Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

23,201 to 23,220 of 38,327 messages
04/01/2013 at 13:43

Very impressed you fix your own washing machine Blisters. Don't think we can class that as cross training though. Home from the Lakes now. Hoping to squeeze in a few PM miles before a few B/day beers with my running pals.

You must have a very organised mind Gul

04/01/2013 at 13:52

Jools - dutiful? It's a joy
Keir - nice one.
OOlg - sorry, you've lost me there!

04/01/2013 at 14:54

Fingers - Yes I rate the 310XT - it does everything I want and is reliable. The plus points are a large capacity battery that would last the whole of an ultra marathon, it is waterproof which is ideal for just regular running in the UK and easy to switch mode to cycling.

Is Friday the new Sunday?  I've quite lost my orientation of where I am in the week  with all these 20 milers happening

04/01/2013 at 15:21
Blisters - mending one of those is more impressive than any run

Re 310XT - mine is virtually new with software 4.5, works well but the virtual opponent is over complocated (or I'm stupid)? Long battery life is a real bonus.

Ant - tell her it's a Laura Ashley or Cath Kidston radiator cover from El B y El Q or Juan Lewis. She wont suspect a thing.

Nice long runs happening. Couple of hard days here, yesterday 5m in the morning then evening track session of 8m inc. 5x1m @ about 6.10mm. Then 21.2 this am @ 8.10. Legs a bit tired now.

"Carry on everybody, you've all done very well"
04/01/2013 at 15:56

Actually, she came in and went "Oh, I see my exercise bike has arrived."

I am amazed at some of the mileage you lot are putting in. Poacher, your legs are a bit tired? Hmm, wonder why that is?

04/01/2013 at 16:17

Just stockpiling some miles as there's an ultra on Saturday week then spending rest of month abroad and unlikely to be able to train meaningfully. Presumably MrsAnt will spend the rest of the month watching you monopolise the bike thing.

Blisters    pirate
04/01/2013 at 16:17

Carbloader, that’s the spirit. 50 miles on the bike, 17 in the legs, and a proper mileage week. Are you going to be keeping the bike miles going as the target marathon approaches? There are a few who do the biking as well, but time and energy wise it can take out a session that  could have been used for running.

Gul, I noticed that you slipped in a mention of your 20 miler. Well done.
Poacher, another impressive 20, and 8:10m/m is worth a mention.
Jools, worthy of two mentions for that 7:59m/m.

OK chaps and chapesses, I did manage to get out for 21.6 miles, the last 3 felt OK, despite being uphill, so I worked the pace. Then I started to realise that I might make it home inside 3 hours. That little figure was a blast from the past. With an effort, I stopped the clock at 2:59:57. That made 8:20m/m. Happy.

04/01/2013 at 16:36

Blisters- Yeah im going to keep the miles the up on the bike regardless,maybe even increase!!. I enjoy cycling as much as running but running takes more time to keep your fitness at a certain level, where as i can stay prettty fit on the bike of 1 hard 50 miler etc

04/01/2013 at 17:13

Great effort Blisters - Mr Fixit and a 20 miler on one day. 

Ant - what was your reply to Mrs Ant?

Battery life on a Garmin - I've got a 305 and never had a problem when doing an Ultra.

Gul Darr wrote (see)

Lorenzo - I'd love to get Mrs GD into running, but I think the best I could hope for is her cycling while I run. See anything good at the theatre?

Cycling's good as well - John O'Groats to Lands End together?

We saw "The Children and Animals Took to the Streets" - very innovate, rather bizarre but one of those productions that you remember. Having started the day with a tour at the National Gallery and finished with a Cambodian meal, it was certainly a varied and packed itinerary!!!

04/01/2013 at 17:20

I was only planning on 18m tomorrow. Feel like I am the thread wimp!

04/01/2013 at 17:30
Don't worry Also-ran, you're way ahead of me - I've got 10 tomorrow and my LSR is a measly 15m on Sunday.
04/01/2013 at 17:37

Yes, AR, I agree with FINgers. I'm doing 6 tomorrow and then 13-14 on Sunday. That would make a 45-mile week, which is where I want to be at this stage. It's early doors, so no point in burning too many matches too soon.

Lorenzo - I said I hadn't realised, but that I did think I'd heard the sound of camel hoofs in the night.

04/01/2013 at 17:50

Some superb efforts going on. Was it a 2p in the pump Blisters? I did 4.6 this morning at 9m/m  Going to build up to 12 tomorrow at slow pace again.  AR - deferred the VO2 max and LT test due to leg being niggly but have got them calling me back on Monday to rearrange. Am looking forward to it with some trepidation.

The shoes I was looking at seemed to be speedy and shorter distance stuff (upto 10m) so maybe not - but at 50 notes it might be worth a go for half marathons and progressive runs? Need some suggestions for a good neutral shoe please.

TR
04/01/2013 at 18:31

I'm only up to 16M so far too (I'm only just back into double digit run length). The 20s can wait til February, I'm still saving matches not burning them.

04/01/2013 at 18:41

Was just admiring your ability to remember all the posts you want to comment on Gul- very impressive.

Somebody gave me a £30 sports voucher for my B'day- wondering if I can get some shoes in the sale for that  

04/01/2013 at 19:22
LSRs... Pah

I'm going for a full 6miler on Sunday - eat that!
04/01/2013 at 20:12

Some cracking long runs - inc Poacher following a double day with mile reps, and even more impressively, Blisters following the spanner & wrench wielding . . . .
are you still doing Gloucester in a fortnight's time? 
Another silly o'clock effort from Gul
Speedy -
are you at Wollaton Park tomorrow? 
Poacher - no not gravel; had to be these with living where I do

http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/396841/gallery/steel_shavings.jpg?width=350

actually I did try a gel once, but got flustered fumbling with the foil - took me back a bit. . . .
Shoes - just ordered some Asics 1170's at half price from Sweatshop  -  still had the main sizes as of half hour ago  . . .
Good weekend running, all - have arranged a 7:30 start for 10.5 mile circuit - think my companions may end up with a dozen as they loop back for me  . . .

04/01/2013 at 20:41

Great Edinburgh XC on BBC1 tomorrow.  1pm. 

04/01/2013 at 20:54
Ohh Mennania - LT test - let me know how you get on, I've often toyed with the idea but not sure on the benefits.
Can't do advice on neutral shoes I'm afraid - I'm a super-over-pronator and if my podiatrist would have his way would have me running in bricks. I can just about get away with kayanos and orthotics but nursing a post-tib injury back so need to be very careful. I have raced in DS Racers in the past but haven't tried since the foot damage.
04/01/2013 at 21:35

Whilst the XC is on the TV I shall be battling the joys of the Hants XC Champs tomorrow, all 12k of it....

some good running going on

Cannot comment on the 310 as have the 305, no issues with that as yet...

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.