Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

22,581 to 22,600 of 37,387 messages
14/12/2012 at 09:33

Commiserations to DS2, Malcs and Clive but as everyone has said it could be blessing in disguise. You are now free of the mental stress of being scrutinised daily and you can knuckle down and enjoy the physical stresses ahead.

14/12/2012 at 09:52

TR - spot on I would say!

Badbark - I think it is a blessing. I really don't feel anywhere as disappointed as I thought I would so that must be saying something. What is good is that it gave my training a little boost and now I'm in good habits and well placed. I think the other guys think the same!

14/12/2012 at 10:40

Echo that DS2. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't still a little disappointed. However, I've had such a boost from everyone on the forum. I was losing the belief that my target tme would ever be achievable. I now have renewed hope.

Just dropped my pitch in for the Forum Six. Fingers crossed for a better result there

14/12/2012 at 11:54

Thanks everyone for the support over last few days. Definately planning on sticking around for the advice!

Is Forum 6 only for Spring Marathons? I might miss a spring and go to chicago in October???

14/12/2012 at 13:57

Love your pitch Malcs. 

Clive - yes its based around a Spring Marathon.

14/12/2012 at 14:01

I'll be right behind you Malcs,  but after supporting you in the Target 26.2 it didn't do you any good so perhaps I should support someone else!

Clive - how are you with long runs on hot summers days?

14/12/2012 at 14:12

Clive - Want to know the perfect build up for Chicago (or any autumn marathon)?

- run a Spring marathon. Even if you only give it 90% in the training, the mileage in the legs as well as the mental learning and strength from the experience of the training and from the race itself will greatly increase your chances in Chicago.

DS2 wrote (see)

Clive - how are you with long runs on hot summers days?

I'm just about to go out for 2 hours before the works Xmas party - in the cold, dark and constant rain. I dream of long hot summer runs!

Edited: 14/12/2012 at 15:09
14/12/2012 at 15:08
Chicago is flat and potentially fast, and finishers are supposed to be offered a free beer on crossing the line.....get in there.
14/12/2012 at 16:24

Yes commiserations to DS2, Malcs and Clive, but can't help agreeing with others that it may be a blessing not to have been picked.

Although the coaching would have been interesting for you i personally think that having to get out the door yourself and running consistently gives you a stronger mental attitude. You only get out what you put in...think i heard that on here too.

Should be a cheap day out in Chandos with Minni supplying the bubbly and DS2 getting the beer in

5 cold and slippery miles last night, club race on Sunday so having a day off

14/12/2012 at 16:29

Look like an odd bunch that got through. I voted for DS2 and the fastest ones and really would have liked to see Run Ricky Run go sub 2:20 http://www.thepowerof10.info/athletes/profile.aspx?athleteid=31395
2:20 is back to back 70 halfs and his PB is 71 so it would be hard and instructive.

Old days it was definitely very odd, as people picked a time and then the votes went to those who were most likely to crash and burn. Now it seems to have swung too much in the other direction (and I won't say why as I am sure those who agree don;t need to be explained to and those who disagree don't need a troll).

14/12/2012 at 16:45

Thanks for all the support and good wishes everyone - really very much appreciated.

Philip - poor Ricky was a bit out on his own there. In the first timers category he was bunched with all the higher target time runners and there was always going to be one of them go through. I agree it would have been very interesting to see what they did with him.

14/12/2012 at 17:00

PMJ  - I think it's disappointing that no-one in the team is aiming to run around the Sub 3:15 pace. I know we all aim for the magic Sub 3 but 3:15 is a target for many many club runners and I'd love to have seen what they would have done coaching wise if myself or Clive for instance had got through (obviously I'm biased). But as said above it's all about self-motivation!

I didn't expect to get as far as I did when I entered. it was only because I was on the forums that I entered. it wasn't because I read it in the magazine.

I would like to have seen Ricky get through as well. Been interesting to see what Steve would have done. As you say converting a 71 minute half into a sub 2:20 full would be some feat!!!

efc - been avoiding talking with you all week after the turnaround in the game last Sunday (Spurs fan obviously)!. The Chandos used to be a regular drinking haunt of mine when I was younger and working just around the corner. Always nice to revisit!

14/12/2012 at 18:54
DS2 that result was a shock to us all there at the time, Spurs are a quality side who will do well this season.

I have raced against Ricky many times(well been in the same race) he always finished 1st or there abouts in our club league races. Would have been good to see if different coaches improved his running.
14/12/2012 at 19:01
Philip_M_Jones wrote (see)

and the fastest ones and really would have liked to see Run Ricky Run go sub 2:20 http://www.thepowerof10.info/athletes/profile.aspx?athleteid=31395
2:20 is back to back 70 halfs and his PB is 71 so it would be hard and

I don't really understand why he entered the competition or why he even got through to the final vote.   He appears to already have a coach/team of people assisting him so why then add in another coach who would require him to train more or less to set schedules.  Remember this competition is all about promoting the sponsors.   I would expect someone who wants to quality for the Commonwealth Games to take it a bit more seriously and not be so shortsighted.

14/12/2012 at 20:28
+1 minni. It's like a premiership footballer asking for advice from someone offering sports coaching as a lucky dip prize. Most bizarre. I voted for him tho cos I'd have loved to see what he/they achieved. I'd have been most miffed if I was his coach....
14/12/2012 at 22:24

Makes you wonder what his coach thought about it (or if he knew about it?) and how he would have taken a back seat? Good luck to the guy though.

14/12/2012 at 23:20
Bad luck DS2 et al

Lucky Santa Claus!
Edited: 14/12/2012 at 23:21
14/12/2012 at 23:24

Blowing a hooley here. Hope it clears up for the parkrun in the morning

15/12/2012 at 09:25

Thanks SJ - life moves on. As many have said, it may be a blessing so I'm thinking of it as a positive.

Off for a gentle 5 miler in the rain!

15/12/2012 at 10:30
DSanta2 wrote (see)

PMJ  - I think it's disappointing that no-one in the team is aiming to run around the Sub 3:15 pace. I know we all aim for the magic Sub 3 but 3:15 is a target for many many club runners and I'd love to have seen what they would have done coaching wise if myself or Clive for instance had got through (obviously I'm biased). But as said above it's all about self-motivation!

I agree. I suppose a lot of this is all about demographics and a magazine certainly has to know a lot about that. I measure myself against a small group of runners, either on the local scene or via the internet, and that is what motivates me. So as an example, last year I was ranked 50th V45 over 10 miles and a certain forumite was ranked 51st so I had a smile on my face. This year he is 91st and I DNS so unhappy. 

To me that means I am interested in a very small demographic. The magazine has to look at its demographic and if I look at my running club, there are 80% or more who are not going to get anywhere near 3:15 and so they have to cater for the masses rather than the specifics.

Now the final five are know I may follow Alex (AW) as his 3:06 and aiming sub 3:00 is not a bad comparison and once I dug him out in po10 I saw he runs for a localish club we race against (and I have actually beat him once over 5k so ). I hope he comes onto this forum from time to time as the sub 3 thread is a bit elite and we are a much nicer bunch, aren't we?

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.