Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

23,881 to 23,900 of 38,980 messages
23/01/2013 at 06:58
Sad news Minni....
23/01/2013 at 06:59

(Spoiler - gratuitous smut)

Unable to run in Algeria at the moment, but at least one can stave off boredom by keeping clean thanks to the excellent shower gel provided in the hotel....

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/76130/gallery/p1020317_1.jpg?width=350

Keir? Windy? 

23/01/2013 at 07:49

Nice one Poacher- enjoy the relaxation in the privacy of your hotel room. Not a great place to be at the moment I'm sure.

Minni- what a tragedy- that must be really awful for the family, especially poor Mr Minni who must have had the job to the break the news.

Some good long runs by all- 8 for me at a plodding pace last night.

23/01/2013 at 08:44

Reaaly feel for you Minni - I hope Hubby is OK

Excellent commitment as expected from  the elite (but generally slightly lardy?) thread.

8 for me with only 6 sets of strides as I couldnt find any decent foothold for the last 4 but it did have 800ft of ascent so I am taking that as a trade off.

Nice one Poacher - I always giggle schoolboy stylee when I get  a beer from the SMEG fridge. Rimmer would be horrified

23/01/2013 at 09:24

Pavements still compacted with snow here. Continued my treadmill trip advisor tour of Maidenhead. Council gym today at 6:30am, cheap  entry and decent treadmills.

Another good treadmill session, 91mins for 13miles, using 7:30min/m as my base pace and going through the gears ad hoc down to 5:40min/m pace. Completely drenched at the end of it.

23/01/2013 at 12:32

14M for me this morning in fresh snow.  Slipped at 12M and my left glute/hip tightened quite badly but it seems to have loosened off now - fingers crossed!

Poacher: I'm tempted to say a little bit of light relief never goes amiss...

(((Minni))).  The last time I cried myself to sleep was when my mum phoned me to tell me my cat had been put down.  I'd had her since I was 7.  Hope the mummy dog is ok; we had mum/daughter spaniels and the daughter grieved when the mum was put down.

23/01/2013 at 14:04
Jools, how is the weather in Bristol now? Ditched plans to travel down there for fear of runways being closed due to snow. Is it still coming down?

Hope the shoulder improves
Edited: 23/01/2013 at 14:05
23/01/2013 at 14:06
Bad anatomy, bad boy - ahem - hip
23/01/2013 at 14:18

So sorry for your loss Minni

Poacher - I'm sure you're not the only person on here to climax in a hotel shower  (someone had to say it).

Ant - You are doing more speedwork than I am at the moment.  Don't fret and it will all come together closer the time.  And the weight will drop off when you get to the sharper end.

Too much good running by others to mention while pretending to be busy at work.

6.2 miles for me last night with the club over local fields.  90% of it was very relaxed over snowy footpaths at around 9m/m pace, 5% was slipping off of footpaths and into icy puddles and the last 5% was a sub 5.50 final mile back on the road.

23/01/2013 at 14:34

Jools Hope the slip has not caused any serious damage

Poacher I think you may be meant to fill them, not use them to wash with.

Nice general plodding going on

AR You certainly seem to like your tough treadmill sessions

12 miles for me today in a quite spritly 8:03mm

23/01/2013 at 16:37

SJ: snow has now stopped and (certainly in the city centre) doesn't really seem to have settled.  Hope that's the last of it!

23/01/2013 at 16:58

Minni - what terrible news about the puppy. I can't imagine how you are all feeling.

Finally got back out there today. Monday was a planned rest day but yesterday was impossible due to the ice. Managed a steady 13.3 this morning - probably ran a bit too fast due to the frustration of two days without!

Nice plodding everyone. Let's hope the snow has gone for the winter now!

23/01/2013 at 17:45

Never fun to fall on your backside Joolska. I'm amazed I haven't fallen over yet in the snow and ice.

23/01/2013 at 18:31

In the spirit of planning well ahead, I tested out a gel (High5, as will be provided - they say - for the MK mara) for the first time today during my 8 miles with strides. No problem, went down OK, just a slight urge to burp. And quite importantly, not too sickly sweet either.

Which brings me to a question I've never seen the answer to: why do so many sports drinks have artificial sweeteners in them? They are basically sugar solution, so why make them even sweeter? I have to seek out my no-extra-sweetener brand-of-choice out and stock up whenever I get the chance. Am I in a minority on this one? 

TR
23/01/2013 at 18:31

Jools - you need a husband and some kids that will get you shedding a few more tears !

6M at lunchtime, will have to wait and see how my knee reacts to it, Aches a bit, but didnt hurt like it did to make my put my trainers away last Monday. 

23/01/2013 at 20:03
Fingers crossed TR

In the meantime, let's all work on our social skills
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbONA5Rz1es&feature=youtube_gdata_player
23/01/2013 at 20:06
Thank you for your thoughts. It's been a miserable day but at least I got a 3 mile run in early doors and a 12 mile run tonight. I ran down at the coast where there's no snow. We've still got a good few inches here.
23/01/2013 at 20:49
Minni - sorry to hear that. So sad. Hope today's running has helped clear the head.

Ant - your training pattern looks pretty good to me. Keep plugging away. It is often not until late Feb or early March that things really start to click. I have lost about a stone since August which included an initial couple of months of calorie counting and portion control. Latterly I have slipped back to more indulgent, greedy eating and relied on the running to keep the weight off. I am now stuck at about half a stone above my target "race weight". One of the key benefits of running to my mind is to be able to eat (and drink) with impunity.

Thanks for all the welcome backs people.

5m easy on Monday and 5 more yesterday plus 6x800m on the treadmill at 15km/h for the efforts. It felt tough but good to get the first interval session in the bag. Rest today.
23/01/2013 at 21:49

Thanks again everyone for your advice. It may well be that my body is still adapting to the full-on (ish) regime of marathon training. The last 10 weeks' mileage have been, starting with the earliest, 24.4, 25.5, 27, 29.7, 35.2, 36.8, 39.9, 45.4, 50, 53. I do try to vary the routes as much as possible, but I always train alone, primarily because my unusual working hours mean I train at funny times (for normal people). I've never joined a club for the same reason.

I do recognise that I don't run my slow runs slow enough, but I find it hard to go any slower without changing my gait significantly. I did 10 miles today tring to keep it slow, but it still came out as 7:58mm.

Now the outside of my knee and my hamstring are sore - that should give me something else to worry about, at least. I may have postpone tomorrow's mornoing run to the evening.

23/01/2013 at 22:11

Ant-8 to 8.30 m/m pace always feels a nice comfy pace for me, anything faster does seem like I'm working fairy hard.

I broke my Garmin 305 last night (stood on it!! The fool I am.) I've contacted Garmin to see if they still do replacements for 50 quid, but since they are an old model I'm not too hopeful.

Googled the price for a new one and they cost a bloody fortune.  Anyone have a recomendation for a replacement? I'm screwed without it.

I downloaded the Strava app to my phone just so I'd have an idea of mileage.

12 tonight on the canal in the sludge.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.