Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

23,581 to 23,600 of 37,111 messages
12/01/2013 at 14:35

Course pb, OGL; pb is from a flatter course and is 19.22.  On that basis I'd bite your hand off to run 19.10 and feel I hadn't got my speed back!

Minni: wow!  A very strong LSR!  My first 20M was 7.59m/m - are you sure our targets should be as far apart as they are?!  I'm trying the fresh air fuelling system and must admit I didn't fade at all on my run.  I've been wasting my money on jelly babies and gels all these years...

Carbloader: I'd second the advice OGL has given.  Pace depends on training load, so my 11M yesterday, when I hadn't gone long (or actually over 10M) for a week, felt very easy on fresh legs. I suspect tomorrow's 14M (cutback week so nice short LSR) will feel less easy, as it'll be a 3rd double-digit run in 3 days.  It's the way the week has panned out, but not something I would aim for unless ultra-training.

12/01/2013 at 14:43

Onegoodleg,Martin H,TR,KR

Thanks for the advice, think i will do a TT in the next few weeks so i can guage a more accurate rough MP time to assist me in my runs. I may switch one of my 7-8 mi runs for a mlr 10-14.

12/01/2013 at 15:58

Wish words and really good advice on here as always.

Jools Nice course PB

OGL Nice (slow) 5k. Be nice to see how quick you go when the speed comes back.

Minni Very impressive 20 miler indeed. I have now officially decided to do my 18 miles unfueled tomorrow.

5 miles recovery today, again plus 9 min miling. Hoping to be out the door nice and early at 7 tomorrow.

12/01/2013 at 16:30
Welcome to Carbloader. Good luck with it all. One point I would re iterate is to try not to get too hung up on target pace at this stage. Just train to your correct training paces then use one or more of the established "tests" (fast as poss HM, 20 mile race, LSR with second half at MP etc) to set your goal pace. You may be capable of more or less than you think!!

Good long runs from Martin, Minni and park runs from OGL ( was that at Silverknowes?) and Jools

7 for me with 8 * 400m in 80-81 secs each. Done on an undulating road and blowing a bit if I'm honest!
12/01/2013 at 18:38

Just found out that they've changed the name of my Spring marathon - it was moved to mid-March from late June which was a a stinker of a time for a matathon for lots of reasons. Participation was very low and crowd support en route practically non-existent, so they've also changed it to more urban, two-lap circuit, starting and finishing in the same place, thus avoiding logistical problems, early starts etc. Anyone fancy it? Info and pics of the route here.

As you were.

12/01/2013 at 18:42

Jools and OGL well done on the parkruns

Minni nice early 20.... my 1st 20 is not till 10th Feb.... 105 mins for me tomorrow...

111th at XC, 5.82m (6:51, 6:46, 7:06, 7:13, 7:14, 5:37,), got spiked at end of 1st lap (by myself above the knee... as I stacked it completly on a 180 turn... down and up in one movement, problem was as I slid my right leg came up and stabbed me above the inside of the left knee)....!! But best postion of the season so far.

Added to the easy parkrun this morning in simialr condiontion (rain and mud) in 22:47, a total of 12.45m for the day... slightly tired now.... but invigorated...

TR
12/01/2013 at 18:50

good work on the unfuelled long runs, it's teaching your body to burn fat as a fuel. Its more about what you eat the night before really, I make sure I have something to eat in the evening about 9pm to top up the tanks, and a couple of snifters !
I do take a gel or a drink later in the campaign if I do a 23 or 24M type long long run, but its just for insurance purposes really. But sports nutrition is saved for race day only for me.

I hope it hasnt rained as much where Poacher was as it has here today, only plus is that teh early kick off tomorrow is off so I can get a longish run in before the later kick off (although that will probably get called off too).

OGL- top idea, interviewing hot chicks for Nuts or Loaded would do ! Running (lack of) Science is surely just common sense anyway ?

Edited: 12/01/2013 at 18:52
12/01/2013 at 19:09

Excellent pace there Minni- honestly I could not do 20 miles at that pace right now- you are a marathon machine.

Congrats on the PB Joolska- they all count and I actually like small bites to give you a target for next time. My parkrun was awful, after a week of excess in Geneva. My expectation for the brass monkey next week must be re-set I fear.

On a positive note young Miss OO'15 got close to her PB with a 25:17 and was 4th lady out of 56. Better watch this young pup.   

Lovin that taper Blisters.

12/01/2013 at 19:33

Sorry I haven't read back folks. I was out with The Dreaded Lurgy at the beginning of the week and have been playing catch up with sessions ever since to meet my Jantastic target. I'll be down on the scheduled mileage, but the number of runs will still be 8. Also my dad had a stroke on Thursday night so I've been spending my free time on the phone to my mum/the hospital rather than online. 

Last race in the North Mids XC today and I finished 10th, which is fairly respectable for that league, but I was maybe 5 - 10 seconds behind the girl I lost the sprint finish to last weekend. I did outsprint a crop top in the last half mile though. 

12/01/2013 at 19:44

Really sorry to hear your news Speedy. Well done on the result after a physically and emotionally draining week. I hope you Dad is better very soon.

12/01/2013 at 19:59
Speedy - sorry to hear that. I hope he makes a good recovery but a stressful time for you. Well done today - perhaps a nice release?

OGL - I think I'll do quite a few unfuelled. Last spring I did 7 or 8 20+ runs do probably the same this time. Nice parkrun btw.

TR - oops I only had a roast chicken and cheese roll to eat at 7:30 last night!

OO - sorry to hear you didn't get that V50 PB but I sounds like you've had a busy week.

RJF - nice xc there.

Jools - lol we are a million (not literally) miles apart! There's no way I could match your HM or marathon times. But I'm happy where I am. Well done today.

Fraser - nice reps, if there is such a thing!

I'm loving the motivation I'm getting from all you fast people - it really makes a difference to us striving to get anywhere close to where you guys are.
TR
12/01/2013 at 20:07

Speedy - sounds like a tough week, best wishes to your Dad and your family. Well done for getting the runs in too.

Minni - that Chicken and Roll obviously worked well. There is plenty of motivation on here at the mo, esp with the early doors training.

12/01/2013 at 20:11
Sorry to hear that Speedy. How is he doing?
12/01/2013 at 20:42

Birch - I think my questionable training involved most short runs at faster than race pace and long runs at just slower than race pace.  After my long runs I couldn't run for two days after due to doing them too fast.  However, it seemed to work.  Feel much more confident at being able to improve now I know what I am doing.  Enjoy the new trainers.  I have a pair of 2170s in the box waiting for their turn.

Sounds like a good experiment Blisters.  If it works there could be a book deal in it for you

Excellent 20 miler Minni.  Running at that pace unfuelled at this stage bodes very well for a faster time than you may think. I really think running most of the long runs unfuelled really toughens the body.  I've been eating all day since my run this morning though!!

Good faster stuff OGL & Fraser and an excellent double RFJ.

Enjoy the long run tomorrow TR.

Well raced Speedy.  Fingers crossed your Dad makes a quick and full recovery.

12/01/2013 at 20:49

Sorry to hear about your dad, Speedy.  Hope he recovers ok.

12/01/2013 at 20:51

Take care Speedy and best wishes to your pop.

Blisters    pirate
12/01/2013 at 20:58

Speedy, I hope your Dad pulls through OK. Surely he can't be at all old? This sort of thing is a niggling thought at the back of the mind once the age of 50 has come and gone. Somebody today had the temerity to invite me to have some tests for this sort of thing, at the bargain price of £175. The only negative factor I have is a taste for the aqua vitae. I mean, there was a famous marathon runner who smoked cigars continuously, what was his name?

I almost did a "Jools" today. I tell you, shopping is dangerous. Wearing my distance glasses I landed a foot half on the kerb edge and took a real hobble-stumble. The blaspheming had a mildly moderated ending attached, people asked how I was, and I thought that they really didn't understand what a ripped ligament would mean to me this week. Yes, I did think about Jools, and I truly hope that your target race delivers results this year.
(As it happens, I think there's no harm been done).

12/01/2013 at 21:20

speedy - Hope your Dad is doing OK. Good result at the end of a hard week

Minni - Top LSR  Couldnt get anywhere neat that presently.

tidy XC RFJ.

16 and a bit for me in 7.56 with 1100ft of climb with a couple at MP toward the end. Tired at the end but that would be because 400ft of the climb is over 1 hill 1.5miles from the finish. Am I gaining anything by running this at the end of a lsr - or would I be better driving to the bottom of the hill and running an extra mile or so at MP?

12/01/2013 at 21:37

((Speedy))

Nice running by so many, some conventional and some not but all good work.
Ant that looks a nice enough run and pretty flat, no doubt with a cerveza easily available after you finish

Edited: 12/01/2013 at 22:02
12/01/2013 at 21:54

Speedy - best wishes  . . .
Minni - what others have said - belting stuff
Jools & 1GL - fine parkrunning (legs not too bad, tks, 1GL)
FW - nice "blow-out" !
RFJ - impressive double . . .
Mennania -"Am I gaining anything by running this at the end of a lsr"
  -- 
yes, mental strength  --  don't faff taking the car down !
Ah, Poacher materialises  . . . .

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.