Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

23,921 to 23,940 of 38,235 messages
24/01/2013 at 12:55

Carbloader - Rather than just running faster, how about progressing it so that every 4 - 5 miles you run 15 - 30 sec per mile faster. Maybe get up to the final 4m at Marathon - HM pace. That way you get good experience of trying to keep speed up on tired legs.

24/01/2013 at 13:56

DS2 Sorry to hear your news. So young.

Jools Thanks for reminding me, I don't have a hotel yet.

5 miles recovery today, all very straight forward. Slightly quicker than usual, but I am taking this as a good sign.

Blisters    pirate
24/01/2013 at 15:22

Hotels at this late stage?
Blimey, I used to book the hotel as I was checking out from the previous year's race. My programme would be:
-book hotel
-get qualifying time
-apply for place
-think about training
-start training
-book train tickets
-tell wife (or was that higher up the rankings?)

24/01/2013 at 15:29

East Coast tickets go on sale next Thursday.

24/01/2013 at 15:30

At least you told your wife. I know of at least one person on this thread who has competed in races whilst their partner has been under the assumption that they are at work!

edit: oops x-post. Hi Minni  

Edited: 24/01/2013 at 15:39
24/01/2013 at 15:44

Booking a hotel has been on my to-do list for a while, and I finally got round to it today.  I meant to do it before ballot places got released, natch, and certainly before the hotels realised the significance of the date (the difference in price for my Saturday night as opposed to the Friday and Sunday is toe-curling!), but c'est la vie...

Edited: 24/01/2013 at 15:44
24/01/2013 at 15:45

24/01/2013 at 15:46

Keir - we've got that face thing going on again.....

24/01/2013 at 16:41

Thanks for all of your sympathy messages everyone. Was a bit devastating when my wife phoned me at work to let me know. Even though we knew it was happening this week it didn't help with the feeling of loss much.

moof/OO - to lose a parent at such a young age must have been awful. I just can't imagine. My Dad destroyed his health through smoking and has been disabled for 16 years because of it. My business partner smokes and is so unhealthy - but he doesn't seem to worry about his health as much as I do!!!

As poacher said, there can't be many families not affected by the b*stard disease - part of life nowadays, but no easier for those affected, I guess.

minni - I really appreciate my health nowadays and feel glad to be able to get out there and run. Being a little mad helps! How are you bearing up?

Ant/Poacher - I have to do a soft reboot everytime I want to switch my 305 on and it's stopped measuring the elevation or mapping on connect. Do you think I should contact Garmin to see what they think about a replacement. Wouldn't mind a new 310 instead

FINgers - work can be such an inconvenience!! Don't people realise you have a marathon to prepare for?

Jools - good brinkmanship on the hotel. Scooby - hope you have similar luck!

24/01/2013 at 16:56

Hello all! It's been forever since I last posted here but I am back and running Rome marathon this coming March. Realistic target about 4hrs so apologies if should be posting on a different thread. Doing most of my running at lunch time and weekends. Not following a specific schedule but slowly increasing mileage every week. Doing on average 35-40 miles per week. Planning slow 18 miles this Sunday. I have entered several races including 2 half marathons and some odd distances like 10 miles and 15k in the next couple of months. Finding it a hard trying to squeeze quality sessions into my lunch break (75 min) - mostly concentrate on speedwork and hills of which there are plenty in a nearby park. Wondered if anyone else is training during their lunch and what sort of training do you tend to do (sprints, fartlek, hill work etc)?

24/01/2013 at 16:57
DS2- I'd send Garmin an email as you never know your luck......just, err, leave it a couple of days! Ta.
24/01/2013 at 17:03

I guess I need to think about booking a hotel then....

24/01/2013 at 18:07

Hi Upsy, I do much of my training at lunch, the clue is in the name.

But I've found that as I have been ramping up the mileage (up to 40 ish), I've had to occasionally do a run after work instead (an MLR or LSR), and once or twice a week I just take a really long lunch break to fit the runs in. Like you, I used to try to stick to under 75 min, but I just can't fit the required training in to that. So basically I'll fit any kind of run in at lunch. I find that if you are going to shave time off your working day, people notice it less around the middle of the day.

Blisters    pirate
24/01/2013 at 18:30

6+ miles plod around the hamster wheel. Why is it that every time I spot another runner ahead of me they turn off just before I catch them?

24/01/2013 at 18:41

19mi long done @7.58 pace last 4 mi slightly quicker, have slowed down my longer runs considerably now. also feeling the accuulated fatigue associated with the mileage i have been doing.

Keir-Yes i have done progressive runs before when i was running the long runs too fast and was only running around 30 mp. Im up to 45 mpw now so for the time being i have slowed down my runs and concentrated on time on feet.

24/01/2013 at 18:46

Welcome back, UD.  Hope things have gone well for you in your absence from the forums!  I'm afraid I tend to be a morning/evening runner rather than a lunchtime runner, but I'd have thought a 75 minute slot should the majority of sessions you'd need for marathon running apart from a medium long run or a long run.  You could just fit in a short tempo-lite session such as 15 minutes' warm up jog, 45 minutes @ marathon pace, 15 minutes cool down, for instance, or something like 4 or 5 x 1M reps off 1-2 minutes jog recovery.  Although it has to be said I favour quantity over quality so am not best placed to advise on the actual sessions...

24/01/2013 at 20:13
Crap news DS2. Carpe diem and all that

Blisters. They can sense your manly aura approaching and it must spook them. That or the Lynx
24/01/2013 at 20:58

Thank you for the welcome back, Joolska. Hi LunchtimeRunner. I have had another baby who is now 10 months so that kept me busy! I have been staying pretty active throughout but not done any marathons since Paris 2011 however had a place in NY and Florence  

I tend to do tempo reps and hills but it gets a bit boring after a while of doing the same thing along the same route. So yeah sometimes it feels like any kind of run is better than none. Another thing for lunch time running - what do you have to eat after? I find that when I get back to work at the end of my lunch break I cannot really get my sandwiches / salad / soup out as I've got to get back to work! Any suggestions of a quick/nutritious lunch/snack I could have? I usually go for banana and a chocolate soya milk but I know it's not enough and often find myself starving hungry very soon after.

24/01/2013 at 21:05
Another double for me today but only managed 6 of my planned 8 tonight as the snow turns to ice before more snow comes tomorrow.

DS2 - I am feeling a bit better today thanks.
24/01/2013 at 21:54

Hotels - bin them..... I use a school PTA near Greenwich that parents offer B&B the night before along with a pasta party at the school all for £50 to the school..... cant get better than that...... if you want details please message me and I will forward details, cannot guarentee places....

Bramley 20m I shall be doing 4 x 5m chunks progressive....

Complete and funny stack on warm up tonight and got plastered in mud.... ran over a snow bank (grass underneath) snow runs out on bank to reveal a mud bank and had no grip and hit it like black ice and went flying 5m or so down the rest of the bank on my back then front...... glad no one was watching..... no damage as a good soft landing......managed to avoid falling over in the smow and ice over the last week.... typical me.... Thankfully all clean now after a nice hot bath.....

Anyway a good session done - 15 mins easy (1.93m) 3 x 8 mins (1.25m / 1.26m / 1.27m) of 90 sec rec 15 min easy (1.90m) done in 58:30 and 8.14m covered.

Take care

PS Welcome Upsy Daisey

Edited: 24/01/2013 at 21:55
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.