Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

23,021 to 23,040 of 37,213 messages
27/12/2012 at 18:48
Oh and as for shoes. My marathon race shoes are Adidas bostons. Lightweight(ish) but robust enough for those that aren't under 9 stone!
27/12/2012 at 19:40
Up to 105mpw - lol

3.6 for me today, yay!!

Ant, I have a startrac spinning bike and really like it - can work hard on it or nice and easy and kit is rock solid. I've never used a turbo but the cycle gurus have been recommending them on here already.

Speaking of said gurus, thanks for the info on clip on bars - exciting purchase to go and investigate!
27/12/2012 at 19:44

Pleased you are better Keir.  Your thread is really moving on well.  Getting very technical.

Impressive running RJ.  Forgotten how much you run!!

I've got a long way to go before I get to your interview Poacher.  Only just got into October's MT but am catching up quickly.  Should get to you by February.

Hi Gul.  You sound as though you have been going very well recently.  Patience really is a virtue.

For the last VLMs I've used Asics 2160 & 2170s.  Only use DS Trainers (bit heavier than Racers) for intervals and races of 6m or shorter.  I prefer cushioning.

I went to the sales this morning and came back with a pair of Asics 2170 for £45 and Asics Ulterior trail shoes for £50.  First pair of non-road shoes I've ever owned!!  Took them out this afternoon for a gentle 5 miler which took my total to over 1500 for the year. 

27/12/2012 at 20:14
I'm going to try a pair of offroad inov8s at some point over the next few days. Heard good things about them and they have a heel to toe differential grading system marked by chevrons on the back of the heel so you can transition through the various grades of 12,9,6,3,0 mm diff with each purchase -
27/12/2012 at 20:17

Shoes. I've stuck with the same type (Nike Structure Triaxx) - apart from the Suacony Fastwitch which I wear when I'm pretending I can run fast - ever since I was injured and had my orthotics made 4 years ago. No idea if I really need them and their "motion control nonsense" but scared slightly to change them and mess things up. Probably an element of superstition too.

Back to work today but managed to squeeze a session in with 8 * 400m. Nice 10 miler cleared the head yesterday. Think I can vaguely feel the green shoots of some fitness coming back

Good to see you're getting a few miles in again SJ - pain free I assume ??

27/12/2012 at 20:35
Race Jase wrote (see)
 I've also had a c7.5 hour journey up to Manchester today. Something tells me ill be a touch stiff tomorrow. 

Sounds like a fun time ahead RJ (BTW - I am deliberately taking your words out of context until I forgive your reposting of that video! )

I would have thought that if you had orthotics then you would need neutral shoes as the stability ones would over compensate Fraser. Then again, I understand your reasons for not messing with a formula which works.

Glad the sub 2.50 thread is enjoyable. It was a bit scarey at the start, as Fraser noted, there are some heavy weights on there, but nice to see some sub 3 and sub 3.15ers finding a little common ground. It does need more smut though. 

27/12/2012 at 20:48

Keir - Scary with faster runners is good.  I felt the same.  You will improve and get alot of new ideas hopefully from following the faster ones.  Isn't this why we have different PBs and abilities in here (oh and the smut!!!).

Two good sessions there Fraser.

27/12/2012 at 20:57
Your mission - should you accept it Keir - is to chuck a smut bomb or two in to your own thread and thoroughly lower the tone. Where's Windy you need him...

Great to see you posting again Purple Martin
27/12/2012 at 21:07
And you are the man to provide it Keir!

FJW, pain free whilst running (and feeling amazing to be bounding about after such a long layoff) but a bit of discomfort afterwards which either gets a bit worse or better depending on how much stretching goes on after the run. Plan is to ignore the discomfort and run every other day with slow increases in distance and focussing on form & cadence (trying to move to mid-foot) rather than pace. After weeks of low level discomfort which hasn't improved I'm hoping the body will adjust and get better eventually with the extra encouragement.
27/12/2012 at 21:58

Double session for me today. 4* 1 mile on the track, then 4*1km at the club session this evening. Hopefully the pace will benefit my brass monkey efforts.

Off to the Lakes tomorrow for a week of hill work. When I get back I'l be V50....

You are making me feel lazy race jase!

27/12/2012 at 22:19

Hi Race Jase   Will be seeing you at the BM in a few weeks?

For the locals, OO, Poacher, TAR, Fraser, Speedy, Race Jase -  the entries for the Northumberland Coastal Run (14th July) open on 20th January. 

OO which track do you use?

27/12/2012 at 22:47

Two intervals sessions in one day OO? That's proper hardcore, that is!

28/12/2012 at 01:00
Keir, just get your "your knob out" on you sub 2.50 Fred and get some smut out in the open! Like the idea of a smut bomb landing gently and exploding Fraser! Good thread BTW and loving the info/banter Kiwr. Would hope that some of it will make a difference.
OO - you are hardcore!
Had a bit of an eventful few days recently. Fell into my front door last week (thanks to wet undone laces) and think I cracked a rib. Then on Xmas eve I tripped on a wire spring mattress that some gypo had left on the pavement (pictures on Facebook). Bleeding has stopped, but rib is still tender. Still managed to go out running (just) although the left lung is still a bit tender.
Edited: 28/12/2012 at 01:02
28/12/2012 at 06:44

Clip-on aero bars? Tasty. As for shoes, I'm trialling a pair of aldi specials...
RJ - oh dear, sounds like you've been slacking a bit
KR - nasty; take care of yourself now.
Good running everyone  and hats off to OOlg for 2 speed sessions in Christmas week!
Another slow 10 miles @ 8:26m/m this morning.

28/12/2012 at 08:55
Crikey KR, take care of yourself!

Gul nice early morning running from you.

Minni - yes I am doing BM so look forward to seeing you then.

Oo - hardcore indeed! How are the legs today?

Nice training from FW too.
28/12/2012 at 13:23
Inov8 Trailroc 255s purchased this am Going to head out into the hills tomorrow!

Tri bars identified, awaiting permission from the FD to click on "checkout"
28/12/2012 at 14:10

10M for me including club session of 4 x 1500m; pace on the 1500s nothing to write home about (6.20s-6.30/mile) but they were run on very soggy, muddy grass - even in spikes my footing wasn't great!  Didn't really need to do a session, but this was our Christmas/New Year social session, which is followed by soup, mince pies and mulled wine; for me that was the main draw

28/12/2012 at 18:55

KR - Take it easy and keep your eyes peeled - these things can come in threes.

Ant - a startrac or a kettler racer is what I narrowed it down to. Bought akettler in the end as it was cheaper than a startrac on ebay - Paid about £200 inc delivery. display is ok but no read out for resistance.

10 mile for me this morning at 8.15 with heart rate in low 130s after agentle 5 yesterday which fortunately got the horror show out of my head from the day before.  5 mile recovery tomorrow

28/12/2012 at 19:39

Be careful KR; these things have a habit of coming in threes.

Another easy 5 miles for me this morning around local sodden park.  Ran in my new trail shoes which was a good job as most of the paths were under water and the grass waterlogged.  Very interesting for someone who rarely ventures off road!!!

28/12/2012 at 19:49

Martin - will you be purple at this years VLM or are you going all serious?

Rest day today so I went spinning this morning.   Tomorrow I'm venturing to the city for a parkrun then on Sunday I'm running the winter coastal (get the kettle on Poacher if you're about) with a certain Speedy Goth type.

I will end the week on about 60 miles and 6 bottles of wine.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.