Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

23,181 to 23,200 of 37,172 messages
02/01/2013 at 14:07

Pull yourself together Windy. I know there are some lovely runs around Fremantle. No excuses!

02/01/2013 at 16:22

Well hello people and a very Happy New Year to you.

I thought that I'd make a bit of a reappearance being that it's new year and all... and 16weeks to VLM.

2012 has been a hectic year for me so not been able to post here as much as I'd have liked but I have been lurking a little here and also on Keirs new thread, which I am enjoying greatly - some lively debate already. And good to see a lot of the old faces still around.

I have been running though (between a bit of illness and injury) and that seems to be going ok, albeit I had grand aspirations to be a little further on with my campaign than I am but things could be worse. I won't bore you with the details but I'll try and blog again soon.

The short story is that I've managed to get a ballot place in VLM this year - I won't be nailing on a time as yet other than to say I'll be looking for at least 3:09:59.

Also, being a P&D fan for some years now it may suprise a few to hear that actually I'm going to mix it up a bit this year and try something new.   I was given for my birthday last year Paula R's new book which although quite simplistic in some areas there are a couple of nice plans in it including a 16week "fast marathon" plan. I've studied this plan and it seems quite sensible so I'm going to use it as a general blueprint. Intersestingly I've not found much comment on the book on these boards (not sure if that is a good or bad thing!). I'll try and put up a few more details over the next few days but as a basic principal it seems to have a good mix of distance work with some longer interval sessions. No weekly mileage in the plan given but totting up the sessions it's generally about 50-60 with some higher weeks probably topping out at around 75. It also has prescribed gym sessions in the plan for core/weights etc which is a new one on me.

Oh and I've aleady swapped out one of her weekly sessions with a 10m progression run... I wonder where that idea came from?! 

So, will do a mega read back of the last week or so now. But in the mean time - keep running!

02/01/2013 at 16:41

Windy Welcome back and keep posting

Bike it  As above

Fingers As above

Minni Mightily impressive run today

OO Great, if slightly scary, achievement

In solidarity with Ant I decided to not risk a run too. Not being lazy, being sensible.

02/01/2013 at 16:46

Come on Scooby, get your a**e out of the door. I'm going for a six-miler later, once I've done the Three Kings shopping. It's like Christmas shopping, you just have more time to worry about it.

02/01/2013 at 18:00
Happy new year all.

Great race report Blisters, must have felt good to smash your random target!

Nice to see you popping in Jezza. Well done on the solid time.

My miles were about 400 down on last year after a relatively lazy oct, nov, December. Also as there was no autumn marathon meant lower mileage anyway. Finished on 2921. I expect it'll be north of 3500 this year though.

Pleasing to get a solid week of 84 miles last week, including a 17 with 8@5:41s. no idea how I kept that pace at Edinburgh the whole way as I was proper blowing at the end. This year has got off to a good start 29 miles in the bag already.

Windy, great to see you popping in. As a civil engineering graduate I still chuckle when I look back to my university days where I was forever 'considering the flange'.
02/01/2013 at 18:04
I feel like I've gone back in time with the return of Jezza's racing, Windy's innuendos and FINgers eulogising about P&D. Where's MM gone?

FINgers - sounds like we need another meet up on the streets of London to pace each other round to 3:09:59. I'm up for it if you are. Trust you'll be sticking around here between now and April.

Ant - hope the shopping went well. Presumably gold, incense and myrrh shops were doing a good trade.
Edited: 02/01/2013 at 18:05
02/01/2013 at 18:09
Lorenzo wrote (see)
I feel like I've gone back in time with the return of Jezza's racing, Windy's innuendos and FINgers eulogising about P&D. Where's MM gone?
I did speak to MM just before Xmas. I know he's not running at the moment, but has lurked occassionally.

02/01/2013 at 18:45

Lorenzo - It was freezing gold and I got incensed, so it was myrrhder.Still, job done.

02/01/2013 at 18:47

Yes it was scarey up there Joolska. Plenty of people have died on Skiddaw over the years and I think I felt their spirits . 4 mile recovery today, calves a bit tight.

Just a few pre 50 hours left

02/01/2013 at 19:24

Windy / Bike It and FINgers welcome back to the fold

Lorenzo Andover was at 0900 and Newbury was at 1000, and yes was very tight, and is only do able on New Years Day.... as parkrun allow events to be held at either 0900 or 1000 so with a bit of planning and arm twisting with RD's doubles can be achieved.... its good fun but quite hard too as well.

OO - Sounds a great achievment, something that I could not do as cannot cope with sheer drops / knife-edges unless tied off

02/01/2013 at 21:39

Hello to FINgers , Windy (great to see you can still rub people up the wrong way without coming to a sticky end) and Bike It

Pull your fingers out Ant and Scooby - no laziness will be tolerated on here- think I'm chanelling Minni

Scary sounding mileage RJ - I'm sure you'll do it though

5 miles today in the wind on the fells - does that count as nails hard too ?? Prbably not eh...

02/01/2013 at 21:43
Happy new year all, I've been following this forum for some time and have eventually updated my membership so that I can become part of it!! Usually through jan/feb I loose a little motivation and focus in my VLM attempt and then disappointed in my performance, am hoping that you guys might be able to help keep me on track.
Start to 2013 has not gone to plan, unwell yesterday due to excessive alcohol consumption and woken today with head cold and cough so thought best to leave it another day, So feeling a little concerned after reading everyone's great runs and efforts two days in to the new year
Aims for 2013 is break 3hrs in VLM, managed 3.13 this year and have recently broken 40mins for 10k, hoping that puts me in a better position to reach my A target?!
02/01/2013 at 21:48

Can I pop in? I think 3:15 might be a bit a ambitious for me but did 3:25 last year (twice) so need another target. I've 2 spring marathons - one in April where my target will be at least 4 hrs, then Edinburgh in May for a target of 3:15. Good (though slow) run today around Edinburgh hill for 20 miles.

Hope everyone off to a good start for 2013?

Blisters    pirate
02/01/2013 at 22:23

Welcome aboard Trigs and HH. Some of the performance improvements are best achieved over a longer time frame than 16 weeks. The 52 week plan is a good programme, but the 104 is better.

Of course there's no substitute for blind optimism and simple faith. But some training helps.

(Ratrun 6.6 miles trotted out gently. I must have been in the zone, as I can't remember great chunks)

02/01/2013 at 22:41

Lovin the avatar Hillheader

02/01/2013 at 22:42

Hi to everyone new, old, past and present.

Here is a question for you guys. Thinking back, and looking forward, I want to find a better way to do interval session (currently run on a flat concrete path). I think intervals is one of the main contributors I have had to injury / niggles and I'm not looking forward to them because of this. The local running track is more like a sandpit in the winter. I know I could do intervals on soft ground, but I'd like the surface to be consistent over the weeks.

Do any of you do interval sessions on Treadmills. Is the session as effective as outdoors? Good idea or bad idea? Discuss

Blisters    pirate
02/01/2013 at 23:26

Dreadmills are pure torture. I think that if you pitch your pace expectations accurately, then you can get more benefit out of the treddie than the pure road. I'd suggest that you avoid the short reps (below 400m) as these are about bursting speed for a sprint, and may be too fast for the mill.
After a mile warm up, try:
1200 at HM pace 400 jog (9m/m?)
say 5 of these and a mile jog warm down. That makes 7 miles and a lot of sweat.

It could be that you aren't ready for the HM pace as a fast zone just yet, kick off with Mara pace, which is still plenty for a midweek. It's best to finish the session feeling that you can turn up the heat next time than not finish it, or finish having wrecked the rest of the week. The key aim is for consistent pace zones, and that first one should feel as though you could indeed finish the set.

I think that treddie sessions are actually better for the heart than the extreme approach of nail it/stop/nail it/stop because the heart doesn't want to over-speed during the stop phases. Seriously.

Environmental comfort will be key to the treddie set up.

02/01/2013 at 23:40
Cheers for the welcome backs...

Lorenzo - indeed - I'm warming up the 3:09 vlm train engine already... It was fun last time wasn't it?!
03/01/2013 at 05:17
Thanks Blisters, I have been training steadily since Berlin Marathon where I got 3.20 with very little training and a very nice progressive run, managed to get faster every 5k, last 5k was pretty quick for me. Long runs are the key ingredient that has been missing since but am hoping to get going again as soon as I get rid of cold. I am hoping that by joining the thread I will be embarrassed not to stick with training as so many on here are hardcore!
Do many people cross train with weights? I have added a core session to training and am also currently doing a spinning session a week but am doing no strength or conditioning work, what are people's thoughts on this?
03/01/2013 at 06:47

Bike It - welcome back; hope the niggle clears up quickly.
Lorenzo - enjoy the rest of your holiday.
Minni - good, confidence-boosting run; looking good.
Windy - good to hear from you; sounds like you have a good excuse for not racing in those conditions.
KR - hope you can get into the swing of things this week.
FINgers - welcome back; sounds like an interesting schedule; give us all the gory details soon.
RJ - 29 miles already?!
Ant - keep up the terrible puns.
OOlg - just think of all those new category PBs and trophies you might claim!
Welcome to akatrigs and Hillheader too. I'm sure you'll get lots of good advice round here, though probably not from me (see below).
AR - sorry, not a dreadmill man myself. I run my intervals on tarmac paths. All I can add to Blisters' advice is to do a longer warm-up (I usually do 3 miles) and some stretching.
It was great to get downt the park this morning and do some intervals. 5 x 400m with long recoveries (400m) at a relaxed 5:14 m/m. 7 miles in total. 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.