Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

24,081 to 24,100 of 37,176 messages
28/01/2013 at 15:35
Impressive reps AR.

Keir - no aching during the run itself. Hoping it's just a run of the mill ache. Will take it easy tomorrow morning.
28/01/2013 at 16:59

First bad session of the campaign today. Was supposed to be doing 9m with 5m at lac threshold, but could only manage 7m with 3m at LT. I just couldn't do it, was really struggling from about 2m into the LT section. Really disappointing, as this sort of thing never happens to me! My explanantion is that I must still be suffering more than I expected from the 15m in/on icy slush I did on saturday. Or maybe it's that 40+ weeks are getting to me.

28/01/2013 at 17:10

LR, happends to me all the time. That's the problem with plans, they take no account of how you feel on a particular day.   

28/01/2013 at 17:14

Ant - there's nothing like a shortness of time to focus the mind!

LunchtimeRunner - I had a session like that on Friday. Had exactly the same feeling as you and just couldn't run at any pace even for two miles that I wanted to run at threshold pace. I had a complete rest day on Saturday and then ran far better than expected in my 10 mile race on Sunday with every mile faster than I could manage for one two days before. I, too, put it down to the fatigue from the successive higher mileage weeks. Hope you feel fresher tomorrow!

OO - I was banking on you saying that those feeling disappear as a V50!

28/01/2013 at 17:59

Thanks, guys. Good to know it is not just me. I'll do a recovery run or maybe even rest tomorrow. I have a 16 miles with 10 at MP planned for later this week. I'm going to need to feel fresh for that ...

28/01/2013 at 18:13

Jools/Speedy – impressive, full-on weekend of running with the XCs and LRs.

DS2 – nice 10-miler there on what sounds like a tough course and conditions.

Also – Ran: seriously quick intervals.  Sounds like one of those sessions that are great once they are over and in the bag!

Lunchtime runner – easier said than done but best just to forget about those sessions and move on to the next.  It is still 7m in the bank.  That 16m with 10 at MP you have planned is a monster session!  P&D has something similar in store for me in a week or so (16 with 12 at MP) and I’m not convinced I can do it on a solo run. This type of thing works well as part of a 20m race.

Kier – get well soon!

Well done on the LRs everyone - not the easiest weekend for it one way or another.

I managed 18.6m at 8.31 av pace in the wind and hail yesterday plus a 5m plod in the snow on Saturday.  Hope to plod 5 or 6 more tonight.

I read “Running with the Kenyans” by Adharanand Finn over the weekend.  My fascination with the subject matter kept me ploughing through it despite all the cheesiness and the liberal use of journalistic licence.  An entertaining enough read but I couldn’t help thinking of it as “A Year In Provence” for runners.

28/01/2013 at 23:50

Fairplay to everyone on here for digging in i think we have all got over the worst part of the weather and training for the month lol.

I have cranked out 175 miles this month which for me someone who has blagged his last 3 marathons on 25mpw is quite large lol, heres to hoping London wont hurt as much.

Ok did a 11 mile tempo/steadystate smash up today went out easyish(uphill and headwind) and came back last 4 mi @6.48 and average 6.57 for total run. I still have no idea of my mara pace as long as it come out at around at 7.15 pace ill be happy, Although i do have a Hm in march.

29/01/2013 at 06:36

AR - cracking set of reps.
Keir - hope the lurgy has goes quickly.
Ant - hope the progressive session gives you a confidence boost.
LR - just try and put it behind you. Just a blip.
GE - excellent long run in the wind and hail.
CL - good mileage on the clock and nice tempo run to boot. HM should give you an idea of MP.
My right calf suddenly went very tight when walking yesterday and became very painful for quite a while. I found a sore point and gave it a bit of a massage later.  Feels better this morning, but playing it safe and having a rest today. Well, that's my excuse for not doing any reps this morning!

29/01/2013 at 07:21

That's strange Gul probably wise to have a day off.

Golden eagle, our sessions are almost identical for the last 3 days. My 6 last night was split into 2*3 with a 2 min. rest in the middle. Outward leg was 8 min. pace, return was at 7:30 pace in strong cross winds.

29/01/2013 at 09:54

I've still got a Christmas pudding to eat.

Gul - Yes, a day off won't hurt, quite the opposite.

Carbloader - 11M tempo @ 6:57mm? Woof. Nice going. 

Did my progressive run this morning and it was a great confidence booster without being anything spectacular. Stats were:

3.68km w/u @ 7:50mm
10mins @ 7:13mm
10mins @ 6:50mm
10mins @ 6:22mm
3.23kms home @ 7:10mm

A nice little hour's work, only stopping for a 1-minute heart-attack break after the fastest 10-min segment. Felt like hard work, but doable. Probably tougher psychologically then anything else.

JD3
29/01/2013 at 10:46

I hope that you're all albe to get back to proper training now, no more snow enforced plodding.

LTR - In my very limited experince the best thing to do with a bad session, is forget it ever happened- you might not be plesaed witrh it, but don't let this session spook you for the next time a LT session comes around.

Gul -  I hope that your calf clears up quickly- a rest sounds like the sensible approach. I remember reading somewhre that you can make a 'foam roller' of sorts with a 2L coke bottle. (Would like to add a disclaimer against any possible mess caused)

Ant - that looks like a very good progression session

Some good long runs in the respective bags recently,

Since I'm not doing a marathon this spring (am i still allowed on this thread?) I have been sticking to 15 milers as my long runs. This week was 9M steady (7.57) 3M MP (c7.15) then 3M HMP (c6.50) for a 7.3x average. The MP fetl easy, but the HMP was a bit of a push, I couldn't get into a rythym at that pace.

What would be considered a good indicator of current HM pace? I have some HMs coming up and want to know where I stand before getting to them- does 10k @ HMP?

JD3
JD3
29/01/2013 at 10:48

On another note- I know that some people use beats/mile as a measure of efficiency, but I have been looking at  Speed / % HRR. Does anyone have any thoughts?

JD3
29/01/2013 at 12:38

If I did a HM today JD3 I think I'd manage about 1:24. 2-3 mins down on my best.

Tough session Ant. I'd struggle with the last one at 6:22 pace. Requires discipline when you are training alone.  

29/01/2013 at 12:49

Is that this weeks Marathon talk training session Ant?

I use Pace v %Max HR to assess my progressing fitness over time JD3 - The HADD way

Speaking of which, 75% max HR run today (141bpm), Due to cold HR a bit higher than normal so pace was slower - 8.15m/m for 11.5m = 1hr 33min. Drizzle coming of the channel was actually quite pleasent but fogged up my headtorch light so it was a case of relying on memory for dodging potholes and puddles. 

29/01/2013 at 14:15

Keir - Yes, that was indeed the MT job. Incidentally, that is the first time I have ever set my Garmin for an 'Advanced Workout'.  Plenty of 'Interval Workouts', but never Advanced...till today. What can it all mean?

Lunchtime - If you were feeling a bit tired, maybe you were a tad over-ambitious in your objective for that run. In any case 7M with 3 @ LT is still a very decent effort. Don't be too hard on yourself.

JD3 - I don't know, maybe it's just me, but I've always found that there are so many variables in play with your HR, and various different formulae for calculating your max, working max, etc. that I've never bothered with it. I do wear a HRM, but I tend only to look at the average and the max, and make infrequent comparisons over time. At the end of a race, no-one has ever come up to me and congratulated me on my HR. Well, or on anything, in fact...

29/01/2013 at 14:22

Ant - I always use the Advanced Workout function.  

Gul - hope the calf isn't anything to worry about.  I wish I had a sore calf - I don't think I will have the energy for my intervals tonight.

29/01/2013 at 14:26

Minni - a) Clever clogs b) Slacker

That's why they call us the CCSTFT!

29/01/2013 at 14:29

Ah, and yet we are still winning....

I mean ahead.....

Its not a competition.....

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.