Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

23,801 to 23,820 of 38,243 messages
20/01/2013 at 16:46

Great running RFJ, especially in these conditions. Was your footing ok?

Reassured to see everybody struggled with pace today- I certainly did.  

20/01/2013 at 17:47
Nice racing RFJ. Well done on nailing it.

DS2, I have a pair of Inov8 roclite 255s which are a lightweight trail shoe and half way down their heel to toe differential grading system. Been out in them for half a dozen runs and really like them. Very good grip in the slippy stuff and more cushioning than the Salomon speedcross that they replaced yet are more of a forefoot running shoe. As RFJ says, they are more narrow than some brands but fit me well.

Well done to all who have gone long this weekend. Those are the efforts that count!
20/01/2013 at 17:51
Hi all,

I think I might be about to allow myself to get off the injury bench, as I managed to do 5.5 pain and niggle free miles today

I have had the last 10 days off completely due to a calf strain, and am trying to decide whether to follow what it says in P&D about returning after an injury.

I should be just starting week 14 of the P&D 55-70 programme, but given that weeks 15, and 16 were non-existent, I am tempted to have a week of just running to feel before I get back into proper training.

What experience have others had of coming back from an injury?
Edited: 20/01/2013 at 17:52
20/01/2013 at 17:52

Well done everyone on the runs, did another 17 miles on the MTB today excellent fun in the snow.

That topped of another record breaking week for me 44 miles in 4 sessions.

20/01/2013 at 18:21

OO foot was great all round, saw 1 lass slightly slip but then she had strayed on to the white stuff. Other than that conditions were not far off being perfect, light snow (I prefer drizzle when running, a light breeze, plus with thermal top on under vest with gloves and hat not bad at all.

Nice and slow Young Pup take it easy and build it up.

Good milage Carbloader

20/01/2013 at 18:21

carbloader - nice going. I saw a few MTBers this morning while I was running in the woods. It looked good fun today although there was quite a bt of wheel spinning going on and even though I wasn't running very fast I was going faster than them on the uphill bits. How many sessions are you intending to get up to? What was the mix this week?

Blisters/SJ - thanks for the advice on the trail shoes. I have quite a wide foot so will need to be careful on the fitting. I should do more running through the woodland trails really but need to make sure I'm in the right footwear. I was glad not to do any serious danmage by the time I finished today but my ankles are a bit sore now.

YoungPup - gald to see you back. I'll leave the advice, though, to those that know better!

20/01/2013 at 18:45

DS2- Yes i was still a bit jealous of the runners i saw too lol quite a few tbf (Cannock Chase is where i go).

I did- 1 long 19mi, 8 mi tempo, 8mi aerobic, 9mi aerobic snow

Im probably goin to do no more than 5 and top out around 50-55 mi, i will be doing 1-2 sessoins on my road or mtb  too which are always 75%+ i dont hang around on the bike lol

20/01/2013 at 19:30

Nice 10k-ing RFJ.

Interesting poetry, guys...

Ballet was fab, although Matthew Bourne's Sleeping Beauty makes quite a change from the classical ballet I did (albeit badly) as a kid.

20/01/2013 at 19:51
Great performance RFJ. What it said on the tin. Very promising.

Impressive commitment in the snow from many. Shows what can be done with effort and not lying down to the CNBA fairy

Glad no one had any arse over tit episodes

400s again for me tonight. Oooo they're not much fun are they. All over the place with pace due to terrain. Several 80 secs but a few 88. Oh well. Spent some time in the hurt box which is what mattered
20/01/2013 at 20:23

As hard as a 20 without breakfast was Fraser, I would rather that than a set of 400s!

School's shut tomorrow, so I might have to go out into the white stuff for some more fun. 

TR
20/01/2013 at 20:31

good work on the long runs (unfuelled or fuelled)

Minni - whats the decision regarding the build up races ? havnt done any 1/2's in mara build up myself, I have done 20M races (at ~MP) and even done 2 maras with no build up races (might be another this time too).

20/01/2013 at 21:33

TR - I'm trying to keep a clear head over the HMs.  Really the ideal scenario would still be to do the first one at MP and race the second.  Its just unfortunate that I know the route of the first one and am sure I can go under 1:30 on it.   I'm going to try and find out the route of the Northumberland half (OO do you know?  Its not on the website but I've emailed them asking) and go down and run it as part of a long run in the next few weeks then make a decision from there.  I know PBing isn't the most important thing right now but I would feel much more confident going into London knowing I had a sub 1:30 under my belt.

Fraser - I don't mind 400s, even 800s at a push but hate1000m.

20/01/2013 at 21:42

Another 11 miles today, but this time I wore the Yaktrax, which made life easier in the woods where the snow has now been compacted by sledges and the like. Not so easy on the roads getting to the woods though and some comedy heel walking had to be done at times. Praying we don't get the forecasted snow tonight. Back to the treadie tomorrow.

Nice 10k RFJ!

20/01/2013 at 22:11

Very jealous of you folks all out running in such rubbish weather. Character building stuff and some have recorded what look like excellent times in the conditions.  Most impressed

Minni - a HM PB is a great confidence booster. I'd go for it eyeballs out if I were you.  HM is such a convenient balance between endurance training, mental strength building and fast recovery.  But of course keep the main eye on London.

No running here, longest time without exercise for 18 months but maybe that is not such a bad thing, might recharge the batteries.

Take care all

20/01/2013 at 22:30

Sorry to hear that Poacher. Did you get a Coastal entry in?

I don't know the route Minni but will be interested when u get it.

Looks like the North East will get the worst of the snow. Journey to work tomorrow could be interesting.

21/01/2013 at 06:36

Busy weekend on the thread! I'll have to catch up a bit later. Some more snow here, not loads but enough for a bit of sledging at Sandringham.  5 more miles of heffalump tracking completed this morning.

21/01/2013 at 06:52

Nice 10K there RFJ.

Cracking long runs going on too.

Business travel got in the way of any weekend running and I made a paltry 23 miles for the week.  I managed to get out of Heathrow and get to Japan despite the snow and a short connection in Zurich.  Its a bit better under foot here so dying to put some miles in.  Unfortunately I haven't been to bed for 24+ hours so it might be a problem tonight

Stay safe there Poacher.

21/01/2013 at 06:53
Out of bed at 4:5x this morning to bag an hour's worth of yomp through the woods. Roads were mostly clear of snow and ice, but fresh snow once I got off road - the ideal combination.

Gul - did you catch one?

Hope the folks in the North East aren't too badly affected by the weather.
TR
21/01/2013 at 09:08

Minni - self confidence is a powerful thing, self belief is even more powerful, so if a 1:30 helps with that its worth having. However, you can do the other race and it indicate you are in 1:30 shape, without actually running a 1:30 (course,conditions considered etc). I'd still just do one of the two races, if they are on consecutive weekends.

Poacher - stay safe. I'm in the not running camp too.

21/01/2013 at 11:07

OK. Here goes...
Well done to all those who got out for a long run in the snow: Jools, Speedy, Minni, Martin, Moof, LB70, Keir, OO, SD (assuming you have snow!), Blisters and CL - hope I haven't missed anyone!
Lorenzo - well done on negotiating the obstacles; man-made and others. And good early run today. I think I may have spotted a woozle, but no catches.
Ant - nice progressive run and long run too.
Blisters - good to see you're keeping upbeat.
Poacher - pleased to hear you're OK.
Mennania - hope your report is accurate and the new paces are spot on.
RFJ - good running and racing again! Especially good 10k.
Thanks for the poetry too, Keir and Ant.
DS2 - well done on staying safe.
akatrigs - hope you find another 10 mile race.
YP - good news. I think caution is the order of the day.
FW - well done on getting in the reps.
Keir - enjoy the day off.
Bike It - hope you can get some running done in Japan.
TR - hope that's down to the snow and ice and you're not on the bench.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.