Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

24,281 to 24,300 of 38,216 messages
07/02/2013 at 14:31

I run with the club because I'm too lazy when I run on my own- not a problem that most on here seem to have.

Had some big news today. My move Geneva is delayed 6 months. Mixed feeling but on balance I'm happy. At least it just gave me back my running season. 

07/02/2013 at 15:06

Keir - on balance I'm feeling good about my decision not to run this morning. I'd be more upset if I missed Sundays session so it made the decision fairly straightforward, although I don't like missing sessions. I think I will run tomorrows run pretty slow and make sure i don't put it under any unnecessary stress.

Mennania - one of the reasons I don't run with a club nowadays is that the sessions rarely meet with my schedule but I miss not having the company on some of them. I find that hard at this stage of a campaign when feeling tired and the weather is continually challenging. So I can understand why joining in with your mates will be good. Keir's idea looks a good compromise.

OO - sounds like that's pleasing news, but can understand a tinge of disappointment!

07/02/2013 at 19:42

Did the LT on my jack in the end - 11m in an ave of 7.08 with the LT bit ranging from6.30 to 6.14 but averaging 6.21mm - the usual elevation of 760ft so a pretty tiring session. Not as bad as I thought it would be and thanks to AR re the self conning get through 1st mile then downhill after half way mental trickery - tried it on myself and I fell for it - what a muppet! 

07/02/2013 at 20:13

OO - quick get on the reserve list for the Coastal!

07/02/2013 at 20:26

Lumbu, the one thing with the marathon is to expect the unexpected. It isn't like a half where I know that if I am fit I am going to be nibbling round 80 minutes and if I am unfit I will get little change from 90 minutes. The half holds no surprises. The full can be kind or can kill you. I ran VM last year and it went like clockwork, 1:24 and 1:26 for 2:50:28 smiley face. A friend did 1:58 at Bramly 20 and came out with a 2:54 so 56 minutes extra for those last 6 miles, another 76 for a half, went through half way in 80 and 2:57 for the full: crash and burn and the worst was ahead of me at halfway and 3:19 at the end.

Running again, 4 runs in 4 days, 30 miles and ticking along nicely. That Finchley 20 seems to be drawing me.

Edited: 07/02/2013 at 20:26
07/02/2013 at 20:37

Fingers crossed your knee is ok DS2.

Welcome Lumbu.  I ran my first marathon at 30, finished in 3.46 and said never again.  However, circumstances changed and I've ran VLM every year since 2008.  6 marathons done and a good improvement to show for it.  However, I'll always remember the first time they put the finisher's medal around my neck.  Very emotional.  Go for it!!

Jools - Go for it.

Good to see you back running Birch.  Hope all is progressing well.

And also good to see you back again PMJ. 

8 miles for me this morning by the Trent in Derby.  Ran progressively at a comfortably tough pace without pushing all out at any point.  Average pace was 6.53 with the last 800m at 5.38 pace.  I think this lack of miles is actually helping with being able to keep up the quality (although the two cyclists who saw me waving my arms to shoo a gaggle of geese would probably question the quality).

07/02/2013 at 20:49

Nice running from Menninia / Martin and good to see PMJ running again

OO my work mate has just flown to Geneva tonight for the weekend.....

Club session - Tonight - 2 x 5 sets of 400m of 100m rec and 200m rec between sets Ran to club and back just over 2.5m each way.... (Splits 1:29, 1:30, 1:29, 1:30, 1:30, 1:30, 1:28, 1:28, 1:28, 1:26 - very happy with consistancy) 8.5m in total

Take care

07/02/2013 at 21:10

Martin - interested in a running route in Derby, got to go there next week. Where is a good place to get onto the river bank?

PMJ - good to see you quietly training away, Finchley was hardly scenic but you had a good run there last year.

OO - no excuse not to enter some races now

I also promised never again after the first mara, but being weak willed have broken the promise repeatedly.

A double today but a pretty ugly one - 8.4m am, 10.1m pm. Slow, knackered, a bit rubbish really but it's kill or cure to try to get some rhythm back*

(*to avoid being chicked by Minni)

07/02/2013 at 21:16

At least the marathon's don't last as long as they used to Poacher! 

07/02/2013 at 21:23

Poacher - I was thinking today - will you not be on the red FGFA start in London because of your fast times?  Therefore you'll have to go in fancy dress from there?  Unless you're doing a record attempt (I think - as Martin did last year).

07/02/2013 at 21:36

No I think I'm green again, are you? It doesn't make any difference anyway.  There was a very impressive 7ft runner bean on green last year who overtook me at 18m, precipitating a battle to the death. The purple fairy was well fast, wonder who he was.

07/02/2013 at 21:39

Yes, I'm definitely green.   Don't know who the purple fairy was - bit of an attention seeker....

07/02/2013 at 22:11

13M this evening after a long day at work.  7.44m/m on a flat course and felt like I'd earned the Chinese takeaway I picked up on the way home

07/02/2013 at 22:45

Thanks Scooby fraz OO Poacher Slokey RFJ AvO Keir CL One Gear Golden Eagle Lorenzo DS2 Mennania Gul TR AR Birch PMJ Martin H and anyone I've forgotten for the welcome and advice. Nice bunch round here.

Gentle RR of 5M at 8:20 ish today, but slight niggle in ball of right foot. Anyone had one of these? Just a bit tender and sometimes feels like its vibrating. I'm a bit wary of any little problem what with all the stress fractures and broken bits that are apparently so common in us apprentices.

Another question (yes I'm exploiting this reservoir of knowhow for all it's worth - I'll buy all of you a pint should we ever meet (hopefully not all at once)): Shoes. What do you generally wear to race in? I have a pair of ascics gel 3030's that have done 550 miles and really suit me for training, but figure I need something lighter for actual races. Any recommendations, or is it just down to what fits? I was looking at something along lines of Asics Gel-DS Racer (in my experience Asics fits my feet best).

07/02/2013 at 23:01

Lumbu- Not sure you really need to worry about racing flats for marathons as such, sub Half marathon races maybe. All comes down to what suits you which involves trial and error, racing flats are definatly not a must have for us mere mortals.

08/02/2013 at 06:11
Poacher - by Pride Park stadium as easy to park. There is a cycle path that follows the river. One way takes you towards and through city centre and other way down by A6. Have only done the city centre route so far and got 4 miles to Darley Abbey before turning back.

Definitely an attention seeker when it comes to charity Minni!!!
Edited: 08/02/2013 at 06:15
08/02/2013 at 06:34

AR - another cracking session.
Birch - nice run.
Mennania - good LT run.
PMJ - good to hear from you, especially that you're building up nicely again. Good luck.
Martin - good progressive run - those geeese must have been traumatised!
RFJ - very consistent sets of reps.
Poacher - good double.
Jools - yes, I think that's worth a takeaway!
8 miles for me too @ 6:55 m/m, but more of an even effort after warming-up. Both tempo runs so far have been a bit quicker than intended - should have been more like MP rather than HMP!

08/02/2013 at 07:01

PMJ Nice to hear you are running again

Martin Nice progressive

Menn Nicely done. Would you like to buy some magic beans?

Gul Pacey indeed.

Poacher I am sure it will all come rushing back.

Lumbu I wear the same shoes. I believe for us mortals support is more important than lightness.

11 this morning with 6 miles (planned 10k) at tempo. Hoping for sub 40 min. Not good couldn't even get the first km sub 4. Bailed after 5, however I then bimbled some effort, bimbled and last 2k at effort. Total of 8km from 10k distance (4:08 pace for effort). 11 miles banked and move on

08/02/2013 at 07:45

Limbu, I wore Asics DS racers last year. It was my first marathon in light trainers and a lifetime PB (shoes weren't the only factor). I absolutely love those shoes to bits- the best I've ever had- and I have had a lot of shoes. They are getting a bit old now but I'll not risk changing them this year. I only wear them for races so they are still OK.

Welcome back PMJ- sound advice there. Sorry I didn't realise you were injured, or if I knew I didn't realise how serious it was.

10.5 for me last night. A pretty solid run with 7:30 for the last 2 miles. 

I'm already in the Coastal Minni- wouldn't have missed that

08/02/2013 at 07:58

Lumbu - I bought myself a lighter pair (Mizuno Wave Elixirs) for intervals and racing. Original plan was just to use them for shorter races but I used them at VLM last year and got a course PB.

Don't know if it was the shoes or not, but psychologically it felt good and made me think I was a "real runner"! 

Another cracking early run from Gul - I had a rest day today so was probably still asleep when you finished. You're showing some good speed at the moment - what's your target race?

Enjoy the Chinese Jools?

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.