Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

24,001 to 24,020 of 37,200 messages
24/01/2013 at 22:08

Hello Upsy - I'm a morning/evening boy myself, sorry I can't be of more help.

RFJ - That stack of yours can only now be described as funny as you've lived to tell the tale...

Picked my way gingerly through the streets for 4 miles tonight, terrified lest the hammy went twaaaang or pop, but thankfully got home in one piece. Game back on.

24/01/2013 at 23:52
Hey there UD....

Lunchtime runner here also, I'm lucky as I have an understanding boss and also a job that doesn't leave me chained to a desk so if I'm not sat there people just assume I'm out and about on site or something.

I don't know what you do for w*rk but I've found that in most places I've worked I just eat my lunch when I get back while reading (ahem) emails/reports - people don't seem bothered.

I also let them believe that I'm a "serious" runner - they like that and almost think that they are part of your journey/helping out in someway so again almost encourage you to go out.

The most I can get away with is about 90mins occasionally including shower time so 10miles is about my limit for lunchtime.

That'll be all.
25/01/2013 at 06:40

Lorenzo - good snowy hills.
Jools - hope more stretching does the trick. Did your friend find a room somewhere else?
CL - how did the long run go? Ah, OK I see.
SD - sounds promising.
DS2 - take care of yourself.
UD - welcome back. My lunch-break is only 45 mins, so usually just some cross-training for me (walk home and back again).
Blisters - need to work on your stealth.
Minni - well done on the double. More snow forecast here too and just as it was beginning to clear!
RFJ - glad no damage done and a good session in the bag.
Ant - good news.
FINgers - I can't wait till lunchtime for my lunch let alone afterwards. I'm usually tucking into my sandwiches by 11:15
Abandonned the field today and did 3 slow mile on the roads.

25/01/2013 at 06:52

DS2 - Forgot to say before - Your 305 sounds like it's on its last legs. I would definitely get in touch with Garmin and start hounding them for a replacement.

Gul - You must be pleased to be out of that field...aren't you?

25/01/2013 at 08:22
Crap news DS2. Take care now

Welcome Upsy!
I work across 2 locations. My base work place only has a 30min lunch and no facilites for sport at all (unless you count braving the persistent wind as resistance training) plus I generally work right through and just eat when I can. Its also too far away to run in and there is only one road to cycle which has a high body count so doesn't appeal. When I'm at our customer's offices for 2 days per week I am also too busy but the facilities are excellent - gym and classes through the day, lots of running groups head out at lunch and even have football pitches and tennis courts! How the other half live... So it's before and after work for me and heavy (3 day) weekends.
25/01/2013 at 09:01
Morning all,

Sorry to jump straight in with a question, I'll read back after but this has been bugging me overnight....

Opinions needed please - I can't decide if yesterday was a good session or not... The prescribed session was a 10mile progression starting at 8:10 m/m and increasing by 10secs a mile thereafter. Clearly however the recent reduced running meant that I set off with a spring in my step, coupled with a garmin wobbly I miss judged the first couple of miles and went a little too fast. So at 3mile I decided to pick the pace up just a little to around tempo/pmp and try to maintain for the last 7.

Now whilst therefore I think a session of 7m at pmp might sound good, they were tough miles towards the end. And here is my dilemma - whilst I wouldn't expect PMP to feel easy at this stage (good session feel), in October I ran the Cabbage Patch 10 at nearly 5minutes quicker and that was if very limited training (bad session feeling).

I suppose the dilemma is more a question to you - is this common, it's been a while since I've had some consistent training and I'm struggling to remember what I'm "supposed" to feel like at this stage...

Any opinions would be welcome - cheers.

Right, time for a read back over my morning coffee.
25/01/2013 at 09:27
It's common and its supposed to feel hard. Nothing to worry about. Just bag the miles (they all count) and move on to the next session.

Heard some coach or other talking about the differences between African and European runners a while ago and one thing they highlighted was that if the Africans have a "bad" session they forget about it and move on immediately whereas the Europeans agonise over it and burn mental energy.
25/01/2013 at 09:49

Upsy Welcome back. I do all my running either before or after work, so can be of no help.

FINgers this is also something I spend to much time stressing over runs and the feel of paces. As I posted earlier in the week I accidently ran 8 miles at PMP, whereas 10 days before I couldn't run MP for 4 miles. We have good and bad sessions and SJ is right about moving on (even though I don't).

Hotel booked. You have got a stalker Jools, the family and myself are in Premier inn Waterloo on the Sat and Sun night. 

Edited: 25/01/2013 at 09:52
25/01/2013 at 10:03
Gul - to be fair if I got up at the time that you do each day I'd be starving by 11!
Edited: 25/01/2013 at 10:04
25/01/2013 at 10:06
SJ/SD - thanks for the replies, but you see the thing is , I'm not actually stressing over a bad session, it's more that I can't decide if it is a bad session or not!...
25/01/2013 at 10:18

Fingers - You say you have reduced running recently. Although you might feel fresher after a rest, it takes time for the body to readjust to the effort levels and it might be the case that with your fast start your recently rested body might have put the blockers on   (central governor) to stop you continuing in that vein.

So forget how hard you perceived to be. If you covered 7m @ PMP you should be pretty happy. 

25/01/2013 at 10:59

Oh, one more thing, forgot to mention that my latest blog is up... It's vaguley running related it you're interested....  My Blog

25/01/2013 at 12:17

Fingers

For tempo runs, I started off where I finished last year - expecting to be churn out miles at my half marathon pace. I ran my first tempo miles (9 miles with 5 @ 6:15pace)  and although I was only just slower, I was pretty wacked afterwards. It was then that I reminded myself that I have a different approach this year. So now I am running tempos on effort, and occassionally look at heart rate while running. Pace is something that I am vauguely interested in afterwards, and as I don't tend to run the same stretch each time, don't really overanalyse it.  So long as I ran in the range 82%-91% MaxHR, then I put a tick in the box and move on.

25/01/2013 at 12:18

Upsy, I did Paris 2011 hope you enjoyed as much as I did.

6 for me last night, still not running great but the parkrun this week should give me an indication- if it's not snowed off.

I better look at hotels this w/end....

25/01/2013 at 12:22

FINgers - The main thing is that you got the session done, and well done. Of course it is going to feel hard, esp towards the end. Tick the box and look forward from here.

4M on the treadmill for me, and hamstring feeling really tight in the final minutes. Luckily my osteopath/fizz/Gran Inquisidor had an hour free, so I went to see him. Extreme agony ensued, involving pressing, kneading and stretching to unimaginable limits, and then I was declared fit again. 

25/01/2013 at 12:33

Ant Sounds fun

10 miles bagged in 8:06 pace, it just started snowing very lightly when I left the house.

25/01/2013 at 12:42

***ALERT***

Anyone travelling on the Northeast line - tickets are released for travel on the Friday.  I've just booked four tickets for £58.

25/01/2013 at 13:41

Ant - yes, but I bet I haven't seen the last of it yet... Sounds brutal, but effective.
FINgers - although it might be hard to gauge that session in terms of performance, it's got to have had a positive effect. So that counts as a good one in my book!
SD - Waterloo is obviously the place to be. Well done on beating the snow.
OO - Not surprisingly, I've heard on the grapevine that KL parkrun is cancelled. As I've already done 2 reasonable quality sessions this week (and a cut-back one at that) I think I'll just take it easy instead.
Time to get back to afternoon snacks... (malt-loaf and lots of fruit).

Edited: 25/01/2013 at 13:41
Blisters    pirate
25/01/2013 at 14:49

Fin, and others.
I normally find that if I am trying to do a few marathon paced miles at any time it feels darned hard, if it's in the middle of a long streak of daily training and 50 mile weeks. It can be depressing. The only exception is when I do a 4 or 5 mile race midweek. Then I'd be doing almost 1 minute a mile faster, and expecting it to be hard.

Get the taper right, and it will all click.

(Just 6 miles for me last night, calf tightness)
Swim later. today.

25/01/2013 at 19:41

Looks like I'll be missing out on the Midlands XC tomorrow as I can't afford the petrol on my own. I thought I had a lift sorted but... 

365 days until I become a veteran. 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.