Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

23,701 to 23,720 of 38,935 messages
17/01/2013 at 09:16

Good point, Keir. I'm running round a sports field which is pretty flat. I am a bit concerned about over doing it as it's still hard work. Fortunately next week is cut-back week, so I'll take it easy and hope the snow and ice have gone in time for the start of my 10k schedule. Overall, I'm feeling pretty good. I've been doing 40+mpw for a couple of months now. This will drop a bit for the start of the 10k training and then build back up again. By the time I start HM training I should be up to 50mpw and will be somewhere around that for the rest of the year. So come 2014 I should be in good shape to tackle a mara all being well. But still a long way to go!

Edited: 17/01/2013 at 09:17
17/01/2013 at 09:43

Great picture  Minni.
Not sure I understand about body milk - I will leave that one.

No field for me - I did my first ever treadmill session today. A few issues to start with (kept knocking an emergency stop button on the hand rail). I soon binned the idea of doing intervals - the machine took forever to get up and down speeds, so ended up doing 10miles with 6 at sub 6:15min/m. It was quite nice doing a LT session on a soft surface, warm, and not scanning for traffic and kerbs.

Treadmill reckoned I was a little quicker than that but I will go off the garmin as I recently calibrated it. Conclusion - yes I would do speedier sessions again on a treadmill.

17/01/2013 at 09:58
Minni. Looks like a really lovely place to run very envious.

Gul. Respect, running 17 laps round a field,shows you are a very disciplined individual.

Ant. Body milk? Love the way you set yourself up for some stick!!!

Keir. Interesting and informative other thread, still catching up on it.

4.5m. This morning very f...cold, knee still a little tender, got some strange looks running in this weather, well done everyone having the balls to get out there!
Now off to see nothing's dropped off...
17/01/2013 at 12:05

After the "body milk" revelation, it was reassuring to return to "normality" with Gul -
"5am for 8 steady miles which equated to 17 laps of the field. "  You lot may not be aware, but you're my best medicine when the the dark clouds gather  . . . .
efc-col  - just read back - tks, I'm still persevering - 9 cold miles this morn - off to work now  . . . .

17/01/2013 at 12:54

it's either side of snow that's the problem- ice oe slush. Must get out tonight....

Both Saturdays parkrun and the Brass Monkey on Sunday could be cancelled due to the weather.

17/01/2013 at 13:51

Beautiful picture there Minni.

No snow here in Reading, but it is forecast tomorrow so maybe it's a work at home day.

7m again this lunchtime feeling OKish

17/01/2013 at 14:23

Looking out of my window and it has started snowing here (Wrexham). I hope I can get to the club tonight as it looks bleak for a couple of days. Neighbours dreadmill might get an airing over the weekend.  Be careful all.

17/01/2013 at 14:38

BBC reckons snow from 5am tomorrow for us (heavy from 6am); metcheck reckons sleet/light snow in a few hours' time, and snow proper about 9am tomorrow. 

17/01/2013 at 14:38

Minni Very nice picture

Ant Bad day today and I log on to your body milk, not good.

Gul As sane as always

5 miles very slow today. My left calf and right shin both feel slightly dicky. Hopefully just a bit of stretching on tired legs will make it fine. Get the weekend sorted and then cut back week.

Boiler stopped working this morning, fortunately semi sorted (frozen condensate line) after a couple of hours playing about.

17/01/2013 at 14:45

I have a cunning plan to sneak in a long run tomorrow am, then that will be me for the week running wise. Its because of South East  snow - a couple of mm brings everything to a halt, unlike up north

17/01/2013 at 15:12

Phew, today I finished a 13 day block of running 16 times without a rest day. The first run was 19 miles and the final run this morning was 20 miles finished by 7:45 am. It’s interesting that running more often seems to cause me less niggles. Then again that could be my change in gait and/or cadence.

Tomorrow I’m off to Tenerife for a week in the sun. I plan to run just 3 times on holidays then the really hard work will begin on my return. Happy running everyone I’m off to pack!

Blisters    pirate
17/01/2013 at 15:37

AvO: Phnaaaaaar!
Minni, awwww, that's gorgeous. Now tell us that you were reduced to 6:30m/m pace due to conditions.
Jools: You have a voluntary planned 20? I'm just trying to pretend that I'm a big hard grown up with the Sunday run with safety pins on. It's just because I've paid hard earned dosh, or it would have been binned long ago.
Badbark: Just slip in the fact that it's 22 degrees, we won't mind.

Now I ought to get out and do 4 or 5 taper miles to test out the kit I plan to wear on Sunday. Yellow and Black.
aaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

17/01/2013 at 16:29

Birch - I'd just put the 'body milk' episode at the back of my mind only to find 5 mins for a catch up and you have to raise the subject again!

based on the recommendation of my sedentary work colleagues I went out in loads of clothing for a jogged recovery run at lunch time only to find the sun had appeared and it was a simmering plus 2 degrees. Managed to get sweaty at around 9mm!

As also-ran says the South East is about to come to a standstill so a bit worried about my weekend running. I am meant to be doing a 16 with 8 at threshold on Sunday. Not sure how that's going to happen. 

Good luck everyone and stay safe.

badbark - that's just plain unfair!!! Great block of training though - enjoy the break.

17/01/2013 at 17:14

Right took the advice from everyone on here and did my first ever proper SLOW run today.

managed 19 miles @8.21 with the last 3 mi progressively quicker, its also the first time i have run unfueled and just with water. i dont feel too bad actually maybe tomorrow i will feel it but im off out to play on the mtb in the snow yesssss.

17/01/2013 at 17:49

carbloader - good going. I've been listening as well. It's not easy fighting the desire to run quicker but I'm finding i'm recovering quicker after each session.

No snow here yet, expecting sometime tomorrow morning

17/01/2013 at 20:06
Took pity on Mr Minni and didn't run this morning but went out tonight instead. Went in those snowy hills for 5 headtorch lit miles in well over an hour. Snowing and biting wind but so lovely and refreshing. A real treat.
17/01/2013 at 20:35

Good running Carboloader

Snow is falling here, so just got out in time..... a hard session at threshold pace for the intervals... 15 mins warm up (1.87m) 5 x 5 mins of 90 secs rec, .75m, .78m, .78m, .80m, .78m and 15 mins cool down (1.91m) 8.44m in total

Had a good massage last night as well as my rest day

The weekends running could be fun... might be the gym and the dreaded treadie....

17/01/2013 at 22:21

Weston Prom Run for me tonight as an easier way of doing 10M with 5M @ HMP as per P&D this week.  Pretty pleased to be only 4s slower than last month (31.50 v 31.46) as legs felt heavy and grotty when warming up, but the splits were damn near perfect for blind pacing (i.e. I didn't look at my Garmin at all when running): 6.18, 6.19, 6.24, 6.20, 6.20. Not sure if I grabbed a podium place as I was cooling down during the prize giving.

17/01/2013 at 22:29

RFJ Sounds like a good but tough session. Very consistant

Jools Great 5 mile time and pace control. The internal clock is working well

As my shin still feels slightly painful, plus the weather, I have decided to have a rest day tomorrow. Sunday session more important, hopefully niggle free by then.

Edited: 17/01/2013 at 22:31
17/01/2013 at 23:15
Still refusing to wear leggings but it was bliddy cold this morning - sneaked in 12 miles on top of 10 the previous day so rest day tomorrow.

Lovely views over Denbies vineyard but still not as spectacular as Minni-land.

Ant - you asked for it!

Speedy running from RFJ and Jools.

Sort of looking forward to running in the snow (if it settles) on Saturday. Will have time for a long run as younger Lorenzito's XC race has already been called off.
Edited: 17/01/2013 at 23:15
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.