Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

23,301 to 23,320 of 35,742 messages
05/01/2013 at 14:12

parkrun for me this morning with the family.  Master Minni, Miss Minni's boyfriend (both first timers) and Mr Minni (second time).  Ran with Master Minni with BF about 30 seconds ahead and hubby about 3 minutes behind!  Dead proud of him, he started to tire in the second mile but kept it going.  I encouraged him past a female with a huge bum - well he couldn't be beaten by that, could he? Then past another 4 in the last few hundred meters.  Finished just under 28:00, I think.  Dead proud of him - I almost wept! Over 400 runners at Newcastle today.

18 for me tomorrow.

05/01/2013 at 14:21

Come to Whitley Bay Minni, not as fast but much more scenic than Newcastle and great with the family. I followed Alyson Dixon  (if u know her) for the whole 5k today but pipped her with a speedy last 50 mts.

05/01/2013 at 14:27

Nice one OO.  She's a fast chick.  Might well come to Whitely Bay - The family seem keen to do more!

05/01/2013 at 14:31

My daughter has started coming too, but I couldn't get her ouit of bed today! I'm aiming to attack the V50 course PB at Whitley Bay Parkrun next Saturday- 18:08, I think.

05/01/2013 at 17:25

XC County Champs for me today. Not my best run out ever, but I did enough to qualify to run for Nottinghamshire in the Inter Counties. First time I've qualified rather than being drafted in. I need to re-write my schedule now though, it wasn't in it!

05/01/2013 at 17:31

Steady Parkrun this morning in 20:37, could have gone for the win but needed to save myself for XC champs this afternoon...... so settled for a 2nd place...

Part 2 done, glad I didnt go for the win... the course was heavy claggy and slippery to the fact its the first time in many years I have put 12mm spikes in and still not had total grip in some places..... So the Hants XC Champs... I was 89th overall in 51:13 (7.2m) on a mainly undulating and grassy / muddy course (Old Golf Course), splits were 7:11, 7:12, 7:08, 7:10, 7:08, 7:16, 6:58 and a 1:07 for the sprint to the line.... really happy overall as stayed consistant, which meant I was not overtaken for position at all (and when I was I quickly got it back.....) steadily picking of runners as I went..... Was 3rd counter for the club, so cannot complain. Had I gone harder this morning I would not have done that... so happy, a pic can be seen here....

https://picasaweb.google.com/107928467537311515898/HantsChamps2013#5830009999780817778

2.3m of warm up and down making about 12.5m for the day....

Blisters    pirate
05/01/2013 at 17:35

Fantastic result CC2. Qualification by merit leaves a lovely warm glow.
Great Parkrunning, parkrunners. Nice that you restrained yourself to only outchick your hubby by 3 mins. I wonder when he'll realise just how much you still have left in the tank?

No run for me today, but went for a gentle bike ride. That was the plan. In the end we cracked out 57 miles and by 'eck I was toasted by mile 45. At 53 when we split for home my legs just gave up completely, but nobody was encouraging (beasting) me at that point. Once I was home I fell asleep in the bath until the water went cold.

05/01/2013 at 17:49

Good running, Speedy.  I doubt very much I will do enough to qualify for the combined Avon/Somerset Intercounties team at tomorrow's XC...

05/01/2013 at 17:54

Excellent XC stuff from Speedy and RFJ - Nice pic from the latter, btw. Were you enjoying a reflective moment, there?

05/01/2013 at 17:58

Well done Speedy and the Minni's at Parkrun

Ant for some reason I nearly always have my eyes shut when pics are being taken... even though I do not know it... bizarre....

05/01/2013 at 18:13

RJF - great pic and very well done.  It really motivates me when I read of others doing well and being pleased with their race, especially the tough ones like xc! 

Speedy - see, told you you were speedy!  Well done.  Will you be running in the Nationals in Sunderland?

The 'dry' isn't really going according to plan - busy cooking and everyone has buggered off so having a sneaky glass of white. 

05/01/2013 at 18:55

STOP! - step away from the wine bottle. Now.

Nice XC performances, good strength training too

05/01/2013 at 19:16
Well done on your XC Speedy & selection.
Went and bought some new Salomon Speedcross 3 shoes today and looking forward to getting them muddy in the morning on my LSXCR!
05/01/2013 at 19:27
Nice one KR, I had the speedcross 2s in day glo green - lurvely

Well done indeed to the XC and parkrun racers and special plaudits to Speedy.

Good luck to those racing or long-running tomorrow. I'm taking part in a "blind race". You can set off when you like but without a watch and whoever crosses the line nearest to the stroke of noon wins the kitty. Very scenic hilly 6 mile route. Got engaged in a head to race over the last mile last year with a club rival and blew any chance of winning but crushed him on the final hill.
05/01/2013 at 19:31
PS I'm aiming to be drier (hopefully more effectively than Minni!) over the next 6 months - last night was my first dry night for 3 weeks (I'm talking about alcohol rather than bed wetting before anybody makes the obvious gag) and had a crap day today so might reevaluate that tactic.
05/01/2013 at 19:54
That sounds like fun SJ. Well done on the dryness!

Parkrun times through and we were 28:10 and position 293. Now, a few hundred meters in Master Minni realised he'd dropped his barcode. I told him to run on and I'd go back and find it. Instead he dropped right to the back so when I caught back up that's where we were. I know there were over 400 finishers so we must have over taken about 110+ runners. Nice!
05/01/2013 at 20:03
Just opened a cheeky Primitivo
05/01/2013 at 20:17

County vest no mean feat, Speedy - well done.  Course doesn't sound the easiest from what my son tells me - couple of stiff climbs each lap? 

05/01/2013 at 20:38

One long hill and one short sharp one on each lap, plus a stinking bog of doom (I really fear it was raw sewage - certainly smelled like it :S ) but otherwise a straightforward course I think. 6 hills for us laydeez, so it's a good job I did that boxing day 6 hill xc run in the howling gale

Hi Minni, yes, I'll be at the National this year. Will you be there?

I hardly ever drink alcohol anyway, but I'm not promising a dry January since it's my birthday this month. 

05/01/2013 at 20:44

nice parkrun OO and happy birthday for the other day.

Top stuff Martin. Certainly not hanging around there!

Lorenzo, Keir  as TR says (spot on again) it is the whole package of P&D that makes it so good. There is no way that someone who is running double figures 4 times a week is not going to have the miles in the legs to run well at the marathon. The only caveat is if folk run the progressives too quick or start adding unneccesary miles onto the long runs which will end up burning too many matches and they may reach race day burnt out. I followed the up to 85 mpw last year for London to the letter (although I had to drop out of London cause of illness). But it was still good enough to get me to 2:29 opne month later at Edinburgh. I am doing the up to 105 mpw virtually to the letter to see if it can get me closer to 2:25.

The point about there not being enough long runs is understandable but it does depend on one's background. I suspect that those that have been running for many years need far less twenties in a marathon build up than novices although ironically the twenties are harder to do for the novices!

Great famil parkrunning Minni.

Nice double racing there RFJ

County vest Speedy. Wow, very impressive.

Best of luck tomorrow Jools.

Kent XC chanps for me today and it was about what I was expecting given my current shape. Came 27th. I do struggle with XC but then I hardly ever train off road and tend to only do 3 or 4 XC raxes a year so it's no surprise really! The way that I look at it is if I was fit now I almost certainly wouldn't be in April. I got aboslutley spanked by folk that I would tend to hammer on the road. Oh well, 18 miles tomorrow, should see a very solid c88 mile week.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.