Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

24,281 to 24,300 of 35,830 messages
06/02/2013 at 10:02

Cracking session, Gul.
Hope Ant remained dry on the 13 miler today  . . .
Frazer - tks - I was wondering if it may be slippers time, but checked ones (!) - in the words of an old folk song - "when the sun & the moon are on yonder hill - I know that will never, never be . . . . ." 
Interesting points re self-confidence bordering on arrogance - I think the trick is to take our sport seriously, but don't take ourselves seriously. Hard to do in my case, as I bimble around leaving a slimy trail  . . .mind you, I'm still a man of iron to some of my colleagues after walking 4.5 miles to work in the snow y'day . . ..

06/02/2013 at 11:35

Nice session, Gul - all under 10k pace!

5M into work for me this morning after a pretty brutal sports massage last night.  Legs felt surprisingly ok, but the pace was gentle.  I also discovered that if I let the two zips on my running rucksack meet at the top, they gradually work undone.  Thankfully I noticed before my underwear fell out of my rucksack...

06/02/2013 at 12:40

Birch - No, I got absolutely drenched right from the off, in possibly the worst weather I have EVER run in. Lightning, lashing rain and hail all the way round...despite which, I had a good run, 12.5 miles @ 7:19mm, which is not far off PMP at this stage. The only thing was my Garmin was playing up, so whereas when I finished it marked 13 miles, in fairness I'd probably run  half a mile less and on looking at the map later, this was borne out. The signal was all over the shop - probably due to the weather and through going round the city in amongst taller buildings which is never great at the best of times.

Still, no stopping on a run of 1:34, no weeing, no gels and no solid breakfast, and still I felt comfortable. This sub-3:10 lark is going to be a piece of p***!!

Edited: 06/02/2013 at 12:40
06/02/2013 at 12:43

Great session Gul, man of iron indeed.

I shall look forward to it Fraser- what your target time for Blyth?

5 miles for me last night including 10 hill reps. Starting to prep for the Honister pass in the Buttermere 34k on the 17th  

06/02/2013 at 13:02

Good (soggy) work Ant and a nice session from you as well Gul. 

Sounds like you need a paperclip or key ring loop around those zipper Jools.

06/02/2013 at 13:08

It's fine if I remember to put the zip on one side or the other, just not the middle...

06/02/2013 at 13:41

Make sure you alternate. Equal balance and all that. 

06/02/2013 at 14:32

Jools - I found the same thing out to my cost when carrying bottles of beer home in my rucksack...

Gul - Great session! What's your 10k PB and what are you going for?

06/02/2013 at 15:03

Starter for 10: (and big caveat that I appreciate a county vest isn't that important in the grand scheme of things, but it would be kind of nice...).  I'm in a pool of 6 for the combined Avon & Somerset Team at the Inter-Counties XC.  2 will be selected to run and 4 to be reserves.  Final decision being taken after this weekend.  Do I throw caution to the wind and try and run faster than MP on Sunday at Wokingham to show I'm in good shape (had only intended on MP run), or do I stick to MP?  Realistically I'd say I'm not in the top 2-3 in the pool of 6 so the inclination is not to bust a gut for a county vest, but thought I'd see if anyone had a different view...

06/02/2013 at 15:30

Do you have any indication that they will be looking at the Wokingham results? Are the other ladies also running Wokingham? 

06/02/2013 at 15:39

LSR done for the week- 20 miles @7.56 last 4 progressively quicker with 1mi at MP 

didnt help with a headwind for the 10 miles

Seriously though that 1 mile i did at MP felt pretty hard, then how on earth am i going to manage 26 of them lol. does the next 8 week + taper fix that? although i did do a fairly hard tempo yesterday and my legs were aching after 200m today so not exactly fresh legs

06/02/2013 at 15:47

Gul - great session that. Never easy mentally but great once completed.

Jools - lucky you noticed when you did

Keir - are you fully recovered now? I saw your race report on your thread. Same thing happened to me once, many years ago. It was exactly the same circumstances - immediately after a virus. I actually stopped completely as well. Soon got over it so I'm sure you can just put it behind you.

Ant - I got quite lucky with the weather first thing this morning for my 13.3 miles (in 1:47). Only rained in the last mile which I never mind! I felt really tired for most of it so pleased to run for that long on tired legs. More of a mental thing than anything. oddly, I felt better on the uphill sections than the downhill and flat parts.

Glad for an easy day tomorrow!

Jools - bigger picture??? Maybe a county vest another time?? Brilliant that you are in the frame though whatever you decide.

06/02/2013 at 16:05

Keir: I suspect they're postponing the decision to Monday because there is a Gwent league XC fixture this weekend, which I'm not doing because of the clash with Wokingham.  However, the only thing I can do to demonstrate my current form is to try and run a good HM time this weekend, so I figure it's something I need to consider. 

DS2: it's the bigger picture which is giving me pause for thought and making me consider not burning too many matches, as TR would say.

06/02/2013 at 16:27
Tough one Jools, getting that vest would be awesome! But so would a shiny mara PB and the 2 needn't be mutually exclusive. Personally I'd go for it. Just need to be sure that you can recover and not miss out on too much training this week and next. You could always go for it in the first half of the race and pull the pin if it's not happening to limit any damage.

CL, headwind, tired legs, 8 weeks to go. Course it feels hard. Now get back to work!
06/02/2013 at 16:39

Jools - go for it - plenty of time to replenish the matchbox . .

06/02/2013 at 16:58

Yeh - Go for it Jools

Nice session Gul, Carb and Ant.

14 for me yesterday with the first 7 of each at either end of the range and averaging out at 7.50mm on a very wet windy and lumpy route. 4 mile recovery at luch today and off to the pub after tea.

06/02/2013 at 17:06

I would be prepared to go for it Jools, but pull the plug if conditions or I didn't feel 100% on the day. It is worth burning some matches for, but no point killing yourself if you are not going to shine. I'd also email them the result post race if you want to be noticed.

06/02/2013 at 17:40

what Kier said. Not sure how long your race is Jools but MP in a short race isn't going to give you much benefit.

Nice pace Mennania.

06/02/2013 at 17:41

Difficult one Jools. For me I'm not too bothered if I pb VLM or stroll round in 4hrs, so I'm taking each race as it comes. But from the mileage you have been racking up it sounds like VLM is priority. If racing it won't derail your marathon training, then check conditions on Sunday am. Freezing, windy and raining together might decide it for you.

5m recovery today at 9min/m  - dry, sunny, slight wind, not far from Wokingham

06/02/2013 at 18:44

Evening everybody. New boy in class here. So I guess I'm here to join in the fun and meet some runners - I'm one of those that came to the sport a bit late (well I'm 29, but have only been running for 9 months) and so don't really know anyone who goes out for more than the occasional headclearer. I got the bug bad (witness 13M this morning, start time 6.30 am. Oh, and about 7:40 mm, with 900 ft of ascent). I'm doing  Edinburgh marathon in May, aiming for about 3:10. This will be my first marathon. Anyone think I'm an idiot, got any advice, doing Edinburgh? 

ps I like this tradition of commenting on others' workouts, but I won't presume to do so on my first day. 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.