Sub 3h15

For anyone trying to crack the 3h15 barrier anywhere in the world

24,401 to 24,420 of 35,648 messages
10/02/2013 at 12:28

Its a never ending battle with the kids Ant - the totally superfluos use of like as punctuation  is a particular annoyance. Actually getting the eldest one to talk to you at all is hard work. 13 yr old daughters -  just dont start me..

10/02/2013 at 13:09

17 for me this morning before the wind ground me down...

any race reports?

10/02/2013 at 13:18
While we wait for heroic HM reports here is my xc report from North East Harrier League, Wrekenton, yesterday.

Quick check in. Definitely made the right decision to do the XC today.
Did 3 this morning with the dog (and because I need to do a double today for Febulous) and felt slow and tired.
Arrived at the XC with only half an hour before the start so immediately went into warm up and ran some on the course. Couple of tasty hills in there. The weather was quite still but cold. The start was delayed and delayed and I kept doing loops to try to keep warm but it wasn't easy - nipped off and got my gloves.
Finally off. Started in second or third row and was happy to let people go off. Since I was feeling tired I'd decided I wasn't going to push it as I still have my 20 to do tomorrow.
First hill came and I started to pass people. One of those hills that was just a bit too long and a bit too steep to feel comfortable but I felt ok. Down the other side and still passing people. Through lots of mud but felt I was making good ground - I was passing lots of people but there still seemed to be a lot ahead of me. Second hill came and I felt really strong going up it and passed a couple of people then two who were running side by side didn't want to let me past. But they made a mistake - one of them obviously wanted to show me she could run faster and pulled away from her friend, giving me room to weave around them.
Around past the start and onto the second lap. The first of the fast group passed me on the descent and by this time I was almost running on my own, apart from a skirt ahead. Yes, a skirt. I think a touch of testosterone kicked in and I thought no one in a skirt is going to beat me so gradually caught up with her and tried to kick a bit of mud as I passed. Second fast lady came past - there's no way you can catch them (I found out later that the first one is a pro triathlete ). Just before the last hill a speedy one from my club caught up, quick chat and went on. Almost finished - I just needed to hang on but to be honest I didn't feel as if I was dying so it was fine. Into the finish straight and a quick glance behind showed nobody was going to catch so cruised in. 8th place overall (the club got 5th, 8th & 24th and that has moved us from 5th to 2nd place in the league). 4 miles 28:35. I didn't even realise I was so far up so it was a lovely surprise.
10/02/2013 at 14:15

I half considered the XC yesterday Minni- a good few from my club enjoted it, except for the mud! Good effort by you and the club team.

10/02/2013 at 14:40

Sounds like a tough long run yesterday Mennania.  Well done for toughing it out.

Good long running too Lorenzo.  Sounds better than the marshalling!!

Excellent XC Minni.  Being promoted to the fast group can surely be of benefit to you.

Good to see you managing the tough run/life balance Speedy.  Amazed you can run the mileage you do.

Impressive 23 miles Scooby and excellent mileage.

Ant - Excellent pace for your 20 miler.  PMP is looking good at this stage.  Keep positive.

Just on easy 3.8 miles for me this lunchtime on very tired and hungover legs.  42 miles for the week.  Longest of the year.

10/02/2013 at 15:01
Wokingham for me today, cold, wet and a little on the windy side in the second half. I got there a bit on the early side and spent about 45 mins in the bag tent freezing my knackers off.
Since the conditions were less than ideal I thought about leaving another layer on, but manned up in the end and braved it in just a vest (which we all know is the best option once you get going). Left my gloves on though, but there were plenty around with the same idea so I didn't feel to ashamed.
A two mile warm up, then five minutes hanging about and then we're off.
My pace felt fast but comfortable for the first few miles and I had decided before the race I wasn't going to look at Garmin pace and try and keep a hard and hopefully doable pace.
There was a fast girl about 20 yards in front and I spent most of the race. Unsuccessfully, trying to catch her. Got there in the end at mile 11, then me and this other guy raced each other for the last couple of miles.
My legs were feeling heavy at this stage but we both battled on, I needed to open a gap in the last half a mile as I'm not a fast finisher, I thought I'd done enough but he just pipped me at the end.
Well I managed a nice new shiny PB by 1min and 10 secs.

New HM time, 1.22.05. Very please with that and gives me the confidence that a sub 3 may just be on. So goal achieved.
10/02/2013 at 15:13

Nice one Moof, a big PB and certainly there or thereabouts for sub3. FWIW I went from a very similar HM to sub3 last year so you should be right in the frame. A good day's work

Nice XC too Minni

Edited: 10/02/2013 at 15:13
10/02/2013 at 15:19

Moof - great race and PB especially in those conditions.

Minni/Speedy - as impressive as ever

Good long running from lots of others.

Mennania - 13 year old daughters...............try a pair of them...........with Aspergers Syndrome!!!

Anyhow, pleased to say I am officially off the bench and back. Did a steady 12 on the way home from work on Friday and 18 today in awful conditions with the last 10 pretty close to PMP. Felt absolutely rubbish at the start but once I ran a bit quicker it seemed to come together and my legs suddenly felt strong.

Had a carp evening last night when I got a phone call to take my Dad to A&E because they'd got the result of a poteassium blood test and it was through the roof. Anyhow, a further blood test, ECG and exam later (plus 4 hours) we were on our way home. All seems ok - but a bit of a worry and wasn't in the best of frame for todays run.

Did get talking to another runner at the hospital who was there after injuring herself at XC so evening flew by talking running exploits

10/02/2013 at 15:33

Nice XC Minni and a promotion as well. Good efforts all round on the long runs too.

Got to Wokingham still a bit unsure what to wear on upper half. After a few easy miles before the start I ended up wearing my Gore jacket. OK - first Rookie mistake of the year as I slowly steam cooked around the course.

The plan was to try and PB, but also get in some miles at 6:06 pace to see if I can work towards a sub 1:20 later this year. I just couldn't get into the pace and ran around 6:15 pace, with a quick last mile to come in at 1:21:46 which is a slight PB. I'll take that given the day.

Well done Moof, my sub 3 came off the back of a 1:22:10 on a course with perfect weather conditions, and no undulations. All bodes well.

10/02/2013 at 15:38

Nice shiny new PB there Moof.

10/02/2013 at 15:46
Well done Minni on the XC.

Speedy, glad you're managing to keep your high standard of training up.

Lots of good effort by others, mennania puking, and DS2 off the temporary niggles bench. Hope your dad is ok.

Good news Ant on hitting some decent MP.

Well done to you MartinH that your training is going in the right direction. Although, I'm pretty sure you'll run be a decent time and better than most bar perhaps one on here, off of 'moderate' mileage.
10/02/2013 at 15:50
Also ran- great time. I saw a few people overdressed and steaming at the end.
10/02/2013 at 15:57

Moof & AR, both great times in tough conditions. Definately in sub-3 territory I'd say.

10/02/2013 at 16:18

Brilliant PBs from Moof and AR. I don't expect to get anywhere near those times at Loughborough next month and I'm still hoping to sneak under 3 hours so it had better be possible off those times!

Took a bit of a tumble 19.67 miles into my 20 this morning. I have a big ugly lump and graze on my chin, a smaller lump and graze on my knee and a bigger but less painful graze on my arm. It's dangerous, this running lark.

10/02/2013 at 16:22

Gah!  Sodding 3G (am on train) gave up on me just after I'd typed my post...

Well done Moof and AR, who are clearly made of far sterner stuff than me.  I settled for MP once I'd seen the conditions and tbh legs felt a bit tired during my warm up.  Scores on the doors 1.28.00 (Garmin - need to check results), which I'll take, especially as part of a 69M week.  Plan now is to do the last 6M of the Bramley 20 at 6.45s next week.

Sorry I didn't catch up with any threaders, but it was so blimming cold - I was shivering all the way back to Reading!

10/02/2013 at 16:39

Good work, AR, Moof - I can tell you sub-3 def on with those times
Jools - good end to a decent week - and best strategy to make pacing decision beforehand rather than wasting energy changing tack mid-race.
Blimey, Speedy - no fun taking a tumble with nearly 20 miles in the legs ! 

6 hungover miles in the sleet this a.m. - finally takes me past 100 for the year to date

10/02/2013 at 16:54

Well done on the LSRs Scooby, Ant and Speedy (hope you are OK)

Great PB's from Moof and AR

Jools, well done (hopefully see you at Bramley next week)

Copied from else where -

WET, WET, WET, Meon Valley Plod (21m), quite possibly the worst conditions that I have ran in, freezing cold winds, freezing cold rain, freezing cold puddles, freezing cold streams that had overtaken the footpaths, and mud that was over a foot deep in places..... but I loved it.... the splits tell the story - 10:09, 7:57, 7:15, 11:17, 7:53, 9:29, 7:58, 10:26, 8:29, 9:15, 8:45, 13:12, 9:29, 9:51, 9:54, 11:09, 9:48, 12:06, 6:58, 8:32, 8:05, .55, spot the hills rivers and mud against the road sections / down hills..... 12 mins fast than 2 years ago and its now 1m longer too, bonus.... hardest I have had to plod for a medal, the marshalls were truely outstanding today.. it was bad enough running in it.... Great race, cant wait till next year already... racing is not everything, this despite all the elements was still a spectacular race.... thanks to all at PJC and again to all the marshalls..... oh did i mention the hills.... 2, 323 feet of elevation...

Take care

Edited: 10/02/2013 at 16:54
10/02/2013 at 17:18

Well done Moof. Phew 1:22 is very fast. 

And you too Jools.  My friend AA from the sub 3:30 got a new pb at just over 1:30.

20 miles just finished.  Cold and wet and tired but at least its done.

10/02/2013 at 17:43

Mennania/DS2 - You have, like, my sympathy.

Excellent HM PBs from Moof and AR, and a very solid performance from Jools, too. For the record I got my sub-3 after a 1:22:36 HM.

Speedy - Photo? Hope you're o.k.

RFJ - That sounds like fun...I think. Well done on the race PB.

Good miles from lots on here - what a level of committment. Nice mention for the CCSTFT on this week's MT, btw. 

The weather is just apocalyptic over here - I was so lucky to avoid it this morning. Went out for lunch, got back home and it was straight into jim-jams and dressing gown, whereas my friend went off to the football. I'll be watching it from my sofa, I think...if you don't mind....

10/02/2013 at 18:28

Lots of good long runs being posted.

Great PBs from Moof and AR.

Wokingham for me today as well but the plan was 18 miles with 13 at MP.  Given my lack of anything approaching MP over the last 4 weeks I was just aiming for sub 1:35 for the HM.  Managed 1:33:xx, so pretty happy with that.  More importantly, managed to feel in reasonable shape at the end of a 74 mile week.  It can only get better

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.