Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

23,181 to 23,200 of 38,324 messages
04/01/2013 at 07:15

OOlg - happy birthday for yesterday.
Apologies for the flying visit; I'll try and read back later. A bit late today as I did a 13 miler this morning @ 8:58 m/m; now rushing to get ready for work.

04/01/2013 at 08:25

I've been wanting to update the software in my garmin (310XT) for a while now as it some time takes too long to aquire the satellites and mysteriously looses the battery charge overnight occasionally.  So I followed the Garmin instructions and downloaded the 'web updater'... wait ages....installed it.....took ages and then it can't find my device....can't find my device.....can't find my device.

A little search later it seems that this 'web updater' is just plain problematic for most people.  So if you want to update your garmin you have to find the page that looks like:

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/store/fr310update.jsp

Once I did that with my device connected it took 10 minutes to update the software.  If you do this please be aware that all your run data and setting are erased so you need to make sure all is uploaded to the server before you do it. Now I've got to put all my setting back in.  Hopefully my Garmin problems should be gone and I can spend a few more minute running instead of 'Locating Satellites....'

04/01/2013 at 08:59

Morning All,

Rest day in the plan today but perhaps an easy 4 at lunchtime (I've promised a workmate that I'd go out with them).

Bike It - I have the 310XT and have been through the same drama. Never really got on with it to be honest - the touch bevel just annoys me and I seem to spend ages waiting for sat lock. I'm currently toying with the idea of a replacement and really like the look of the 910XT  but blimey it's a lot of wonga so need to really justify it.

In the mean time I'm actually using the Garmin Fit app on my iphone - no HR data but actually works quite well and integrates to garmin connect well.

04/01/2013 at 09:10

Now that really winds me up - how did wonga get a link inserted to a morally questionable money lending site without any help from me.

Edited: 04/01/2013 at 09:16
04/01/2013 at 09:51

Good early miles there Gul - what's your next Big Target Race?

Interesting info on the 310XT BikeIt - mine seems to be working fine but I'm only on version 3.20 of the software and there seems to have been lots of subsequent bug fixes and enhancements.  Should I risk updating?

Edited: 04/01/2013 at 09:52
04/01/2013 at 10:31
Today's my last day's holiday before I start the new job on Monday and I need to get younger Lorenzito to a XC race early tomorrow morning, so decided to bring forward the long run to this morning.

Ended up being a tough one because of the hilly sections, but I tagged on a little loop at the end to bring it up to 20 miles, so that's the first 20 miler of the spring campaign done and dusted for me.

I'm also in a bit of a dilemma about the ideal tune up race in March. Unfortunately I didn't get my act together and the Fleet and Reading HMs are both full, so I'm left the following options:

- do a fast but dull (4 laps of Dorney Lake) HM. Advantage of this is that it will give a good benchmark as to where I am vs sub 3:10 target for VLM, but it's not the most enjoyable of runs and at 28 quid it's pricey.

- do a not so flat HM. More enjoyable, better value but more difficult to correlate the result with where I want to be.

- do another distance, possibly the Maidenhead Easter 10 or a 15/16 mile race.

Any thoughts from people as to the ideal race plan 3-5 weeks out?
04/01/2013 at 10:33
FINgers - just noticed from your profile that you're in Surrey. Whereabouts exactly?
04/01/2013 at 10:43

SBD - I had version 2.6 software which seems to be a rather early version.  I've now got 4.5 as the most recent.  I really wanted to get improvements to GPS aquisition and also eliminate the 'overnight power loss'.  I haven't used it enough to know whether these 2 things are improved really - will report back in a few weeks.  If you don't have any noticable problems then I wouldn't suggest and reason to update your software.

Fingers - 910XT only advantage is recording swim info for triatheletes I think otherwise the spec is the same as the 310XT

04/01/2013 at 10:44

Lorenzo - Check out the Lydd Half marathon.  A smallish field but a fast course ...

Thanks Bike It - I may stay as I am until I notice any problems!

Edited: 04/01/2013 at 10:46
04/01/2013 at 10:52

Lorenzo - currently I live near Wallington (Beddington), basically between Sutton and Croydon. But we are looking to move house at the moment - not exactly sure where to but will be on a commuter line into Waterloo. From either Winchester or Petersfield but that is as far out as I will go.

04/01/2013 at 10:54
Lorenzo, my only comment on Dorney, is that, flat as it is, you can get some pretty high headwinds on one of the long stretches. If you are looking for even pacing, the weather on the day may scupper you. I ran round their in Feb last year. It was dull, but I learn't a fair bit from the run.
04/01/2013 at 11:14
Bike It wrote (see)

Fingers - 910XT only advantage is recording swim info for triatheletes I think otherwise the spec is the same as the 310XT

Yes my mistake - Ive got the 405CX.
Does the 310XT do the job as looks like its a fair bit cheaper?

Blisters    pirate
04/01/2013 at 11:26

Wow.
HB to OO and Ant was it?
Fantastic 20 there Jools. I was toast after doing one at 8:30m/m, and you post 7:59m/m. Respect.
Plan is for me to do a 20 miler this morning, and back for lunch. However, a quick 30 mins in the kitchen became an hour, and then the almighty hit the fan: the washing machine broke. I've just finished fixing it.
That means I'll have to do my 20miles at 1:30m/m, or adjust my target completion.

04/01/2013 at 11:28

FINgers: it looks like RW have joined forces with certain companies such as Adidas to make their names become automatic links to the products in question.  Not sure I'm a great fan.

04/01/2013 at 11:32
Joolska wrote (see)

FINgers: it looks like RW have joined forces with certain companies such as Adidas to make their names become automatic links to the products in question.  Not sure I'm a great fan.

Mmm, Adidas - sportswear, so I can kind of get that, but money lending at 1000000% APR (representative)...... a bit more questionable.

04/01/2013 at 11:52

Birch,DS2 Hi.....

Ok only ever done 1 HM in 1hr.33 min back in March, never done a 10k race but im down to about 41 atm on training runs.

Im 29 years old and do lots of Road and Mtb and have ticked over running wise 15-35 mpw depending if i was training for a Marathon etc.

I have been running for the last 2 years injury free, generally off up to 3 runs and a few bike rides of up to 60 miles all varying with weather and life commitments.

In the last few weeks i have been running 3-4 runs around 32 miles that consist something like this

run 1 - 8 miles @ 7.20 ish  

run 2- 8 miles @  6.50 ish

run 3 - 16-18 miles @ 7.50 ish ran progressive finishing faster than MP

And maybe a optional run around 7- 8 miles at MP                                                                     

Blisters wrote (see)

Evening All. Especially the knowledgeable and experienced TR.
Hello to Carbloader, I see that you have an interesting approach to race preparation. This shows to me that you are not a sheep, but like to challenge the perceived wisdom. That's a characteristic in many of the very best athletes. However, there's a lot of experience held by the sheep. When you reach a performance plateau, that's the time to trash the existing training regime and review what's missing.
FWIW, I think that your programme is typical of a certain type of athlete. You've certainly got the pyhsical capability of achieving sub 3:00, let alone 3:15. The speed is fine, but speed builds lactic acid, and is combatted by lactic threshold training. But before that stage you need the basic raw endurance. That's where the current gap can be seen, and it's a major gap. Endurance. TR suggests the simple edict of more miles per week. The key run in any marathon programme is the 20 miler. The biking you have done recently is a good basis, but nothing at all in the world can replace the 20 miler. Funny things happen in the later stages of a marathon.
I know someone who did 3 fast marathons in consecutive seasons, then under trained and delivered an impressive crash boom 1:30/2:00 split.

Hi guys n Gals, bit of an update for you.

Got the milage up to around 40 mpw now and feeling good,although i think i still need to add that medium long run though. Im not going to do a P&D or any other plan as i think its a bit too restrictive as i like to just go out and do a session depending on how im feeling bar the long run which i have to prepare for time wise etc.

Got a garmin 310 for crimbo so that has helped loads too, lots better than running with an iphone strapped to the arm.

Did a 53 mile road ride at a fairly brisk 18.3 mph avg and now out on my log run of around 17 miles, not sure how the legs will hold up lol.

Anyway enough babble from me........Happy running

04/01/2013 at 12:09

Blisters - Thanks for the thought, but in fact no b'day for me - though I do feel more than a year older than I did a year ago...

Lorenzo - How about the Santander HM on 3rd march? You know you'd love to!

Minni - Can't you just watch those spinning DVDs on YouTube?

Slokey - Interestingly, I've been waiting for the "is this for you or for me?" beast to rear its ugly head, but so far it hasn't. 

Sensational weather over here, 2-3ºC first thing in the mornings but not a cloud in sight. Great for running, so 8 miles done today following on from 8.5 yesterday. Even did two of those hill sprints - actually quite good fun!

Starting to feel that higher mileage (at least sufficient to get myself on a Marathon start line in adequate shape) is going to be possible.

04/01/2013 at 13:18

Lorenzo - I'd love to get Mrs GD into running, but I think the best I could hope for is her cycling while I run. See anything good at the theatre?
Bike It - enjoyed doing hill sprints last year, but there's only one hill within a reasonable distance and it's on a main road in darkness outside of daylight hours, so a big no-no this time of year. Wise move to play it safe.
Keir - interesting reading your thread, but no time to de-lurk.
Mennania - hop ethe visit to the fizz went OK.
SBD - clocking up some good mileage.
Jools - nice LSR and stonking mileage. Good luck at the XC championships. I did my "long" run today; not sure why, actually.
Martin - they were planned as relaxed, but "slightly tense" would probably be a better description! Do I detect the mara target creeping down already
OOlg - sounds like a lovely way to spend the day.
FINgers - don't sweat it; sounds like lots of factors working against you there.
Ant - looks like one of those drop-leaf tables.
FW - sounds like a good session.
Minni - slowest? I don't think so.
SJ - a good day's work.
RFJ - nice track session.
Birch - like the 3-2-1 session. My pacing is all over the place at the moment after weeks of the slow stuff.
Bike It / FINgers - sorry, you've lost me with all that garmin-talk.
SBD - target this year is a sub 40 10k in May and a sub 90 HM in October.
Lorenzo - 20 miler in the bag! Good luck with the new job.

04/01/2013 at 13:34

Wow, Gul takes the dutiful readback award!  I don't think you've missed a thing!

04/01/2013 at 13:37

Have just come back from a 'Jools' (aka 20m week day run). 2hr35min - 7.45m/m. Hilly. 

I have the 310xt. Also noticed it took ages to find sats and new updates seem to have helped. If it ain't broke, don't risk trying to fix it SBD. Lorenzo - Lydd is flat and fast so long as there is no wind (it is on the exposed Romney Marsh) I did my pb there last year. 

Off to kidz planet - indoor play centre. Should be good for some post run intervals / bending and stretching. 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.