Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

24,121 to 24,140 of 35,763 messages
30/01/2013 at 15:05

I am following the P&D up to 70 mpw 24 week plan from the 1st edition.  6M recovery this morning was creaky and I'm a bit worried my left shoulder/neck feels slightly tight - exactly where I had problems 2 months ago...  Hopefully it can make it through tomorrow (11M incl 6 @ HMP, allegedly) and then I've got sports massage.

Sounds painful, Fingers.

30/01/2013 at 15:18
Golden_Eagle wrote (see)
Also-Ran - wow. I couldn't race 7m at that pace let alone at 6am as part of a 14 mile training run. Do you already have a sub 3 to your name?

Yes - I have one 'unconventional' sub3 in the bag. I had a go and flopped at 3:04, so stupidity took over and I ran sub3 the next weekend. Never to be repeated and certainly not advice I would give out

30/01/2013 at 15:24

AR - Don't put that face after that statement. Put into context your sub 3 is a heroic performance!

30/01/2013 at 15:48
Joolska wrote (see)

Sounds painful, Fingers.

Mostly my pride...

30/01/2013 at 17:02

No you are right AR. I did back to back marathons in 2010 (London and Paris). Although the times were similar I got injured so I wouln't do that again. 

30/01/2013 at 19:22

Quick question, Is it worth throwing in a cutback week to assist with recovery etc?.

I have run 191 miles this month and i can feel the accumulated fatigue from winding up the milage, i have noticed i have lost a bit of topend speed too presumably from the aformentioned fatigue in the legs.

Advice welcome

30/01/2013 at 19:43

Carbloader wrote (see)

Quick question, Is it worth throwing in a cutback week to assist with recovery etc?.

I have run 191 miles this month and i can feel the accumulated fatigue from winding up the milage, i have noticed i have lost a bit of topend speed too presumably from the aformentioned fatigue in the legs.

Advice welcome

Depends on circumstances and what you want to acheive.

If you're just a bit tired and missing the buzz of running fast (at an "easy" effort) then if you cut back you may get the speed back but you'll compromise your endurance efforts. If the marathon is your A target then do you require work on your endurance or your speed?

It's a different answer if you are carrying an injury or niggle, a cut back week would enable your body to recover a bit.

Havn't had much time to post recently, but enjoying the pics and tales.

Just steady running from me these days generally in the wind and rain. Today there was snow again.

Edited: 30/01/2013 at 19:44
30/01/2013 at 21:34

Good laugh, this running lark, isn't it? Running through treacle, miserable loops round a windswept park, falls on a**es and I don't know what else...

I was out in short sleeves and shorts (and gloves) this morning for 12 miles @ 7:40mm. Felt good, but knees were aching a bit at the end, a tell-tale that it's time to renew my trainers. I've done just over 400 miles on them but have been a bit heavy, and doing all my running on the road, it takes its toll.

30/01/2013 at 22:58

Ditto ANT - Trainers renewed and as a result spent last night popping both of my middle toes - the nails will probably drop off mid april some time

Been a thoroughbly miserable couple of weeks of running for most but its through lurking on forums like this that you get the encouragement to get up and out. Managed to stay on track and now looking forward to some runs in comfortable weather.

31/01/2013 at 05:59

Mennania - It's all good weight loss.

31/01/2013 at 06:24

SJ - very irritating indeed.
AR - stonking tempo run.
OO - pink parkrun - is that just WB or generally?
DS2 - sounds like one  to forget; well done on toughing it out.
Bike It - I've only just put the shorts away!
FINgers - Nightmare! Get well soon.
GE - not ideal conditions for a tempo run! Hope it goes better today.
Jools - thats a pain in the neck. I'll get my coat... Hope the massage sorts it out.
CL - I always make every 4th week a cutback week, but that's to try and help avoid injury. Basically, as OGL said.
OGL - snow! No more, please.
Ant - good MLR.
Mennania - hope things pick up for you now.
3 mile recovery run completed a while ago.

31/01/2013 at 06:46
I completely agree with what DS2 and Mennania said about getting encouragement to get out from here. When I wonder if I can be bothered I just think of logging on here and reading about everyone else getting it done and juggling with life and it puts me in my place.

Tempo last night in the howling wind with 4 miles @ MP and pleased to report hitting the pace wasn't a problem and felt quite comfortable. Looks like I've got over my tiredness.

4 miles in the pissing rain, but no wind, this morning. I wish the weather would just GO AWAY!!!
31/01/2013 at 06:51
My 4th Beginners pilates class last night. Once again the least flexible pupil - and teacher likes the class to know. Dunces cap required. My wife just laughs through the whole thing.

SJ - how is the pilates working out for you. It seems to draw attention to problems I wasn't aware of - leading to more stress
31/01/2013 at 07:52
Tried something new today...

Normally, well most days, I walk to and from the station (about 1.5m in total) and get train into work. Well this morning I stuck on my kit and ran to the station adding on a couple if extra miles too. I figured if I'm walking I might as well run. So that's 3.5m easy in the bag already today with 10 to come at lunch. Seemed to go well this morning so might add this to my regular training for a few cheap extra miles each week.

AR - and other Pilates people - are you finding it helps your core etc? I'm awful at doing core stuff generally so am looking for new ways to encourage myself.

Happy running y'all.
31/01/2013 at 08:00
CL - yes I absolutely recommend a cut back week - I usually back off to about 60-70% of the average miles over the last 3weeks. You need to give your body a chance to recover and rebuild otherwise you'll end up injured. IMHO.
Also, I read somewhere (Hadd I think) that mitocondria growth/re growth is about 4weeks so I figure every 4th week it pays to almost give them a chance to "bed-in". There's absolutely zero science behind my thinking in that last statement by the way....
31/01/2013 at 08:43

Minni - looking promising. Shame about the weather.
AR - don't think I'd dare to join a pilates class - sounds far too scary.
FINgers - good way to add some extra mileage.
Not sure how PMJ is doing; recovering from PF, I presume. In the meantime, here are my stats for January.26 runs, 174 miles in 24hr 5mis 6secs = 8:18 m/m.

31/01/2013 at 08:52

Glad it's not just me that is feeling this way at the moment. I've lost my way in the past when I haven't been properly in touch on here and I have to say it is making all the difference seeing everyone else doing it.

Weather first thing was horrendous but it seems to be improving now and luckily I have planned my RR for lunchtime. Minni - well done on being out there early in it.

FINgers - I ended up with a bit of an involuntary cut back week last week and I think it did me good. it sort of gave me an unintended mini taper for my race. i think it's good for the mind when you are doing the heavy weeks in rotten weather to know that if you get through the week a slightly easier one lies ahead.

Gul - liking the fact that you get up so early, run D&D and then you summarise everyone elses activity so I don't need to read back too far!

I agree, it would be great to hear from PMJ. One of the people that offered most help to me when I first joined this thread. Be interested to hear how things are progressing.

I need to do pilates!!!!!!!!!!

31/01/2013 at 12:26

FINgers - It's early days for me with the pilates - what it seems to have done is expose my weaknesses. I've booked up for a further 4 sessions in the hope that it may help with a long standing strain. At the moment I find it more informative on the stretching side rather than the strengthening side. I have a routine my physio gave me for strengthing which I feel hits the spotsI use this to keep ongoing injuries at bay.

DS2 - hope the weather improves. It was blowing a gale earlier on

I think PMJ is up and running - I occassionally look at the Moraghan Training - Stevie G thread to find out what some of the speedy runners do in their sessions - http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/training/moraghan-training---stevie-g/156312-755.html 

Gul - good start to the year and  good to get some stats in PMJ's absense

31/01/2013 at 13:05
CL, if you're asking you probably need a cutback week. Most plans have them every 4 weeks or so.

AR, I'm enjoying the Pilates but I've come in right at the top of the class I'm quite flexible and core seems already strong from previous sports history but it has highlighted a couple of issues on hip range of motion and my ability to keep the core engaged rather than slump. I've noticed an improvement in my awareness of body position so am more often correcting posture when sitting and when (occasionally) running. Certainly not doing any harm.
31/01/2013 at 13:08

Yes - these are the hard miles right now.  In the cold and the dark.  The wind, rain snow and ice.  The end nowhere in sight.  But it will all be worth it come April.

A-R - just goes to show there are more ways than one to skin a cat (your unconventional sub 3, I mean)!

Gul - that's a good month of running in the bank.  I'm not logging runs this time round.  Just looking at the HR and pace stats for each run once it is done then forgetting about it.  One less thing to think about.  Only thing I know about my Jan total is that I need to add 11m to it by the end of the day with 6 of them at tempo pace!

5m plod home from work last night came in at 8:56 pace.  May be a new PW!

In the good news column I appear to have dipped marginally under 12st, which is progress of sorts.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.