Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

22,601 to 22,620 of 38,940 messages
TR
15/12/2012 at 11:02

I don't get these competitions and dont like some of the behaviours it brings out in folks, so I didnt vote. Not always but sometimes a lot of sour grapes and jealousy comes out and its really not a nice ride then for a so called "winner". A friends wife was one of these "winners" a few years back and she was treated poorly by some posters.
I guess that the folks that are new to the forums arnt aware that there are lots of busy aged 40ish runners trying to juggle it all towards a decent marathon here already, and in fact we might be better placed in helping them than a coach that is used to training proper athletes. Theres no magic ticket to marathon success.

I wish that RW wouldnt ask for votes but just unveil some folks to be followed, the jealousy and nastiness wouldnt exist then.

15/12/2012 at 11:08

12M for me this morning including Ashton Court parkrun.  Time was a bit slower than I would have wanted (just over 21 mins; classic AC splits meant 2 miles over 7m/m and one at 5.44m/m to average 6.47m/m) but I suppose it's been a busy* week (and a stint of ceilidh dancing barefoot seems to have left my calves a bit tight).

* Busy = too much booze, too much gadding; not enough sleep...

15/12/2012 at 12:08

TR - On the whole I agree. I guess the voting thing just gives RW the opportunity to get a few more email addresses (at worst) and a few more readers (at best). I'm not sure the vote really counts for that much in all honesty which. if that's the case, is very unfair on all the effort put in by the shortlisted few and for those that were kind enough to try to their bit for us.

I completely agree about it contributing towards some jealousy but not from me. I met most of those who are through and have been messaging most of them as well. They seem like good people with worthwhile stories and I'll be right behind them. I don't get this bashing them just because they won - that's not right!

I take your point about the sub 3;15 being outside of the potential of 80% and I suppose Alex represents the other 20%. I spent the day at bootcamp sitting next to him. He's a nice guy, committed to his running and he'll be a great subject.

Anyhow got back on the saddle today with a gentlish 5.7 miles. Should have felt easier but the wind was difficult.

Nice running early doors jools. is the neck fully recovered now?

15/12/2012 at 12:12

Agreed TR. I did stg like this with Running Fitness a few years ago, the entry process was simply to write 100 words on why one should be chosen.  They picked a diverse 6 people, didn't pile on any pressure (no votes and no forums involved) and it was fun. I think 5/6 achieved their targets, no 6 got injured.

I set another forgettable record today - the fast bloke who always trounces me at parkrun was on the lash last night, so I sneaked in with the slowest winning time ever recorded for the event.  Breaking a record held by, err, me. .  Onward and upward, sort of.

Good weekend all, remember that running is cheaper and healthier than shopping.

15/12/2012 at 12:17

Poacher - maybe that's the way it should be! great Parkrun story! A win's a win!!!

TR
15/12/2012 at 12:29

Maybe I should clarify more, I'm not saying anyone inc DS2 has been jealous yet. Knight Rider enjoyed his role and did well, but he was an established forumite that lots of folks on here got behind and his thread worked well. MM was the same, he was good value and I liked what he did.
But there are other winners that maybe arnt established forumites and "win" as a newbie, this is where it can get a bit messy with folks thinking they are owed by these winners and expect certain forum and running behaviours. It all ends up with a "X would have been a better candidate than Y". The bad behaviour doesnt always come from folks  that entered the competitions either, it can be established RW folks, that dont take to the newbies. SO I'm not saying that DS2 or anyone else that put themselves fwd has been jealous, I'm just saying what can happen.

Minni's mentors for runners by runners works better, but the forums will always have a certain element of folks that just want to stir it up. Minni made me a kind offer too.

Edited: 15/12/2012 at 12:32
15/12/2012 at 13:07
TR wrote (see)

Minni made me a kind offer too.

15/12/2012 at 13:36

I sniggered at that, too, Keir.  Warped minds think alike

15/12/2012 at 15:35

Yes, hard cheese to the boys who didn't get in but as others have pointed out, I bet any disappointment is tinged with a good dose of relief. Anyway, in reality you've won, because you've ended up on this thread, IMHO.

12.5M@ 7:40mm done this morning instead of tomorrow, as works' Christmas do is tonight and while I'll be beating a hasty retreat afterwards, there will still be over-consumption.

Have to say I'm very pleased with my recovery. Two sessions with the osteopath, while excruciatingly painful, seem to have done the trick (another to come on Monday, hopefully the last). I've entered a 8.5kms race next Saturday and hopefully I'll be able to go under 4mins/km average. The Team GB vest should help.

Sorry I've been a bit sporadic on here, but this week my car broke down, potentially definitively, and the men were in to do the first phase of the parquet flooring. Next week I'm even going to have to move out (to the mother-in-law's) for a couple of days while they sand it down and varnish it. For some reason, these two matters are causing me untold stress. Untold, mind.

TR
15/12/2012 at 15:59

"kind" not "saucy" !

15/12/2012 at 16:41
Joolska wrote (see)

I sniggered at that, too, Keir.  Warped minds think alike

Make that three

8.8 miles for me today at 7:34 pace, all very nice and probably quicker than it should have been. I decided to do my long run today as well, just in case. 4 very, very easy planned for tomorrow.

15/12/2012 at 17:03

I was thinking of the posts a few days ago...

15/12/2012 at 17:47
Lol! That was supposed to be between the two of us TR! I'm still disappointed you turned me down - you're definitely the man for the job.
15/12/2012 at 18:08

Sounds like a perfect opportunity for some 20+ runs POEAMM . Maybe even longer......

Back to it tomorrow, feeling grand and ready to smash it on monday when I start the P&D..... with ..........a rest day? wt..?

15/12/2012 at 18:17

That's what I was thinking, POEAGWTOAM. Look, as it's Christmas, I'll back down and change my Festive name to avoid confusion, shall I?

15/12/2012 at 18:19

There.

15/12/2012 at 18:45

I seem to be the bore with not chaning my name

Agree with your comments TR, a few years ago I wished and wished that I could win one of these comps, then really saw how it went all wrong with some... not just that, but I like to race a lot as support my local club with XC races and league reaces, none of which would be allowed with teh RW coaching system.

Trying not to get a sickness bug which has hit our house....

Take care

15/12/2012 at 19:21

I think POEAGWTAM skips off the tongue quite nicely THATI, I was going to go with the three wise Mennanias but it all seemed a little too, well, self indulgent and I have just now twigged I have stood on your mistletoes..

RFJ - Good luck

christmas type edit

Edited: 15/12/2012 at 19:28
15/12/2012 at 19:33

Will be interesting to see how the ASICS forums turn out this year - it's difficult to see how anyone with a full-time job can fulfill their "forum duties" without help!

I sense some pre-schedule nerves beginning to creep in.  In theory I will start my VLM Campaign on Monday (a rest day) - but will see if I can get through tomorrow's planned 14 mile LSR first.

15/12/2012 at 19:55

RFJ - your forum name has a Christmas link anyway. I however, am clearly some kind of humbug. That or I have no imagination and even if I did I wouldn't know how to change my forum name...

Still no running here. I went out for dinner last night, then volunteered at parkrun this morning and spent the rest of the day attempting Christmas shopping. 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.