Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

24,081 to 24,100 of 37,387 messages
31/01/2013 at 13:10
DS2 wrote (see)

Glad it's not just me that is feeling this way at the moment. I've lost my way in the past when I haven't been properly in touch on here and I have to say it is making all the difference seeing everyone else doing it.

Totally.  When marathon training I make sure I log it on here, Jantastic, RW v Fetch monthly competition, fetch, relevant spreadsheets and report to Moz.  That way its ultimate humiliation if I fall off the rails.

31/01/2013 at 13:25
Also-ran wrote (see)

I think PMJ is up and running - I occassionally look at the Moraghan Training - Stevie G thread to find out what some of the speedy runners do in their sessions

Good news.

31/01/2013 at 13:27

Last year (pre-baby) my wife used to go to pilates in the evening. For ages she couldn't understand why my 3yr old son kept asking her the next morning if she had 'found any treasure!'

31/01/2013 at 14:00

Slokey - as I read your comment on posture I found myself pulling myself up from my slumped, round shouldered position at my desk.....

Golden Eagle - I too seem to have gotten myself below 12st and have hung there for a few days as well Just plodded 4.8 miles at about the same pace as you last night. I'm beginning to get the hang of these slow runs.

minni - that seems a good idea. Bit of self-policing might be what I need as well.

Gul - pleased to hear about PMJ.

Keir - kids of that age are a constant source of amusement - not that I'd wish to be back there, mind

31/01/2013 at 15:32

Nice session Minni

Gul - Good stats.  I tried very hard not to add up my mileage for the month after seeing your stats.  Alas I failed and I have to report only 111 miles for the month. Hopefully it all on the up from now. 

Golden Eagle and DS2 - nothing wrong with a nice slow run. 

Today's run featured me with a HRM, but the Garmin didn't detect it so I thought it was time for a new battery.  I realised later that the settings were lost when I updated the SW in my Garmin.  Once I paired it again all was fine.

6 miles at 8:33 pace this lunchtime.  Fire alarm went of just as I was back to the office so everyone amused by me standing in the carpark in my shorts.

I won't be doing pilates anytime soon as my wife finds my streching amusing enough

31/01/2013 at 21:09

Well I've had enough of skating on ice so I'm glad all that white stuff has gone, nice to be running in gale force winds!

Some great training going on and well done to everyone for getting out in less than ideal conditions. As has been said by others, plenty of inspiration on this thread to  encouraging me/ all of us to get out there.

Also Ran- Pilates, maybe good for core strength  and maybe good for flexibility so if you're getting flack for not being bendy enough get the instuctor out for a 10 mile tempo run, because it does jack sh1t for fitness. I'm amazed how many people do this as their only source of getting into 'shape'. 

The running for me has been going great at the moment and am starting to feel in half decent shape, my weight has dipped under 11st for the first time in about 28 years.

My stats for January are 289 miles, 31 runs and too much booze, which I did promise to give up. Anyone else managed a dry spell?

31/01/2013 at 21:26

moof - I know what you are saying re: pilates. I think it definitely has it place but I never saw it as a fitness thing. Do people then?

I didn't drink from New years eve until after my race on Sunday last weekend. I didn't intend to have a drink but in the end the 'streak' was becoming an issue so I had a glass of wine with dinner and decided when I fancy one from now on I will have one!

Fantastic miles and amazing weight situation!

177 miles from 20 runs for me. Not too bad but dampened by a cold in the first week and then the snow. Hoping to do 200+ this month over 24 runs.

31/01/2013 at 21:31

My physio has warned me off any sort of abs or core work, apart from obliques, until I have absolutely zero discomfort from my pubalgia, which is not the case yet. It is loads better, but from time to time it taps me on the proverbial shoulder just to let me know it's still there. Whoever it was on here was dead right when he talked about injuries recurring just to show who's boss: I liken the situation to one where a bitterly-regretted extra-marital adventure leads to the spurned lover showing herself at intervals (no, no those intervals)  and threatening to embarrass you publicly one day.

All right, that's January out of the way, d & d, and the scores on the doors are these:

212 miles
26:58:25
av 7:38mm
26 runs
Trips to gym: 8 

31/01/2013 at 21:34

I should have said that this thread is totally inspirational, motivational and...just sensational.

31/01/2013 at 21:40

Good stats from peeps out there - Ant, I'm surprised that you haven't posted the average temperature during your runs just to make us all feel jealous.

219 miles for me in Jan across 23 runs - pleased that I've managed to get some decent length midweek runs in there as well as a couple of 20 milers. Not a dry month, and no chance of Feb being dry with a trip to Twickenham on Saturday to watch the boys in white hammer the auld enemy!!

Finished the month off this morning with just under 12 miles, most of which was in the wind and rain, but enjoyable nonetheless especially the sweep down through Denbies vineyard.

Rest day tomorrow, so might even have a lie-in until 6.00. 

31/01/2013 at 21:52

Lorenzo - Happy to oblige:

Av temp on my Jan runs (ºC) : 7.2
Max 13 Min 3

Meant to say earlier: FINgers, have you had any feedback from your fellow passengers?

31/01/2013 at 22:04
245 for me over lots of runs in every type of weather.

When is Poacher back?

Lorenzo - meant to say, no beet juice yet but will probably down sone the week before my half.

Intervals tomorrow night. Should I do my 20 with company on Saturday or wait another day and do it myself on Sunday (which will be running to the coast to watch master Minni play rugby then getting a lift home)?
Blisters    pirate
31/01/2013 at 22:29

Having read the thread, I see the usual ups and downs associated with this time of year.

I guess that I'm on a bit of a dip at the moment. I was on great form on the day of my planned marathon, shame about the weather, and shame that I chose the wrong shoes for my 15 mile slippery trot. The calf is settling down, but not gone away, self limiting to 7 miles every other day if timetables allow (they don't).

Swimming continues to be unaffected. I managed three times last week, and will do at least 2 this week. Biking's OK too, but not far. The rear wheel is being a bit graunchy.

31/01/2013 at 23:59

I thought you drank beet juice all the time Minni! I think I'll stock up on some next week. I've taking the effervescent tablets at the moment which is quite interesting with the urine colour. Going to be interesting to see what beetroot juice does as well!

Some good monthly totals being logged for January esp Minni, Lorenzo & Ant. Like the temperature stat. I made a note of petrol prices last year the cost per litre started off at £1.29 at the start of the campaign and was up to £1.37 by mid April. Not sure how many miles I've done this month, probably only about 180 as I just got up to 49 miles last week & hopefully mid 50's by Sunday.

01/02/2013 at 06:36

Keir - Ahrrrrrrr! (Sorry, couldn't resist).
Great stats everyone.
Flying visit this morning - just did 12 mind-numbingly slow miles as 9:06 m/m.

01/02/2013 at 08:12
Just to save everyone the calculation, that means Gul did just under one and three quarters hours worth of running and was still able to post at 6:36am!!!

I on the other hand enjoyed my rest day.
01/02/2013 at 08:39

As said, so great January mileage. Looking forward to some lighter mornings

Blisters - considering the problem you are getting plenty of training in, albeit not so much running as you would like.

KR - I gave up looking too closely at the price of fuel. Too depressing. Glad to see that the latest review decided that the fuel industry is an efficient market though - well it is for the tax man!

Gul - impressive early start, as ever How was the weather? i was due to plod 11 this morning but have deferred to later in the day because the rain is meant to subside here. it was p*ssing down here at 6.30am and i just didn't fancy it knowing the weather was going to improve. I will report back later as to whether it was the right decision.

Lorenzo - good maths! Enjoy the rest day!

01/02/2013 at 08:58

Lorenzo - correct. 1:48:59 in fact. So it was actually 9:05 m/m. Good resting.
DS2 - no rain; a bit windy, but not too excessive. I think my watch said 4:38am when I started. Schedule has been disrupted this week. Firstly by the rest day on Tuesday and secondly because we have a family day out to the Harry Potter studios tomorrow and need to get everyone up and ready to set off at 7am. So the plan is a 3 mile recovery run in the morning and 8 mile steady/mp run on Sunday.

Edited: 01/02/2013 at 08:59
01/02/2013 at 09:34

Gul - still faster than me ! 
Minni - you know the saying "don't put off 'til tomorrow . . . .etc" - so, Saturday ! 
Best day for long run anyway, in my view - leaves Sat night free for your glass of something . . . .
Speaking of Sat runs - what a difference a year makes - one year ago tomorrow had just completed 5th 20 miler of the Boston buildup, and my injury problems were about to start  . . . however I'm now cautiously optimistic that I'm mechanically OK (a massive 86 miles in Jan) , so have devised a "get back into it but in a sensible way" plan.

01/02/2013 at 09:35

Gul - I didn't thin k it possible, but you appear to have out-Guled yourself.

A 10k tempo kind of dash for me today in 41:38, which is 6:43mm, av HR 146bpm. The trouble with my doing this kind of runs that is hardly any flat ground round here, so every couple of minutes you've got to negiotate a hill of some sort. Still, I suppose it's good for leg strength...

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.