Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

24,381 to 24,400 of 38,222 messages
11/02/2013 at 22:33

Nice one RFJ - while I was waiting for the finishers to come in on Saturday, I was chatting with a couple who were involved in the organisation of the Meon Valley Plod and it sounded as though it was going to be a tough one. Certainly was by your account!

Yet another cracking summary from Gul - nothing much to add to that!

Poacher - finally got around to listening to the full version of your interview on Marathon Talk. Thoroughly enjoyed it and I definitely heard a commitment to attempt GUCR again this year!! I was listening in the car so couldn't make a note of name of the book with tales from various extreme US marathons that you mentioned. What was it?

I felt suitably inspired by all the tales of running through wind, rain and mud to treat myself to just under 7 very muddy miles through the woods this morning. The wet and slippery conditions underfoot were expected given the rain yesterday; the attempt at snow this morning came as something of a surprise.

Looks like it'll be some speedwork for me tomorrow morning before heading down to the South Coast for work then back up for a game of squash in the evening.

11/02/2013 at 23:15

Some great result from the weekend racers.

I afraid I didn't zip up the mansuit like KR and I delayed my LSR from Sunday to this evening.  I fact I had a rather nice evening out with my wife instead.  So I've just run loops around my village in the snow and come home with 18m at 8:43 pace.  I don't actually think the weather was any better this evening actually, in fact I left the house in skiing gloves, a long sleeve top, 3 T shirts and a running jacket a hat and leggings.  I did make a brief pitstop to remove some things after a few miles though.

12/02/2013 at 00:17

Looks like everyone is cracking on well, the evenings are getting lighter and its nearly March

Anyway i have had 2 days off after last weeks 49 mile week(another record) ,im chomping at the bit(legs feel refreshed) to get out and knock out another 10/11 mi tempo. Hoping to go 50mi+ this week

12/02/2013 at 05:59

Nice little 6 miles shuffle at 9:09 pace

12/02/2013 at 06:37

Starting to feel the pressure of doing daily summaries now!
FINgers - Pleased to hear things are going well. Sounds like you had a good week. What's the target for Brighton?
DS2 - must be a relief to know it was a false alarm with your dad.
OO - most people would take it easy before tackling something like Buttermere!
Moof - hope you get some inspiration for Mrs Moof's birthday.
Blisters - Good running.
Lorenzo - snap! Hope the speedwork went ok. Presumably not in the muddy woods!
Bike It - very nice LSR.
CL - things progressing well; sounds like the rest has done you some good.
More 10k paced intervals this morning - or at least that was the target. 9 miles in total with 4 x 1M @ 10k off 400m recoveries. Target 10k pace is 6:26 m/m. Started off too fast and then eased up to finish a bit more consistently: 6:09, 6:22, 6:19, 6:21.
Aplogies for missing Scooby - good early shuffling!

Edited: 12/02/2013 at 06:38
12/02/2013 at 07:21

I am taking it easy compared to some on here Gul. Rest day yesterday, club GP tonight- a 3.6 mile race with 4 mile warm up and down. I haven't had a good one this year so interested in how it will go.

I wondered where you were going with the 'pear shaped' Blisters.

It's great when you feel like that Carboloader  

12/02/2013 at 07:54
Gul - definitely need to be going sub 90 to be anywhere nearly still on target for VLM but really should be going faster than that by now. 87mins
Lorenzo/poacher - what episode of MT is it? I fancy a listen.

Intervals for me today - 6-8 x 3mins off 90 rec says the Paula plan... She also tells me if I wasn't racing this weekend I should be doing 10 reps.
Edited: 12/02/2013 at 08:40
12/02/2013 at 08:18
Lorenzo wrote (see)

Poacher - finally got around to listening to the full version of your interview on Marathon Talk.

I am a few ahead of you, eventually got to listen to Poacher last week. Episode is http://marathontalk.com/podcast/episode_154_derek_ivens.php and I really liked the suffer versus hurt analogy. I reckon I am in the hurt camp and so a lot of the tactic is to run it fast enough that it just hurts and I don't start to suffer. This year is a little bit about learning how to suffer so Newcastle Town Moor is a 5 lapper (I did Finchley 20 last year with Poacher and that is four 5 mile laps and I was quite pleased to start the last lap and don't know how I would feel if there was an extra  one) and I will also put in more longer but slower long runs so I hit 3 hours a few times.

Minni, how soon does Newcastle fill up, if it does?

12/02/2013 at 09:17

Good reps Gul

Good luck with the club GP tonight OO.

Took the indoor option today and went off to the gym to do 14m treadmill MLR, while watching the Kiwi's smash England in the 20/20

12/02/2013 at 10:02

AR - 14M on the treadmill is almost as much punishment as watching England play cricket. Well done for sticking at it - and running, as well.

Gul - Nice set of reps, there. Were you fielding?

I got some reps done this morning in far less traumatic fashion than in recent weeks, although trhe rain was coiming down so hard in the first two that I found myself laughing, while very nearly packing it in...but of course I kept at it and in the end the times were 3:58, 3:58, 3:56, 3:50, 3:52 & 3:45. Best of all, the 2M home @ 7:00mm felt like I was jogging.

Can I keep it at 4:00min/km on Sunday?

Now to enjoy my day off. A quick summary of what I'll be doing:

Edited: 12/02/2013 at 10:03
12/02/2013 at 11:55

Greetings Gang

Still alive but I'm not yet running - basically been out since May now but I think I may be not far away from running again. In fact if I hadn't had my worst dose of lurgi in years last week I might well have been trying it out this week.

Anyhow, my reason for popping in is to invite any of you within shouting distance of Windsor to come along to our free marathon training run on Sunday March 24th. It's 20 miles starting at 9am from Home Park in Windsor and going out through Datchet & Old Windsor to Virginia Water, then a lap round the lake and back to Windsor. There's one serious uphill and downhill plus a few undulations, but it's a nice course on pavements, quiet country lanes & paths in Windsor Great Park. There will be marshals at all junctions, and 4 drink stations spread more or less evenly around the course. And it's FREE. We usually have 60-70 runners of all standards from local clubs. If you're interested drop me an e-mail at chairman@datchetdashers.com and I'll send you details.

I'll now return you to your regular scheduled programming.

Edited: 12/02/2013 at 11:56
12/02/2013 at 12:47

Nice training idea BOTF, hope you're running again soon

Nice running too Ant, put your feet up now.

Lorenzo - Running Through The Wall by Neal Jamison . It's not up there with Born to Run but it's interesting enough. There are probably cheap copies on Abe Books. Scot Jurek's Eat and Run is also interesting and has some good vegan recipes thrown in.

PMJ - I hadn't worked out the difference between suffering and hurting until Tom pointed it out, he was spot on, and I realised I had accidentally hurt myself enough over the short distances for it to take the suffering out of the longer ones. And had also assumed very wrongly that huge endurance meant all round mental strength. I think anyone who can hurt themselves enough to bag a fast HM is on the road to fast mara.

As for Newcastle, it is indeed 5 laps, some people love it and some hate it. It is generally cold and windy too.

12/02/2013 at 12:51

Very consistant reps from Gul and Ant

AR I fortunately missed both the cricket and treadmill running.

BOTF Nice to hear from you again. Hope the road is smooth once you are back on it.

Just listened to the MaraTalk interview. I definately enjoy suffering more than hurting. I have the same opinion about parkrun that Poacher used to have. It makes me want to run one regularly. I need to remember when I get home.

Fish and chips for lunch in prep to a 4 mile bimble this evening.

Edited: 12/02/2013 at 12:53
12/02/2013 at 13:02

Indeed Scooby, if you equate suffering with long runs and hurting with short ones, you can see why a mix of the two make a decent training plan. Hurting is the harder option for most of us which is why it's so easy to shirk the tough stuff. Parkrun is a user friendly short sharp dose of hurt. Enjoy the chips .

12/02/2013 at 13:15

Just back from 12 with 4 at hmp all around 6.20. 13 of them would have hurt quite a bit.

12/02/2013 at 16:39
Bit late to comment on the weekend's antics. Lots and lots of cracking stuff going down by the looks of it

Swift reps from you today Gul. Always easy to do the first one too fast isn't it

Hope it goes well tonight OO. Is the wether behaving your way?

Poacher's moment of fame is well worth a listen for those that haven't had chance yet

Good tenacious stuff from you Ant. Maybe running in the pissing rain is the key for you! Not another Spanish festival. Get some work done you lazy lot;-)

Nice HMP run fom mennania

8 for me with 4* 1 mile @ HMP off 400m jogs. 6.06 pace - I'll bite anyone's hand off for 13 of them in the summer
12/02/2013 at 18:40

Nice HMP Menn and Frazer

4 miles in a rather dashing 8:54 to bring up 10 for the day.

Blisters    pirate
12/02/2013 at 21:35

Bit of a bike this morning.
Bit of a swim this evening.
With last night's run, people will start to get ideas.

Black and yellow lycra?

12/02/2013 at 21:38

Just listening to Poachers MT interview.......

7mi tempo today @6.45.......well i thought the 2 days rest would of done the trick errrr no. I have run faster longer tempos that have felt easier, im putting it down to increased milage and just one of them days.

Anyway like some have said on here accept it and move on to the next session

12/02/2013 at 21:43

Eye patch and wooden leg for you then Blisters. But keep your hands in your pockets when Frasers around otherwise you'll end up like Captain Hook!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.