Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

24,181 to 24,200 of 35,830 messages
02/02/2013 at 07:34
OO- I'd stick to just trying to touch your toes!
02/02/2013 at 08:28
KR - I'd do both. Use the hilly one as a MP section of a 20m run the. Race the flat one. I did a hilly half at MP a couple if years ago with a 5m warm up and 2m cool down. It was a real confidence boost.

Ant - I've bad a lie in, not going put till 8:30.
Edited: 02/02/2013 at 08:29
02/02/2013 at 09:34

Good to hear your progressing well after what must have been a frustrating 2012 on the running front Birch.

I've built a Lego lorry this morning after I walked into the corner of our wooden bed last night coming back from the loo.  Rest day as I'm looking after the kids today whilst my wife is at work.  

10miles at 8:16m/m yesterday and feeling I need new shoes.  My current model is obsolete and I can't find any in my size so I'll have to get to Sweatshop at some point in the week and try a few pairs.

02/02/2013 at 10:36

Mr unconventional here, though id drop in and bore everyone with a few stats, to compare with same time last year i had done 122 miles . I think my body has adapted to the higher milage ok with no injuries or niggles,hopefully sub 3.10 is still on the cards, roll on April 21st

Count:20 Activities

Distance:198.72 mi

Time:25:21:24 h:m

Avg Speed:7.8 mph

Avg HR:152 bpm

Max Distance:19.07 mi

02/02/2013 at 12:10

Hmm, tempo runs alone on tired legs are never great, are they?  11M incl. what was supposed to be 6 @ HMP, but seeing as the fastest mile was 6.37m/m and the slowest was 6.48m/m (!) I think it was really closer to MP.  Breathing was fine, but the legs just didn't want to know...

02/02/2013 at 13:15

Just a 4-mile loosener for me this morning @ 7:12mm, before going off to the gym. The hailstorm was brutal, and unrelenting. At one point, the stones were so big they actually hurt. No, really.

I'm trying to concentrate on the idea of going into key sessions (tempo, reps, LSR) with the legs as rested  as possible, so am doing not all that much the day before. 20M tomorrow, then.

02/02/2013 at 14:02
Sounds fun Ant!

Good to see Poacher back in one piece.

How's the snow Minni?

Good tempo running from Jools.

15 miles for me this morning - good views from the top of Box Hill.

Off to Twickenham for the rugby - already anticipating a rest day tomorrow!
02/02/2013 at 14:06

Nice one Lorenzo - for both run and rugby

Nice Stats Carbloader

I managed 213 miles for Jan, so a good solid start.

Been a busy week and its not finished yet as have a night shift tonight, followed by a 10m race tomorrow

13m this morning inc a slow parkrun 8:15mm ave for the whole run...

Take care

02/02/2013 at 14:35
RFJ, I always used to find working a nightshift on a Friday night to be gutting. Good luck with the race tomorrow and enjoy the rest afterwards.

Joolska- nice effort on the tempos, which I think are def the hardest sessions, especially on your tod.

Enjoy your 20 Ant and enjoy the rugby Lorenzo.

Carbloader- getting in all those extra miles will make a difference.

Interesting run for me this morning, 7 miles with 10 sets of strides shouldn't be a problem. Trouble was a dog bit me just above the calf halfway on my canal route, only a little nip but enough to draw blood. I'm pretty sure my jabs are up to date as I was bit a couple of years back.

The dog owner never even apologized and said it was my fault for running! Incredible!

I may now carry a baseball bat when I go running as I no longer like jack russels or little old ladies.
02/02/2013 at 15:04
Jools - that's a good session, no doubt about it. Sounds like things are going well if those quicker miles are MP.

Ant - come back to Blighty! The weather is fine here. Lovely morning for running. Cool, clear and bright. A little on the windy side but you can't have everything. We have to gloat while it lasts!

Lorenzo - sounds like an enjoyable outing this morning. Enjoy the rugby. Sounds like your day is set up nicely. I'll be watching the first half on TV and the taking my son to cricket nets. I'm hoping to slope off to the pub while he is there to watch the last 20 mins.

Well, if you are only going to do justice to one session in the week best make it the long one. An enjoyable 21.2m in glorious sunshine this morning which, after some speeding up towards the end came in at 8.01 av pace which I think makes it my fastest run of the week. Brings up 53m for the week (a lot for me) and 72 for the last 7 days as I did my long run on Sunday last week. Legs feeling pleasantly trashed now.

... And then it all starts over again. Only 11 more weeks to go!
02/02/2013 at 16:07

GE - As the man said in the legendary joke, "I would if I could, but I can't." Enjoy the nice weather - you never know when (if) you'll see some again.

Moof - I'm a bit partickler about these things, but if that was me, that dog would've ended up in the canal, swiftly followed by its owner - with a boot-print on its a*se (the dog and the owner). Well, a Saucony-Triumph-9-print, anyway.

Great miles bagged by Jools, RFJ (a night shift then a 10M race? Good luck!!), Lorenzo and The Eagle.

Bike It - I can tell almost immediately when I need new shoes, even without mileage stats. Knees and soles of feet aching, more tired than usual etc.. Thank God for Wiggle.co.uk - a new pair arrived this morning.

02/02/2013 at 17:16

Nice miles being recorded.  Some dog owners can be total k***s.

4m for me this morning. Not pretty, fitness is so hard to gain but so easy to lose. Is it really 11 weeks to the big one? Anyone fancy a 3.30 train?

02/02/2013 at 17:42
Eh hang on Poacher - you and me have a sub 3:15 deal going on. You've got 11 weeks to get yourself sorted!

Better keep my pooch in check when Ant's about....

Hope the bite isn't too bad Moof.

Delayed start of my 20 today. First attempt at 9 failed because of sheet ice so went out at 12. Chose a hilly route with the second half hillier than the first. Struggled with the ice, hills and energy for the first 9 miles and thought I might not make it but then everything clicked into place and ran the last 6 miles at sub 8 m/m pace with lots of hills. Get in!

Lorenzo - hope you're enjoying the rugby. Nice win for England. My husband is Scottish....
Edited: 02/02/2013 at 17:43
02/02/2013 at 17:44
I also had a dog incident this morning as a scruffy mongrel cut me up in Richmond Park. I pretty much had to hurdle it (whilst hurling expletives in the general direction of the owner). I quite like dogs but, as they say, I couldn't eat a whole one!

Looks like it was a fun afternoon at Twickenham (if you are English)!
02/02/2013 at 17:57
X-post.

Sorry Minni. Perhaps we could have been more sensitive in the circumstances.

Well done on the 20 miler in what sounds like tough conditions. Nice strong finish.
02/02/2013 at 21:12
Good 20s from GE and a great one for you Minni in the icy hills

Sorry to hear about the dog incident Moof - as Poacher says it's really some useless owners who just don't have what I takes

I'll be sure to give you a wide birth if I bump into you with one or of our "elephant" dogs Ant. Not that they'd dare be bad asses to a runner- or indeed anyone

Good miles from you too for the month RFJ. Good luck in the 10 miler

Looking good in the stat s there Carbloader. Keep simmering and looks like you should progress well on the day

Hope you had a great time at Twickers Lozza

Damned cold and icy here. Ditched my proposed intervals and just tried to do some sort of fartlek sesh for 7 miles over the hills. Damned hard work and def working hard slipping about. Planning 18 first thing - need to find some quiet back roads methinks
Blisters    pirate
02/02/2013 at 23:54

A good weekend for long runs I see, and a bad weekend for dogs.

Bike ride for me, turned out to be 63 miles, but hanging off the back of group 1. I think that we call that a lactate threshold session.

Two hours after I got home, it was back out again, for club level cross country. 5 miles of energy sapping mud. Only thing was that I didn't have a lot of spare energy. 4 laps and I wanted to stop after 3. Shall we say that I didn't come last. It was close though.

03/02/2013 at 06:16

Birch - good to know things are looking up.
Ant - good tempo run. How was the hailstorm? That good, eh?
AR - that's a very fast 18 miler! I take a cold shower, but never tried an ice-bath.
FINgers - good running, especially into the wind.
GE - I was asleep before you got home! Good long run.
KR - most weeks I have a 12 miler planned. Not surprised you struggled with the reps after a heavy meal!
Mennania - good speed session. I would certainly call 5am first thing! I'm usually out of the house within 15 mins of getting up.
LR - well done on the 16 with 10 @ MP - that's a tough session.
Jools - glad the massage has done some good. That's a good tempo run on tired legs!
FW - Margaret Thatcher? I might just take up Poacher's suggestion!
Poacher - good to hear you're back safely.
OO - hope the hip is OK. Take is easy.
Minni - we had a bit of sleet/hail/snow first thing yesterday morning, but it didn't settle, thankfully. Good long run!
Blisters - good news on the calf. And well done on getting 2 sessions in yesterday - they all count.
BikeIt - I've walked into the corner of the bed before - very painful. Hope you haven't done any damage.
CL - good stats! (Not boring).
Lorenzo - see any more cyclists going up Box Hill? How was the rugby? (haven't heard the score yet. But just heard who won, thanks Minni!)
RFJ - great mileage.
Moof - hope the leg is OK.
Good day for me yesterday. 3 miles at 5am in the lovely weather. Than a really interesting few hours at the Harry Potter studios. Out very early this morning, for an 8 mile tempo run @ 6:53 m/m. Now going back to bed zzzzzzzzzz......

03/02/2013 at 06:42

Gul - Might I ask why you go so early? Especially if you then go back to bed? Just my curious nature.

Frazer - Never mind Yaktrax, it sounds like someone should invent a sort of skate-like attachment to trainers for use in the weather you've got.

Blisters - Good work ethic on display there.

03/02/2013 at 09:06
Well, that's 21 miles all done, off to watch a bunch of 7 year olds kick a football about.
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.