Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

23,861 to 23,880 of 37,653 messages
22/01/2013 at 17:22

((Minni))

Welcome back GE

Ant that doesnt sound one dimensional, with that level of mileage you are forcing the issue, i.e. things will change, probably for the better. FWIW what you are doing is far less ploddy than my so-called training before reinvention last summer.

Gul thanks for the WtP reminder - part of growing up

Scooby - I sense that you are faster than you believe and that soon you will surprise yourself by having everything fall into place on race day. Can't recommend living on painkillers though, been there and back

As you were

Blisters    pirate
22/01/2013 at 17:50

Minni, terribly sorry to hear about your dog.

22/01/2013 at 18:24

Minni - What a terrible thing to happen. Very sad.

TR
22/01/2013 at 18:28

Minni - sorry to hear that sad news

SJ - good that the IM training is going well, I've seen folks say that Fink is light on bike miles, but I guess the snow isnt helping that. You can ramp it up when the spring comes anyway.

Ant - thats a very balanced week, if you feel tired then drop the reps or the tempo, you dont need to be doing them yet. We still have 12 weeks yet, peak avoidance is more important that looking for a peak at the mo.

I'm not bombproof or titanium, possibly being a bit over careful, but I'm keen to avoid a peak too although I'll need to be back to it in the next few weeks ready for some peak chasing. 

22/01/2013 at 19:35

Minni Very sorry to hear your sad news.

22/01/2013 at 19:48
Very sad news Minni.
22/01/2013 at 19:50
Evening all,
Work has been getting in the way over the last week so haven't had much chance to pop by - a monster read back on the train this morning... Body milk, tights, running in Algeria, and snow, lots of snow!

Not a great week for me last week with work a massive inconvenience - I lost tues, weds, and Thursday completely but was determined not to let the snow take any more miles so was out Friday, Sat and a very ploddy/slushy/skiddy 17 on Sunday, bringing up about 40miles for week. Not bad considering, but still frustrating. I don't think it stopped snowing the whole of the LSR.

Saturday was a fartlek session - I did it randomly across the football pitches in the park through the snow - the GPS trace looked like a Jackson Pollock painting after - which was fun, and good hard lifting of the feet training through the snow. It did give me an idea for GPS artwork tho - I wondered about creating pictures with the trace... Mmmm.

Races as buildup - I generally do a HM about 6-8 weeks out from Mara to give a good indication on my training adaptions and race pace. I race it hard (primarily) as I'm not disciplined enough not too and also because I'm generally in the best shape in a mara buildup so go after a PB! This year I'd planned on Reading but as its scheduled for the day after Fingers Jr No2 is due I'm not sure me disappearing for a few hours would be the best idea - I suspect I'll be long running by doing a Gul Darr Special and run loops round our house....

Small house = lots of loops.... Who knows, I might run into a heffalump...
Edited: 22/01/2013 at 20:01
22/01/2013 at 20:44

Oh, Minni. Really feel for you. 

22/01/2013 at 21:38
Big hugs for Minni. I'm not a dog owner so can only imagine what you're going through.
22/01/2013 at 21:39
Minni tragic and very sad news, so sorry for you and your family.

TR. sounds like your suffering with a similar injury to me, I have been ticking over the past week, no speed work just plodding.Hoping things will get back to normal and I can start increasing the mileage again...gently, take care.

Ant. Have faith, looks sounds like you have a very good base, the icing will come later!

Fingers. Well done for fitting in the runs in a hectic week.

5m in chilly conditions and not fast but knee still reminding me to take it easy.
22/01/2013 at 21:39

That's sad news Minni. Its devastating when things like this happen. Hope mum dog isn't affected by this.

22/01/2013 at 21:41

Thanks for all your interesting comments and advice, all very welcome. I'll reply properly tomorrow, but I've got to get to bed now. Good night, all.

Btw, I know of one Bradford City fan who's going to be a very happy man tonight.

22/01/2013 at 21:43
That is very sad news Minni, sorry to hear.
22/01/2013 at 21:45

Ant - Do you reckon he knows? He's probably out pounding the streets as we speak!

Edited: 22/01/2013 at 21:48
22/01/2013 at 21:50

Sorry to hear Minni (((())))

Had to use the ind est again tonight for my session - 8.58m done, 10 mins easy (1.19m) 20 mins Steady (2.82m) 20 mins threshold (3.02m) and 12.5 mins easy (1.55m) in the wind and sleet, couldn't quite get to threshold oace due to the hill on each 1m lap, so happy overall.

Always worth it when Pizza with mates and cake awaits afterwards....

22/01/2013 at 22:00
Ant- your training looks fine just lay off the stuffed olives.

10 miles for me tonight + 10 sets of strides on the service road behind where I work which was the only clear road about. A few jeers and a bit of piss taking from a couple of night shift colleagues. "Oi wanker, I thought you could run!" And "nice tights, forest!" Etc etc..

Snowing all evening, booo!
22/01/2013 at 23:33

Keir - I've seen his Facebook post. He knows! 

23/01/2013 at 00:00

Such a horrible thing to happen Minni .

Ant, keep the faith, 50 - 60 miles a week would be my peak mileage. What Fraser said stuck a chord as i think i have been guilty of running all my runs to quick in earlier mara campaigns and i think it is good to mix it up. All this snow & ice has been making me run a lot slower and has helped. For example tonight I went out and found a 1 mile stretch of urban road and ran 1 mile reps. All were under 6 min mile pace, but for the first time in over a week the feeling of not slipping and being able to stretch out was brilliant.

13 laps of the square Jools! A crafty way of getting the miles in. I think inthis weather you have to find a way!

Nice midweek run at pace Scoobs. I'm not drinking during the week through this campaign and hope to loose a few pounds on the way - just need to cut back on the biscuits!

Classic shouts of abuse Moof.

23/01/2013 at 04:17

Minni - that's a terrible thing to have happen - sorry to hear it.

Scooby, RJF and KR - Nice bit of speedwork there chaps.  Tuesday is always a good day to run fast if your LSR was on Sunday.

There are some very creative solutions appearing to get some miles in.

Another 10 miles banked this (wednesday) morning.  Nice view of the mountains as I ran along the river.  I ran fairly late at 7am and I saw a group of schoolboys running Iten style in a casual jog at about 6:30m/m on the floodplain of the river.  Well it is no surprise that Japans got so many high caliber marathon runners when they've got a well organised school system.

I too have put on lots of weight.  I only wear a suit on a business trip and the trouser were decidedly snug when I got it out the suitcase on Monday morning.  I don't think it is one specific thing with me, just general greediness and lack of recent running.  I expect I'll drop back to normal as soon as I get my volume back up.

Talking of volume, I've got 28 miles for the week already logged and my calf problems are settling down.  Hoping to run sustainable 50 mile weeks through to middle of March.  Let's see

23/01/2013 at 06:33

Ant - as others have said, maybe you need to take the easy/steady runs a bit easier.
SJ - keeping very positive!
CL - hope the tempo run went OK.
FW - good 12 miler.
SD - great running.
Minni - how terrible! That's so sad. ((()))
FINgers - well done on getting the sessions in last week. Sounds like you're going be even busier soon!
EFC-Col - take it easy on that knee.
Keir / Ant / Lorenzo - my dad was a Park Avenue fan, but I'm sure he would have been pleased for City.
RFJ - good dedication.
Moof - well done.
KR - good improvisation and great set of mile reps!
Bike It - sounding very promising.
Recovery run d&d. 6 laps and home = 3 miles.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.