay with it.

Wouldn't mind doing something different in the training this year and I see a lot of people throw in some marathon pace into their long runs. Other than one track session a week I don't run any miles that fast. (06:45). My excuse is that where I run is very difficult to find a couple of miles of flat but that is probably a "kop out".

Can't imagine trying to run 10 miles of marathon pace in a 20 miler but not sure why.

DS2 - I have my schedule from my Garmin for the first time I ran sub 3 (2010). Unfortunately I have found no way of getting Garmin history files exported/saved to disk. They just appear as random code and letters. I have them as hard copy of screen prints and if you are interested I would be quite happy to get that to you somehow. But don't ask me to try and do anything clever via the forum - typing simple messages is my limit when it comes to that!

Blisters    pirate
14/12/2012 at 00:07
TR wrote (see)

DS2 - what Minni said. Less pressure and no jealousy here.

If the folks looking to run 5 x week, were to spend the next 6 weeks doing something like a long run of 16ish to 18M, and something like a 12, 10 and a couple of 8's, all nice and easy does it, then they would be doing themselves a massive favour IMO.

Far Canal

This geezer's got some true nuggets of gold. (TR) Add in the gems from PMJ and we have got a new religion. Bin Dare, Dun Dat, Over the Hill and Down the Other Side. First of all you wannabe's need not follow me (Heavens Above at the thought) but the recommendations on how to make the ascent are first class. There are some out there for whom the recommendations read thus:
1- Train F-King Hard
2-Get Injured
3- Next Suspect?

I see two classes of people arriving here with aspirations.
1- Young (sub 30), Naive, Stupid. However the young bit allows the body to forgive the over-training mistakes.
2- Old (More like 40+). Naive. Stupid. Belligerant. Being less stretchy, they will need expensive Physio treatment.

Anyone outside of those classifications has got many T shirts.

Sure you can believe that you are invincible, but book the appointment first. Build the weekly mileage. Build the long run. Build the frequency of days/week. But take a month over each big step. 30 to 40 mpw. 40 to 50 mpw. 50 to 60 mpw. In my early days I discovered that a long run of 20+ meant that the next weekend had to be restricted to 13/15 miles. Being injured is a pisser.

Personally, I politely request that nobody follows my training as though it was a plan. Some sessions are a bit "hard case", but there is a significant lack of "base and core", and a complete absence of planning. Enjoy the fun.

Edited: 14/12/2012 at 00:08
14/12/2012 at 06:48

Birch - hope the pain in the hip is just a blip - take it easy.
Commiserations to DS2, Malcs and Clive on not getting through. And congratulations too. Maybe things will work out for the best.
Blisters - imho, a month over each big step is not long enough. Not for me anyway. Six months is nearer the mark!
Another 8 slow miles this morning which means I don't have to get up till 6am tomorrow morning - bliss!

TR
14/12/2012 at 09:01

Blisters - not sure what the running boff's fill their text books with as I havnt got any (I have Going Long by Gordo though), but we could right a book for middle aged have a go before its too late numpty runners like us that have work, life and families to juggle. I think it would be a 4 word book - "left after right often".

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.