Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

23,781 to 23,800 of 38,983 messages
20/01/2013 at 09:27

Thanks for all the comments on the HMs.  All food for thought.  My legs can definitely feel the gruelling 17 yesterday Jools (enjoy the ballet).  Only a sedate 4 planned for today. 

20/01/2013 at 09:39
Kudos on doing 8 miles after your 20 yesterday.

Just a sedate 3 miles for me this morning on clear roads (pavements sheet ice).
20/01/2013 at 10:06
18 miles just completed at a plodtastic 9MM pace along the canal. As I don't do any xc, plus all the slipping and skidding in my road shoe, legs feel totally mashed. I was struggling on the outward part and seemed to be completely out of energy on the return leg..
Still, all good training, both physically and mentally.

KR- two HM planned for me, Wokingham which I will do flat out and totally obliterate my PB. Then Reading which I will most probably do at MP as part of a long run.
20/01/2013 at 10:25

5 miles for me this morning - pleasant once I got off the roads but Torvill and Dean could have joined me on some road / pavement sections.

No HMs in the diary yet - trying to fit things around Mrs L's race schedule.

Good effort Moof

Enjoy the ballet Jools.

20/01/2013 at 11:17
Just de-lurking as I've finally caught up after getting behind at Christmas - suppose I should've just skim read, but have been enjoying the posts

Impressed with the number of 20 milers done already - I did 18 miles with 10 at mp yesterday and averaged 7.23mm for the mp section. Very pleased with this in the conditions (though we had snow here, we got off fairly lightly so mp running was hard but possible)

I'll prob only run one HM and one 10K in the build up to VLM and make them both all out PB attempts (Retford HM and Lincoln 10K)
20/01/2013 at 11:36

Well done everyone for getting in LSRs in desperate conditions.

18.16 miles for me today...took me 2:22:22, bizzarrely! 7:53mm on a pretty bumpy route, av131bpm, which is good and low. 53 miles this week.

Off to roast a leg of lamb now, as you do.

Edited: 20/01/2013 at 11:37
20/01/2013 at 12:45

20m in the snow,
nice and slow,
but there we go. 

An unfuelled run
lots of fun
not much sun

Average pace 8.42
inc stop for a poo
as you do.

Now I'm off out to play
On my sleigh
Hip, hip Hooray!  

20/01/2013 at 12:50

Get that man some food - he's delirious!

20/01/2013 at 13:05

Plodtastic here too, running on mixed surface of ice, snow, slush and clear pavements. 21 miles at the finish in 8:40 pace. Happy with that but a poor week of 37 miles.  

20/01/2013 at 13:05

Moof and Ant Very nice long runs

LB70 Very impressive MP section indeed.

Keir Hmm yes indeed. Poo in doors or out in the country side?

I knew very early into my run there would be no MP sections. So my 18 with 10 at MP became a time on feet. 21.14 miles in 3:05 at a pace of 8:45 HR 70%.

Last 3 weekends have been 20, 20 and 21. Cut back week next week.

20/01/2013 at 13:17

Mightily impressed with you lot getting the LSR's done and dusted.

I had to do mine off-road through the hilly trails in the woods behind my house because I couldn't run or drive out of the village. Was meant to run 16 with 8 at MP today but that was never going to happen. Ran in spikes which was a good decision but maybe longer ones may have been better. Biggest problem was the unevenness of the rutted ground under the snow and kept turning my ankles over.

Anyhow, managed 11.25 miles at 8:26mm. Started getting really concerned I was going to do myself serious damage so headed home happy that I at least did something to end the week on 48 miles.

20/01/2013 at 13:32

Just back from a fab race in the slightly falling snow....

Stubbington Green 10K race, entries sold out so 1200 entrants... doubt that many started though.... a good warm up with Jnr before hitting the start line.... aim was 39 mins... and keep every k under 4 mins

1km - 3:51 and off and away and getting a tad carried away with pace...
2km - 3:59 eased off to much club mate passes me to put me into the B team
3km - 3:59 and the hill, the only real incline on the race
4km - 3:50 and a good straight stretch and feeling good
5km - 3:51 (half way in 19:32) Jnr has pulled up and I'm catching team mate.
6km - 3:49 Powering on and pass club mate (who is going at MP)
7km - 3:50 into the grove of consistancy along the sea front all is well and another club mate appears in front of me...
8km - 3:56 slight rise, MP club mate passes me at he goes for it... as I close on other in front away from the sea front
9km - 3:53 Just cannot close the gap enough, but moving well
10km - 3:47 and really motoring (for me) for fasted km but the gap stays at 10 meters
Last tiny bit 7 secs......

Hits on the clock 39:00 and 38:57 on the chip not a pb but a dammed good marker in the sand at the start of marathon training. One very happy runner. Followed by a good warm down.

Well done all on the long runs

20/01/2013 at 13:32

In honour of Keir:

While going at 7:53
I made a quick stop for a wee
I took on a gel
And some water as well
But thank God it was all quite poo-free.

20/01/2013 at 13:33

RFJ - great stuff -well done!

20/01/2013 at 13:39

RFJ Great race and report. Excessively consistant splits, which is a great sign of fitness.

Blisters    pirate
20/01/2013 at 14:36

Excellent RFJ, and well paced, bang on your target. It's very impressive.

I decided to go out for a jogulet around the looped course of the Glos mara, and met up with Magic Mower. The great bit about the route is that you can choose how many loops to do before bombing. He was on for 4, which would be 28 miles or more, but then again he is focussed on ultras. I had 2 in mind.
15 miles done, at 8m/m on the button. This was top target mara pace, and I was really pleased to still be chattering at 13.1 miles. It's one of my tests: if I am struggling to talk at that point then I've most likely blown it.

Shoes: Innov8 rocklite 315. There were some icy patches, but as it wasn't a race I could fairy ponce over them.
Clothes: multi layers. (4) worked fine.

Swim later.

20/01/2013 at 15:03
I've been advised to race only one half (watford) in build up to marathon, with a 10mile race today which was cancelled and finchley 20mile race in march?? Now 10mile has been cancelled am tempted to run another half instead in early march?! Any one know a 10mile race over the next month or so in replacement? How many of you race a 20 miler before the big day??
20/01/2013 at 15:23

RFJ - Nice race. Fantasticly consistent pacing and top report

Blisters - good to get some consistent miles in feeling good. Nice one! I think I need to get some Innov8's. I'm a mild overpronator - any recommendations?

akatrigs - there is a great 10 miler at Canterbury next Sunday but I don't know if the entry has closed. Might be worth a look on the website?

moof/Ant/Scooby/Keir - great long running in those conditions! And those from yesterday. Jools - amazing in that deep stuff.

Blisters    pirate
20/01/2013 at 15:53

DS2, when it comes to off road shoes, the pronation bit all becomes a load of hocus pocus. You are going to use them primarily on soft or uneven gound, so no two footfalls are going to be identical. You are not going to aggravate knees or ankles from repetitive strain. More likely is turning over a rock, tree root or rabbit hole.

When I bought mine, I went in there looking for one of two pairs, and came out with the ones that they had. Mine have got some cushioning like real trainers, a decent stud length, a rubber toe box, and the uppers are made from some whizz bang multi-layer Goretex type stuff. I can still get wet feet, but they are warm. If I'd change anything it would be to get rid of the toe box. I'd risk stubbing a toe on a rock, and swap that for avoiding the occasional rubbed toe after 20 miles.

Some of the shoes don't have cushioning (like Walsh or NB), which is OK if you just want to paddle about in wet stuff, but less good for mixed terrain. I gather that the Mudclaw ones have a longer stud pattern, which could be sapping on hard ground as you waste energy. Mine weren't cheap, but I don't wear them very often, yet I do enjoy the experience every time. They are the best shoes, bar none, for descending wet grass with confidence. Spikes may be better in deep mud, but won't tackle mixed terrain.

20/01/2013 at 16:05

akatrigs - Ryde 10m on the IOW on 03rd Feb, 3 hills good course (but only good realy if resisent in the south (normally only a tenner return on the catermaran) also Salisbury 10m on the 3rd March or Bramley 20m on 17th Feb....

Thanks for comments

INOV's are too narrow for me, but have just found that the Adidas Kanadia's are a good fit and coped really well on my LSR yesterday

Good running Blisters / Moof / Ant / Keir and Scooby

Edited: 20/01/2013 at 16:06
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.