Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

23,101 to 23,120 of 37,862 messages
01/01/2013 at 18:18

Just to prove that the girls really are tough, 14 miles for me on undulating Devonian roads this morning.  Bit lung busting at times, but it cleared the head

Well run, Minni and Gul - delighted to hear you didn't let us down by getting up at 10am or something more human...  Very impressed that Speedy attempted intervals - although I didn't feel too bad this morning I wouldn't have wanted to have been doing really fast running.

01/01/2013 at 18:28

Intervals, HM pace and three racers. Not the quiet start to the year I was expecting.

11 miles for me. Not pretty but done. A few niggles here and there, but nothing of concern.

01/01/2013 at 20:49
Quality racing already - it is going to be an epic year!
01/01/2013 at 21:05
Happy new year to one and all.
Back from a wedding away and am feeling quite fat.
I see everyone else is putting me to shame with great long runs and races.
Will try harder I promise!

Here's to a successful PB and injury free 2013.....
01/01/2013 at 21:21

Jezza, Minni and Blisters well done on your races

Parkrun double here at Andover (21:07) in very wet and boggy conditions followed by 20:04 at Newbury but the legs were a tad tired to get a sub 20 as planned... still just under 8m for the day and some good strength and speed done.

Take care and Happy New Year to you all

TR
01/01/2013 at 21:32

The girls are indeed showing the way, great to see.

Blisters - nice to see you back to racing and getting a bit competitive with the youngsters. Are you still doing Gloucester mara ?

I did 12M myself today.

01/01/2013 at 23:00

Mixed fortunes today. Pleased for you Blisters, that run will give you confidence and motivation. Was that a local race Minni, sounds fun and congrats on the podium.

My run up Skiddaw started at 7:30am in the dark from Keswick, after some beer and bubbly the night before, but still felt OK. I put on several layers which made the first climb out of Keswick uncomfortable and sweaty. Then a flat section from gale road car park before the big climb up the steepest section of Skiddaw. After that the route evens out with a steady climb to the summit. I walked on the steepest sections but then ran to the summit. As I got closer to the top in the cloud, conditions deteriorated with sheet ice underfoot and bitter gale force cross wind. It was more scary than physically demanding. In the end I had crouch down and eventually go on hands and knees at the very summit to avoid falling or being blown over. It took me 1 hour 20 from Keswick to the summit, dreadful for a 5 mile run, but this included a few stops and some walking. At the top I sheltered in a Cairn for 10 minutes to regain composure before the descent. I must admit it was pretty terrifying. Visibility was about 30 ft with limited light even at 9am, and not another sole around. But I was the first person at the top in 2013 so a great sense of achievement. A run I've planned for months and worried about for days.      

01/01/2013 at 23:03
Happy new year to all

No running for me but great to see Minni off on her way with a few dozen hardcore fell nutters. I suppose I'll be giving it a bash in 364 days' time

Great racing from Blisters proving the old dog can still do it

Nice stuff from Jezza and RFJ too

Spent the day eating - time to get some proper training done methinks
01/01/2013 at 23:10

The descent was easy and done in half the time. Time to enjoy the views and reflect on the first day of a new year. Not my best time for running up Skiddaw and not even my toughest run this holiday, but the sense of danger and isolation make it a stand out experience. Today we went on a long family walk (another 8 miles) so my legs feel pretty tired now. 5 mile recovery run planned for the morning then my 50th birthday on the 3rd Jan.

I would guess 2000 miles for 2012. Highlights were the VLM, finally breaking 3 hours and couple of Vet and course PB's through the year. No great running plans for 2013. The main challenge will be preparing to work in Geneva from April- not sure what that will do to my running but nothing positive I expect.  

02/01/2013 at 06:38

Minni - good fell race; shame you missed the prize.
Keir - great MLR; looking promising.
Speedy - well done for even attempting intervals!
SJ - nice day for a run in the woods; no bears?
Moof - well done on managing to get 11 miles in.
Blisters - fantastic racing; great start to the New Year.
AR - pleased to hear all seems well.
SBD - good running.
Jezza - great 10k and just think - it took that youngster 6 miles to catch you!
Jools - sounds like a lovely run for New Year's Day.
SD - nice one; just be careful.
EFC-Col - hope you get the PBs and no injuries.
RFJ - good going on tired legs.
TR - good miles for New Year's Day.
OOlg - that does sound scary; well done. For a minute, I thought you were going to say it was brilliant sunshine at the top! Take care now.
FW - good carb-loading.
3 mile recovery run for me this morning @ 8:56 m/m.

02/01/2013 at 08:39

OO: I ducked out of some scrambling on Dartmoor yesterday and on the 30th because I had an attack of the wibbles.  Just completely lost my nerve (and although it was a bit slippy and windy conditions weren't really that bad).  Yours sounds like a pretty magic experience, though, and worth toughing out.  First at the summit!

Off for my last run in Devon in a bit and then heading back to Bristol.

02/01/2013 at 09:24

Happy New Year Everyone!

I hope everyone is running well.  I just came back from SA and certainly am happy that Comrades is a winter race.  Summer is hot at 30-35C daytime temps. I got heatstroke after 2 of my runs, frequently had to 'adopt a run/walk strategy' even on short runs and even got up to run at first light.  Just too hot for me.  And there's also the lightening storms - you definently don't want to be caught out in one of those as there is a lot of ground stikes and around 2 cows a year are killed on the farm by lightening.

I've been running on dirt roads.  Some are soft and sandy and a real pleasure to run and they range up to rocky and cambered which are much more trickly.  I came home with a minor achilles twinge from running on a stony and hilly dirt road last Thursday so I've taken the week off from running and got the weights and kettelbell from the garage - need to do more strength training anyway.

Finally got home after a 14 hour flight delay to discover my fridge freezer had failed - there are many nicer things than cleaning up after one of those.  And then I climbed on the scales.....

Happy running all

02/01/2013 at 09:24

Impressive stuff on the hills from OO and Minni - sounds as though conditions were a bit wild!

Also envious of Jools yomping around the Devon hills.

RFJ - how did you manage a parkrun double? Clearly different times of the day, but that's some effort to hop in the car and head from one to the other.

I've got the rest of the week off so had plenty of time to get out for 10 miles this morning. Not quite in the fell runners' league, but a few ups and downs to get my teeth into.

02/01/2013 at 09:26

Bike It - x-post. Welcome back!! Not great news on the freezer (I know what it's like!) and I hope the Achilles isn't too serious, but sounds as though you had an interesting time in SA.

02/01/2013 at 09:52

OO and Minni are well hard - nails, some would say.

Great racing from Blisters and Jezza, earning respect from the local yoof.

Welcome back, Bike It.

After my race on NYE I had a day off () yesterday, and then dragged myself out this morning for what I hoped would be a nice, easy 10-miler. Howver, I felt rubbish all the way round and after 5.5 miles I'd had enough. Can I please just lie in front of Season Three of The Sopranos? I'm tired...and it's only 2nd January!

02/01/2013 at 11:08

Ant - I am so sorry I missed your chicken and cow race.  Sounds like fun?!!  And no, this is no time for rest...

OO - it was the Simonside Hills.  Your journey up Skiddaw sounds impressive, if a little scary.  Great way to start the New Year.

Right, today's schedule said 8m easy.  I decided to run completely to feel (FW style).  Started my garmin and tucked it away under my rain jacket - yes its raining again.   Out and back to a point that I knew was roughly 4 miles away.  I wanted to make sure I kept it in conversational pace so did a few bouts of singing out load to my ipod  its ok there was nobody about.

Result - 8.5m @ 7:32 which is faster than my previous marathon pb and almost bang on MP training pace.    Celebrated by changing into my fell shoes and doing another 2.5 in the hills with the dogs - very slow bringing it to 11 for the day.

02/01/2013 at 11:47

Ant - Vito & Pussy both used to be slim and fit - then they took one day off running and look what happened. Get out there.

Nice effort Minni, setting a good example to Ant

02/01/2013 at 12:41
Just popping in to say Happy New Year.
2012 no races entered therefore none ran. Mileage pretty p*$$ poor.
Will pull myself together and pop in more often to motivate me for the 2013 Perth Marathon.
Bike-it I can empathise with it being too bloody hot and lightning storms as it is all I seem to encounter here in the sunburnt country 'oz' at the moment.

Just returned from a 30min or so jaunt after work in a rather balmy 36 degrees, after spending the afternoon sweating buckets playing around with some nuts and tight flanges out in the bush (literally true!). (Keir/Fraser that was for your benefit)
Wanted to stop and walk but to use an old sage's advice 'to chuck a grenade under it' and suppose the opposite was true (thanks Poacher), perhaps dying on my ass is actually good for me......
As you were.
02/01/2013 at 13:02

Impressive racing Minni (and more impressive stuff today as well), Jezza & Blisters.  Always good to start the year off well.

80 minutes for a 5 miler OO; what are you playing at???  Really pleased that after such a harsh ascent that you were the first person up there.  Well done.

Sounds like a tough but enjoyable run Jools.

Good to see you back to posting early doors Gul.

Welcome home Bike-It.  I'm sure you'll soon be missing the 30-35 degree temperatures.  Fingers crossed your achilles is better soon.

Ant - Now is the time to take a break if you need it.  Early doors and a couple of runs missed won't harm anything in the long run.  Actually just trying to make myself feel less guilty about not being able to run today as back at work!!!

02/01/2013 at 13:28

Happy New Year everyone - Shame this is still not an Olympic year!

Looks like I have got a bit of a catch up read to do on here. Not been running much as I'm still feeling the effects of what I thought was a cracked rib and turned out to be some kind of pulled muscle on the lungs/rib cage. Coupled together with falling over a wire mattress frame on Xmas Eve my legs have felt a bit tendor too. Just about made 30 miles for last week and mara training starts next Monday, so a bit disappointed on the build up.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.