Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

24,261 to 24,280 of 37,190 messages
05/02/2013 at 15:45
Well if there is a train at Abingdon, I'm not getting on it if the bloke at the front is wearing a dress and has a fruit bowl on his head.
05/02/2013 at 15:56
Ant - those HMP miles run on your own always feel tough so well done for getting your act together.
In fact the first couple of miles in a HM I always think 'shit, I'm not gonna be able to keep this up!' (I've thought that on a few other occasions as well, but I think I'll keep those to myself.)

Joolska- some decent paces from you on your MLR's. PB shape for Wokingham?
05/02/2013 at 15:56

If he's carrying a load of bananas, Moof, I'd follow him and save yourself the effort of carrying gels.  And what a fabulous windbreak he'd make!  I'm just sorry I can't be there myself...

05/02/2013 at 15:59
I'm not really too sure on the nutritional value of plastic bananas.
05/02/2013 at 16:10

X-post, Moof.  Wokingham is a PMP effort with no taper.  Bath is theoretically a pb attempt, but mini-tapered only, so we shall see.  And I'd insist on real bananas.  Just switch them over at the start.

05/02/2013 at 16:29

The bananas are for the parrot to eat...no plans to take them to Abo anyway

Minni do you fancy a fancy dress train in London or are you OK with civvies?

05/02/2013 at 17:50
OO. Will def join you for a post run ale. I'm travelling from Rothbury so not far

Lozza. Quite nice down on the prom isn't it. Hoping to be chugging along there t a decent pace in may in the first of my attempts at a summer HM PB

Scoobs. I think there is somewhere in the borders or Dumfriesshire even called Abington. Mayb you're not insane after ll

Stick around Birch. We can all line our checked slippers up together in a nice little row round the fire

Jools. Think you can still claim bragging rights as a young at heart almost Peter Pan figure

Great session AR

Ant. Keep your confidence up mate. Your self deprecating approach is one of the elements that make you such a nice fellow but I do wonder if you sometimes should try to take a leaf out of a more self confident chap's book. There have been one or two guys who've posted on Stevie G's thread who have bordered on arrogance with their estimate of their own abilities but on some ways tapping into that self confidence is a knack we could all do with developing. It's certainly something I struggle with and then am pleasantly surprised when a session comes out on target. stick at it!

8 miles today on the treadmill. Included 8 * 600m at 5.35 (nominally 5k) pace. Bit sweaty again but not too bad
05/02/2013 at 18:13

I'd rather not be Peter Pan: to die would be an awfully big adventure?  Really, Peter?  I think it would be the end of all adventures!

05/02/2013 at 18:14

Frazerelli - know what you mean about that thread. Can't help myself going back for another peek every so often. Nice treadmill intervals - now its the rehydration intervals for you. Having said that I foud a nice gym near me where the air-con actually makes a difference when pounding out the reps.

Ant - I spend the first tempo mile telling myself "if only I can get through the first", then its the battle to the midway point and I think 'it's all downhill from here'. I think I am very slowly hardening up to those sessions. Still don't like it.

Jools - as ever continued impressive mileage and pace

I think I am revising my plans for Reading HM. Was going to 'smash' it, but now have the idea or running to the start, and then trying to see if I could match last years time (my 1st HM 1:28), and then wife drives me home. It would be slightly over marathon distance. Its just calling me to do it, not sure why.

Edited: 05/02/2013 at 18:15
05/02/2013 at 19:42
Scooby Dudek wrote (see)

6 slow miles d&d. As we say around these parts. 

And the first part of the double in the bag - a long time since that was said there

05/02/2013 at 19:51

Have I got morning and night mixed up - Gul is posting at the wrong 6:42!

Poacher - if in 10 weeks we find that I have speeded up enough to attempt 3:15 and you feel you can slow down enough to attempt 3:15 then we might just be on. 

Carb -  I'm not that old!!

05/02/2013 at 19:52

Gul;s staying up late - steady on there Gul you might turn in to a pumpkin in a couple of minutes

05/02/2013 at 20:07

The last few days have taken it out of me, (no suprise there) no mojo tonight and tired, so bringing my rest day forwards 1 day

05/02/2013 at 20:16

Jools Nice paced MLR.

CL Very impressive tempo

Ant Nice session bagged. I do all my training alone, I spend the entire day stressing prior to a quick session. I agree with Frazer about PMA.

Frazer  Thank you, it takes time but it comes back. I once stopped at Abington services (M74) on the way back from Glasgow. I remember being very hung over.*

Well a sub 4 this evening (that is 3.95 miles),to bring a total of 10.2 for the day.

* It was Friday 14th March 2003

Edited: 05/02/2013 at 20:20
05/02/2013 at 20:47

Missed a page of posts. 

Ant - well done on getting the session done in the end.  I know exactly how you felt during that session.  I often doubt my own ability when it comes to speed work  (and its often with good reason tbh) but its so satisfying  once  its done.  Like Scoobs I  usually  spend the whole day fretting about a session.

Jools - more speedy miles from you.

Poacher - yes, sorry I'll reply to you.

05/02/2013 at 21:13
Carbloader wrote (see)

The fist 4 mile at MP felt the hardest 

Not keeping up to date with the thread, but I guess someone must have done some running over the weekend, so well done to you. Not sure about Abingdon, but this year there seemed to be so many entries being offered up on the thread in July and August I'll not stress about deciding yet.

Fancy dress at VLM  Now there's an idea. 

05/02/2013 at 21:30

Frazerelli - Thanks for your kind words. No false modesty from me, but I promise I'll try to be a bit more positive from now on, esp as my marathon is next month , and to be honest I am starting to see things come together nicely.

Great treadie-bashing from you, btw. What is the max speed of those things?

AR - I will remember that advice on my next tempo run. Having a goodly-sized repertoire of mental strategies is vital.

Scooby/Minni - That is the one of the reasons for my doing all those sessions as early as possible (not Gul-style early, just sometime in the morning): once done, you think to yourself, "Well, what was all the fuss about? I am, in fact, The Man" and then feel great for the rest of the day.

13M tomorrow. Please can it stop raining quite so much?

Edited: 05/02/2013 at 21:32
05/02/2013 at 21:37
Here's how it's done Ant:

Managed 3 miles on the treadmill tonight. Sub3 at end of April is ON!!!!!

Ahem.
06/02/2013 at 06:35

SJ There is positive and there is... well , let's just say slightly optimistic.

14.55 miles d&d in a rather daper 7:58, including the last mile at 6:45mm

06/02/2013 at 06:44

Lorenzo - porridge with salt?
Birch - a bit of snow here yesterday evening, but fortunately it didn't settle.
DS2 - not ideal conditions for a tempo run.
AR - another great session there.
Mennania - nice double. Hope the MLR went OK.
OO - sensible move.
CL - good luck with the LSR.
Ant - that's a pretty good session what with all that going on in your head.
Jools -another solid run.
Poacher - must be a bit of a contrast from Algeria!
FW - good intervals on the ol' dreadmill.
Minni / FW - had to do something while Eastenders was on.
SD - well done on the early run! And nice finishing too.
Intervals for me today. 5 x 1200m off 400m recoveries. Aiming for 10k pace again, so about 4:48; turned out as 4:46, 4;46, 4:40, 4:48, 4:41, so not too bad. 9 miles in total.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.