Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

22,801 to 22,820 of 37,746 messages
20/12/2012 at 19:24

Fraser - there's the North Tyneside 10k on Easter Sunday. I usually do it as part of a long run. It has two short climbs in it, but also a monster downhill. 

Anyone know anything about the English National XC? As in, if I want to enter, how do I do that?

20/12/2012 at 20:09
Loving PMJs quote - the true spirit of Christmas.

In case you think I'm a publicity seeking tart, this is how the MT thing happened: I was out for a run with Tony ("Trials") Audenshaw whom I hadn't seen for ages. Inevitably we talked about our respective running successes and failures, and unknown to me he suggested to MT an item about how to reinvent your training and how to get faster as a vet. I said OK as (a) Tom and Martin are good guys who have put in a massive effort to create something which motivates people to get fit, and (b) it's not about me, it's about being Mr Average.

So there.

Apologies for traumatising Ebenezer Birch with that pic.
20/12/2012 at 20:25

Trying to keep up.... nearly impossible...

Base going well here, 9m today in 1:10:52, great run despite the rain.... did get some strange looks on the train though, as did a one way trip, (run, to drop something off at a mates house, who lives over the road from the station, so trained it back then picked up my bike that was left at the station last night... good to mix transport....

Take care all

20/12/2012 at 20:58
Nice one Poacher. Personally I think it's rather splendid that you're on MT. I still fully intend to pull your plonker about it though;-)
20/12/2012 at 22:09

Speedy - your club should be able to take care of that for you - but you (they) had best get a move on
English XC

20/12/2012 at 22:31

10M including the Weston Prom Run (5M) for me.  31.46 (I think) which would be a pb by the narrowest of margins (currently 31.47), although this does of course depend on my accuracy in pressing Garmin buttons.  And it's ARC so won't count as a pb on power of 10 in any event.  Splits were a little interesting (6.09, 6.15, 6.24, 6.19 and 6.31, plus a random 8 seconds because Garmin was on autolap and measured it at 5.03M), but I was only overtaken by 2 people so reckon I paced it better than most!  3rd lady but missed out on the prize giving because of the need to do a proper cool down.

Poacher: autograph, please

Speedy: yes, I think clubs organise it, but as I can't make it this year I haven't been paying much attention to the entry procedure.

Blisters    pirate
20/12/2012 at 23:12

Joolska, lovely paced training, the end result is all that matters, and a PB is a PB, even if it's a bit (winky winky) slack by reference to your true capability. I await the summer. Take that as a congratulationary well done from a grumpy grots who can't hold a candle to you.

Ant, the quote of the year awards have got a recent leader of the pack in a late sprint finish. Somebody has also pissed on my carpet.

As for training? I suppose that I'd better think about it. Not done any for ages.

20/12/2012 at 23:14

Good speed there Jools.

Impressive interview Poacher - amazing that you can discover an appetite for speed and short distances after all those marathons and ultras. 

20/12/2012 at 23:39

My apologies, not been on here all week and unlike Fraser i have left all my xmas shopping a bit late...

I see we have another celebrity amongst us too, listened to MT very interesting and very well said.

E(Birch)nezer sorry your still hinderd with injury, hope the new year brings you better luck.

Good to see people clocking up the base miles, agree with earlier post about leaving the MP for a few weeks, but with a race in Jan i have had to include a few quicker session during the week.

Jools very well paced and a pb already,looking good!

Speedy as far as i know your club has to enter a team, i think they need names and there is a club fee, Think its in Sunderland on 23rd Feb.

Edited: 20/12/2012 at 23:42
21/12/2012 at 06:50

Blisters - The Ant abides...

Jools - A well-paced PB? What's not to like?

Birch - Sorry you're still struggling. Try to remain positive, because you will come through this. Best wishes.

Finally got my flat sorted (new parquet flooring), so can actually start to think about (getting loads of top-notch food and drink in for) Christmas. There is the small matter of a 8.4km race tomorrow, though, so I'd better get myself out of the door now and do some miles followed by some strides. Oh, and i do have to go to work this afternoon, but that'll be it till 8th January

21/12/2012 at 07:32

Well done Joolska- wish I was in PB form this time of year. Mince pie form more like.

And at risk of being twatted- beleted birthday greetings PMJ  

Last day at work today.....apart from 2 more  days at Mrs OO's shop  

21/12/2012 at 07:53

Just to be clear, if there is any confusion, I love Christmas cake, Christmas pudding, Christmas cards, turkey and stuffing and my wife has to stop me putting the Christmas tree up in mid November but I can't abide the twisted PC version Happy Hoildays which was thrust down me left, right and centre at the start of this week. Ironic that a country which was founded when religious groups fled should turn its back so much on where it came from.

21/12/2012 at 08:51

Birch - keep positive. We're all rooting for you.
Joolska - well done on the PB and great pacing.
A wee bit early for me to set a MP - but I guess 7:15 m/m would be nice as it's half the pace of my marathon debut
Slow 10 miler for me today, which came out a 8:26 m/m. Just lately, I've been pressing the split button on my watch without checking the times until I finish and average pace is creeping up with no discernable increase in effort

21/12/2012 at 09:14

Joolska - congrats on top running

Poacher - congrats on top interviewing

PMJ - congrats on top yank bashing.  Its a small step till such nonsense is prevalent over here.

Birch - sorry to hear your still struggling

Accidentaly did a second LT session of the week yesterday whilst entering for a club race. Went further and faster with less effort than the first one.

21/12/2012 at 11:21

4.5 mile recovery run for me this morning - wet and muddy.

For anyone planning to indulge in any Christmas festivities, worth having a look at the following

Important health and safety notice

All employees planning to dash through the snow in a one horse open sleigh, going over the fields and laughing all the way are advised that a Risk Assessment will be required addressing the safety of an open sleigh for members of the public.

• This assessment must also consider whether it is appropriate to use only one horse for such a venture, particularly where there are multiple passengers.
  • Please note that permission must also be obtained in writing from landowners before their fields may be entered.
  • To avoid offending those not participating in celebrations, we would request that laughter is moderate only and not loud enough to be considered a noise nuisance.

Benches, stools and orthopaedic chairs are now available for collection by any shepherds planning or required to watch their flocks at night. While provision has also been made for remote monitoring of flocks by CCTV cameras from a centrally heated shepherd observation hut, all users of this facility are reminded that an emergency response plan must be submitted to account for known risks to the flocks.

The angel of the Lord is additionally reminded that, prior to shining his/her glory all around, s/he must confirm that all shepherds are wearing appropriate Personal Protective Equipment to account for the harmful effects of UVA, UVB and the overwhelming effects of Glory.

Following last year’s well-publicised case, everyone is advised that Equal Opportunities legislation prohibits any comment with regard to the redness of any part of Mr R Reindeer. Further to this, exclusion of Mr R Reindeer from reindeer games will be considered discriminatory and disciplinary action will be taken against those found guilty of this offence.

While it is acknowledged that gift-bearing is a common practice in various parts of the world, particularly the Orient, everyone is reminded that the bearing of gifts is subject to Hospitality Guidelines and all gifts must be registered. This applies regardless of the individual, even royal personages. It is particularly noted that direct gifts of currency or gold are specifically precluded, while caution is advised regarding other common gifts such as aromatic resins that may evoke allergic reactions.

Finally, in the recent instance of the infant found tucked up in a manger without a crib for a bed, Social Services have been advised and will be arriving shortly.

Merry Christmas!

21/12/2012 at 11:45

V droll, Lorenzo.

21/12/2012 at 12:42

Nice Lorenzo

Well done Jools

9.25m with a club mate today, its lovey down south, mild and sunny

Take care

21/12/2012 at 13:16
Just been to the docs to ask about injections into my plantar fascia. His counsel was as follows:

Option A: have the injection but there is a risk that it won't get better and may have long term problems as a result (which has seen in more than one case)
Option B: don't have the injection and with time it will definitely get better and there is no risk of long term damage

I've obviously opted for option B

13 weeks - stupid effing thing. I also have a cold. And a hangover from a rather excellent office Christmas party.
21/12/2012 at 17:34

Joe - My wife knows exactly how you feel, she has not ran since the start of September due to PF.............

I have just planed 4 of my 20m runs... all with races, that I will not be racing but using as training runs etc...

10th Feb - Meon Valley Plod 20m off road (will be plodding)
17th Feb - Bramley 20m (5m easy, 5m steady, 5m at mp 5m whatever is in the tank)
03rd Mar - Surrey Spitfire 20m (MP + 60)
16th Mar - Rhayader Round the Lakes 20m  (TBC - but will inc some MP)

take care

21/12/2012 at 17:43

Birch Keep on keeping on.

SJ As above. It will come to an end, it will get better.

Jools Crongrats on a pre schedule PB

Got home late last night, made my connection and my suit case also arrived on the same plane. Most of which was not expected. Up early 9 miles at 8:18 pace. My mind and body was not interested in this run at all. Happy I forced myself through it. The off to sports physio, who stated my calves are a lot better than last time, as I had not long finished a run he would not go as deep as last time. The lying so and so. I can't believe I pay and then thank this person for that!!

Off to the cinema this evening to watch The Muppets Christmas Carol, I believe I am the most excited of the house hold.

I quite like Happy Holidays or Seasons greetings.  

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.