Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

24,241 to 24,260 of 37,140 messages
05/02/2013 at 08:37
My Garmin 305 replacement arrived today and looks new. That is a great service they offer for just 50 quid.
I'm going to keep uploading my data to Strava, if any of you lurk on the sub 3 thread (of course you do!) You'll know all about Lord Dids Strava exploits and all this 'king of the mountain' stuff. (Very funny)
Well I managed to bag myself a couple last week. The next night my local rival took one of them back. I'm off out later in my racing flats to regain my crown.
Sod VLM, this is for glory!
05/02/2013 at 09:01
Nice one Moof - I think it's a great service they offer.

Minni - will have to pass on the beetroot juice offer as I'm flying back south this evening. Next time perhaps?

Fraser - a few snow flurries when I set off this morning and a bit of snow on the ground but not too bad. Managed to make it down to Portobello and then along the coast to Musselburgh before turning back. 10 in total with the last few into a strong headwind. Definitely a good excuse to have some porridge for breakfast!

Scoobs - Abo in Scotland? Hope you stay away from the navigation controls on the ship!
05/02/2013 at 09:24

Carbloader said "My parents are ony 46-47 respectivley" - hmm, maybe time to reach for the carpet slippers and shuffle off this thread . . . . . .
btw, 3:10 for 29 yr-old = GFA  -  oxymoron, surely 

plenty of snow here this morn . . . .

05/02/2013 at 09:46

moof - what address did you contact Garmin on? Mine is on its last legs so I need to do something. I was looking at buying a new 210 at the weekend but I'd be happier paying 50 quid if my unit returns as new!

I'm older than your parents Carbloader! And I'm by no means the oldest on here!

Very, very windy and cold on the North Downs for my tempo run this morning. Should have been 9 miles with 5 at 7mm (about my current half pace). It was really tough and I almost cut the tempo bit out. Once I got started it was ok but couldn't get near 7mm. Averaged 7:12 but feeling like I was working harder than I raced last week (struggling to keep it under 8mm into the wind!) so despite the time it should have the right training effect.

No snow - thankfully!

minni - I was intending to do York but left it to late so had to rethink. I'm happy with Abo as a replacement though!

05/02/2013 at 10:08

Garmins do cost a lot, but when things go wrong they are really good at turning things round. Recently had a little problem with my 610 which was just under 12months old - received a brand new one within 2 days under warranty

Currently heart rate strap is playing up, with spikes all over the place. I have the soft strap - seems its a common problem, they just don't last as well as the standard straps.

I will be going for another trip to Abingdon this year - didn't realise entries were open already.

13 this morning, 9 @ 7:30, followed by 4 @ 6:40.  I was wanting to do 9 @ 75%, 4 @ 85% HR - but as I say, technology let me down

05/02/2013 at 10:15

Carbloader's presence means I am no longer the thread junior.  Dammit.

05/02/2013 at 10:33

Ha ha jools! However, bragging rights on this thread come at the other end of the age range

Great going AR. 4 @ 6:40 at the end of a 13 is good going.

05/02/2013 at 10:33

Sorry joolska, can you now hand me the nappy and bottle 

Also-ran I have had a few probs with my garmin but it only spikes for the first few mins, doesnt do it all the time though. Im out on a similar workout to you in a bit keping it MPHMP i really need to shift this lactate zone.

05/02/2013 at 10:48

Hi CL (new kid on the block!) ,  I used to get spikes at the start, then it settles down. Now its totally random - I think the strap is now shot.  The cheapest solution  for the soft strap seems to be the following:

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2010/08/solution-to-heart-rate-dropoutsspikes.html

05/02/2013 at 10:59
DS2- I called them on 08708501242 and made payment over the phone.
There is also a free (landline only) number 08082380000.

You can get the numbers from their web site so I'm sure they won't mind me sticking them on here.

I sent my broken (not faulty) watch off last Thursday and the new one actually arrived at my work Monday morning. That's a pretty good deal.
05/02/2013 at 11:30

Thanks moof. I shall get onto it today!

Carbloader - enjoy the threshold moving run! Do you run before school or after?

05/02/2013 at 12:14

Carbloader - my yongest brother is the same age (almost) as you so I will view you as a sibling if that is ok. 29 is a cracking age My first daughter was born on my 30th B'day so for me 29 marked the end of one of lifes passages and the start of another!

Stuck myself on to the upto 70 PnD for a couple of weeks to see how I get on and did my first double yesterday with a v slow 6 and 4. All very nice. 14 scheduled for me tonight.

05/02/2013 at 12:30

Talking about Garmins I've just bought a 110 off amazon for £89. A couple of things annoying me at the minute is the charging clip (instead of a cradle), and the fact that it keeps going into power save mode and switching off the GPS when the stopwatch isn't running. It also comes with no HRM chest strap so I hope my 305 one will work on it. A new 305 at £50 might have been a better option but I'm fed up wearing an old fashioned brick.

Lovin the fighting spirit moof! I'll be out for a 6 mile tempo (plod) tonight. Club session is on the track so I'll give that a miss for the sakw of my hip.

05/02/2013 at 13:50

DS2 & Mennania- 

Just Back from another steady stateTempo run 8.8 mi

first 4mi@ 7.15 MP followed by 4mi@ 6.25 ish pace.

The fist 4 mile at MP felt the hardest lol, anyway doing my first 20+ LSR tomorrow think ill take the jelly beans for that one

05/02/2013 at 14:39

Jools/CL - Oh, so all this time the thread pup wasn't me? Dash it all...

Awful CNBA symptoms playing havoc with my reps session today. I had decided on 8-9 miles incl. 3 x 2000 at about HM pace off 3-min jog recoveries, but while doing the first rep, I resolved to sack it and go home, giving it up as a bad job. However, during the jog recovery I thought I may as well do one more rep, and so it went on until I'd actually completed the session as planned. The reps came out in 7:59, 8:01 & 7:54 (6:25, 6:26 & 6:21mm) so nothing spectacular, but it's truly amazing how much psychological grief I heap on myself, when I bet if I did a session like this with a friend of similar speed (sic) it would be a no-nonsense breeze. Tsssskkk.

05/02/2013 at 14:42

That's great going Carbloader. I set all my PB's at age 29 - then Mrs DS2 decided she wanted children!!!! All downhill after that!

The 305 unit has gone back to Garmin. Looking forward to getting my replacement, even if it does still resemble a brick. Being mildly autistic I like what I like and change upsets me

Saved money can go towards the new trainers my feet are telling me I need!

05/02/2013 at 14:55

Nice session (in the end!), Ant.

15M for me at about 7.40m/m - bit of a guesstimate because Garmin had a mad patch on the out section of my out and back route and decided I ran the mile which included the Staple Hill tunnel in 6.07.  I'm sure that isn't the case.  I added an extra 0.25M on at the end and figure that probably corrected for the error, so the total run time of turns the average pace from 7.34m/m (Garmin's maths) to about 7.40m/m.  Or something.

05/02/2013 at 14:55

Minni - snow on the beach again, blowing a hoolie, best stay in the hills. Did you get an email.

10m this morning, chuffing cold, feeling seriously unfit

I've entered Abingdon too, it's not the most scenic but it's definitely quite fast. 

05/02/2013 at 14:58

Damn.  Can't edit my post.  It should say total run time of 1h55...

05/02/2013 at 15:13

Poacher - welcome home! Looks like we might have a bit of a train at Abingdon from this thread!

Nice going, as ever, Jools.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.